Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2020 5:07:36 PM EDT
I am wanting a 2x72 belt grinder. I am just a hobby smith. I have a budget of $900-1500. I am looking at OBM, Ameriblade, Pheer, and AMK. I want a turn key system. My questions are do I need a variable speed? Is 1-1 1/2 horsepower enough. I am looking for a flat patten and I want a contact wheel. I'm not sure what size wheel I should get. Any recommendations or experiences you could share would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome op !!  

Im working on getting one too.

I cant help with reccomendations as I dont know who makes complete set ups,  im working on building mine from scratch.  Iv got a 3hp / 3500 rpm  treadmill motor I picked up at the scrapyard for $10.00 ., and going to buy a complete  chassis off ebay for around $350.00. Then buy a dc motor controller for $100.00.

I think I can build my 2x72 for about $500 bucks this way.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a KMG with a 2hp motor and variable speed.  I have made a few knives, but it is mostly for metal work.  I have a 10 inch wheel, flat platen, small wheel attachment and the rotary platen.  The 10 inch wheel has worked great for me, but I mostly use the flat platen to square up metal before welding.

Sometimes I wish I had a 3hp motor because I can bog mine down hogging off steel.

Since I bought mine a bunch of companies have entered the market and there are many plans and videos to make your own.  

I use mine almost daily.  

Good luck!

Took a quick pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to be modifying my 2x48" in the near future to take tool arms and use 72" belts.  

My grinder is powered by a 2hp air compressor motor (I don't recommend one, it's price was right for me $0) to change speeds I have to change pulleys, which isn't too big a deal and I actually find myself using the slowest speed I have access to right now for everything and it's not too bad. I'm going to be modifying mostly because of the better belt selection/value and for the ability to use tool arms as I only have a flat platten now. The first attachment I'm going to get is a flat platten, then a small wheel kit (for profiling blades) then an 8 or 10" contact wheel.

If I was starting from scratch with the experience I have now, the order of priority I'd look for is;
At least 2hp,
A design that uses tool arms (not a grizzly or Kalamazoo),
Variable speed,
The ability to tip and run horizontal.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Northridge Tool grinder a couple of years ago. It has been an amazing tool. It goes from horizontal to vertical in 2 seconsa and runs smooth enough to sit a nickel on it sideways at full speed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I sold some stuff and have ordered an Ameribrade grinder package. I went with a 2hp vari speed, 8in contact wheel, flat platen, small wheel holder, a couple of spare arms, and I said what the hell get the stand and the new hinge to make it horizontal!  I know ya can't buy skill, but I hope having this tool will allow my skills to improve!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top