Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 12:35:00 AM EDT
For some time, the exhaust from our 95 Suburban has been very smelly.  I recently had the exhaust system inspected and updated, but the odor continues.  I checked the oil and it needed a quart after less than 1200 miles since the last time I changed it, and based on the dipstick, i think I could add more.  So, it seems to be using oil.  Other than this issue, the truck is running fine at 238,000 miles. There are coagulated oil patches in the garage, but no puddles or anything that suggests significant leakage. I recently replaced the plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap. Any thoughts on what this truck needs?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the coolant?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
What does the "smelly" exhaust smell like?

A compression test is simple and could put you on the right path.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I am guessing you will be down some on compression and the exhaust smells like burnt oil that has gone through a cat.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#4]
If she puffs smoke when started warm.

Valve guide seals. Not to hard to change.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Compression test. Could have some broken rings with the higher mileage.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My old ‘95 Mustang GT would have a funny smelling exhaust with winter blend fuel.  Kind of a chemical smell.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am guessing you will be down some on compression and the exhaust smells like burnt oil that has gone through a cat.
View Quote

Leaking valve cover gaskets? When they leak on a SBC, it's often right onto the exhaust manifolds. The valve guide seal suggestion is a good one, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top