Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2017 5:25:37 PM EDT
We had a thread for this about this time last year, I'm doing the challenge again this year starting today.

HERE is a link describing the challenge with a slightly different rep scheme than I used last year.  This was a great way to get a little stronger, get a LOT more fit overall and work like a mad-man for a few weeks.  I was pretty surprised last year how fast I got better at the sets and how much my conditioning improved without having to do any stupid crap like running

I like to mix it up with other lifting in this pattern, but if you're newer to lifting or don't have the desire to add in the lifting, just the swings will be a great workout and you'll really notice the results.

10 Swings (Russian style)
5 lifts
20 Swings
5 lifts

This gives you 250 swings and 45 lifts, unless you also start with a set of your lifts to keep things even.  

If you do a short rest followed by another set you'll get 500 swings a day, 4 days a week will get you the 10,000 swings in 5 weeks, 5 days a week will get you done in 4 weeks.
Last year I managed to finish a set in under 30 minutes right at the end of the challenge, where it took me over a week of getting 'warmed up' before I could actually complete the sets required in a day.  Hand strength was my limiting factor last year to a large degree, but it's a pretty good overall workout too.  

I got started today using the 55lb kb and breaking it up with 225lb deadlifts (with straps to save the hand strength).  I only did a single set (250 swings and 45 deads) today and will do that amount for the rest of this week, then really get after it in probably 3 weeks as I have to go out of town next week.  

My first day back at it I got a half- days work in 21:52.  Terrible time, but my poor conditioning is why I'm here.

My plan moving forward is to break the swings up with the basic barbell compound lifts, squat, bench, overhead press and deadlifts, as well as Turkish get-ups, box jumps, pull ups and if I can get my wrist put back together, olympic lifts (OL need a reduced quantity imo, I do sets of 2 instead of 5).
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag. I didn't last long last year because it got boring and I quit. I've been thinking about giving it another shot though, so I guess we'll see how that works out.
View Quote

Yep, after a couple of weeks it's mind numbing.  I kept pretty close records and kept trying to increase the weights on the lifts and still improve my time each week, that kept me 'in the game' a lot better.

I sure looked better when I was done though, trimmed up my belly and added to my shoulders, legs and butt.

Last year I started with the 53lb KB and had a lot of trouble holding onto it for an entire set of 500.  This year I will likely tinker with it for a while and when I really start I'm hoping to use a 70lb-er.  Might be hard to finish in 30 minutes, but should really be a great workout.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for later.  Maybe in.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've put this on my calendar for March.  I got through 14 workouts of it previously and got off track.  Will finish my current plan at the end of February and then start this up

Thanks for the challenge reminder
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm...could be amusing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I did another 250 swings with front squats at 135 yesterday.  Really light squats, in retrospect I should have at least added another plate.  Took me just a shade under 19 minutes.  I'm pretty confident that my cardio capacity will come back fast, I'm doing way better this year than I was at the beginning of the challenge last year.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't see this happing for me for a while just had rotator cuff surgery in Dec.  but I do agree swings are a great exercise
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
My kettlebell (50 lbs) arrived in the mail yesterday, so I figured I would try this out today.

One set (if you can call it that; my max reps was ~20 in a row) took about 33 minutes, most of which was me wheezing and chugging water. Limiting factor for # of swings in a row seems to be hand and arm strength, at least for the first half of the workout. Catching 50 lbs at the bottom of the swing with my arms is harder on me than anything to do with the legs. I don't know if it's a form issue, or that my arms aren't up to snuff.

I'm not bothering with another set today. Damn.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My kettlebell (50 lbs) arrived in the mail yesterday, so I figured I would try this out today.

One set (if you can call it that; my max reps was ~20 in a row) took about 33 minutes, most of which was me wheezing and chugging water. Limiting factor for # of swings in a row seems to be hand and arm strength, at least for the first half of the workout. Catching 50 lbs at the bottom of the swing with my arms is harder on me than anything to do with the legs. I don't know if it's a form issue, or that my arms aren't up to snuff.

View Quote

It's a good workout, you'll get strong and conditioned at the same time for sure.

A few hints-

Don't let the KB swing low, keep it up high just under the twig and berries at the bottom.  Only swing it to parallel, not the stupid crossfit crap where they go overhead.
Also, keep tension in your arms and across the back of your shoulders, it will hurt for the first few times but you don't want that swinging weight pulling on your sockets, let it pull on muscle.  Just set your shoulders a bit so the muscle is engaged, don't try to pinch the shoulder blades or anything.

Overall, the smaller you can keep those swings the easier it will be on the hands and forearms.  But yeah, you're going to get strong hands for sure.  That was the weakness for me the first time I did the challenge.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#10]
In! Going to suck combining this with my modified Sheiko advanced.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can do up to 30 at a time with a 45 lb KB, and I'm a 40 year old broad with arthritis and asthma.

keep at it, you can do it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Been crunched for time so at work I have been trying to work in 100 swings in a row every 2 hrs.  

Adding in the other lifts makes it much harder than just straight 100 swings
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I still can't seem to get to the gym regularly so my plan for 1,000 swings a week with the 70lb KB is not panning out yet, but I usually get half that and sometimes 750.  Getting better for sure, today I did my 5/10/5/20.... routine with 95lb strict presses and finished in 23 minutes.  Conditioning is improving really fast, just like it did the last time I did the 10,000 KB swing challenge.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#14]
This is topical, in case anyone is interested.  Greg Ellifritz is a beast, though.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/the-10000-kettlebell-swing-workout
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I just finished a 4wk cycle and am taking some rest days. During this time, I am researching what program/training to door the next 4 week cycle. For you guys doing the KB challenge, are you doing cardio as well, or does this woukout challenge get your heart rate up? I am training for obstacle course races starting in May.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just finished a 4wk cycle and am taking some rest days. During this time, I am researching what program/training to door the next 4 week cycle. For you guys doing the KB challenge, are you doing cardio as well, or does this woukout challenge get your heart rate up? I am training for obstacle course races starting in May.
View Quote
This can replace normal cardio. I think that it will beneficial to you in an obstacle race, from both a physical and mental aspect.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL.

Yeah, this should do the job.  I'm gasping and wheezing most of the way through it, drowning in sweat by the end.  You can easily adjust it for your goals too, I use a 70lb KB and take a little longer but still keep the heart rate high and move through it as fast as I can.  You can use a lighter weight and do more and/or get done sooner and unbroken.  It's really easy to tailor it to what you're after.

today I did the KB swings after my squats workout, and I did my 10,20,30... broken up with 5 of each leg of these (picture below) using (2) 20lb dumbbells.  Didn't time myself, but it was a long session.  Last week I did the swings with 50 OHP with 45lb dumbbells and finished in 18:42, which was really fast for me and exhausting.  I've also done it where I break it up with two heavy cleans per set, so just find what works and you can really push yourself hard with it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I think I am gonna start this next Monday and do the 4 week timing. Will figure out what to do in between sets later. My gym has a 54lb KB that I did some with today to make sure I had good form. I know it's 500 per day, but I know I can get it done.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#19]
This could be good for me (after my next race at the end of the month), but I need a bit of direction. My cardio is pretty well off the charts (see 1k miles thread) but I've never really done any strength work.

Any tips or pointers to just start out? How should I go about selecting a proper weight? Is there a particular place to best get descriptions on exactly how to properly do the exercises?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This could be good for me (after my next race at the end of the month), but I need a bit of direction. My cardio is pretty well off the charts (see 1k miles thread) but I've never really done any strength work.

Any tips or pointers to just start out? How should I go about selecting a proper weight? Is there a particular place to best get descriptions on exactly how to properly do the exercises?
View Quote
The recommend weight for men is around 55lb. Some people go lower, some go higher. Pay attention to your form. It's a hip movement, not a shoulder movement. There are plenty of Internet videos that show form. This routine is mind numbingly boring, but if you stick with it, you will likely see positive results.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Day 1. 500 swings. OHP reps with 135#. 28 mins.
Couldn't write in my log book for a while. Forearms are burning, hands feel worked. Lower back is a little sore. Upper back feels like a good workout.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Day 1. 500 swings. OHP reps with 135#. 28 mins.
Couldn't write in my log book for a while. Forearms are burning, hands feel worked. Lower back is a little sore. Upper back feels like a good workout.
View Quote
Niiiiice!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Day 2. 500 swings. 24kg kettlebell. Goblet Squats with 100# dumbbell. 30 mins.
Forearms and lower back still sore from yesterday. Was still able to plow through all the sets without breaking anything up. Dripping sweat again. Took a little longer, but I expect the time to go up from soreness and then go back down as my body adapts.

1000 swings so far.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Day 3. 500 swings. 24kg kettlebell. Swings only for the 5-day timing.
Lower back still sore from yesterday. Still able to get through the sets without breaking up, that last 50 set is a bear, though. Not as sweaty this time and my forearms were able to recover quicker, maybe because of the absence of the strength exercise. Hamstrings are tight and glutes feel like they are getting a good workout. 26 minutes today.

1500 swings so far.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Day 3. 500 swings. 24kg kettlebell. Swings only for the 5-day timing.
Lower back still sore from yesterday. Still able to get through the sets without breaking up, that last 50 set is a bear, though. Not as sweaty this time and my forearms were able to recover quicker, maybe because of the absence of the strength exercise. Hamstrings are tight and glutes feel like they are getting a good workout. 26 minutes today.

1500 swings so far.
View Quote
26 minutes is strong.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
This might be the wrong thread to ask, but what brand kettle bell is everyone using for their home gyms? I've seen Amazon cheapies with reviews saying that the bell snaps off the handle (scary?) And really expensive high end ones.

Is there anything in the middle ground that you guys like? Looking for a 35 and a 55

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't even know the brands that I have. One thing to be aware of while looking is the handle shape. I wish mine were wider.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
26 minutes is strong.
View Quote
I feel good at the beginning but at about halfway through the 3rd set, it really starts to kick in. I have been doing the first cluster in 3-4 minutes and it falls off a lot by the 4th.

My gym has Rogue KBs. The biggest one we have is the 24kg, but I am working the manager to get some heavier ones. I think I am one of only a handful that go that high, though.  I need ones with the wider handles as well. My pinkies are taking a beating.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I feel good at the beginning but at about halfway through the 3rd set, it really starts to kick in. I have been doing the first cluster in 3-4 minutes and it falls off a lot by the 4th.

My gym has Rogue KBs. The biggest one we have is the 24kg, but I am working the manager to get some heavier ones. I think I am one of only a handful that go that high, though.  I need ones with the wider handles as well. My pinkies are taking a beating.
View Quote
Yep, rogue are the only way to go.  The CAP cheap ones will tear you up, as do some of the expensive ones.  Get the widest handle you can find.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This might be the wrong thread to ask, but what brand kettle bell is everyone using for their home gyms? I've seen Amazon cheapies with reviews saying that the bell snaps off the handle (scary?) And really expensive high end ones.

Is there anything in the middle ground that you guys like? Looking for a 35 and a 55

Thanks!
View Quote
Look at Vulcan Absolute training kettle bells.  I have one of theirs and it has been awesome
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Day 4. 500 swings. 24kg bell. Pull ups on the 1-2-3 rotation. This was hard with the pull ups. By the 3rd cluster and the 3 pull ups, I really had to concentrate to pull myself up. Finished in 28mins.

I might have been able to finish quicker, but I admit to a lighter team training session at 0530 with my community team. I didn't go last week, so I wanted to see everyone and do some stuff with them. Had a lot of fatigue from this morning carry over from doing farmers carry and bear crawls. Leads me back to being underbelled, but a 24kg is all I have.

2000 total.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Day 5. 500 Swings. 24kg bell. Bodyweight dips 2-3-5 rep rotation. Lower back felt much better  when I woke up compared to earlier in the week. Hamstrings and glutes are still a little tight. Forearms burned a little more from gripping dip bars. 2 days rest over the weekend now.

27mins.

2500 total.

Talked the the gym manager again about getting some heavier bells. Looks like they will be in the works. Our heaviest is 24kg, so I asked for 28 and 32.

ETA: Looking back on the week, I feel like my appetite has shot through the roof. I have been eating everything in sight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Day 6. 500 swings. OHP 135#, 1-2-3 rep scheme. First cluster in about 3 mins. Had to chop some wood over the weekend and drove 8 hours on Sunday, so me forearms and back didn't get a full rest. Recovered really fast at the finish. 27 mins.

3000 total.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Day 7. 500 swings, 24kg. 100# goblet squats on 1-2-3 rep rotation. Back was sore this morning for the goblets. Forearms ok until third cluster set of 50. Still haven't broken up sets. 26 mins.

3500 total.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Day 8. 500 swings. No strength exercises due to 5-day timing. Lower back and shoulders were a little sore from practicing spear throw yesterday afternoon. My wife tells me I am getting an ass. I suffer from pre-geriatric old man ass syndrome. Its a horrible affliction where one has no ass. Be sensitive, someone you know may be afflicted. Anyway, good day at 23mins.

4000 total.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#36]
In!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Day 9. 500 swings. Pull-ups on 1-2-3 rep rotation. Pull-ups were marginally easier. Forearms started burning on the 3rd cluster 25 set. Back feels so much stronger waking up in the morning. At the latter half of the week, I expect to be a little more wore out and take a little longer, relatively. Still recovering faster after its done. Hamstrings and glutes aren't near as sore and tight. 27mins.

4500 Total.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Day 9. 500 swings. Pull-ups on 1-2-3 rep rotation. Pull-ups were marginally easier. Forearms started burning on the 3rd cluster 25 set. Back feels so much stronger waking up in the morning. At the latter half of the week, I expect to be a little more wore out and take a little longer, relatively. Still recovering faster after its done. Hamstrings and glutes aren't near as sore and tight. 27mins.

4500 Total.
View Quote
You've been cruising through these.  I agree, the back really does well from these swings.

Now's when the boredom really kicks in, good luck getting through the last half.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I've read that a lot of people experienced boredom between 50% and 75% done. That is next week. I am going to keep on trucking and see how it goes. I imagine after a certain point it becomes a "just plow though" and then "you're almost there, keep going".
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Day 10. 500 swings. Bodyweight dips 2-3-5. The weather here has been damp and rainy and my allergies have been acting up. Woke up with some mucus and felt slightly crappy. Got to the gym and worked it out. Forearms and back were really good until the 4th cluster, so I am getting better. Lower back didn't start to really get sore until the last cluster. Can write a lot better in my log book after each cluster. Muscles aren't as twitchy. 24mins.

5000 total. Halfway home. 4 weeks until the Spartan Sprint Ohio.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Day 11. 500 swings. 24kg bell. OHP 135#, 1-2-3 rep rotation. Really tried to power through the first cluster and got it in a shade over 3 minutes. Forearms took a beating, though. Lower back is feeling so much stronger after doing this workout. Wake up feeling better. Sinuses still crappy, though. My glutes are noticably growing. 23mins.

5500 total.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Day 12. 500 swings. Goblet squats 100# dumbbell 1-2-3 rep rotation. Sinuses are killing me still. Lower back didn't get really sore until the 4th cluster about halfway through, big improvement. Forearms still burning in the 3rd cluster, though. I feel like I am flexing my arms a little to try to take pressure off my hands/forearms and put it on my biceps. Not sure if it helps or if I am just getting stronger. A little slower today, which I expected. 25 mins.

6000 total.

ETA: I have been doing all this in a squat rack in front of a wall with a mirror. I know this might make me a dick, but I have two main reasons for this: 1. I don't want people to walk too close to me or in front of me while I am swinging. 2. If my forearms give, I want a backstop to catch the bell instead of someone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Day 13. 500 swings. No strength exercises due to 5 day timing. Definitely felt that wall this morning. Wasn't too bad, but it was noticable. First cluster done in a shade over 3 minutes again. Just can't seem to get that under 3. Lower back was really strong today. Still flexing the biceps a little. It might be because I have had some rubbing of the bell handle on my inner thigh and trying to get the handle to not rub. Forearms felt a little better through the third cluster. 21 mins.

6500 total.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Day 14. 500 Swings. 24kg Bell. Pull-Ups on 1-2-3 rep rotation. Really felt that mental wall this morning. Also felt like my body knew what was coming and was telling me I didn't eat enough. Of course, the continued sinus drainage might also be making me feel weaker. Still powered through it. Lower back and forearms didn't really start to feel it until the 4th cluster. 25 mins.

7000 total.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Day 15. 500 swings. 24kg bell. Bodyweight dips 2-3-5 rotation. Felt better today. Mental wall was still there, but only enough to be a slight annoyance. Powered right through it, no problem. Lower back and forearms started getting sore a little sooner today, but it is the end of the week. 24 mins.

7500 total. One week left.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Day 16. 500 swings. 24kg bell. OHP 1-2-3 rep rotation with 135# Got the first cluster under 3 mins. Pretty pumped about that. Felt it in the forearms and lower back, but recovered quickly. Deliberately picked up the pace for the first couple clusters to see how my body reacts. Was able to get water in between clusters and get back on it right away. Only had to run the forearms during the last cluster. 22mins. Dropped 6 mins from Day 1 with the overhead presses.

8000 total. 4 days left.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Day 17. 500 swings. 24kg bell. Goblet squats, 100#, 1-2-3 rotation. Really powered through it today. Had the feeling like I am getting close to the finish, so let's get this over with. My forearms, hands and back continue to recover quickly. That will pay dividends on the race courses. I wonder if the pro obstacle course racers use kettlebells? If not, they should. They could help bigly at the end of the race for a hanging obstacle. My wife says my glutes have grown and that certain "activities" had more power behind them. So, there's that. Today was 22 mins. Huge drop from day 2 at 30 mins.

8500 total.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#48]
22 minutes is smoking.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Day 18. 500 swings. 24kg bell. No strength exercises due to 5 day timing. After kicking it into high gear for the last two days, my back was a little sore going into today. First cluster under 3 minutes. First 2 clusters under 7 mins. Really tried to grit it out today. Hands are feeling it because I had to squeeze them into a Rogue KB handle for 4 weeks. Ring and pinky fingers have taken a beating. All fingers are noticeably stronger. Really grunted it out and did it in 19 mins. 7 minute drop from day 3.

9000 total.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Day 19. 500 swings. 24kg bell. Pull-ups on 1-2-3 rotation. Today was hard. The swings were harder, the pull-ups were hard. I have been doing 4-wk workout plans and resting/active rest for the 5th week and then starting again. I think I am hitting my 4 week fatigue level. I have one more day tomorrow and then a rest period to rebuild a little. Also, I found out my grandma is in the hospital and it's only a matter of time. Some mental fatigue as well. 23 mins. 5 minute drop from day 4.

9500 total. One more day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top