Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2021 8:46:47 PM EDT
Guy in town has one for sale possible, gonna look at it better on sat.

Supposed no rust, 124k , 4x4 , auto, 318cid.

I know nothing about Dodge trucks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#1]
A 35YO Dodge truck with no rust?
I would not believe him.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would not believe him.
View Quote

I seen truck in person a month ago, looked clean but I didn't crawl all over it
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolute dog.

Absolutely bulletproof.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Love those trucks.

Around here, it’d be worth its weight in gold.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Absolute dog.

Absolutely bulletproof.
View Quote

He's right ya know.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would not believe him.
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get me pics Ive been looking for a while, If you decide to pass
View Quote

Ok, will do
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a '86 Ramcharger 4x4 in the family fleet a few years ago now, only had about 65k. Southern truck, good shape, no rust to speak of.

If the truck is running and driving, that's a start.

Main issues are everything that holds some form of liquid will likely be leaking. Plan on going through and resealing the engine, trans, PS, new hoses, new radiator and heater core.
86 is one of the last years for carbs, but it's an electronically controlled 2 barrel.  Rats nest of vacuum hoses that are all going to be dry-rotted. Can R&R to a 4 barrel with new intake and fiddling. Still going to be a low compression engine with the stock heads though.
Vacuum operated disconnect front axle. Temperamental. can be locked permanently and lose most of the vacuum op system and traditional locking hubs installed.

Door gaskets if available.

Interior plastics are extremely fragile.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Guy in town has one for sale possible, gonna look at it better on sat.

Supposed no rust, 124k , 4x4 , auto, 318cid.

View Quote
the 80's 318's a decent motors if they have been cared for properly, an '86 is probably carbureted and likely a 2 barrel, it's a "smog" motor also so it'll have a smog pump and a bunch of emissions fuckery piped around the engine bay.

Check the oil and other fluids well, it can be reliable but dont expect it to be a hot rod, too much emissions crap on it. You can liven it up by stripping the cats and smog stuff and slapping on a 4bbl carb and intake (dual exhaust etc.) if your state allows it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had a '86 Ramcharger 4x4 in the family fleet a few years ago now, only had about 65k. Southern truck, good shape, no rust to speak of.

Main issues are everything that holds some form of liquid will likely be leaking. Plan on going through and resealing the engine, trans, PS, new hoses, new radiator and heater core.
86 is one of the last years for carbs, but it's an electronically controlled 2 barrel.  Rats nest of vacuum hoses that are all going to be dry-rotted. Can R&R to a 4 barrel with new intake and fiddling. Still going to be a low compression engine with the stock heads though.
Vacuum operated disconnect front axle. Temperamental. can be locked permanently and lose most of the vacuum op system and traditional locking hubs installed.

View Quote
^^ all true.

I'm restoring a Ramcharger right now, it's a beast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah, one other thing... add a huge ass plate transmission cooler. Older autos run hot due the slippage inherent in the older designs and never, never have enough cooling capacity from the factory.

https://www.holley.com/products/cooling/oil_and_transmission_coolers/supercoolers/parts/70274
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok thanks, guy stopping tomorrow,  I'll get pics
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok thanks, guy stopping tomorrow,  I'll get pics
View Quote

Tagging for pics.

I remember a nice looking Dodge about that vintage in my town years ago. The owner had had "Half fast, half ton" stenciled on the sides.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Think "Tank"....  I have a 1974 W200 4x4 4spd 318cid bbd 2 bbl "Stella".
I have rolled the odometer over oce already I purchased her in 87  she now has 247K or so on her.
Still runs and drives. Garage kept since I've owned her (except when on adventure).  
Needs a frame up brakes for sure (drums all around).
I call her my "Mud Gubbin' Stump jumpin' get you there and get you back again adventure vehicle"
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Other than that though, a solid truck?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I had one of those as my first truck.

Heater core is not fun to replace, but it was a good truck to me.  
Leaked about a quart of oil every 2 weeks.. perpetual undercoating we called it.
2BBL carb wasn't big enough on that 318.  VIN said it originally came through with a 360
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Absolute dog.

Absolutely bulletproof.
View Quote

Shouldn't be bad with the 318.

My vocational school had a 2wd, auto trans, slant six truck for students to use to get parts.

We went to a local dealership to grab our stuff. When we got back the instructor told us that we'd been asked to never go back to the dealership because we were doing burnouts and shot rocks into a couple of new cars.

Instructor was like "I know you couldn't have done it, because the truck won't do it, but you guys can't go back.". Lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most everything needed on a 35 year old truck is age related. Once that is solved they’re usually pretty decent. Solid axles, leaf sprung, V8 1/2 ton with minimal electronics. You’re not going to win any drag races stock but they’re fairly hard to kill.

I did tend to like to carry a “known good” ignition box with the mopars though. Never had to use one out and about but that always seems to be a weak spot for them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Just met with guy, he brought truck up, drove it, etc.

Was different then my K5 Blazer. Lol

Has 2" body lift, headers,  dual exhaust, dude said he was new single that goes with it

Body us clean and straight,  same with frame,  motor been swapped,  so mileage and year unknown, but runs good, no noises or smoke. Carb needs tweaked, has an edlebrook that needs peddle input even after warmed up , where my K5 will start without peddle input once warmed.

Brakes were fine but might have leaking wheel cylinder,  seemed a little weak, compared to K5. Don't know if this a dodge thing or not

Needs electrical looked at, fuel gauge  and oil press. didn't work. Truck drive fine , decent power for what I need, weird not having OD like my K5, kept looking for that next shift to OD, lol.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@mag162
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#21]
if the price is right buy it and put some 32x11.50 AT tires on it and rock on

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks straight from the pictures.

What's he asking?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I’d buy that
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks straight from the pictures.

What's he asking?
View Quote

He wants $5500. Says has that in it, don't think he'd come down,  maybe $5000 but none lower
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:46:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He wants $5500. Says has that in it, don't think he'd come down,  maybe $5000 but none lower
View Quote
5k seems decent if it all checks out.

Hows the inside?

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Decent, bench seat been replaced but great shape and very comfy,  couple trim pieces broke on A pillar, headliner shot, carpet is fine, supposedly they coated the floor, id yank the carpet and rubber mat it.

Dash seemed fine,  nothing stood out. Interior lights and cargo lights work. Heat worked great and he has new AC components he is presently working on. Power windows work fine, no tilt wheel or electric door locks.

Talked to buddy bout carb issue,  likely improper choke setup and / or float set too low
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Doesn't sound too bad price-wise.

Likely does have poorly adjusted drum brakes. And fluid probably hasn't been changed in forever, along with the hoses. Front calipers also probably need to be greased up.

Lose the body lift ASAP

2 barrel or 4 barrel carb? Totally shocking that a carb will need to be tinkered with. Would also trace all the vacuum lines that have likely been butchered.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#28]
4 bbl carb, no idle issues, all smog removed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top