User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 10/23/2022 6:07:05 PM EDT
here

Hard to pass this up....
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
What can you hear on these worth hearing ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Hold it close to you ear and you can hear the wouxun

Actually that is a really good deal.

For education purposes:

How To Unlock A New Baofeng UV-5R - Easy UV5R Jailbreak To Transmit On More Frequencies
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
FYI, from what I've read you need to also purchase a Nagoya antennae and programing cable to make it worthwhile.  Drives up cost to $70ish IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
That’s also older version with less power.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
It's just a bit more, but the UV-82 is a nicer radio. Whatever you do, make sure you get a programming cable and learn how to use Chirp to program them. Using the keypad on a Baofeng to manually program will make you want to kill baby seals and punch small children in frustration.

Make a Chirp file and clone all your Baofengs with the same settings and stack them cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-82-Power-Portable-Antenna/dp/B09496MLH3
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's just a bit more, but the UV-82 is a nicer radio. Whatever you do, make sure you get a programming cable and learn how to use Chirp to program them. Using the keypad on a Baofeng to manually program will make you want to kill baby seals and punch small children in frustration.

Make a Chirp file and clone all your Baofengs with the same settings and stack them cheap.

View Quote

This guy knows whats up.  For a little more than $100 you can outfit a family, or a neighborhood with comms.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This guy knows whats up.  For a little more than $100 you can outfit a family, or a neighborhood with comms.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whole family is outfitted
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
they are great weather radios. and you can listen in on the hams that are broadcasting.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
They'll do 2m/440 on the ham bands, GMRS/FRS and monitor weather freqs. Also can listen to FM broadcast.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends. When I first got mine a couple years ago I was a dum-dum and didn't realize they didn't have CB frequencies. Not much in my area that isn't on P25 Phase II digital either. I can listen in to county school bus shenanigans. . I think the most I've used them so far were at nascar races where they really came in handy.

Other than that you can use them with and without licenses (depending on frequencies) for close range LoS comms. They can do a lot, you just have to know how to use them. If you're dong hikes/hunting where your get out of cell range they can be handy. Portable weather radio too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe you can set it up to scan a bunch of channels. I haven't taken the time to do that but, since it monitors two channels simultaneously, I put in the local police dispatch channel and fire dispatch channel. I hear all the action and the extended battery I purchased lasts forever. Pretty cheap scanner for $22!
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#12]
OST

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FYI, from what I've read you need to also purchase a Nagoya antennae and programing cable to make it worthwhile.  Drives up cost to $70ish IIRC.
View Quote

Any handheld radio with QRP output is going to be hamstrung with the craptastic negative gain rubber ducky antenna they are sold with, doesn’t matter if is a Boafeng or Kenwood or Yaesu
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The finest amateur radio you can buy.  Get one for yourself and all your friends!  Licenses?  Whatever.

Sad hams entering thread:

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They'll do 2m/440 on the ham bands, GMRS/FRS and monitor weather freqs. Also can listen to FM broadcast.
View Quote

Some of the newer radios do not have FM capability due to a chip shortage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#16]
ordered.
really want to use it to listen to local PD and fire.

would unlocking it benefit?  

no, i will not be talking through it or doing anything like that.

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ordered.
really want to use it to listen to local PD and fire.

would unlocking it benefit?  

no, i will not be talking through it or doing anything like that.

View Quote
Go to radioreference and see what the folks that you want to listen into are using. I think most people would be surprised how much is on digital(encrypted) already.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

And don't forget the flashlight
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#20]
OST
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

You do not HAVE to buy a cable as you can program via the face. BUT, a programming cable and CHIRP makes its MUCH easier and faster.  

Same with the antenna. They work with the stock rubber ducky. BUT, a better antenna will get you further out.

CHIRP (Its free software)

Programming Cable

Luiton Antenna

Magnetic car antenna that works for CHEAP

Another good option for entry level HT - Retevis RT85. 200 programmable memories vs UV5r 125

UV5R's are the cheap gateway drug radio..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for heads up on this.

Been thinking about getting in to ham radio.

Sounds like a fun thing to get in to with kids
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Depends. When I first got mine a couple years ago I was a dum-dum and didn't realize they didn't have CB frequencies. Not much in my area that isn't on P25 Phase II digital either. I can listen in to county school bus shenanigans. . I think the most I've used them so far were at nascar races where they really came in handy.

Other than that you can use them with and without licenses (depending on frequencies) for close range LoS comms. They can do a lot, you just have to know how to use them. If you're dong hikes/hunting where your get out of cell range they can be handy. Portable weather radio too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walmarts use MURS channels for employee comms.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#24]
This site costs me too much money.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OST

Bigger_Hammer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OST

Bigger_Hammer

@Bigger_Hammer
listen to this guy
Quoted:

Send me a PM if you need something closer to hands on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do GMRS or FRS first and see if it's something you'll enjoy. It may not be for you. Way less effort to get a GMRS license than a ham license.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]
The short answer is that most fire, police and EMS are using a trunked system and you cannot listen to them using this radio.

it’s possible that if you live in a rural area there may be certain limited channels that you can listen to.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Just ordered two.

What else do I need...just starting out
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The finest amateur radio you can buy.  Get one for yourself and all your friends!  Licenses?  Whatever.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Triggered-143.gif

View Quote

Ham entering, not sad.  Pretty much all rules except not causing intentional interference are suspended for any transmission related to a legitimate emergency (risk of danger to life, health, or property).  When that emergency comes, you don't want to try to look up a youtube video and dick around with trying to unlock your chineeseum radio while you're being washed away in a flood or something.  Just don't be a dick.  Maybe you'll get interested enough to want to participate and get a license and all that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just ordered two.

View Quote

See my post above...
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The short answer is that most fire, police and EMS are using a trunked system and you cannot listen to them using this radio.

it’s possible that if you live in a rural area there may be certain limited channels that you can listen to.
View Quote

Most departments have a VHF FM simulcast of one or more trunked channels.  

Also with an SDR and some software, you can listen to any trunked system, even P25 phase 2, as long as it's not encrypted (and most aren't).
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just ordered two.

View Quote
Download chirp and get a programming cable. Go to RepeaterBook and see what's in your area. Program them and see how active it is in your area.

Program the GMRS/FRS channels. Use the FRS channels around the house license free. Get a GMRS license and get a few more licenses. If you want, take your tech exam test and get on 2m/440 repeaters in your area.

You don't have to actually program the GMRS/FRS if you don't want. Just punch the frequency in on the key pad. Since they're simplex(radio to radio line of sight) anyway.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You do not HAVE to buy a cable as you can program via the face. BUT, a programming cable and CHIRP makes its MUCH easier and faster.  

Same with the antenna. They work with the stock rubber ducky. BUT, a better antenna will get you further out.

Programming Cable

Luiton Antenna

Another good option for entry level HT - Retevis RT85. 200 programmable memories vs UV5r 125

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/465930/20221015_171919_jpg-2573809.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Programming Cable

Luiton Antenna

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/465930/20221015_171919_jpg-2573809.JPG

That antenna is kind of crap, even for $10.  Also note that it's UHF only.  The dual band is also $10 but they both have weak magnets that like coming off when you drive.  Think about wrapping a rare earth magnet in foil and putting it between the antenna and car roof.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You and your family will be much further ahead with a handful of Good GMRS radios and either a mobile GMRS radio with a decent antenna or handhelds that are repeater capable using a repeater in your area. Having your own repeater pretty much ensures your own family ability to communicate locally in a ‘SHTF’.

I’m telling you this a General class (mid level, HF privileges) HAM licensee. Getting your family into HAM can be like teaching a pig to sing… just get a GMRS family license for $90 and go play with your radios.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You and your family will be much further ahead with a handful of Good GMRS radios and either a mobile GMRS radio with a decent antenna or handhelds that are repeater capable using a repeater in your area. Having your own repeater pretty much ensures your own family ability to communicate locally in a ‘SHTF’.

I’m telling you this a General class (mid level, HF privileges) HAM licensee. Getting your family into HAM can be like teaching a pig to sing… just get a GMRS family license for $90 and go play with your radios.
View Quote

@TheOtherDave
$35 now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought one last year for sledding up north after the request of my buddy and it worked great in the rolling hills and valleys of the UP. It makes disappearing into the forest without him/as a group so much easier.

As mentioned, absolutely buy the programming cable and download CHIRP. I have never touched/owned a programmable radio and had it ready to go within 15 minutes with all the FRS and GMRS channels with CHIRP.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Just ordered two with some of the goodies posted here. I’m really need to work on my license.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

-all manner of health woes of the advanced in years.  Hemorrhoids, constipation, bladder issues, pretty much every 2m morning round table is an update of all of the medical woes of the community.

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

-all manner of health woes of the advanced in years.  Hemorrhoids, constipation, bladder issues, pretty much every 2m morning round table is an update of all of the medical woes of the community.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true.

Also not to fudd it up, but getting the low level license is almost as hard as setting up an account here, and you'll possibly learn how to use the radio without getting dog-piled by fudds effectively.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You and your family will be much further ahead with a handful of Good GMRS radios and either a mobile GMRS radio with a decent antenna or handhelds that are repeater capable using a repeater in your area. Having your own repeater pretty much ensures your own family ability to communicate locally in a 'SHTF'.

I'm telling you this a General class (mid level, HF privileges) HAM licensee. Getting your family into HAM can be like teaching a pig to sing  just get a GMRS family license for $90 and go play with your radios.
View Quote
Preach, brother. I have a stack of Baofengs as a General Class as well. I also have a GMRS license for exactly the reasons you describe.

Don't tell the other hams at the meeting, but I use my Baofengs on GMRS all the time. I'm not buying another set of handsets just for that.

#BreakinTheLawBreakinTheLaw (imagine Beavis as you read this)
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Preach, brother. I have a stack of Baofengs as a General Class as well. I also have a GMRS license for exactly the reasons you describe.

Don't tell the other hams at the meeting, but I use my Baofengs on GMRS all the time. I'm not buying another set of handsets just for that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and your family will be much further ahead with a handful of Good GMRS radios and either a mobile GMRS radio with a decent antenna or handhelds that are repeater capable using a repeater in your area. Having your own repeater pretty much ensures your own family ability to communicate locally in a 'SHTF'.

I'm telling you this a General class (mid level, HF privileges) HAM licensee. Getting your family into HAM can be like teaching a pig to sing  just get a GMRS family license for $90 and go play with your radios.

Also the GMRS license is $35 for 10 years now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#43]
How far can these reach in mostly flat suburbia with the stock antenna? With a better car antenna?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How far can these reach in mostly flat suburbia with the stock antenna? With a better car antenna?
View Quote

A mile or two at best.  A couple more miles with a vehicle mount.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ham entering, not sad.  Pretty much all rules except not causing intentional interference are suspended for any transmission related to a legitimate emergency (risk of danger to life, health, or property).  When that emergency comes, you don't want to try to look up a youtube video and dick around with trying to unlock your chineeseum radio while you're being washed away in a flood or something.  Just don't be a dick.  Maybe you'll get interested enough to want to participate and get a license and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<<<Licensed since 1964. It's nice to know that some folks still follow the rules. Amateur operators are always the first to help in a REAL emergency, and if you're just some schmuck with a radio and no training or practice, you just tend to fuck up the entire situation. Kinda like firearms...
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's true.

Also not to fudd it up, but getting the low level license is almost as hard as setting up an account here, and you'll possibly learn how to use the radio without getting dog-piled by fudds effectively.
View Quote

Getting a tech license just requires memorizing answers for several hundred well-known multiple choice questions.  Toughest part for me was setting up the online proctored exam, with two webcams on me.  The introduction the 5 proctors made took longer than the five minutes I needed to answer the 35 quesions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have some antennas on the way to do some science in this.

I will be running the antennas up into a tree on each UV5R and checking simplex range on 2 meters against Yaesu HTs.

Eta: hand programming these UV5Rs from the face is a real pain in the ass, but it is doable if you have a zen like patience.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
<<<Licensed since 1964. It's nice to know that some folks still follow the rules. Amateur operators are always the first to help in a REAL emergency, and if you're just some schmuck with a radio and no training or practice, you just tend to fuck up the entire situation. Kinda like firearms...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  If you've never used that radio, even if it's unlocked and you think it's ready to go, you really won't have much of an idea of what to do and what will work (or if your stuff will still work).  It's going to go much better for you if you got a license so you can get some practice in with other people in a drill.  Sure just having it is better than not having it, though probably not by much.  Having it and knowing how to use it is much better than those.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Getting a tech license just requires memorizing answers for several hundred well-known multiple choice questions.  Toughest part for me was setting up the online proctored exam, with two webcams on me.  The introduction the 5 proctors made took longer than the five minutes I needed to answer the 35 quesions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true.

They take that crap way too seriously.  Yes they need to have the exams and a reasonable assurance of integrity, but they go way overboard because most of them seem to be completely unfamiliar with modern computers and social interaction.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Beware.....learning radio is not a 5min side project.  I spent some time every evening learning a bit more and more about radios and how they work.  What to do and what not to do.  I spend a lot of time studying for the test.  I decided to keep going and got my amateur extra license.  Its been a fun hobby and something to nerd out on.  

On the other hand my wife got her tech license after studying for about 2 hours.  She aced the exam and missed general by 1 question.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top