Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2022 5:20:14 PM EDT
I have a 2020 Tacoma that I want to put an awning on this fall for car camping.

What side does everyone use, drivers or passenger for the awning and why? Any pros or cons on one side over the other?

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll play.

I'd put it on the right side (passenger).

If you're sleeping inside, you'll have more room on the passenger side vs the drivers because of the steering wheel & pedals. Plus you don't want to clutter that area with living items.

The awning while stored will be on the right shoulder side. Meaning other vehicles will only be exposed to it while you're passing them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll play.

I'd put it on the right side (passenger).

If you're sleeping inside, you'll have more room on the passenger side vs the drivers because of the steering wheel & pedals. Plus you don't want to clutter that area with living items.

The awning while stored will be on the right shoulder side. Meaning other vehicles will only be exposed to it while you're passing them.
View Quote

There's a reason that sounds hard to beat -been wondering about this myself.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Passenger.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I went driver, but I had no logic.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I went drivers side, but that’s because I have my tent setup to open on the passenger side. I either sleep in the bed of the truck or in the tent though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine is on passenger side.

Mostly because our camper has an awning on that side so it just feels natural. Most of the car awnings I see are on that side, however I do see some on the driver side. I don't think it makes much difference.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I put mine on the driver's side.
I like to park facing south so the fridge in the rear stays northward and mostly out of the sun.
The morning sun from the east is not bad, temps still cool,  the vehicle acts as a wind and sun block from the west.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#8]
it depends. I have a roof top tent that is passenger side open so the awning had to go drivers side.
Not sure if you plan on running a RTT ever or not, otherwise Id probably go driver, probably easier to keep an eye on it and not bang it into stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It could depend on what else you have going on.
I mounted my tent, so the ladder is on the passenger side so the awning is on the driver's side.

Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]
My tire swing out swings to the passenger so I went drivers side. It doesn't really matter, just figure out the other aspects of the truck and dive in. I love my awning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top