Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2023 11:15:24 AM EDT
How the hell does one bleed brakes on a 2020 Escape?

I believe the electronic parking brake is somehow preventing me from bleeding a rear brake. Conventional bleeding (pump pedal, open bleeder) does nothing. I opened the brake line at the rubber hose and was able to gravity bleed the caliper with a syringe. Reinstall... and nothing.

Attempting to bleed the steel line also resulted in nothing. All of this with the car off, then on, parking brake on and off, etc.

Using a vacuum bleeder I was able to remove a few ounces of fluid then it stopped. I wonder if I simply evacuated the caliper of fluid.

Tonight I'm going to try the vacuum bleeder on the steel line, as well as unplugging the (caliper mounted) electronic parking brake actuator in hopes of somehow fixing this.

The car will also not go into parking brake service mode with the key/accelerator combonation. I got involved in the project too late.

ETA: first person accidentally hit the brake pedal with the caliper removed and blew the piston out. The piston was reassembled before I got to it and it appears to not be leaking. I'm unsure of the caliper and/or actuator is busted.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The parking brake actuator shouldn’t have anything to do with the hydraulic circuit. You can take ours off with 3 torx screws.

AllData says brake service mode is required to deactivate the booster and perform bleeding.

Good luck.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The parking brake actuator shouldn’t have anything to do with the hydraulic circuit. You can take ours off with 3 torx screws.

AllData says brake service mode is required to deactivate the booster and perform bleeding.

Good luck.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/512313/23E0499F-6406-4811-83A4-806A6DED9E8A_jpe-2756214.JPG
View Quote

Thank you!

I'll renew my Forscan license tonight and see if I can activate it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
In case anyone was wondering, @maslin02 is the man.

The brakes bled properly. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In case anyone was wondering, @maslin02 is the man.

The brakes bled properly. Thank you!
View Quote

No problem!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top