Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2019 2:06:01 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

The one on the left is new.

The one on the right is from 1978.  Scored it today.

This is my first old bottle.  I’m excited to crack them both and compare a new cheap version and an old “premium”
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the "New" Benchmark.

I never knew it was an "old" brand...
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah.  Pretty neat history.  Started in the 60s by Seagrams to be a premium, “luxury” bourbon.  Distilled and  bottled until 76 or 77 by four roses.  Then they switched to a Louisville facility that I believe was run by heaven hill.  Sold to sazerac or buffalo trace in like 89 and they used the name on their budget line.  Not sure how many times they changed the recipe.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#3]
TAG for after action report.  Benchmark is my house brand based on the flavor similarity to Buffalo Trace and due to the difficulty getting BT around here.  I'm under the impression its the same mash bill as BT but just aged less and color added.

Admittedly, I drink Benchmark mixed with Dr. Pepper, and drink for affect rather than neat or on rocks.  If I'm sipping, its BT or something more expensive and usually over ice or with a splash of water.

Let us know how Benchmark "classic" compares.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
You are correct in that the current stuff is the same mashbill

So I actually haven’t cracked into this bottle yet.  I’ve actually hit a bit of a flood of dusty bottles, and now have way, way too many.  So many that I’m considering swinging by one of the buy/sell shops in Kentucky next time I’m driving through and unloading some of them.

This weekend I’m planning to pick up a 1975 benchmark(distilled by four roses)  to compliment this one.

So it may be a while before I end up cracking these.  Although it will be really neat to compare all 3.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Added the 1975 bottle to the collection.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thought I'd give this thread a bump. Curious if you've had a chance to try the dusty Benchmarks out yet? @Justin3
View Quote
Not yet!  I plan on it eventually.  But for now too many other old bottles have had my attention-  72 OGD, 67 Dickel, 70s beams, 69 old crow chessmen, 69 dant, etc... I will eventually, and will swing back through to update
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not yet!  I plan on it eventually.  But for now too many other old bottles have had my attention-  72 OGD, 67 Dickel, 70s beams, 69 old crow chessmen, 69 dant, etc... I will eventually, and will swing back through to update
View Quote
You should post a photo of this haul
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You should post a photo of this haul
View Quote
I’ve had so many hauls in the last 6 months since I started this I wouldnt know where to begin.

Keeping with the thread topic, I’ve added a few more benchmarks to the stable

Attachment Attached File

And they are good

Attachment Attached File

A couple more randoms that I have pictures of on my phone

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]
in for after action review
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Bumpity bump.

In a viral world gone mad, we can't wait to hear more!

I'm digging that old "Collectors Edition" Ezra Brooks, as Ezra Brooks sour mash has become one of my go to budget bourbons. Wish today's EB was still 12 years old....
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Been pretty damn busy at work with the current pandemic, but have had a few opportunities to crack some and compare.

This was great.  Such a classic beam profile.

Attachment Attached File

Put a pretty good dent in it

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top