BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In house paramedic cert? People still do that? I mean I dont like NREMT as much as the next guy but thats crazy . I lnow plenty of people that passed the community college only to fail registry. Myself included
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EMSA starts EMTs at $11/hour. They're so shitty that most other ambulance services don't accept their in-house paramedic certification.
In house paramedic cert? People still do that? I mean I dont like NREMT as much as the next guy but thats crazy . I lnow plenty of people that passed the community college only to fail registry. Myself included

EMSA did/does, not sure if it's still offered since they dropped AMR recently.  It's free with a time commitment.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

EMSA starts EMTs at $11/hour. They’re so shitty that most other ambulance services don’t accept their in-house paramedic certification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wages for Privates around here start just above garbage.   The companies are usually stepping stones for employees who are worth a damn.   Until they can move on to RN or FD jobs.  

That said.   I have heard stories about FD guys bigger cities that do not transport.   Their skills either degrade to the point of incompetence, or they never developed them because they have never worked a box.

I'm fortunate to work a dual role job.   Skills stay fresh, but I get to work the 9% of calls that are fire.    
Fwiw, ems is 50% of our budget income.   We are able to keep  positions funded.   I try to hammer that home to the new guys to keep the bitching down.

EMSA starts EMTs at $11/hour. They’re so shitty that most other ambulance services don’t accept their in-house paramedic certification.

Minimum wage is $9.75

I guess $11 is almost livable if you work a 56 hour week.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I've transported kids in the back of a cop car. Once is usually enough. I've transported kids in the back seat of our crew cab paramedic trucks. I saw a crew bring a 700# male in in a department utility truck with a lift gate. I'm guessing people have been hauled in a fire engine on my department. I never did it but wouldn't hesitate if there wasn't any other option and the need was critical. I don't think anybody on my job would say anything other than good job.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So you are judge and jury on what fire requests.  And you scream Chicago fire......C.O.mutherfuckinC!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, you need to be onscene for that.

But, we have fire request upgrades all the time for ridiculous reasons or they want us to take refusals because "it is to much paperwork."

Again, NONE of us were there. For there to be reprimands means something not in the article occurred.

But! But! But! On Chicago Fire!!
So you are judge and jury on what fire requests.  And you scream Chicago fire......C.O.mutherfuckinC!

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This. Just about everywhere you go, it's EMS where the local government skimps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Governments get exactly what they pay for with EMS. Nobody wants to pay what is costs to have an ambulance available for every call.
This. Just about everywhere you go, it's EMS where the local government skimps.

I was always amazed that the city actually found people to take the job.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do engines not have airway and other medical stuff on the rig? I thought it was pretty standard for all firefighters to be EMTs with quite a few of them paramedics.  Seems kind of pointless to have EMTs/medics with no medical gear when most of your calls are medical.
View Quote
Im a Critical Care Paramedic operating at EMR level because a private ems agency has a monopoly on training, employment and the state legislature cornered
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im a Critical Care Paramedic operating at EMR level because a private ems agency has a monopoly on training, employment and the state legislature cornered
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do engines not have airway and other medical stuff on the rig? I thought it was pretty standard for all firefighters to be EMTs with quite a few of them paramedics.  Seems kind of pointless to have EMTs/medics with no medical gear when most of your calls are medical.

Holy...crap.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top