SECOND
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
someone please help me out here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClCMR58LV8

View Quote

You better be willing to back that up...

TOMBSTONE: I don't think I'll let you arrest us today, Behan.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank God they took those deadly muzzle devices off the rifles.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Call me optimistic, but I don't think the Democrats have the 60 votes needed to pass anything as polarizing as another AWB.
View Quote

They didn’t have enough votes to beat Trump either, but *gestures broadly* here we are.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Everything "preban" was advertised like "NFA/Pistol use only" is today. I think I paid $1079 for a used Colt 6601 lower, ~$750 for a 6922 upper and $75 a pop for used G23 mags but that wasn't the bad part. Constantly worrying about getting questioned by ignorant LEO's was the real concern.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There was NO DECREASE in gun deaths during the ban.
View Quote
@Ninering51 That is blatantly not true, there was a decrease, but it had NOTHING to do with the ban, and continued afterwards.  Some of that was definitely crack epidemic declining.  Some of it is arguably from legalized abortion, since that's right about when it would have impacted.  

The argument to use is that the ban was useless because it didn't show any "rebound" effect when removed.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
1994 in a nutshell:

As long as you don't touch my turdy-turdy, I'm ok with it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
2021 AWB:  This time, no mistakes like in 1994

--NO sunset; this ban lives forever

--NO grandfathering, so no more sales of “preban” guns or mags. My guess is that they won't try mass confiscation (too messy) but will "allow" you to keep what you have BUT you can never sell or transfer them.  When you die (or more quickly, you are RedFlagged) it all gets turned in to the govt.   In 1 generation, it’s all gone with no muss, no fuss.   Liberals are patient like that.  This will also put a crimp in some people's plans to stock up now so that they can "make a killing" off of "pre-ban" pricing like in 1994.   "No Grandfathering" will put an end to that scheme.

--ONLY 1 “evil feature” needed to be an assault weapon (unlike 1994, where *2* features were needed.   That’s why you could have a pistol grip OR a collapsible stock but not both).  2021: 1 evil feature and its banned.

You might say it’s unenforceable, but the Liberals have never cared about whether a law is effective or not (re:ObamaCare).  When it is shown to NOT be effective (and it will be), its just the reason they need to enact even MORE restrictions, aka, the "got to close the loophole!" gambit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#12]
It sucked ass.  I was just starting to get into guns and suddenly mags became horrendously expensive overnight.  I remember paying $110 for a Glock 22 mag.  I ended up with a several crappy mags for my AR, but they were all I could get.  The non-collapsible stock thing was annoying, but the mag part was the worst of it.  I even bought mags for guns I didn't have, but wanted to get "someday."

The mag thing even affected even how I would shoot, since mags were largely irreplaceable.  I was always paranoid about losing them at the range, so I would scoop them back up right after I did a mag change.  Not the best way to train...

I think I may have overcompensated a bit since mags became available again.  I was re-arranging some stuff in my safe and discovered I have around 30+ AR mags, 20+ Glock 17 mags, and various and sundry mags for other guns.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I paid $800 and change for a Colt SP1 lower during the ban and found a surplus Colt A2 upper and parts kit for $400 to complete the rifle. The first AR I ever had.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
This one will be nothing like it, if they pass one anyway.

RFLs and making 87% of gun owners extreme terror
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But ironically AK mags I remember were cheaper then today.
View Quote

I remember buying surplus used 30rd AK mags in 2000 at Knob Creek machine gun shoot for $7. Guy had a Uhaul full of crates of them.  My buddy who still has them says they’re better than any of the commercial stuff available now at higher prices.
Also remember buying a NIW Thermold 30rd AR mag around the same time for $25 that broke on it’s first trip to the range.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It had a sunset clause after 10 years. In a nutshell, it expired.

But don't you worry, there will be another AWB during Unpresident Joseph Robinovich Xiden's first term as Unpresident, except this time ... it will be permanent!!!
View Quote

The Republicans were the ones that got the 10 Sunset in it. Bob Dole could have stopped it but he had plans on running for President and running on getting the ban lifted. Well it didn't work out for him because so many people were Pizzed at him and the Republicans letting it thru to start with. I don't think there are enough Republicans that would stand up for any Right at the present moment. The real problem is that it's the Democrats that are causing the problems that cause laws to get passed. The real solution is to ban Democrats.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The 94 ban was a 10 year ban on new manufacturing of deadly assault  weapons and high capacity magazines. There were parts available for pre and post. Pre ban mags commanded a premium and so did pre 94 made weapons.
View Quote

It was not a "10 year ban," per se.  

It had a "sunset" provision and needed to be renewed by the congress and POTUS in 10 years.

Republicans had control of both the House and Senate that year and worked for YOU and didn't pass a bill for George W. Bush to sign,

which, in fact he said he would sign, if it was approved and landed on his desk.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I paid $800 and change for a Colt SP1 lower during the ban and found a surplus Colt A2 upper and parts kit for $400 to complete the rifle. The first AR I ever had.
View Quote

That's what happened to all the collectible SP1s.  The lowers were sold off from the uppers because they were worth more parted out, than complete.  

Try finding an original, mint SP1 today.  They were everywhere in 1994.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It had a "sunset" provision and needed to be renewed by the congress and POTUS in 10 years.

Republicans had control of both the House and Senate that year and worked for YOU and didn't pass a bill for George W. Bush to sign,

which, in fact he said he would sign, if it was approved and landed on his desk.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 94 ban was a 10 year ban on new manufacturing of deadly assault  weapons and high capacity magazines. There were parts available for pre and post. Pre ban mags commanded a premium and so did pre 94 made weapons.

Republicans letting it sunset were working for us? Lol

They were probably worried about losing the gun vote back then. Luckily they have learned since then that passing gun control doesn't cost them many votes...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's what happened to all the collectible SP1s.  The lowers were sold off from the uppers because they were worth more parted out, than complete.  

View Quote

I thought some of the early SP1's had a different sized takedown pin than more modern platforms?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It sucked ass.  I was just starting to get into guns and suddenly mags became horrendously expensive overnight.  I remember paying $110 for a Glock 22 mag.  I ended up with a several crappy mags for my AR, but they were all I could get.  The non-collapsible stock thing was annoying, but the mag part was the worst of it.  I even bought mags for guns I didn't have, but wanted to get "someday."

The mag thing even affected even how I would shoot, since mags were largely irreplaceable.  I was always paranoid about losing them at the range, so I would scoop them back up right after I did a mag change.  Not the best way to train...

I think I may have overcompensated a bit since mags became available again.  I was re-arranging some stuff in my safe and discovered I have around 30+ AR mags, 20+ Glock 17 mags, and various and sundry mags for other guns.
View Quote

I bought 20 "gently used" USGI mags for $20 each.

The bent feed lips could barely contain the sand in them from the 1st gulf war.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still have mine that I bought before the ban. Nowhere near mint as I shoot everything I have.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#23]
The ‘94 AWB was targeted at “offensive” features and standard capacity magazines, more than 10 rounds. Most of the gun companies just deleted the bayonet lugs, flash hiders and folding or collapsing stocks and made neutered versions of the same rifles. With 10 round mags. 30 round mags were only available to Police or Government agencies.

After the ban some friends noticed the pre ban AR Ibuilt and had me build them post ban ARs with the plain muzzle and fixed stock. Pre ban lowers and 30 round mags sold at a premium!  Think $100 for a $10 USGI magazine.
   IIRC, this is when the hipoint carbine was invented and why they only ever had 10 round mags.

DemonRats have figured out this loophole they left and won’t make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hate that terminology, anyway I have been a gun guy my whole life but only fudd guns until 2005.  I was too busy with life and raising a family to have paid any attn.  Tell me about the 94' ban,  were uppers available, parts, was it a manufacturing date ban or sell date shit out of luck with leftover inventory or what? Please fill me in.
View Quote

$130 G23 mags is all you need to know. Pre-ban parts were available, nobody openly flaunted the law.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It banned certain features such as flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, pistol grips, and magazines over 10 round capacity for new manufacture. Otherwise, it was drive on as before, so you saw minor modifications and sales continued.

One of the interesting consequences is that it also coincided with the military drawdown, so makers of 30 round mags went out of business because they were making it on civilian sales, other parts makers for the military also had no sales. Thus when global war on terror cranks up, the .mil can't get mags and certain parts for weapons.
View Quote

But the Mini-14 was not included since the 2nd A traitor William Batterson Ruger helped write the AW Ban.
Thank GOD he's still dead.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
CT retained the 94 AWB and added even more restrictions after the Sandy Hook shooting.
View Quote
Because it worked so well in preventing the Sandy Hook shooting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In 1990’s $’s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It sucked. Paid $125 for a G21 mag

In 1990’s $’s.

This. Paid $75 for a used G23 mag.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As has been stated, the worst part of the ban was the magazine restriction (and cost of "pre-ban" magazines).

As far as rifles were concerned, for the most part it meant no collapsible stock, no flash suppressor, and no bayo lug.

My ban era gun looked like this Bushmaster:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3266/3139562929_abd646c01d_b.jpg

ETA:  Except slightly purple with a canted front sight, both of which were popular at the time.  
View Quote

I still have my first at that I ever bought.  It looked exactly like that!  Paid 950.00 for it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This one will be nothing like it, if they pass one anyway.

RFLs and making 87% of gun owners extreme terror
View Quote

Probably will be different. This time could very well be - Game On!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I still have a few of the preban USA mags for my 92FS and my Mini-14. Man did they suck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The next ban will be nothing like the 94 ban.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This ban will close any "loopholes" that still allow you to have anything effective against tyranny.
View Quote

there will be no sunset clause.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I hate that terminology, anyway I have been a gun guy my whole life but only fudd guns until 2005.  I was too busy with life and raising a family to have paid any attn.  Tell me about the 94' ban,  were uppers available, parts, was it a manufacturing date ban or sell date shit out of luck with leftover inventory or what? Please fill me in.
View Quote

Honestly, why do you (or anyone else) care?
There is NOTHING to learn from it for us. For them, there is a ton to learn. Any future AWB will look nothing like the Clinton AWB.
It will fix all the holes in that, and then go about 10 miles beyond where it stopped.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Join the GOA or similar.
Call your representatives in both houses and tell them no with emphasis that they will be voted out.
Join GOA or similar.
Repeat. Again and again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep....they learned the lesson last time, there will be no sunset on the next one and it will be much more restrictive.
View Quote

The sunset was because they couldn't pass it without it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just remember this, Bush said that if it hit his desk, he would sign a renewal!

For all of you crying about who's in the white house, remember this, it doesn't matter!!! All politicians could care less about the 2A and would give it up if it meant another term for them!
View Quote

It wasn't renewed because of Bush. We had a thread on it at the time--Repubs were pushing threw tort protection for firearms (an early version, not the one that passed), and Bush had it killed when the Dems tacked on the ban. He specifically demanded a "clean bill". No AWB.

If you recall, Bush was being asked about the AWB to hurt him in the election. Media asked several times. It was a set up because they knew however he answered it would hurt with some voters (or so they thought). At the time polling showed AWBs to have wide support.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They didn’t have enough votes to beat Trump either, but *gestures broadly* here we are.
View Quote

How many votes do they need to kill the filibuster? How many weak Rs might go along?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How many votes do they need to kill the filibuster? How many weak Rs might go along?
View Quote

51 votes to kill the filibuster.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@Ninering51 That is blatantly not true, there was a decrease, but it had NOTHING to do with the ban, and continued afterwards.  Some of that was definitely crack epidemic declining.  Some of it is arguably from legalized abortion, since that's right about when it would have impacted.  

The argument to use is that the ban was useless because it didn't show any "rebound" effect when removed.

View Quote

Homicides have been going down in advanced nations. In the US it went down until after the first run of BLM riots, when it went up again specifically due to the increase in the black homicide rate (which previously was going down).

BLM has killed lots of black people, ironically.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Republicans were the ones that got the 10 Sunset in it. Bob Dole could have stopped it but he had plans on running for President and running on getting the ban lifted. Well it didn't work out for him because so many people were Pizzed at him and the Republicans letting it thru to start with. I don't think there are enough Republicans that would stand up for any Right at the present moment. The real problem is that it's the Democrats that are causing the problems that cause laws to get passed. The real solution is to ban Democrats.
View Quote

I wasn't aware Dole could have stopped it. I believe he did push the 1984 Dole amendment that allowed import of milsurps again.

There are huge changes since 94. On the good side, EBRs are now popular. On the minus, the Ds are now insane and seem willing to do anything to win and no interest in compromise.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, and he also told congress to send him a "clean" bill, and had them kill the tort reform bill the Ds tacked the ban to.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

But the Mini-14 was not included since the 2nd A traitor William Batterson Ruger helped write the AW Ban.
Thank GOD he's still dead.
View Quote

It wasn't included since it lacked the naughty features. Also, Ruger didn't help them write it. He wanted a 15 round limit, not a 10 round limit. He didn't want it to impact his 9mm pistol but would be happy if it impacted the G17.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#43]
No bayo lugs, bare crowns, and fixed/pinned/non-collapsible stocks.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But don't you worry, there will be another AWB during Unpresident Joseph Robinovich Xiden's first term as Unpresident, except this time ... it will be permanent!!!

You’re half right. It was going to pass. And Bob Dole was responsible for the sunset after 10 years.
Clinton wanted a win and he was willing to burn political capital to get it.
What he underestimated was Newt, contract with America and talk radio.
We are lucky we had Republican control of the house when it sunset.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We are lucky we had Republican control of the house when it sunset.
View Quote

And we are lucky we had Tom DeLay.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let me tell you about the AWB...

It was enforced about as well as the CO mag ban.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Are there any documented cases of someone being prosecuted for features of a post ban rifle?  In the late 90s I sold a post ban Bushmaster to a coworker. He sold it to someone else who had it stolen in a burglary. Several years later I was contacted by the ATF when it turned up.  Agent tip-toed around the topic but it was clear he only cared about what configuration it was in when I sold it. Never heard another word about it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Bought my Glock during that with low cap mags. Bought extensions.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

As much as "they" believe the 2nd amendment to be obsolete, we believe 3d printing and table top manufacturing will make gun control ineffective and effectively obsolete too
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And we are lucky we had Tom DeLay.
View Quote

Correct, Tom Delay, AKA "The Hammer", was a key player here.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top