Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2021 5:15:22 PM EDT
I need a new truck, and my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 isn't cutting it anymore.  Looking at a 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4x4 with the 5.7 HEMI and 8 speed auto.  Anyone have experience with these trucks? Anything I should know?

Current truck has a limited slip rear, one I'm looking at has an antispin rear.  Is that the same thing?

Edit:
I should probably list what my uses are.  I don't tow anything, but I do use the truck bed a lot for trips to Lowe's and Home Depot.  Mainly lumber, dirt, mulch, stones, and stuff like that.  Also use it for taking stuff to and from the range.  This will be my daily driver as well.  Drive to work 6 miles each way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
My father has a 2020 diesel Ram. He likes it. I haven't ridden in it, but I've been told it's quite luxurious.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got what you are looking for, but the 2020 version.

Bighorn, 4x4, 5.7, e-torque, anti-spin.

Best riding truck I've owned (had a '18 sierra 1500 4x4 prior to this), tows well, has nice creature comforts.

Mainly used as a DD and hauling kids to and from practices. During baseball season it serves nice to have kids be comfortable in the cab and still haul all the tents, generator, fans, etc that we use for a day long tournament.

Overall I am well pleased with it. No issues to date but only 7k miles so far.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you said 2021, but had to pass this info on.

I have a 2019 New ram 1500 crew cab, Big horn 4x4, Hemi, e-torque with 3.92 gears.
And it is the big horn with LED light package  and tow package.

I purchased it with 21 miles on the odometer 14 months ago.
This is my DD, as of today getting home from work it NOW has 33,743 miles on it. I will be purchasing the extended warranty next week, just for my piece of mind.

Had 1 issue with the e-torque unit, was not for some reason generating the correct voltage. Still under bumper to bumper, in and out in a few hours.

My best mpg has been 19.3 according to the trucks computer, This was driving at about 73mph.

The ergonomics of the cab are dead on to me. Ride is very comfortable and plenty of shit n git....
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#4]
We had quite a few ‘20’s and ‘19’s in out fleet, hardly any problems with them. I rented a few to tow trailers with that had the trailer package, and really liked the set up with the back up camera. You don’t need the biggest radio, but don’t get the bare bones work truck radio.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like some pretty good feedback, thanks!

The truck I'm looking at had the Sirius radio, so probably not the base model work truck unit.

Current truck doesn't have a working radio, so any radio is better than that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like some pretty good feedback, thanks!

The truck I'm looking at had the Sirius radio, so probably not the base model work truck unit.

Current truck doesn't have a working radio, so any radio is better than that.
View Quote

My 2016 Tradesman had SiriusXM...so yeah, it's available on the base models.  Ram (Dodge) has really come a long way since the 2nd Gens...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a '21 Rebel with the 5.7. I have about 800 miles on it and so far it's great for all but the gas which I am getting 13.5-14mpg. I do a fair amount of around town driving though and the Rebel comes with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs which don't help. The large screen is great it actually doesn't interfere with my driving or anything at all. I'm pleased with the comfort in the truck though, interior build quality is very good in mine.  

There are a few videos on youtube showing the gen 5 Ram assembly process.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't have one but when I was truck shopping last year if I had gone with a new truck it definitely would have been a RAM.

Ended up getting a good deal on a 2500 GMC but cross shopped the 2500 Rams as well.  The features I wanted were only available in newer ones and my budget didn't allow for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top