Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 11:54:52 AM EDT
I have a 2000 Silverado that will crank but not start. It drove home from work fine, but the next day it wouldn't start. It has the 4.3 v6. It has spark and fuel pressure. It won't start on ether in the throttle body. No check engine light or codes. I have checked distributor, MAP sensor, MAF sensor, idle air control valve, and removed plugs overnight to eliminate flooding as an issue. All I can think of is that it somehow lost compression overnight!?!? What am I missing?

Truck picture
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Working on one of these right now actually.

Are you able to start it with starting fluid?  These are notorious for the spider injectors going bad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Starting fluid didn't work. I ruled out the injectors due to that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The security light on? If so leave the key in the on post for approximately 15 min, preferably with a battery charger on it. I have replaced quite a few of those spider fuel injector assemblies in the past, and fuel pumps. Should have at a min 50psi.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Check it for codes if it does not start on some carb cleaner. Could be you got moisture in the ‘distributor’ cap. Also look at your coil wire for burn through. I have run into a few 4.3’s doing this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Crank Position Sensor
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
How did you check for spark? If I remember correctly, the front crank sensor is right next to the balancer and likes to get oil soaked. I have found soaked plugs and deteriorating wires there.

You should be able to check to see if the valves are moving by looking through the oil fill tube, while someone cranks it for you. That will tell you if you broke a timing chain.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
If it doesn't even burp on ether then it's spark related. How many miles? Lots could be a timing chain skipped but most will still pop a bit. Either CPS or you lost the ign mod.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]
It has spark on the first 2 plugs anyways. I thought that it wouldn't spark if crank sensor was bad. It is pretty covered in oil down there though. I took the distributor cap off and it didn't look burned at all. I'm working on getting a compression test kit and then I will see if that's it somehow. No codes are being thrown. It has about 185,000 miles.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The security light on? If so leave the key in the on post for approximately 15 min, preferably with a battery charger on it. I have replaced quite a few of those spider fuel injector assemblies in the past, and fuel pumps. Should have at a min 50psi.
View Quote

No security light. It has about 55 psi on the fuel line coming into the engine bay. The cap did have a little moisture, but didn't look burn at all... and it has spark..
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How did you check for spark? If I remember correctly, the front crank sensor is right next to the balancer and likes to get oil soaked. I have found soaked plugs and deteriorating wires there.

You should be able to check to see if the valves are moving by looking through the oil fill tube, while someone cranks it for you. That will tell you if you broke a timing chain.
View Quote

Checked for spark by holding the plug on a ground while engine was being cranked. I checked 2 plugs. I should look at valves if it is that easy! I will do that today hopefully.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have good spark and good fuel pressure, I’d give it one more go with a big blast of carb cleaner. I want to say I’ve seen one or two of those distributor shafts jump out of time. Usually just a worn out shaft, but can be a worn out gear on the oil pump.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you have good spark and good fuel pressure, I’d give it one more go with a big blast of carb cleaner. I want to say I’ve seen one or two of those distributor shafts jump out of time. Usually just a worn out shaft, but can be a worn out gear on the oil pump.
View Quote

You were on the money with the distributor. New cap and rotor and now I'm in business. Timing was good, but I guess it had worn out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top