Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As the son of a former fire chief, I can tell you the petty shit and drama that goes down in fire departments is as bad as middle school girls fueding. It's unnecessary and brought on by boredom and a clique mentality.
View Quote

I quit my volley squad after about 2 months. I could not believe that 60yr old overweight men could be so petty. But then with the drop in sex drive an T levels , it kinda makes sense...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If I were the toddlers parents I would be on every tv station praising the fire fighters and screaming about the emt response. I would make the politicians feel my ire.

Sometimes the wrong thing is the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That sums it up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who tells a child with burns he has to wait for union cocksucker to show up instead of being transported to a hospital is plain evil.

That sums it up.

Having been a severe burn victim, I concur.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I almost made that call a couple times myself, but didn't for fear of what's happening to this guy.  Sometimes you just don't have enough EMT's.
View Quote

A toddler with burns who is probably screaming and in intense pain?

Yeah, I’m transporting her. Write me up, take some of my vacation hours, whatever you want to do. At least I’m able to sleep with myself
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I quit my volley squad after about 2 months. I could not believe that 60yr old overweight men could be so petty. But then with the drop in sex drive an T levels , it kinda makes sense...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As the son of a former fire chief, I can tell you the petty shit and drama that goes down in fire departments is as bad as middle school girls fueding. It's unnecessary and brought on by boredom and a clique mentality.

I did 16 years, but I don't think I'd ever go back after the bullshit i saw in that time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Should have been “Why’d you do it?” “Okay, don’t make a habit of it.”
View Quote

Right.
Sounds like some shitty command staff (shocker) rubber stamped it and didn’t look at the situation in whole
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

And also by shit command staff who hasn’t done the job in 15 years but wants to tell the ones who do it every day how to do it
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
This is another case of when "doing the right thing, isn't doing the right thing" bureaucracy/semantics/technicalities/Fuck-fuck Games.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds like it was already squashed. "Internal corrective action" is "Atta boy, but I'm gonna have to put on a show."
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sounds like BS, the EMS is trying to cover their ass. Do an open records request and pull all of EMSA records and let’s seen what their response time is
View Quote

Yep

They were butthurt they took heAt for taking so long and filed a complaint
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It sounds like it was already squashed. "Internal corrective action" is "Atta boy, but I'm gonna have to put on a show."
View Quote

He lost his command of the truck he was in charge of over it. That’s bullshit
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I literally had some worthless POS on a "fugitive task force" say in a debrief "yeah, but you shouldn't have done that because we would have been immune anyway from liability".  Seriously that POS just thought that as long as you don't have any liability I guess you should just sit by and let innocent people pay the price.  There is a reason (among many) that I have nothing but absolute contempt for "cops" after a decade moving among that filth.

ETA: Yup, there's absolutely is a subset of "cops" that will be more than willing to fuck your/my/our children's rights.  I'll keep my opinions of what should happen to that filth to myself for now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Bear in mind 2nd degree burns are the most painful.  I’d transport.  I hope rules change over this
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone who tells a child with burns he has to wait for union cocksucker to show up instead of being transported to a hospital is plain evil.
View Quote

This.  A Pox on everyone in this situation defending the EMS provider's position.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep

View Quote
They can kiss my ass.  2nd degree burns over entire body???

3rd degree can offer some pain relief with nerve damage.  2nd degree is GUARANTEED pain.  And a kid.  

All of them can go sit on the curb.

Our old chief wrote a book about this shit(I'm on the cover).  Do the right thing the rest will work itself out.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why the fuck was the response time over 20 min?
That’s Detroit during the Great Recession kinda shit.
View Quote

Its true. I was there. DFD was using using the number of police transports as a quality metric. It did drastically decrease during my time there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

View Quote

3rd degree can offer some pain relief with nerve damage.  2nd degree is GUARANTEED pain.  And a kid.  

Our old chief wrote a book about this shit(I'm on the cover).  Do the right thing the rest will work itself out.  
View Quote

This is the way.

Unfortunately in today's world, you're taking a bigger personal chance than ever doing the right thing over following protocol.  I don't envy you guys who are still doing the job an making the tough calls.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Should have been a simple "based on the circumstances he made a call to get this child the medical treatment he needed. While technically against policy no punishment or discipline is warranted"
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As the brother of a FF/Medic who has saved lives, I applaud the Major's decision to transport but do understand why he must face the music.

If they let this rule slide, what's to stop someone from breaking the next rule?  Slippery slope.

My brother responded to a rollover minivan on the expressway.   Vehicle was upside down in the ditch.  Driver suffered a spinal cord injury, no sensation from neck down.

My brother tells one of the FF that he is calling for LifeFlight and to inform the state trooper that he needs to shut down the expressway.

FF comes back and says, "Trooper said you're not shutting down his expressway"

Wrong answer.  My brother went to the trooper and said, "I have a patient w/ a spinal cord injury.  I'm calling in Life Flight and I'm shutting down the expressway" and with that he hopped up into the engine and parked it sideways across the expressway.

I love telling that story

View Quote

It’s a great story, I’ve read it once before a couple years ago.  Keep telling it, the “not my job” bystander mentality is un-American.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
For the people blaming the medics, what were they supposed to do?  Ignore what happened and not report it?  Lie?  Were they supposed to risk their jobs to protect the Major?   Did they actually file a "complaint" or did they simply report what happened in an attempt to get ahead of it coming out -which was going to happen- and them being disciplined or fired for not reporting it.

The problem isn't the medics. It's the department's leadership.  The Major did the right thing.  He should have taken his lumps and carried on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I suspect the medic who filed that complaint isn't going to get any love or support from the fire crews.  Sounds like a straight up Blue Falcon
View Quote

Seems like if his house ever caught on fire, the FD might get stuff in traffic on the way to put out the fire.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Be ironic if the medics house was on fire and the response time was say 2 days.
View Quote

Not like they're saving much more than a basement anyway.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#24]
He will be subject to "internal disciplinary measures".

Boss says "That was naughty, don't do that again" (while wagging finger at him)
And then follows up with "Good job, I would have made the same call" as he is walking out of the room.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#25]
The FD here just started running their own ambulances here as the  2 private services in town were so shitty and ridiculously expensive
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Detroit was worse.  Hours.  They had 3 ambulances at one point.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A toddler with burns who is probably screaming and in intense pain?

Yeah, I’m transporting her. Write me up, take some of my vacation hours, whatever you want to do. At least I’m able to sleep with myself
View Quote

I cringe at a lot of things you post.

However. In this instance. I agree. I’ll At least be able to sleep at night. My soul would rest easy.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Private ambulance doing private ambulance shit. This is AMR to a T. Looks like whatever shit company they have in OKC is no different.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit.  We had 5 ambulances in a town of 45,000 just not always enough volunteers to man them at night, and the longest we ever waited for mutual aid was 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I wish it gave the time of arrival at the ED
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#31]
EMSA and the fire department are different. EMSA seems like it’s been a shit show for years. That firefighter did the right thing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
EMSA and the fire department are different. EMSA seems like it's been a shit show for years. That firefighter did the right thing.
View Quote
Hell yea he did.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Working in the hospital i can safely say that the "rules" are merely loose guidelines.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For the people blaming the medics, what were they supposed to do?  Ignore what happened and not report it?  Lie?  Were they supposed to risk their jobs to protect the Major?   Did they actually file a "complaint" or did they simply report what happened in an attempt to get ahead of it coming out -which was going to happen- and them being disciplined or fired for not reporting it.

The problem isn't the medics. It's the department's leadership.  The Major did the right thing.  He should have taken his lumps and carried on.
View Quote

It reads like it’s two separate departments

The real investigation should be why the medics weren’t on scene within 20 minutes

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And then follows up with "Good job, I would have made the same call" as he is walking out of the room.

View Quote

Did you even read the article?

He lost command of his engine company
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
How did I miss this post.

No offense, nothing personal but....

FUCK THOSE MEDICS
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Been there done that. Transported a crushed hand during a minor Hurricane. Nobody said squat. We have our own EMS transport with ability to call BLS private AMR by suppression apparatus. If the ETA is 30 minutes or more for a BLS private rig our transport truck is dispatched. BLS privates are always late, get lost or no shows. Usually newbs, slugs or can't hack EMT's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It reads like it's two separate departments

The real investigation should be why the medics weren't on scene within 20 minutes

View Quote
BOSS nailed it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I work in a process/policy rich environment but can always find a way to back my guys up when they go outside of it with good reason.

Very poor leadership not to support your team publicly (even if you bollock them privately).
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Chief Lasky? If so, he did his Pride and Ownership class at my department two years ago. He seems like everything a firefighter could want in a chief.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Confident lug and I have similar views on this one

Just don’t shut the road down to get the patient there lug
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
EMSA and the fire department are different. EMSA seems like it’s been a shit show for years. That firefighter did the right thing.
View Quote

EMSA's been a dumpster fire ever since AMR cancelled the contract and then COVID pretty much decimated how many available trucks are on the streets at any given time. Our agency now has a dedicated truck sitting in OKC for mutual aids for EMSA. A lot of shit has gone south since I worked for EMSA.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Sometimes good people must break the rules to do what is right and needs to be done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#44]
For the record, EMSA is a city trust ambulance provider that was run under contract with Western Division(Oklahoma City metro) and Eastern Division (Tulsa metro) under AMR until recently.
Oklahoma City Fire is under the City of OKC directly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mmhm. Sometimes ya gotta make a judgment call, and you need to know your own skillset well enough to know if you're qualified enough to make that call.

Common sense dictates that a serious burn vic, near-guaranteed to not have any trauma that mandates ambulance transport, (Neck brace, isolated cab, strapped into stretcher, vitals monitoring, etc, etc) ought to be transported to the ER ASAP.

Their chief is a dickless coward, should've had the stones to make the announcement that the officer in question would be disciplined, and leave it at that. EMT's want to push it, make it a PR nightmare for them; they don't have the personnel or trucks to do their damn job, and through both negligence and incompetence, they would've let a little kid burned half to death suffer just to cover their own asses.

This is a shitshow.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Whoever is complaining should be sued.  They didn't
have the patient's welfare in mind.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Been there.  As a rookie Deputy still on probation I once told a State Trooper "Fuck you, go direct traffic." at the scene of a head on collision.  He was upset the FD wanted a landing zone in the middle of his highway.  One driver was in the process of bleeding out and the other had two broken legs and was screaming for her daddy while they sawed the car in half.  And that cock sucker was worried about traffic backing up a bit.  

I got called in to a meeting with the Sheriff over that one on my day off.  The Highway Patrol was furious over my treatment of their Trooper.  We went to a local restaurant and he bought me a scotch and soda.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That’s happened a few times too and it’s ended up with the firefighter in handcuffs.  
View Quote

Fire/ems overrules leo at an accident scene with injuries here, as they should.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#49]
The family of the burn patient should sue the medic and company/agency for taking so damn long in a metropolitan area that should have a response time of less than 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Not going to arock myself but my FD did something similar. (With 0 complaints from us) If my response is extended I announce the eta on the radio with that in mind: so the family can hear it. But yea they risk having their PP slapped which is bull shit in my mind.  We are rural though.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top