Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2020 7:16:59 PM EDT
For the life of me, I can't figure this issue out with my sister's CR-V.   2002 with 312,000 miles on it.   Runs fantastic, but I just can't figure out the indication issue with the temp gauge.    So far, I've replaced the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor, with no change on what the gauge shows or how it behaves.

She has a heated garage and when she starts the car in the morning on her way to work, the temp gauge indicator slowly comes up and stabilizes in the middle of the gauge, just like it is suppose to.    But, when the car sits outside in the cold all day, and you go to start it, the needle slowly comes up normally, but will keep on climbing towards the top of the gauge.   So, we shut the car off, wait a couple minutes, restart, and generally have to go thru this procedure a couple times before the indicator will climb up and stay in the middle of the gauge like it is suppose to.

The coolant was fine before, had no oil in it, was very clean, and simply looked brand new.   The oil dipstick shows just oil on it.......no coolant mixed in with it.   The car runs really good, but it's just odd when it sits out in the cold for an extended period, you have to shut if off and restart it a couple times before the indicator stays in the middle of the gauge.

What am I left with to swap out?   The temp gauge?    Not even sure you can do that.   Thinking I might have to swap out the entire instrument cluster.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I think when I get home tomorrow, gonna swap instrument clusters.   I have a 2002 CR-V as well.

Can't believe the thermostat and coolant temp sensor didn't resolve the problem.   It's not throwing any codes.

Gawd I suck at "fixing" stuff.

:/
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
radiator plugged up
or
312K miles might just be broke in enough to not gaf
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
radiator plugged up
or
312K miles might just be broke in enough to not gaf
View Quote
radiator looks really clean on the inside.

gonna go with not gaf.    
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Water pump maybe ? Although not common. Mine lasted over 400,000 miles
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The fans turning on? If so and there are no signs of leaks, I’d be doing a block check to check for combustion gases in the cooling system.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the replies.

pulled my instrument cluster out of my CR-V and installed in my sister's CR-V.    I let the car sit outside in the 15 degree cold all night and fired it up the next morning.   The temp gauge (with my cluster installed) slowly came up to normal operating temperature and stabilized and stayed there.   So, guess the temp gauge in her cluster is bad.

Probably not gonna put anymore money into her car.   The rust is starting to get pretty bad, and I think she's gonna sell it.    Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#7]
When's the last time the timing belt was R/R ?   The timing belt drives the water pump on Hondas.  Also, just because you put in a different thermostat, doesn't mean it works properly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When's the last time the timing belt was R/R ?   The timing belt drives the water pump on Hondas.  Also, just because you put in a different thermostat, doesn't mean it works properly.
View Quote
2002 CR-V is chain.

And I agree,  new thermostats, like any other new car part, can be defective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top