Wait, so it's a max value of $800? That's retarded
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I retarded or am I correct in reading this as an actual requirement?
I could see it maybe being an $800 minimum just to keep people from showing up and wasting everyone's time with some airsoft scope that won't hold zero.

But then you could get a decent $750 rifle and throw on cheap $50 scope and get the same result.

I'd like to try it with my SCAR, longer barrel and Vortex 1-10, but that's a little over $800.

Yup. He said something like “think your dad’s old hunting rifle”. Doesn’t want a bunch of guys bringing tier 1 shit for this particular one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yup. He said something like “think your dad’s old hunting rifle”. Doesn’t want a bunch of guys bringing tier 1 shit for this particular one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could see it maybe being an $800 minimum just to keep people from showing up and wasting everyone's time with some airsoft scope that won't hold zero.

But then you could get a decent $750 rifle and throw on cheap $50 scope and get the same result.

I'd like to try it with my SCAR, longer barrel and Vortex 1-10, but that's a little over $800.

Skip the class, it's not worth your time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
$800 for rifle+glass or $800 for rifle and another $800 for glass? The former doesn't sound doable, and latter is either and ok rifle with shit glass or vice versa.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why on Earth would that be a requirement for the class? How much is he charging?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d like to try it with my SCAR, longer barrel and Vortex 1-10, but that’s a little over $800.

Why on Earth would that be a requirement for the class? How much is he charging?

Not sure on the price of the class yet.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]
T/C Compass and Vortex Crossfire II.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you put together a rig capable of hits at 600-1000 yards for $800? Probably.

Do I want to spend a whole day with a group of people dealing with the problems that arise with $800 rigs? No.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yup. He said something like "think your dad's old hunting rifle". Doesn't want a bunch of guys bringing tier 1 shit for this particular one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. He said something like "think your dad's old hunting rifle". Doesn't want a bunch of guys bringing tier 1 shit for this particular one.

That just makes no sense. I can see wanting to keep students from bringing cheap junk that fail and hold up the class, but am not understanding why it would matter on the other end of the things.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate the feedback. Haven’t signed up yet. Lots of cool replies and suggestions so far though. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d like to try it with my SCAR, longer barrel and Vortex 1-10, but that’s a little over $800.

Unless it's free, it's too expensive. That's a stupid requirement.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Scout sniper...800 dollars...308....  Precision and poverty are a match made in heaven. Nothing for that is going to be worth a shit and is going to make for a miserable class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at taking a scout sniper course later on in the year. Not a lot of info on the course yet but preliminary info: rifle and glass must cost or be valued at $800.

What do you pick and why?  I know prices are higher now, but I think “normal pre-pandemic price” would suffice.

Scout sniper...800 dollars...308....  Precision and poverty are a match made in heaven. Nothing for that is going to be worth a shit and is going to make for a miserable class.

I think that the above probably should have read at least $800 and above. Trying to exclude  any real junk set ups.

I know of more than a few sub $1000.00 rifle and glass setups  that would get the job done.  Spending huge amounts of money will not always get it done..... all things being equal it's the driver .  You can't buy your way into the skills needed and a good shooter doesn't need the latest, greatest, most expensive gear out there to get to 600 yards.

I have nothing against good gear just that for something like this, top shelf isn't needed.

Maybe the jist / purpose of this class is to teach hunters how to shoot longer distances accurately using their deer rifle...... and many setups are capable of doing that.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Weatherby Vanguard Select and the best glass you can find for $250.
View Quote

13th Post Nails It. This is a solid rifle for the price. SOLID

Here's your optic.

Now someone will show us the rings and base for 50ish
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ruger American with an SWFA fixed 10x
View Quote

This. Unless you can buy used.

Then Ruger American, with athlon midas tac used
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Take the most accurate rifle you already own, and slap the best $800 scope you can find on it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Savage 110 and Leupold VariX-II
View Quote

I've vot a VariX-III on my 700 in .22-250. Got it for $850 with 450 rounds of factory ammo.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Howa or Savage and a Swfa or Nikon scope
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya'll are gonna kill the shit out of paper plates.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It’s a “unique” course that Ed Calderon and his sniper buddies are doing.

May or may not happen, but sounds like a cool challenge.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if $800 is the minimum cost to eliminate the$40 Barska scopes
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#23]
You might want to look at used equipment.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Savage 110 and Leupold VariX-II
View Quote

Thread is now closed. Or should be.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Ed Calderon is fucking solid. OP if you can, can you PM details on class if it’s in the DFW area. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ed Calderon is fucking solid. OP if you can, can you PM details on class if it’s in the DFW area. Thanks!
View Quote

I don't think some posters here have an understanding of what this is about.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#27]

This. It sounds like its a challenge to accomplish the most with the least.

OP the Ruger or Savage and SWFA is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be delighted if you could enlighten us.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

No disrespect to Ed, just doesn’t seem like his skill set and bringing his “hobo-tactical” thought process into a sniper class is fundamentally correct.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I see the ruger american mentioned a lot.  I would be cautious of them.  They turn into shotguns after a few rounds.  
Savage hog hunter an option? That has more of a bill barrel.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This will most likely be in Utah. He’s doing a mini weaponology and urban movement course in Dallas this year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Savage Model 10FP or Rem 700 Tactical then spend whatever is left on glass.

You don't want to be carrying them around all day though...
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No disrespect to Ed, just doesn’t seem like his skill set and bringing his “hobo-tactical” thought process into a sniper class is fundamentally correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just checked my notes and it’s an “urban scout” rifle course.

Also his buddies are vets part of the USMC scout sniper association. The only guys that helped out Ed when he had a credible death threat on his life.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#35]
T/C Compass in 308. (Mine in 6.5CM is crazy accurate and I paid $220).

Vortex Pro Series Low 30mm Rings

SWFA fixed 10x scope. (Or an Athlon FFP if you can find a good deal.)

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naw, keep thinking on it though it might come to ya!

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What fundamental skills are going to be learned using inferior equipment, especially if you already have superior equipment available to you?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
It sounds like a "A Fudd Goes To War" sort of thing.  

Like if you loot your dad's sporting goods store to go slot Russkies with your pals and  two hot chicks.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I think running a class on the premise that you might not always have access to tier 1 or 2 equipment is an interesting scenario. Ed Calderon is no dumbass and I'd probably take this class. I wouldn't necessarily call it scout/sniper but maybe "Long Range with Elmer Fudd" or something like that.

OP posting here already has people thinking way outside the box.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ruger American with an SWFA fixed 10x
View Quote

That’s a great recommendation right there. I’d also toss out a Savage 10 as a very accurate and capable rifle.

The SWFA 3-15 could be an option as well, depending on where you buy it and how much the rifle is.

800.00 would barely cover the barrel on a custom rig.

I haven’t read the entire blog but I’m sure multiple people have suggested some Vortex, like a DB Tac or whatever.  Don’t do that. You’re gonna want the scope to work while you’re at the class.  The unlimited lifetime warranty that you’re going to need is worthless when you’re engaged in a course.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think that the above probably should have read at least $800 and above. Trying to exclude  any real junk set ups.

I know of more than a few sub $1000.00 rifle and glass setups  that would get the job done.  Spending huge amounts of money will not always get it done..... all things being equal it's the driver .  You can't buy your way into the skills needed and a good shooter doesn't need the latest, greatest, most expensive gear out there to get to 600 yards.

I have nothing against good gear just that for something like this, top shelf isn't needed.

Maybe the jist / purpose of this class is to teach hunters how to shoot longer distances accurately using their deer rifle...... and many setups are capable of doing that.

View Quote

I don’t give a shit who you are if your using a scope that doesn’t track, hold zero let you see the target or a fucked gun that doesn’t go bang when you pull the trigger or doesn’t send the bullet the same place you won’t hit shit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What fundamental skills are going to be learned using inferior equipment, especially if you already have superior equipment available to you?
View Quote

That’s where I’m at. I understand for an organic medium/weaponology/ urban movement class specializing in permissive environments with limited access to gear/ tools, but it seems like a stretch for some type of scout/sniper class.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I already did it.

Remington SPS tactical .308
Falcon Menace 4x14 mil dot reticle
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmm, I’d want something short and handy for urban use. Can’t think offhand of many 16” 308s (Ruger scout but more than $800) or 16-18” shorty 6.5cm rifles. Does the $800 include modifications? A 6.5cm Thompson center compass II with the barrel cut down to 16.5” would be pretty neat. Would have $450 to spend on glass. Could probably get a used swfa 3-15 for that money.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:56:56 PM EDT
[#45]
If you could get every hunter with a .270 and a 3-9 scope to spend a day learning (actually LEARNING) some basics and firing 50 rounds, you could create a large number of solid shooters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Also his buddies are vets part of the USMC scout sniper association. The only guys that helped out Ed when he had a credible death threat on his life.
View Quote

I’ll take a 14.5-16” AR and a LPVO then.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Unless it's free, it's too expensive. That's a stupid requirement.
View Quote

Even if it was free, it's still too expensive with the current ammo situation.

I guess a class requirement of 2 boxes of green box Remington seems fitting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Honestly if I were putting together a "budget urban sniper" course I would mandate that scopes aren't allowed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#50]
400 for my hog hunter and 350 for a 2.5-10x32 votex.

I forget what I spent on the accustock

Attachment Attached File

Nowadays? Idk, find a cheap .308 ADL and leupold 4x
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top