Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lol thanks for the introduction to that guy.

Who knew that the Parrot from Aladdin was voiced by a jacked bodybuilder?
View Quote

He's a hoot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Down 9lbs since 1/15.  Down to 314 lbs.  48 years old next month.  Gotta get back to 260 and stay there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23396/05D588B4-CAF9-457A-9D67-81B1A01868C2_jpe-1814801.JPG
View Quote

Keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I wouldn't stop at 185 because anything less than that sounds low and you think you'll look thin. Just get there and then pinch around and see how much fat you have at that point. Visible abs really aren't a great indicator of sub 15% body fat like a lot think. Different people have different distributions of body fat and definition to their abs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Any recommendations for working out obliques? I find myself struggling to work that section out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any recommendations for working out obliques? I find myself struggling to work that section out.
View Quote

Anything that involves twisting the torso or pivoting at the hip. At home vs in the gym would be the question.

I fear injuring my back so I don't do anything that involves spinal flexion. Exercises like push ups, rows, squats, etc. do plenty for abs IMO. The only thing I'm doing right now that could be considered abs are leg raises. I can do dragon flags and I don't think a human flag would be too far out of reach despite not doing isolation FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Anything that involves twisting the torso or pivoting at the hip. At home vs in the gym would be the question.

I fear injuring my back so I don't do anything that involves spinal flexion. Exercises like push ups, rows, squats, etc. do plenty for abs IMO. The only thing I'm doing right now that could be considered abs are leg raises. I can do dragon flags and I don't think a human flag would be too far out of reach despite not doing isolation FWIW.
View Quote

At home for now, gym may be coming in the near future though, I've never even heard of dragon flags/human flags until now lol.

I'll be checking it out, abs/pecs are a main area of focus, I've got the arms/legs workouts figured out for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

At home for now, gym may be coming in the near future though, I've never even heard of dragon flags/human flags until now lol.

I'll be checking it out, abs/pecs are a main area of focus, I've got the arms/legs workouts figured out for the most part.
View Quote

That definitely limits what you can do. Side planks are good. Ab rollouts are good for abs, shoulders, lats and pecs. The stay in the sit up position, touch the floor on each side would work obliques a lot. Keep your torso in line with your upper legs while doing them. Pecs are difficult from home too. Dips (I prefer straight bar dips), push ups, bench press or dumbbell press at different angles. I wouldn't recommend dumbbell flys.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Bit late to the thread this year. But I feel like I am finally making progress. Timeline as follows:

Sept-Oct 2018: Realized that I was fast becoming a fat ass. Roughly 250#, out of breath going up a single flight of stairs. Started to cut out crap foods (Soda, candy, booze, fast food, etc.) Started to do body weight workouts and walk more.  Lots of ups and downs. Generally cut for 20# at a time (good idea), followed up with bulking about 10# after (bad idea at the time).

August 2020: Diet and exercise had gotten me down to my leanest (at that point), 189# at the lowest. Got on TRT, and did a several month bulk until December (19# gain).

Mid December 2020: Have finally been gaining some strength, but after gaining 19# to 208#, time to start a cut.  Got a Disney vacation planned in March, so wanted to be a bit leaner for the pool. Also started doing a couch to 5k program.

Mid February 2021: Down to 193# so far on the cut since mid December.  Had hoped to have reached my 6-pack by now, but I still have a ways to go. I've got 3-weeks left until my vacation, so I can get down another 3-5#. Either way, still leaner than I was in August, even though I am heavier.  I figure I will cut until the vacation, then do maintenance for 1-2 weeks before I start a slow bulk (.5#/week planned) for the next 4-6 months. Also have managed to make it to running 5k by week 8 of the program. Currently averaging 8:30/mile for the 3-miles.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Heck of a transformation.  Good job.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bit late to the thread this year. But I feel like I am finally making progress. Timeline as follows:

Sept-Oct 2018: Realized that I was fast becoming a fat ass. Roughly 250#, out of breath going up a single flight of stairs. Started to cut out crap foods (Soda, candy, booze, fast food, etc.) Started to do body weight workouts and walk more.  Lots of ups and downs. Generally cut for 20# at a time (good idea), followed up with bulking about 10# after (bad idea at the time).
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50943502143_1e296a86ff.jpg

August 2020: Diet and exercise had gotten me down to my leanest (at that point), 189# at the lowest. Got on TRT, and did a several month bulk until December (19# gain).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50944300602_75952144d8.jpg

Mid December 2020: Have finally been gaining some strength, but after gaining 19# to 208#, time to start a cut.  Got a Disney vacation planned in March, so wanted to be a bit leaner for the pool. Also started doing a couch to 5k program.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50944304172_82c6111ce4.jpg

Mid February 2021: Down to 193# so far on the cut since mid December.  Had hoped to have reached my 6-pack by now, but I still have a ways to go. I've got 3-weeks left until my vacation, so I can get down another 3-5#. Either way, still leaner than I was in August, even though I am heavier.  I figure I will cut until the vacation, then do maintenance for 1-2 weeks before I start a slow bulk (.5#/week planned) for the next 4-6 months. Also have managed to make it to running 5k by week 8 of the program. Currently averaging 8:30/mile for the 3-miles.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50944199546_bc2b46e0a8.jpg
View Quote

Nice dude, that's a huge difference over 5-6 months.

What were your T levels before you started TRT?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks. Levels were 150-175ng/dl. So really low. On 150mg/week my trough is only around 500, so not exactly high.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50943502143_1e296a86ff.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50944300602_75952144d8.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50944304172_82c6111ce4.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50944199546_bc2b46e0a8.jpg
View Quote

Good job so far, welcome. Be careful with too aggressive "bulking".

Looks like your abs and fat distribution genetics are limiting you there. You may have to get a lot leaner to see them and maybe there isn't much even when you are that lean. Arnold Schwarzenegger only had a two pack when he got lean but Eddie Hall has a six pack at a pretty high body fat percentage. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#13]
REAL WORLD BODY Transformations || Coach Greg's Laser Eye Bodyfat Analysis
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks. Levels were 150-175ng/dl. So really low. On 150mg/week my trough is only around 500, so not exactly high.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I seem to float between 400-500. I told my primary if it starts to tank fast I want on TRT.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looks like your abs and fat distribution genetics are limiting you there. You may have to get a lot leaner to see them and maybe there isn't much even when you are that lean. Arnold Schwarzenegger only had a two pack when he got lean but Eddie Hall has a six pack at a pretty high body fat percentage. It is what it is.
View Quote

Thanks. I've made the mistake of too much the last time I tried to mass. I did about 1#/week.  I'm going to go half that rate, maybe a bit slower.

I'm not to concerned between 4/6/8 pack, I just want to get a bit leaner to see what I have. I don't think that I will manage to hit my goal in the next 3 weeks unfortunately. The more I think about it, I think after I do a couple weeks of maintenance during my vacation, I might just do another 4 or so weeks of a cut to see if that gets me closer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#16]
WEIGHT LOSS GUARANTEED - The CIRCLE Diet || Follow My Simple Formula
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Really looking forward to following through this year on workouts, I've been off and on for so long that I feel I've really done my body a disservice.

Having this thread is really going to help, thank you good sir for starting it! This is going to be the way I hold myself accountable to make this happen.

Here's where I'm at right now...

162.5lbs and I'm guessing mid to upper 20s on body fat but probably more.

Mostly failed to focus on core workouts which is why I asked about it earlier but currently doing a body weight routine with a few dumb bell workouts added in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Really looking forward to following through this year on workouts, I've been off and on for so long that I feel I've really done my body a disservice.

Having this thread is really going to help, thank you good sir for starting it! This is going to be the way I hold myself accountable to make this happen.

Here's where I'm at right now...

162.5lbs and I'm guessing mid to upper 20s on body fat but probably more.

Mostly failed to focus on core workouts which is why I asked about it earlier but currently doing a body weight routine with a few dumb bell workouts added in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/519569/IMG_20210217_205827_jpg-1830000.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, can't be taking a lot of time off. Consistency over the long term is going to give you results.

You might be low 20s BF. Not too bad but if you are wanting to do a massing phase it's better to start between 10 and 15%.

Follow Calisthenicmovement and FitnessFAQs on YouTube for bodyweight and general fitness tips.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:37:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Now, THAT'S a transformation!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:58:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’ve got some career aspirations that require a little “Body Transformation “.

Currently:
Weight of 205 lbs.
Pull-up Max of 15
Crunches max of 75
3 mile run of 22:00

Goal:
Max weight of 191 lbs.
Minimum pullups 23
Minimum crunches 110
3 miles in 19:59 or faster

Just dropping dessert and stuff like muffins for breakfast  has made a difference in the past couple weeks.
View Quote

Started swimming in addition to everything else (half an hour at a time, once to twice a week).

New numbers:
Weight:194.8
Pullups:23 (barely)
Crunches:110
3 mile:20:59

Weight and cardio to crush yet.  The first 10 pounds came off easy enough, that I think I’ll go for 181 instead.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it's time for me to ask some advice.

Now down to 191#, so a couple pounds down from the photo above. Leanest I've been this far, but not quite to a 6-pack.  

I've been planning a deload/maintenance phase for a couple of weeks during family vacation, which has just started.

It's the next step that I'm undecided on. I figure I have 2 options.

A. "Lean bulk" for the next 4-6 months (approx .5/week) while continuing with 531 BBB. After the 4-6 months, I would then do a cut.

or
B. Continue the cut for another 4-6 weeks which should get me to 182-185# and decent odds of getting visible abs. After the 4-6 weeks of cutting, I would do a lean bulk as above.

Based on the photos above, what do y'all think?

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Now down to 191#, so a couple pounds down from the photo above. Leanest I've been this far, but not quite to a 6-pack.  

I've been planning a deload/maintenance phase for a couple of weeks during family vacation, which has just started.

A. "Lean bulk" for the next 4-6 months (approx .5/week) while continuing with 531 BBB. After the 4-6 months, I would then do a cut.

or
B. Continue the cut for another 4-6 weeks which should get me to 182-185# and decent odds of getting visible abs. After the 4-6 weeks of cutting, I would do a lean bulk as above.

View Quote

Usually the lower you start a gaining phase, the better. So, going from 10% to 15% would be more ideal vs. 15% to 20% or even worse.

I would think that you would preferably want to stay in a weight range you are comfortable with. So, not just hit a point where you are happy and then go back to a point you don't like being at. Maybe your average weight being ideal, your cut being slightly less, and your bulk being slightly more. Probably easier said than done though.

Scheduling around seasons, holidays, and vacation is important too. It's never a good idea to cut from Thanksgiving to New Year's or while on vacation.

I would probably do option b.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#26]
9 Things NO ONE TELLS YOU About Weight Loss
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

or

View Quote

Clean bulk for sure.

You've done an excellent job of losing fat, however honestly, you have very little muscle mass.
Continuing to cut will likely not give you the look you are after unless you are simply striving for a lean, slim, physique.

Also, opinions will differ, but I'd suggest cutting back on cardio and concentrate on lifting progressively heavier or more reps per session.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Good job making changes. Eat less if you aren't losing is the general goal but as you found out with nuts, not all foods are the same. Nuts are super healthy but they are very calorically dense. A handful of nuts is easily more calories than a soda.

Look for foods that have low calories per gram or high volume that you like. They usually have a lot of water and/or fiber and will fill you up faster. Fresh or frozen fruits (except avocado), vegetables without added oil or dressing, potatoes without butter, popcorn, lean meat, whole grains, fat free dairy. Also, consider using artificial sweeteners instead of quitting sugar cold turkey if you have a sweet tooth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Started the new year at 196.6.  Had been drinking 8 to 12 sugar sodas each week.  Picked up a candy bar everytime I drove past a gas station. I work from home so that would be 2 or 3 times a week.

I completely cut out the candy bars and only had 4 sugar sodas in January.  Dropped 2 pounds the first week in January.  The rest of the month was up and down ending at 193.6.

1st week in Feb had a low point at 191.8 and a high of 194.

I have learned that snacking on nuts to get you thru the day will not work.  They might as well be candy.  Raw veggies will have to due.

Cutting portion sizes at meal time is the next for continued loss.

Good job making changes. Eat less if you aren't losing is the general goal but as you found out with nuts, not all foods are the same. Nuts are super healthy but they are very calorically dense. A handful of nuts is easily more calories than a soda.

Look for foods that have low calories per gram or high volume that you like. They usually have a lot of water and/or fiber and will fill you up faster. Fresh or frozen fruits (except avocado), vegetables without added oil or dressing, potatoes without butter, popcorn, lean meat, whole grains, fat free dairy. Also, consider using artificial sweeteners instead of quitting sugar cold turkey if you have a sweet tooth.

Weight is still going down. Below 190 every day sometimes below 188.  Not as fast as expected but still progress.  Even with good clean food, heaping plate fulls or going back for seconds just cannot be done without stalling the weight loss.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#29]
30, 6’, and a disgusting 260 lbs.

Depression and anxiety have been through the roof and I decided working out and eating decent couldn’t hurt so what the hell.

Started taking some anxiety meds as well which have helped with motivation and energy.

I’m not doing any specific diet but cut out processed food and only drink water/almond milk with protein powder. I have cut my portions in probably half and honestly don’t feel like I’m starving. I started doing some basic workouts in my garage and I’m sore as hell but it feels good at the same time.

My goal is to lose 40 lbs by the end of the year and increase my strength and cardio

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Finally decided to finish my cut this week. 23# down since mid-december, didn't quite reach my 6-pack goal, but did manage to get down leaner than I have ever been. Now down to 185#. I had actually decided to go to maintenance the last week or so, but I seem to have failed. I've lost 5# the last 2 1/2 weeks, despite trying to increase my calories.

I've been doing 531 "boring but big", I know Wendler says not to do it on a cut. But I was still making decent progress for my first two cycles.  The third cycle, after a deload, well, performance started to drop, especially in the bench press. Fatigue really started to kick my butt.  I originally had planned to run the 531BBB for a few more months and then switching to Renaissance Periodization's programming, but after reading Wendler's book, I saw that he doesn't recommend doing BBB more than a few cycles in a row.  I've also got a switch in work schedule coming up, as well as a few weeks vacation time planned, so I'm going to be able to spend more time in the gym over the next few months than I could the last few months. So I acquired the RP MPT, and am going to start running their 5-day programming.  

Plan is to spend the next several months in a relatively lean bulk.  At 2,200-2,400 calories, I was losing 2#/week, so I need to increase my calories about 1,000/day just to get back to maintenance, and then I am going to add in an extra 300 or so. Wife and kids were surprised to see me chow down on a Red Robin burger and a shake yesterday.  Looking forward to seeing the next 4-6 months worth of progress.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Started my transformation in earnest 3 weeks ago. Im 5'7" and was 301 pounds, according to dexa scan I am 137 pounds of lean mass and the rest is fat.
Eating 1400 calories a day, chicken steak and veggies and lifting 6 days a week. I am tired and hungry but I lost 19 pounds already.
Being 5'7" and morbidly obese is not a good look. I used to be 180 pounds with 10%bodyfat and wasnt ashamed to look in the mirror, time to get back to that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
30, 6’, and a disgusting 260 lbs.

Depression and anxiety have been through the roof and I decided working out and eating decent couldn’t hurt so what the hell.

Started taking some anxiety meds as well which have helped with motivation and energy.

I’m not doing any specific diet but cut out processed food and only drink water/almond milk with protein powder. I have cut my portions in probably half and honestly don’t feel like I’m starving. I started doing some basic workouts in my garage and I’m sore as hell but it feels good at the same time.

My goal is to lose 40 lbs by the end of the year and increase my strength and cardio

View Quote

Good job, keep it up.

Quoted:
Finally decided to finish my cut this week. 23# down since mid-december, didn't quite reach my 6-pack goal, but did manage to get down leaner than I have ever been. Now down to 185#. I had actually decided to go to maintenance the last week or so, but I seem to have failed. I've lost 5# the last 2 1/2 weeks, despite trying to increase my calories.

I've been doing 531 "boring but big", I know Wendler says not to do it on a cut. But I was still making decent progress for my first two cycles.  The third cycle, after a deload, well, performance started to drop, especially in the bench press. Fatigue really started to kick my butt.  I originally had planned to run the 531BBB for a few more months and then switching to Renaissance Periodization's programming, but after reading Wendler's book, I saw that he doesn't recommend doing BBB more than a few cycles in a row.  I've also got a switch in work schedule coming up, as well as a few weeks vacation time planned, so I'm going to be able to spend more time in the gym over the next few months than I could the last few months. So I acquired the RP MPT, and am going to start running their 5-day programming.  

Plan is to spend the next several months in a relatively lean bulk.  At 2,200-2,400 calories, I was losing 2#/week, so I need to increase my calories about 1,000/day just to get back to maintenance, and then I am going to add in an extra 300 or so. Wife and kids were surprised to see me chow down on a Red Robin burger and a shake yesterday.  Looking forward to seeing the next 4-6 months worth of progress.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51099536475_861528cb33.jpg
View Quote

You'll be GTG with RP. Mike Israetel knows his stuff.

Quoted:
Started my transformation in earnest 3 weeks ago. Im 5'7" and was 301 pounds, according to dexa scan I am 137 pounds of lean mass and the rest is fat.
Eating 1400 calories a day, chicken steak and veggies and lifting 6 days a week. I am tired and hungry but I lost 19 pounds already.
Being 5'7" and morbidly obese is not a good look. I used to be 180 pounds with 10%bodyfat and wasnt ashamed to look in the mirror, time to get back to that.
View Quote

Good to see you in here. If you are losing a lot each week, you might as well slow it down by upping the calories a little. No need to lose more than 1% per week. I know it would be nice to lose it all super quick but I don't want anybody to yoyo.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Not going well for me. I got a bad shoulder injury around Christmas and New Year's and it's still bugging me. It's really both shoulders but the right is a lot worse. I've basically been doing rehab type stuff only for upper body. Kind of depressing to not be able to work out upper body after two years of barely missing a workout. Even when my wrists were really bad, I was able to do at least something.

Also hit with really bad tension headaches recently that make me want to binge sugar, drink caffeine, take pain killers, not workout, etc. looking for a way to ease the pain. I've had a few better days recently so hopefully that is passing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good job, keep it up.

You'll be GTG with RP. Mike Israetel knows his stuff.

Good to see you in here. If you are losing a lot each week, you might as well slow it down by upping the calories a little. No need to lose more than 1% per week. I know it would be nice to lose it all super quick but I don't want anybody to yoyo.
View Quote

I will slow down and up my calories once I get down to around 220-230. Right now I am so f-ing fat that I am in no danger of losing muscles or going into starvation mode.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not going well for me. I got a bad shoulder injury around Christmas and New Year's and it's still bugging me. It's really both shoulders but the right is a lot worse. I've basically been doing rehab type stuff only for upper body. Kind of depressing to not be able to work out upper body after two years of barely missing a workout. Even when my wrists were really bad, I was able to do at least something.

Also hit with really bad tension headaches recently that make me want to binge sugar, drink caffeine, take pain killers, not workout, etc. looking for a way to ease the pain. I've had a few better days recently so hopefully that is passing.
View Quote

It's hard to get a good work out when you are fighting an injury or other health problems. Lets hope you get to feeling better so you can get back into the swing of things.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#36]
It's been a little while since last posting here but did want to throw out an update.

Had two injuries earlier this year that sort of threw me off for a while but have recovered since then and am back on track for the most part.

However, I'm in the middle of a home sale and most of my equipment is in storage but I've still got the pullup bar and jump rope so I'm good for a while till I move into my sisters place for a while.

FitnessFAQs has been a great resource and will continue following his recommendations.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's been a little while since last posting here but did want to throw out an update.

Had two injuries earlier this year that sort of threw me off for a while but have recovered since then and am back on track for the most part.

However, I'm in the middle of a home sale and most of my equipment is in storage but I've still got the pullup bar and jump rope so I'm good for a while till I move into my sisters place for a while.

FitnessFAQs has been a great resource and will continue following his recommendations.
View Quote

Do what you can with what you have. He's a great resource.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Just found this thread. I started taking my diet seriously on April 5. I'm 32, 6'1" and was 208# when I started. My dad, brother and I agreed to get healthier together. So far, I'm the only one who's actually been disciplined. Oh well...it motivates me to do that much better so that it hopefully motivates them.

As of today I'm 191#. I've cut out carbs and sugar, eat once or twice a day (always dinner, sometimes lunch) and the last few weeks have added in running/walking and body weights/dumbbells at home. Also trying to cut way back on alcohol. I don't have a problem with it but if I have a couple bourbons I get hungry and eat junk.

I'm feeling really good. I sleep better...I go to bed around 2200 and typically wake up around 0600 without an alarm feeling refreshed. I'm starting to look better and feel more confident. I want to look good for my wife and set and example for my 2 year old son to follow and look up to as he gets older.

I'm going camping on the river the weekend after the 4th of July with some family and friends. My dad and brother will be there. My goal is to look and feel as good as I can by then. I'm tired of being ashamed to take off my shirt in front of people. I'm not aiming for 10% body fat with an 8 pack...I'm just aiming for confidence and overall health.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just found this thread. I started taking my diet seriously on April 5. I'm 32, 6'1" and was 208# when I started. My dad, brother and I agreed to get healthier together. So far, I'm the only one who's actually been disciplined. Oh well...it motivates me to do that much better so that it hopefully motivates them.

As of today I'm 191#. I've cut out carbs and sugar, eat once or twice a day (always dinner, sometimes lunch) and the last few weeks have added in running/walking and body weights/dumbbells at home. Also trying to cut way back on alcohol. I don't have a problem with it but if I have a couple bourbons I get hungry and eat junk.

I'm feeling really good. I sleep better...I go to bed around 2200 and typically wake up around 0600 without an alarm feeling refreshed. I'm starting to look better and feel more confident. I want to look good for my wife and set and example for my 2 year old son to follow and look up to as he gets older.

I'm going camping on the river the weekend after the 4th of July with some family and friends. My dad and brother will be there. My goal is to look and feel as good as I can by then. I'm tired of being ashamed to take off my shirt in front of people. I'm not aiming for 10% body fat with an 8 pack...I'm just aiming for confidence and overall health.
View Quote

Sounds good man. Congrats on getting started and your progress so far.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Time to throw myself into the ring.

Being 6'5", I have always struggled with weight gaining since my teens. I was literally a toothpick at 150 ish pounds at that height.

Throughout all my 20s, all I heard was "Just wait till you're in your 30s, your weight will pack on quick!"

Well, 30s hit and... nothing.  I was still 190 to 200 by the time I was 30ish, and even in my mid 30s I was that weight. Obviously my metabolism slowed down a tad, but my exercise routine went from mainly cardio to a mix of cardio and weights.

Which leaves me to current times. After being inspired by a Hollywood actor who was a bit shorter than I, but was also a bean pole in his 20s, I became interested in how he was able to accomplish such a feat of gaining muscle and weight over the years.

I was working out, hitting the weights but other than being strong.. I had nothing to show for it. Then I was told "I wasn't eating enough"

"How so? I eat all the time"

"No.. you're not eating enough to gain weight. You're just maintaining"

Fast forward about 2 months in. I went from about 195 to 200 to just around 215. My eating habits is like a part time job, and I track it through MyFitnessApp. Between the measuring scale, a measuring cup package, I have a bag I bring to work all the time of just measuring items.

My workout currently is the 4-4-8 program by Ivysaur for 12 weeks. I am debating on continuing the program, or switching to another that I found... but that is a topic for closer to the switch time.

My goal is to hit 225 to 230 and cut back down to 200 to 210, and then reevaluate.

I am looking forward to cutting at this point... this eating all the time is a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 1:42:07 AM EDT
[#41]
This was me in November 2020.   6'6" at 270 lbs.  I started keto on Jan 2nd.   Ran it until March. Cut down to 240.    I started lifting in February.    

This is me this evening.   Still 6'6" at 270.   Although I am probably holding 10 lbs of water weight as I am cycling creatine.     Current diet is 220 or more grams of protein a day.   I eat carbs pre and post workout.   Or if I'm still hungry after I've hit my protein goal for the day.

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Time to throw myself into the ring.

Being 6'5", I have always struggled with weight gaining since my teens. I was literally a toothpick at 150 ish pounds at that height.

Throughout all my 20s, all I heard was "Just wait till you're in your 30s, your weight will pack on quick!"

Well, 30s hit and... nothing.  I was still 190 to 200 by the time I was 30ish, and even in my mid 30s I was that weight. Obviously my metabolism slowed down a tad, but my exercise routine went from mainly cardio to a mix of cardio and weights.

Which leaves me to current times. After being inspired by a Hollywood actor who was a bit shorter than I, but was also a bean pole in his 20s, I became interested in how he was able to accomplish such a feat of gaining muscle and weight over the years.

I was working out, hitting the weights but other than being strong.. I had nothing to show for it. Then I was told "I wasn't eating enough"

"How so? I eat all the time"

"No.. you're not eating enough to gain weight. You're just maintaining"

Fast forward about 2 months in. I went from about 195 to 200 to just around 215. My eating habits is like a part time job, and I track it through MyFitnessApp. Between the measuring scale, a measuring cup package, I have a bag I bring to work all the time of just measuring items.

My workout currently is the 4-4-8 program by Ivysaur for 12 weeks. I am debating on continuing the program, or switching to another that I found... but that is a topic for closer to the switch time.

My goal is to hit 225 to 230 and cut back down to 200 to 210, and then reevaluate.

I am looking forward to cutting at this point... this eating all the time is a pain in the ass.
View Quote

Get at it!
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This was me in November 2020.   6'6" at 270 lbs.  I started keto on Jan 2nd.   Ran it until March. Cut down to 240.    I started lifting in February.    

https://i.imgur.com/y7ZKrDq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6jPPDy1.jpg

This is me this evening.   Still 6'6" at 270.   Although I am probably holding 10 lbs of water weight as I am cycling creatine.     Current diet is 220 or more grams of protein a day.   I eat carbs pre and post workout.   Or if I'm still hungry after I've hit my protein goal for the day.

https://i.imgur.com/lpg2R5A.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PITRbDZ.jpg
View Quote

Quite the recomp. Good job! At some point you probably do need to go down in weight. Even at 6'6", that's a lot to carry around.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/y7ZKrDq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6jPPDy1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lpg2R5A.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PITRbDZ.jpg
View Quote

Quite the recomp. Good job! At some point you probably do need to go down in weight. Even at 6'6", that's a lot to carry around.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm kind of torn at the moment between continuing a bulk for more lean mass, or cutting and seeing what's under the fluff.

I'm guessing I'm at lower 20% body fat.   So I should be fairly cut at sub 240.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Decided to start going to the gym, was pretty steady at the house but needed more stuff to workout with.

Hope to see results by the end of the year to post before/after photos!
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Decided to start going to the gym, was pretty steady at the house but needed more stuff to workout with.

Hope to see results by the end of the year to post before/after photos!
View Quote

Legs are especially hard to do at home. As long as you are working out it's good though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#48]
So far so good still when it comes to going to the gym, I'm surprised at how much more effective it's been rather than working out at the house. By far seeing the highest level of improvement to date.

Also finally getting down the one legged pistol squats, previously could only do them with assistance but now completing them without. Granted, they're a bit wobbly so there's still much improvement needed.

One thing I'm not sure about as to whether it's really even useful is one arm bent over rows, I feel little to no resistance when performing these. Should I go up in weight or is it possible my form is incorrect?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#49]
New to the thread,  but made changes in January of this year.

Starting Weight: 225
Starting Pant Size: 36+
Starting Bodyfat: 17%+

Current Weight: 186
Current Pant Size: 32
Current Bodyfat: 12%

Program:
Diet: Modified Keto (high protein)
Supplements: Protein, BCAA, L-Glutamine, Multivitamin, pre workout

Training:
Weights 3 x wk
Calisthenics (bands, dips, pullups) 2 x wk
Jiu Jitsu 3+ x Wk

I get my cardio from jiu jitsu, but also do the incline treadmill farmers carry twice a week. I've found that this machine best simulates the cardio conditions faced in jiu jitsu training and competition.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So far so good still when it comes to going to the gym, I'm surprised at how much more effective it's been rather than working out at the house. By far seeing the highest level of improvement to date.

Also finally getting down the one legged pistol squats, previously could only do them with assistance but now completing them without. Granted, they're a bit wobbly so there's still much improvement needed.

One thing I'm not sure about as to whether it's really even useful is one arm bent over rows, I feel little to no resistance when performing these. Should I go up in weight or is it possible my form is incorrect?
View Quote

Try both arms at the same time, bodyweight rows, or a machine maybe.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top