Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 8:25:06 PM EDT
I was checking out the rough country intake. It’s $150. Anyone have it installed? I’m not looking for more HP or boost. Be nice to have a filter i can clean frequently . And i think the stock set up on these trucks is restricting
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
K&N drop in is what you seek.  The open element filters, especially in AZ, get loaded with dirt, especially if you roll around in the desert.  Also, most of those open filter just become Hot-air intakes.

IMO of course.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
K&N drop in is what you seek.  The open element filters, especially in AZ, get loaded with dirt, especially if you roll around in the desert.  Also, most of those open filter just become Hot-air intakes.

IMO of course.
View Quote

This.
get a K&N filter for the stock airbox, then get a straight tube from the airbox to the throttle body to eliminate that stupid baffle in the intake stream.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#3]
DO NOT PUT A K&N AIR FILTER ON A GM TRUCK!!!!!!! Or any vehicle with a mass air flow sensor. The oil off the filter coats the MAF sensor changes what the ECM is seeing and causes all kinds of drive ability problems, especially transmission issues with shifting causing it to bang very hard when shifting. Once a sensor gets coated you can not clean it, you need to replace it.

Just use stock AC Delco filters they easily last 30,000 miles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DO NOT PUT A K&N AIR FILTER ON A GM TRUCK!!!!!!! Or any vehicle with a mass air flow sensor. The oil off the filter coats the MAF sensor changes what the ECM is seeing and causes all kinds of drive ability problems, especially transmission issues with shifting causing it to bang very hard when shifting. Once a sensor gets coated you can not clean it, you need to replace it.

View Quote

This only occurs when people over oil the filters......you're not supposed to soak them. jut a light coating
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This only occurs when people over oil the filters......you're not supposed to soak them. jut a light coating
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit, i have seen it too many times when I was the dealership. Only thing K&N's are worth a shit on is motorcycles and old air cooled VW's.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Op buy a non oiled filter of your choice and a MIT tube.  It’s just the pipe that goes from the stock air box to the throttle body.  It’s a bit smoother and gets rid of the resonator in the intake.  If you want an open element for the sound(which I get, and is a valid reason IMO) then find whatever used one you can on your local classifieds.  A tune would do you a whole lot better if you are after power.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I have had an aem dry filter before which was great because i didn’t need to oil.  I’ll see if they have a drop in for my truck.  I’ll also look into the MiT tube.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy knows!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Is air raid the only one making MIT tubes ? Seems excessive to spend 160 on a tube.

And AEM does have the dry flow drop in filter. 40 bux! That’s  a great price considering a paper one is 15 bux
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is air raid the only one making MIT tubes ? Seems excessive to spend 160 on a tube.

And AEM does have the dry flow drop in filter. 40 bux! That’s  a great price considering a paper one is 15 bux
View Quote

I believe so, you could always try Amazon or the Chinese equivalent for a knock off version considering it’s made over there anyway.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:02:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Chevy Blazer has just over 400,000 original miles.  I think I installed a K&N air filter on it somewhere around the 150,000 mile point or so and I have not had any problems.  It does throw an MAF sensor code every once in a while.  That is actually my cue to clean and oil the filter.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Stock air filter isn't very restrictive at all. That just marketing bs for the most part

That no name rough country kit will likely be more restrictive.

All you will get is more noise.

If you get a air intake kit get one from a big name in filters

Volant, s&b,  banks are a few good ones.

Oiled filters typically cause issues with the maf sensors
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My Chevy Blazer has just over 400,000 original miles.  I think I installed a K&N air filter on it somewhere around the 150,000 mile point or so and I have not had any problems.  It does throw an MAF sensor code every once in a while.  That is actually my cue to clean and oil the filter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What year is your Blazer? One of the old T/S trucks?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bullshit, i have seen it too many times when I was the dealership. Only thing K&N's are worth a shit on is motorcycles and old air cooled VW's.
View Quote

Well we get plenty of them in at our dealership with them and don't see that problem.....
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I recommend the Magnuson Intake, they'll ship with  pulleys making around 11 PSI manifold pressure, which  you will enjoy.
If you are willing to run very good  FUEL, you can change pulleys and  make 14 pounds of boost-  you will have to be  more careful, regards traction, and  drivetrain weakness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top