Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 12:56:02 PM EDT
I picked-up this decent 1974 6" S&W 17-3 today in a trade deal. Target stocks, hammer, and trigger.

Attachment Attached File

LOL.....It looks a lot better than my well worn 17 no-dash that was the "community revolver" in a South American embassy.

Still and all the old 17 shoots very well but it just has the normal hammer/trigger. The OEM stocks were so worn I had to replace them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!  My uncle has one. The trigger is smooth as glass.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The S&W 22 revolvers are some of the finest 22s ever built.  You chose wisely!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I'm guessing you paid $4 and traded 3old rusty gi mags so congrats
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a huge Smith and Wesson 357 and 44 magnum fan.

There are a lot of Smith and Wesson 22 revolver's to choose from

what is the grail 22
additionally what is the more common version that is still very respectable?

Thank you

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]

what is the grail 22

Thank you

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I really want one of those.

It looks great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My 17-6 was one of the best firearm purchases I ever made. Absolutely beautiful pistol and very fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I'm guessing you paid $4 and traded 3old rusty gi mags so congrats
View Quote

I traded a spare Model 36 square-butt for it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 4" Combat Masterpiece. The trigger is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
OP keeps posting his finds to torture me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a 4" Combat Masterpiece. The trigger is outstanding.
View Quote

I picked-up a Model 18 CM in .22 a few weeks back....Kinda worn but 18s are hen's teeth these days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The OP must be retired because he posts of awesome gun acquisitions on a daily basis that no 9 to 5 man could possibly pull off. I’m jelly. Nice find.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

what is the grail 22

Thank you

View Quote

Well you need a 6" model 17.  The K frames are great.  

You'll need a 4" model 18 as well, in case you want to carry it more comfortably in a holster.  I try to stick to the -2's.  Late 60's was the last of the Smiths before they started slipping a bit.  As evidenced by OP's -3 though, later examples can still be exceptional.

You'll need a 34 or a 63 to carry in your tackle box.  I prefer the 63 just because it's stainless, but unfortunately the 63's didn't come into production until after S&W's quality control went downhill.

And go ahead and get a 41 while you're at it.  I love the 5" LW barrel, and you can swap on a 7" or 5" Target barrel and take it to the matches.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice gun, too bad there isn't cheap ammo anymore,
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad has a 6" K-22 my mom got for him in the early 70's. My grandpa had an 8-3/8".

Between them I learned to shoot a revolver, as a kid.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I always wanted a S&W 22 revolver.     I know there are a bunch of models but what kind of $$$ are we talking about one in the condition the OP posted?

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there ANY gun you haven't traded yet?  You must have a huge spreadsheet of "yep" or "nope" in your head about guns in a 300, 500 mile radius.

Good lord, man, you're gonna catch an ITAR violation soon.

ETA: So jelly anyway...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is there ANY gun you haven't traded yet?  You must have a huge spreadsheet of "yep" or "nope" in your head about guns in a 300, 500 mile radius.

Good lord, man, you're gonna catch an ITAR violation soon.

ETA: So jelly anyway...
View Quote

There are about a baker's dozen I'd not trade away. Mostly a couple of family heirlooms and go-to stuff that does not have a 4473 attached to me.

For me the fun is in the hunt and making the deal. The gun itself is mostly a nice or interesting aside at this point.

That and a man would be a fool not to upgrade when the opportunity presents itself.....This current panic has been a great opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

what is the grail 22
View Quote

For S&W, the "grail" revolver in .22LR would be the K-22, specifically the pre-war Masterpiece K-22. They run around $3000-4500 in excellent condition.

Other K-22 models can be had in the $800-ish range up to $1800-1900 range.

As for "respectable" models, virtually any of the S&W revolvers fit into that description, IMO. S&W never made a "bad" revolver in .22, unlike their semi-auto models.

Some, but by no means all, of the models that are affordable are models 17, 18, 34, 43, 317, 617 & 43C. Virtually any of these can be had new or lightly used for less than $1,000 & most times well below that. (I just use $1,000 as a measuring point.) Keep in mind, these are .22LR calibers only, .22mag models are different numbers entirely.

If you do decide to spring some serious $$$ for one of these, PLEASE have someone who knows what they're doing look the gun over first before you part with your hard-earned $$. Some sellers will not mention mechanical defects to a buyer that doesn't know what to look for.

Also keep in mind that original grips can add up to $150 to the price of a gun. Original grips can be sold off (if you choose) & you can install something you prefer better. Lotsa options out there on grips. I like rosewood finger groove grips on my S&W's, a pic of which is below.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I prefer the 63 just because it's stainless, but unfortunately the 63's didn't come into production until after S&W's quality control went downhill.
View Quote

As a 63 owner, I cannot imagine why you'd think that..............  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#22]
A K Frame .22 LR revolver. A fantastic firearm. Congrats, OP!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Sweet!
There is one in EE I keep looking at but can’t spend the money right now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I always wanted a S&W 22 revolver.     I know there are a bunch of models but what kind of $$$ are we talking about one in the condition the OP posted?
View Quote

Depends on the model, IMO.

317s are probably the least expensive these days. I'd budget somewhere in the $500-ish range on these. Blued steel models seem to be in the $600-800 range, depending on condition & model. Prime specimens will be $800+, IMO.

Personally, *I* prefer the no-lock models. This drives the pricing up a bit but that means the new, trigger lock models are a little bit cheaper.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For S&W, the "grail" revolver in .22LR would be the K-22, specifically the pre-war Masterpiece K-22. They run around $3000-4500 in excellent condition.

Other K-22 models can be had in the $800-ish range up to $1800-1900 range.

As for "respectable" models, virtually any of the S&W revolvers fit into that description, IMO. S&W never made a "bad" revolver in .22, unlike their semi-auto models.

Some, but by no means all, of the models that are affordable are models 17, 18, 34, 43, 317, 617 & 43C. Virtually any of these can be had new or lightly used for less than $1,000 & most times well below that. (I just use $1,000 as a measuring point.) Keep in mind, these are .22LR calibers only, .22mag models are different numbers entirely.

If you do decide to spring some serious $$$ for one of these, PLEASE have someone who knows what they're doing look the gun over first before you part with your hard-earned $$. Some sellers will not mention mechanical defects to a buyer that doesn't know what to look for.

Also keep in mind that original grips can add up to $150 to the price of a gun. Original grips can be sold off (if you choose) & you can install something you prefer better. Lotsa options out there on grips. I like rosewood finger groove grips on my S&W's, a pic of which is below.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15596/rosewood_grips_png-1788688.JPG
View Quote
Thank you that is exactly what I needed!!!!

I'll post up any deals i root out!!

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice! I have a 17-4 in considerably worse condition. Its all honest wear though. I carried it in the woods and fields for years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

My Smith 17-5 that I posted in the OP's previous thread.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#30]
In regard to:

Quoted:

............If you do decide to spring some serious $$$ for one of these, PLEASE have someone who knows what they're doing look the gun over first before you part with your hard-earned $$. Some sellers will not mention mechanical defects to a buyer that doesn't know what to look for........
View Quote

I copied this down some years back and use these tips when considering a revolver-
also included the replies that followed.

Begin:
This thread covers how to pick out a new or used revolver at the gun shop/gun show table without firing it, safely. While I started it and provided a lot of the instructions, others helped fine-tune it and there is other good info throughout the thread:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

Downloadable PDF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Fh3F6hufhDMWZiNjBkMWItZDhkNS00MTlhLWE4YzMtOTdmN2YwNmY4NzM2/view

This thread may have been the most useful ever posted on the TFL revolver forum, and I'm very pleased to have started it.

Now it won't die.

The text from Handloads.com
Revolver checkout: how to tell if a particular specimen is any good
By Jim March

So you're buying a revolver. New, used, doesn't matter, you want a good one, right? How do check one over without firing it, right at the dealer's counter or gun show table? This is how. All of this works with DA or SA wheelguns..."close the action" on most DAs means swing the cylinder in, on SA types, close the loading gate, on break opens, close 'em. UNLOADED.

WARNING: most of these tests require violation of the "finger off trigger" rule. Therefore, be extremely careful about safe muzzle direction and making sure the gun is unloaded ahead of time, PERSONALLY, as you begin handling it.

Note: bring a small flashlight, something small and concentrated. A Photon or similar high-powered LED light is perfect. You also want feeler gauges if you're not used to eyeballing cylinder gaps; at a minimum, bring a .002", .004" and .006".

Note 2: no dry firing is required or desired at any point. It just pisses off the gun's current owner.

Cylinder play

1) With the gun UNLOADED (check for yourself!), close the action.

2) Thumb the hammer back, and while pulling the trigger, gently lower the hammer all the way down while keeping the trigger back - and KEEP holding the trigger once the hammer is down. (You've now put the gun in "full lockup" - keep  it there for this and most other tests.)

3) With the trigger still back all the way, check for cylinder wiggle. Front/back is particularly undesirable; a bit of side to side is OK but it's a bad thing if you can wiggle it one way, let go, and then spin it the other way a fraction of an inch and it stays there too. At the very least, it should "want" to stop in just one place (later, we'll see if that place is any good).
The ultimate is a "welded to the frame" feeling.

Cylinder gap

4) Still holding the trigger at full lockup, look sideways through the barrel/cylinder gap. If you can get a credit card  in there, that ain't good...velocity drops rapidly as the gap increases. Too tight isn't good either, because burnt powder crud will "fill the gap" and start making the cylinder spin funky. My personal .38 snubbie is set at .002, usually considered  the minimum...after about 40 shots at the range, I have to give the front of the cylinder a quick wipe so it spins free again.
I consider that a reasonable tradeoff for the increased velocity because in a real fight, I ain't gonna crank 40 rounds out of a 5-shot snub.

If you're eyeballing it, you'll have to hold it up sideways against an overhead light source.

SAFETY WARNING: This step in particular is where you MUST watch your muzzle direction. Look, part of what's  happening here is that you're convincing the seller you know your poop . It helps the haggling process. If you do anything unsafe, that impression comes completely unglued.

Timing

5) You really, REALLY want an unloaded gun for this one. This is where the light comes in. With the gun STILL held  in full lockup, trigger back after lowering the hammer by thumb, you want to shine a light right into the area at the rear of the cylinder near the firing pin. You then look down the barrel . You're looking to make sure the cylinder bore lines up with the barrel. Check every cylinder - that means putting the gun in full lockup for each cylinder before lighting it up.

You're looking for the cylinder and barrel holes to line up perfectly, it's easy to eyeball if there's even a faint light  source at the very rear of both bores. And with no rounds present, it's generally easy to get some light in past where the rims would be.

Bore

(We're finally done with that "full lockup" crap, so rest your trigger finger. )
6) Swing the cylinder open, or with most SAs pull the cylinder. Use the small flashlight to scope the bore out.
This part's easy - you want to avoid pitting, worn-out rifling, bulges of any sort. You want more light on the subject than just what creeps in from the rear of the cylinder on the timing check.

You also want to check each cylinder bore, in this case with the light coming in from the FRONT of each hole, you looking in from the back where the primers would be. You're looking for wear at the "restrictions" at the front of each cylinder bore. That's the "forcing cone" area and it can wear rapidly with some Magnum loads. (Special thanks to Salvo below for this bit!)

Trigger

7) To test a trigger without dry-firing it, use a plastic pen in front of the hammer to "catch" it with the off hand, especially if it's a "firing pin on the hammer" type. Or see if the seller has any snap-caps, that's the best solution. Flat-faced hammers as found in transfer-bar guns (Ruger, etc) can be caught with the off-hand without too much pain .

SA triggers (or of course a DA with the hammer cocked) should feel "like a glass rod breaking". A tiny amount of take-up slack  is tolerable, and is common on anything with a transfer bar or hammer block safety.

DA triggers are subjective. Some people like a dead-smooth feel from beginning of stroke to the end, with no "warning" that it's about to fire. Others (myself included) actually prefer a slight "hitch" right at the end, so we know when it's about to go. With that sort of trigger, you can actually "hold it" right at the "about to fire" point and do a short light stroke from there that rivals an SA shot for accuracy. Takes a lot of practice though. Either way, you don't want "grinding" through the length of the stroke, and the final stack-up at the end (if any) shouldn't be overly pronounced.

Detecting Bad Gunsmithing:
8) OK, so it's got a rock-solid cylinder, a .002" or .003" gap, and the trigger feels great. Odds are vastly in favor of it being tuned after leaving the factory.

So was the gunsmith any good?

Look at the screws. Ideally, they should be untouched, meaning that the gun has not been messed with. If the screw heads are battered and worn, it means the sideplate has been off, probably many times. A gun like that may have a smooth trigger, but the parts may have been polished out of time or (if a S&W) the case hardening cut through so the parts will wear out rapidly.
Many guns subjected to amateur gunsmithing turn up on the used gun market when the guy realizes he has messed up.

Next, cock it, then grab the hammer and "wiggle it around" a bit. Not too hard, don't bang on it, but give it a bit of up/down, left/right and circular action with finger off trigger and WATCH your muzzle direction.

You don't want that hammer slipping off an overly polished sear. You REALLY don't want that . It can be fixed by installing factory parts but that'll take modest money (more for installation than hardware costs) and it'll be big time unsafe until you do.

The other thing that commonly goes wrong is somebody will trim the spring, especially coil springs. You can spot that if you pull the grip panels, see if the spring was trimmed with wire cutters. If they get too wild with it, you'll get ignition failures on harder primers. But the good news is, replacement factory or Wolf springs are cheap both to buy and have installed.

There's also the legal problems Ayoob frequently describes regarding light triggers. If that's a concern, you can either swap back to stock springs, or since you bought it used there's no way to prove you knew it was modified at all .

In perspective:
Timing (test #5) is very critical...if that's off, the gun may not even be safe to test-fire. And naturally, a crappy barrel means a relatively pricey fix.

Cylinder gap is particularly critical on short-barreled and/or marginal caliber guns. If you need every possible ounce of energy, a tight gap helps. Some factory gaps will run as high as .006"; Taurus considers .007" "still in spec" (sigh).
You'll be hard-pressed to find any new pieces under .004" - probably because the makers realize some people don't  clean 'em often (or very well) and might complain about the cylinder binding up if they sell 'em at .002".

The guns in a dealer's "used pile" are often of unknown origin, from estate sales or whatever. Dealers don't have time to check every piece, and often don't know their history. These tests, especially cylinder gap and play, can spot a gun that's  been sent off for professional tuning...like my snubbie, the best $180 I ever spent .

As long as the gun is otherwise sound (no cracks, etc) a gunsmith can fix any of this. So these tests can help you pick a particularly good new specimen, or find a good used gun, or help haggle the price down on something that'll need a bit of work.
This article was originally a web board post at:

from Jim March and re-published with permission and has had minor changes from the original post based on additional information contributed by others in that discussion thread. You can find Jim online at http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/

Replies:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Only one thing missing from the checkout:

One should really bring a cast bullet to drop down all the chambers to check to see if they are over-sized.

Over-sized charge holes can result in everything from poor accuracy to key-holing. Not good. And you can't fix it short of replacing the entire cylinder!

If the chambers are correctly sized a cast bullet (not loaded round) of the appropriate size will NOT fall free of the charge holes when dropped in.

Example: for .357/.38 a .358 cast bullet should be used. For .45 a .452 cast bullet is fine.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No, once the gun is in "full lockup", you do NOT have to pull the hammer back again! At "full lockup" (and only one hand on the gun), you've got the gun in the same mechanical state it's going to be in when it goes "boom", which is the whole point - you then make 4 sure the barrel and cylinder bore are lined up.

You can do that two ways: use your other hand to shine the light into the rear of the cylinder area and hope you get enough in that it can be seen looking down the bore (in other words, use either a very concentrated or very potent light) OR if that won't work (such as a long-barreled 22 or 17 caliber), use the "rod method" - stick an aluminum or brass cleaning rod down the barrel and into the cylinder, and then on the way out gently "scrape" the interface between cylinder and barrel with the tip of the rod and make sure the "drop" is the same on both sides, by feel. This is surprisingly accurate - if the two sides are off any significant distance from each other, you'll catch it. Not quite as accurate as the light method though.

If it's an old recessed-chamber S&W magnum or some of the 22s with recessed chambers, you're not going to have a lot of room for light to get into the rear of the cylinder area. Ditto a Freedom Arms. A Surefire or other "megalight" may be necessary for that technique. It's worth the effort, as the light will be the most accurate way of doing the "circle in circle alignment" of cylinder bore/barrel.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
boots
September 10, 2003, 10:43 PM
3) With the trigger still back all the way, check for cylinder wiggle. Front/back is particularly undesirable; a bit of side to side is OK but it's a bad thing if you can wiggle it one way, let go, and then spin it the other way a fraction of an inch and it stays there too. At the very least, it should "want" to stop in just one place (later, we'll see if that place is any good). The ultimate is a "welded to the frame" feeling.

i ask, because i have a full underlug gp100(new when i got it) that has only seen about 100(rounds) 38spl, and 100(rounds) 357 mag. it is relatively new, and cosmetically, it is perfect. one thing about this gun was the horrible trigger pull. the solution? dry fire away, you won't hurt your ruger gp100. built like a tank... however, after about approximately 200 of the aforementioned rounds, and countless dry fires(without dummy rounds, the manual does not state that they are needed), the trigger pull is slightly better, but the side to side wiggle is pretty bad (approx 1/64 of an inch).

endshake is almost none. it shoots good. accurate out to 25 yards(at least). i classify the side to side movemnt as bad ,not arbitrariliy, but based on comparisons with my half lug 3" gp100. the endshake and side movement is non existant on my half lug. the half lug also shoots great. what i want to know is, how bad is it really to dry fire, even when the manual states that it will not harm the gun. because it seems that the dry firing has caused this side to side movement. actually, the side to side movement is less than 1/64 of an inch.

please, someone tell me to relax, and if it breaks, ruger has great customer service, and 99% chance that the side to side movement is inconsequential and only seems bad because i am extra critical with my pieces, and i should quit being so neurotic about my guns. please help.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

jim
September 11, 2003, 08:14 AM
Hmmm. Well we have more info to work on now. Good.

'Kay, I'm kinda guessing here, but what I *think* happened was, the dry-firing didn't "damage it" so much as "deburred it" in one or two key places.

On the cylinder are six little "key holes" we'll call 'em. In the frame, poking up from underneath, is the "locking lug", a protruding piece of metal that's designed to fit into those "key holes". Swing the cylinder out and you'll see it clearly.

When the gun is at "full lockup", with most DA designs that protruding piece is "jammed up into a key hole tight", locking the cylinder in place for firing.

I suspect that either the key holes or the protruding bit, or both, had minor burrs that were effectively tightening the action.
Once polished away with use, it loosened up a bit.

If so, the loosening will STOP at around where it is now. It bears watching, but if it's stays where it's at and the gun shoots fine, no problem. The Ruger DAs are meant to have slightly loose cylinders, they align themselves at the moment of firing.

What to do: check the timing. Use the "light at the rear" method, and if all six cylinder bores are lining up well with the barrel it is *definately* safe to shoot and if it's grouping OK, congrats: you have a normal GP100.

If this is a 6" barrel, the "light at the rear" method works, but you need a LOT of light or something super-concentrated. A Surefire or similar is perfect; also, some people get good results with a standard Mini-Maglight brand two-AA light with the cap completely unscrewed - the bulb is a teensy skinny little thing that can be crammed almost all the way back into the firing pin area...not quite, but close enough to throw a lot of light on the subject.

What you're looking for is that "circle in circle" thing, where one circle is the barrel (you'll see the rifling, can't miss it) and the other is the cylinder bore. If the latter is off to one side of the barrel bore but still within it, you're OK, but when there's part of the cylinder bore circle unseen behind the barrel bore edge, that's not good. Like so:

http://www.equalccw.com/timing.gif

In contrast, the classic Colt DA mechanism as found in the Python and others puts a LOT of pressure on the cylinder upwards through that protrusion (at full lockup). This freezes the cylinder "dead in it's tracks". When the alignment is
PERFECT, accuracy is great...but the GP100 will keep it's current level of accuracy (which ain't bad) through at least 4 times the shooting volume of a Python and probably more, while the Python needs frequent re-timing by a master Coltsmith.

In other words, if you're headed into the woods or mean streets, and you need to count on the gun, and can make do with 1.5" to 2" groups at 25yds versus 1" at 50 yards for some Pythons, the Ruger is the way to go.

Now, if the slop factor keeps growing, something's wrong. Maybe a bad heat treat on one of the parts such as the locking lug, and it's slowly wearing away. Dunno. Keep your eye on it for a while, re-check the timing once in a while, see if she settles down to an acceptable state.

Hope this helps.

Full lockup on the timing test.

Here's the deal: not all DA designs will require full lockup to do a check. Most will, I think. But most of all, having the gun in the full lockup state will NEVER harm the accuracy of the test, and might help.

You follow me? I'm not 100% certain the Ruger GP100 needs to be at full lockup to check timing and cylinder play.
I *think* so. My Charter Arms Undercover does, and that's a distantly related design (the Charter was designed by a former Ruger engineer).

It's not hard to hold a wheelgun at full lockup with one hand while looking down the barrel and shining a light at the rear of the cylinder with the other. Your gun's cylinder may or may not experience a tightening of the cylinder
in full lockup versus not. It'll depend on the gun.

To be honest, I only learned that some DAs don't tighten the cylinder at full lockup recently, more recently than the start of the thread back on THR. I haven't made a correction on the subject, because the same instructions
still work either way :).
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jim
March 12, 2004, 12:48 AM
We agree on the "wrist snap close" on a standard DA - warps the crane to hell and gone.

But I've handled a LOT of good revolvers with zero detectable endshake, and own one currently. Endshake is NOT needed to prevent rounds scraping on the recoil shield. There should be as little endshake as possible, preferrably none (esp. at the "full lockup point" with trigger held back).

Endshake causes the cylinder to act as a battering ram in both directions on the slightly softer frame metal. You don't want any. A well-made modern gun can survive a small amount of endshake for a long time, but once it gets bad (esp. past .002") it'll get worse all too quickly with hot loads.

As to gap: depending on the powder used, .002" can be just fine. It works great on 38snubbies; most 38 powder seems to burn fine enough to prevent problems until at least 40 or 50 rounds are fired, at which point you have to do a quick wipe on the cylinder face and rear of the barrel with a rag. This very minor inconvenience is worth it for the velocity boost a small gap gives you. This may not be the case with heavier calibers and slower-burn powder, where .003" or .004" may be optimum.

The gap can be increased via a gentle touch with a knife-sharpening stone on the back of the barrel. If test-firing shows a tight gap is "gunking up" on the powder crud from your loads, don't send it back - tune it to what you need. The factory might set to "spec" which can be as high as .009" :barf:.

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim
April 17, 2004, 04:17 PM
Yes, you're right, that "cylinder throat" is tapering to a constriction.

And yes, this check is a good idea, except make sure it's a BULLET (projectile alone) and not loaded ammo. And show the gun dealer the slug in your open palm and show him how gently you're doing this.

The absolute fastest way to panic a gun dealer is to make him think you're about to LOAD the store's gun you're looking at. If he thinks that's what's up, he WILL draw down on you. Immediately. And he may pull the trigger.

"Mr. Dealer, I'm going to gently check the cylinder throat diameters with this jacketed slug sitting on my open palm right here..."

Do this without warning him, and if all he sees is the tip of your slug in your fingers, he may think it's a loaded round.

OK?

(Jacketed is best, hardcast lead OK if that's all you have. Soft lead will deform too easily.)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim
September 19, 2004, 08:19 PM
Topstrap erosion is definately worth talking about.

It ruins the value of a collector gun, period.

On a "shooter", a little bit can be tolerable. It's not uncommon for the process to start, and in the process flame-harden the metal and then it stops before it's a "structural issue".

So, a little can sometimes be tolerated if the gun is otherwise sound.

It's usually linked to a large cylinder-to-barrel gap though...which isn't good either. It can be caused by running lightweight bullets at crazy speeds with fast-burn powder in a Magnum of some sort. Ruger's 357Maximum was recalled, which in my opinion wasn't right: as long as you use 158 or heavier slugs it was fine, but too many idiots went "hey, we can run 125JHPs at 2,000+!!!" and really screwed the guns up.

Personally, if the erosion equalled more than 5% of the total cross-section area of the topstrap, I'd be very concerned.
At 10% I'll flat-out say "don't buy" and many would put that "don't buy" level lower. Depends on the gun though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
old fur
November 17, 2005, 10:29 PM
You have to do some of the tests with the revolver in "full lock-up." This is more important with Colt's them Smith & Wesson's, but Jim was trying to cover all of the different makes.

You can cock the hammer, hold the trigger fully rearward (which releases the hammer) and then fully lower the hammer with your thumb so that it is all of the way down in the firing position. Then while holding the trigger back perform each of the tests requiring the revolver to be at "full lock-up."

Of if it would be any easier, cock the hammer, hold back the trigger, lower the hammer (as described above) and then do one test and when finished, release the trigger and let it go forward. When you are ready to do the next "full lock-up" test, again cock the hammer and repeat the process I described in the second paragraph in this post. Repeat this procedure as you do each test.

Those tests that require the gun to be in "full lock-up" are noted in the text. In tests where this is not specified you can let the trigger be forward because "full lock-up" is not required.

Mainly, the tests that require "full lock-up" do so because you are testing how much play (rotational and back & forth) the cylinder has when it fires a cartridge; or how well the chambers line up with the barrel. Usually gunsmiths use a tool, called a "range rod" to check chamber/barrel alignment, but since very few gun buyers have such a tool, Jim has proposed a system where you backlight the chamber with a flashlight and then look down the bore for a shadow that would indicate a misalignment.

Other tests determine if the cylinder is rotating like it should, and if it locks-up when it's supposed to.

Once you have practiced all of this it becomes very easy, but the first time around just take your time, and do each test individually. There is no reason for you to be in a hurry.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

zinj
September 11, 2008, 02:10 AM
I think the first post really needs to have a check for "carrying up" added; as it is currently written this important test isn't obvious to a neophyte. To check for "carry up" one needs to cock the hammer as slowly as reasonably possible and listen to the cylinder stop falling into the notch cut into the cylinder. If it doesn't click before full cock the gun is not carrying up and will need some gunsmithing (and not the kitchen table kind). On DA revolvers the shooter should ideally also try pulling the trigger as slowly as possible (not the easiest task) and determine that cylinder clicks into lock before the hammer is dropped.
Note that this test must be performed on ALL cylinders!

For those not in the know, a revolver in proper working order locks the cylinder into alignment before the hammer falls, otherwise you get nasty effects like lead spitting. This is called "carrying up." The revolver's spinning action is accomplished by the action on a piece of metal often called a "hand" upon a series of notches cut in the back of the cylinder (usually on the ejector star on DAs). Failures to carry up are caused by wear on either the hand or notches that reduce the range of motion produced by the cocking action. As said before, this causes the hammer to drop before the cylinder is locked, essentially
causing a form of "out of battery" fire.

The most important part of this test is that the gun must be cocked VERY SLOWLY. If the gun is cocked at even a moderate speed the inertia of the spinning cylinder will continue to carry it into battery even though the hand has not travelled far enough to push it into lockup on its own. Some people dismiss the importance of this, but this is condition that gets progressively worse with more shooting. It WILL eventually need to be fixed, so it is better to catch it early and know what you are getting into.

EDIT: I see that someone else brought this up, but it was buried on page 5 of this thread. I really do think this information needs to be in the first post, not 80+ posts in.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Re: Inspecting a used revolver?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjoUmWQKgE

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In regard to:

I copied this down some years back and use these tips when considering a revolver-

Begin:
This thread covers how to pick out a new or used revolver at the gun shop/gun show table without firing it, safely. While I started it and provided a lot of the instructions, others helped fine-tune it and there is other good info throughout the thread:

Downloadable PDF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Fh3F6hufhDMWZiNjBkMWItZDhkNS00MTlhLWE4YzMtOTdmN2YwNmY4NzM2/view

This thread may have been the most useful ever posted on the TFL revolver forum, and I'm very pleased to have started it.

Now it won't die.

By Jim March

So you're buying a revolver. New, used, doesn't matter, you want a good one, right? How do check one over without firing it, right at the dealer's counter or gun show table? This is how. All of this works with DA or SA wheelguns..."close the action" on most DAs means swing the cylinder in, on SA types, close the loading gate, on break opens, close 'em. UNLOADED.

WARNING: most of these tests require violation of the "finger off trigger" rule. Therefore, be extremely careful about safe muzzle direction and making sure the gun is unloaded ahead of time, PERSONALLY, as you begin handling it.

Note: bring a small flashlight, something small and concentrated. A Photon or similar high-powered LED light is perfect. You also want feeler gauges if you're not used to eyeballing cylinder gaps; at a minimum, bring a .002", .004" and .006".

Note 2: no dry firing is required or desired at any point. It just pisses off the gun's current owner.

Cylinder play

2) Thumb the hammer back, and while pulling the trigger, gently lower the hammer all the way down while keeping the trigger back - and KEEP holding the trigger once the hammer is down. (You've now put the gun in "full lockup" - keep  it there for this and most other tests.)

3) With the trigger still back all the way, check for cylinder wiggle. Front/back is particularly undesirable; a bit of side to side is OK but it's a bad thing if you can wiggle it one way, let go, and then spin it the other way a fraction of an inch and it stays there too. At the very least, it should "want" to stop in just one place (later, we'll see if that place is any good).

Cylinder gap

4) Still holding the trigger at full lockup, look sideways through the barrel/cylinder gap. If you can get a credit card  in there, that ain't good...velocity drops rapidly as the gap increases. Too tight isn't good either, because burnt powder crud will "fill the gap" and start making the cylinder spin funky. My personal .38 snubbie is set at .002, usually considered  the minimum...after about 40 shots at the range, I have to give the front of the cylinder a quick wipe so it spins free again.
I consider that a reasonable tradeoff for the increased velocity because in a real fight, I ain't gonna crank 40 rounds out of a 5-shot snub.

If you're eyeballing it, you'll have to hold it up sideways against an overhead light source.

SAFETY WARNING: This step in particular is where you MUST watch your muzzle direction. Look, part of what's  happening here is that you're convincing the seller you know your poop . It helps the haggling process. If you do anything unsafe, that impression comes completely unglued.

Timing

5) You really, REALLY want an unloaded gun for this one. This is where the light comes in. With the gun STILL held  in full lockup, trigger back after lowering the hammer by thumb, you want to shine a light right into the area at the rear of the cylinder near the firing pin. You then look down the barrel . You're looking to make sure the cylinder bore lines up with the barrel. Check every cylinder - that means putting the gun in full lockup for each cylinder before lighting it up.

You're looking for the cylinder and barrel holes to line up perfectly, it's easy to eyeball if there's even a faint light  source at the very rear of both bores. And with no rounds present, it's generally easy to get some light in past where the rims would be.

Bore

(We're finally done with that "full lockup" crap, so rest your trigger finger. )
6) Swing the cylinder open, or with most SAs pull the cylinder. Use the small flashlight to scope the bore out.
This part's easy - you want to avoid pitting, worn-out rifling, bulges of any sort. You want more light on the subject than just what creeps in from the rear of the cylinder on the timing check.

You also want to check each cylinder bore, in this case with the light coming in from the FRONT of each hole, you looking in from the back where the primers would be. You're looking for wear at the "restrictions" at the front of each cylinder bore. That's the "forcing cone" area and it can wear rapidly with some Magnum loads. (Special thanks to Salvo below for this bit!)

Trigger

7) To test a trigger without dry-firing it, use a plastic pen in front of the hammer to "catch" it with the off hand, especially if it's a "firing pin on the hammer" type. Or see if the seller has any snap-caps, that's the best solution. Flat-faced hammers as found in transfer-bar guns (Ruger, etc) can be caught with the off-hand without too much pain .

SA triggers (or of course a DA with the hammer cocked) should feel "like a glass rod breaking". A tiny amount of take-up slack  is tolerable, and is common on anything with a transfer bar or hammer block safety.

DA triggers are subjective. Some people like a dead-smooth feel from beginning of stroke to the end, with no "warning" that it's about to fire. Others (myself included) actually prefer a slight "hitch" right at the end, so we know when it's about to go. With that sort of trigger, you can actually "hold it" right at the "about to fire" point and do a short light stroke from there that rivals an SA shot for accuracy. Takes a lot of practice though. Either way, you don't want "grinding" through the length of the stroke, and the final stack-up at the end (if any) shouldn't be overly pronounced.

8) OK, so it's got a rock-solid cylinder, a .002" or .003" gap, and the trigger feels great. Odds are vastly in favor of it being tuned after leaving the factory.

Look at the screws. Ideally, they should be untouched, meaning that the gun has not been messed with. If the screw heads are battered and worn, it means the sideplate has been off, probably many times. A gun like that may have a smooth trigger, but the parts may have been polished out of time or (if a S&W) the case hardening cut through so the parts will wear out rapidly.
Many guns subjected to amateur gunsmithing turn up on the used gun market when the guy realizes he has messed up.

Next, cock it, then grab the hammer and "wiggle it around" a bit. Not too hard, don't bang on it, but give it a bit of up/down, left/right and circular action with finger off trigger and WATCH your muzzle direction.

You don't want that hammer slipping off an overly polished sear. You REALLY don't want that . It can be fixed by installing factory parts but that'll take modest money (more for installation than hardware costs) and it'll be big time unsafe until you do.

The other thing that commonly goes wrong is somebody will trim the spring, especially coil springs. You can spot that if you pull the grip panels, see if the spring was trimmed with wire cutters. If they get too wild with it, you'll get ignition failures on harder primers. But the good news is, replacement factory or Wolf springs are cheap both to buy and have installed.

There's also the legal problems Ayoob frequently describes regarding light triggers. If that's a concern, you can either swap back to stock springs, or since you bought it used there's no way to prove you knew it was modified at all .

In perspective:
Timing (test #5) is very critical...if that's off, the gun may not even be safe to test-fire. And naturally, a crappy barrel means a relatively pricey fix.

Cylinder gap is particularly critical on short-barreled and/or marginal caliber guns. If you need every possible ounce of energy, a tight gap helps. Some factory gaps will run as high as .006"; Taurus considers .007" "still in spec" (sigh).
You'll be hard-pressed to find any new pieces under .004" - probably because the makers realize some people don't  clean 'em often (or very well) and might complain about the cylinder binding up if they sell 'em at .002".

The guns in a dealer's "used pile" are often of unknown origin, from estate sales or whatever. Dealers don't have time to check every piece, and often don't know their history. These tests, especially cylinder gap and play, can spot a gun that's  been sent off for professional tuning...like my snubbie, the best $180 I ever spent .

As long as the gun is otherwise sound (no cracks, etc) a gunsmith can fix any of this. So these tests can help you pick a particularly good new specimen, or find a good used gun, or help haggle the price down on something that'll need a bit of work.

from Jim March and re-published with permission and has had minor changes from the original post based on additional information contributed by others in that discussion thread. You can find Jim online at http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/

Replies:

One should really bring a cast bullet to drop down all the chambers to check to see if they are over-sized.

Over-sized charge holes can result in everything from poor accuracy to key-holing. Not good. And you can't fix it short of replacing the entire cylinder!

If the chambers are correctly sized a cast bullet (not loaded round) of the appropriate size will NOT fall free of the charge holes when dropped in.

Example: for .357/.38 a .358 cast bullet should be used. For .45 a .452 cast bullet is fine.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No, once the gun is in "full lockup", you do NOT have to pull the hammer back again! At "full lockup" (and only one hand on the gun), you've got the gun in the same mechanical state it's going to be in when it goes "boom", which is the whole point - you then make 4 sure the barrel and cylinder bore are lined up.

You can do that two ways: use your other hand to shine the light into the rear of the cylinder area and hope you get enough in that it can be seen looking down the bore (in other words, use either a very concentrated or very potent light) OR if that won't work (such as a long-barreled 22 or 17 caliber), use the "rod method" - stick an aluminum or brass cleaning rod down the barrel and into the cylinder, and then on the way out gently "scrape" the interface between cylinder and barrel with the tip of the rod and make sure the "drop" is the same on both sides, by feel. This is surprisingly accurate - if the two sides are off any significant distance from each other, you'll catch it. Not quite as accurate as the light method though.

If it's an old recessed-chamber S&W magnum or some of the 22s with recessed chambers, you're not going to have a lot of room for light to get into the rear of the cylinder area. Ditto a Freedom Arms. A Surefire or other "megalight" may be necessary for that technique. It's worth the effort, as the light will be the most accurate way of doing the "circle in circle alignment" of cylinder bore/barrel.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
boots
3) With the trigger still back all the way, check for cylinder wiggle. Front/back is particularly undesirable; a bit of side to side is OK but it's a bad thing if you can wiggle it one way, let go, and then spin it the other way a fraction of an inch and it stays there too. At the very least, it should "want" to stop in just one place (later, we'll see if that place is any good). The ultimate is a "welded to the frame" feeling.

i ask, because i have a full underlug gp100(new when i got it) that has only seen about 100(rounds) 38spl, and 100(rounds) 357 mag. it is relatively new, and cosmetically, it is perfect. one thing about this gun was the horrible trigger pull. the solution? dry fire away, you won't hurt your ruger gp100. built like a tank... however, after about approximately 200 of the aforementioned rounds, and countless dry fires(without dummy rounds, the manual does not state that they are needed), the trigger pull is slightly better, but the side to side wiggle is pretty bad (approx 1/64 of an inch).

endshake is almost none. it shoots good. accurate out to 25 yards(at least). i classify the side to side movemnt as bad ,not arbitrariliy, but based on comparisons with my half lug 3" gp100. the endshake and side movement is non existant on my half lug. the half lug also shoots great. what i want to know is, how bad is it really to dry fire, even when the manual states that it will not harm the gun. because it seems that the dry firing has caused this side to side movement. actually, the side to side movement is less than 1/64 of an inch.

please, someone tell me to relax, and if it breaks, ruger has great customer service, and 99% chance that the side to side movement is inconsequential and only seems bad because i am extra critical with my pieces, and i should quit being so neurotic about my guns. please help.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

jim

'Kay, I'm kinda guessing here, but what I *think* happened was, the dry-firing didn't "damage it" so much as "deburred it" in one or two key places.

On the cylinder are six little "key holes" we'll call 'em. In the frame, poking up from underneath, is the "locking lug", a protruding piece of metal that's designed to fit into those "key holes". Swing the cylinder out and you'll see it clearly.

When the gun is at "full lockup", with most DA designs that protruding piece is "jammed up into a key hole tight", locking the cylinder in place for firing.

I suspect that either the key holes or the protruding bit, or both, had minor burrs that were effectively tightening the action.

If so, the loosening will STOP at around where it is now. It bears watching, but if it's stays where it's at and the gun shoots fine, no problem. The Ruger DAs are meant to have slightly loose cylinders, they align themselves at the moment of firing.

What to do: check the timing. Use the "light at the rear" method, and if all six cylinder bores are lining up well with the barrel it is *definately* safe to shoot and if it's grouping OK, congrats: you have a normal GP100.

If this is a 6" barrel, the "light at the rear" method works, but you need a LOT of light or something super-concentrated. A Surefire or similar is perfect; also, some people get good results with a standard Mini-Maglight brand two-AA light with the cap completely unscrewed - the bulb is a teensy skinny little thing that can be crammed almost all the way back into the firing pin area...not quite, but close enough to throw a lot of light on the subject.

What you're looking for is that "circle in circle" thing, where one circle is the barrel (you'll see the rifling, can't miss it) and the other is the cylinder bore. If the latter is off to one side of the barrel bore but still within it, you're OK, but when there's part of the cylinder bore circle unseen behind the barrel bore edge, that's not good. Like so:

In contrast, the classic Colt DA mechanism as found in the Python and others puts a LOT of pressure on the cylinder upwards through that protrusion (at full lockup). This freezes the cylinder "dead in it's tracks". When the alignment is
PERFECT, accuracy is great...but the GP100 will keep it's current level of accuracy (which ain't bad) through at least 4 times the shooting volume of a Python and probably more, while the Python needs frequent re-timing by a master Coltsmith.

In other words, if you're headed into the woods or mean streets, and you need to count on the gun, and can make do with 1.5" to 2" groups at 25yds versus 1" at 50 yards for some Pythons, the Ruger is the way to go.

Now, if the slop factor keeps growing, something's wrong. Maybe a bad heat treat on one of the parts such as the locking lug, and it's slowly wearing away. Dunno. Keep your eye on it for a while, re-check the timing once in a while, see if she settles down to an acceptable state.

Hope this helps.

Here's the deal: not all DA designs will require full lockup to do a check. Most will, I think. But most of all, having the gun in the full lockup state will NEVER harm the accuracy of the test, and might help.

You follow me? I'm not 100% certain the Ruger GP100 needs to be at full lockup to check timing and cylinder play.
I *think* so. My Charter Arms Undercover does, and that's a distantly related design (the Charter was designed by a former Ruger engineer).

It's not hard to hold a wheelgun at full lockup with one hand while looking down the barrel and shining a light at the rear of the cylinder with the other. Your gun's cylinder may or may not experience a tightening of the cylinder

To be honest, I only learned that some DAs don't tighten the cylinder at full lockup recently, more recently than the start of the thread back on THR. I haven't made a correction on the subject, because the same instructions
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jim
We agree on the "wrist snap close" on a standard DA - warps the crane to hell and gone.

But I've handled a LOT of good revolvers with zero detectable endshake, and own one currently. Endshake is NOT needed to prevent rounds scraping on the recoil shield. There should be as little endshake as possible, preferrably none (esp. at the "full lockup point" with trigger held back).

Endshake causes the cylinder to act as a battering ram in both directions on the slightly softer frame metal. You don't want any. A well-made modern gun can survive a small amount of endshake for a long time, but once it gets bad (esp. past .002") it'll get worse all too quickly with hot loads.

As to gap: depending on the powder used, .002" can be just fine. It works great on 38snubbies; most 38 powder seems to burn fine enough to prevent problems until at least 40 or 50 rounds are fired, at which point you have to do a quick wipe on the cylinder face and rear of the barrel with a rag. This very minor inconvenience is worth it for the velocity boost a small gap gives you. This may not be the case with heavier calibers and slower-burn powder, where .003" or .004" may be optimum.

The gap can be increased via a gentle touch with a knife-sharpening stone on the back of the barrel. If test-firing shows a tight gap is "gunking up" on the powder crud from your loads, don't send it back - tune it to what you need. The factory might set to "spec" which can be as high as .009" :barf:.

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim

And yes, this check is a good idea, except make sure it's a BULLET (projectile alone) and not loaded ammo. And show the gun dealer the slug in your open palm and show him how gently you're doing this.

The absolute fastest way to panic a gun dealer is to make him think you're about to LOAD the store's gun you're looking at. If he thinks that's what's up, he WILL draw down on you. Immediately. And he may pull the trigger.

"Mr. Dealer, I'm going to gently check the cylinder throat diameters with this jacketed slug sitting on my open palm right here..."

Do this without warning him, and if all he sees is the tip of your slug in your fingers, he may think it's a loaded round.

OK?

(Jacketed is best, hardcast lead OK if that's all you have. Soft lead will deform too easily.)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim

On a "shooter", a little bit can be tolerable. It's not uncommon for the process to start, and in the process flame-harden the metal and then it stops before it's a "structural issue".

It's usually linked to a large cylinder-to-barrel gap though...which isn't good either. It can be caused by running lightweight bullets at crazy speeds with fast-burn powder in a Magnum of some sort. Ruger's 357Maximum was recalled, which in my opinion wasn't right: as long as you use 158 or heavier slugs it was fine, but too many idiots went "hey, we can run 125JHPs at 2,000+!!!" and really screwed the guns up.

Personally, if the erosion equalled more than 5% of the total cross-section area of the topstrap, I'd be very concerned.
At 10% I'll flat-out say "don't buy" and many would put that "don't buy" level lower. Depends on the gun though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
old fur
You have to do some of the tests with the revolver in "full lock-up." This is more important with Colt's them Smith & Wesson's, but Jim was trying to cover all of the different makes.

You can cock the hammer, hold the trigger fully rearward (which releases the hammer) and then fully lower the hammer with your thumb so that it is all of the way down in the firing position. Then while holding the trigger back perform each of the tests requiring the revolver to be at "full lock-up."

Of if it would be any easier, cock the hammer, hold back the trigger, lower the hammer (as described above) and then do one test and when finished, release the trigger and let it go forward. When you are ready to do the next "full lock-up" test, again cock the hammer and repeat the process I described in the second paragraph in this post. Repeat this procedure as you do each test.

Those tests that require the gun to be in "full lock-up" are noted in the text. In tests where this is not specified you can let the trigger be forward because "full lock-up" is not required.

Mainly, the tests that require "full lock-up" do so because you are testing how much play (rotational and back & forth) the cylinder has when it fires a cartridge; or how well the chambers line up with the barrel. Usually gunsmiths use a tool, called a "range rod" to check chamber/barrel alignment, but since very few gun buyers have such a tool, Jim has proposed a system where you backlight the chamber with a flashlight and then look down the bore for a shadow that would indicate a misalignment.

Other tests determine if the cylinder is rotating like it should, and if it locks-up when it's supposed to.

Once you have practiced all of this it becomes very easy, but the first time around just take your time, and do each test individually. There is no reason for you to be in a hurry.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

zinj
I think the first post really needs to have a check for "carrying up" added; as it is currently written this important test isn't obvious to a neophyte. To check for "carry up" one needs to cock the hammer as slowly as reasonably possible and listen to the cylinder stop falling into the notch cut into the cylinder. If it doesn't click before full cock the gun is not carrying up and will need some gunsmithing (and not the kitchen table kind). On DA revolvers the shooter should ideally also try pulling the trigger as slowly as possible (not the easiest task) and determine that cylinder clicks into lock before the hammer is dropped.

For those not in the know, a revolver in proper working order locks the cylinder into alignment before the hammer falls, otherwise you get nasty effects like lead spitting. This is called "carrying up." The revolver's spinning action is accomplished by the action on a piece of metal often called a "hand" upon a series of notches cut in the back of the cylinder (usually on the ejector star on DAs). Failures to carry up are caused by wear on either the hand or notches that reduce the range of motion produced by the cocking action. As said before, this causes the hammer to drop before the cylinder is locked, essentially

The most important part of this test is that the gun must be cocked VERY SLOWLY. If the gun is cocked at even a moderate speed the inertia of the spinning cylinder will continue to carry it into battery even though the hand has not travelled far enough to push it into lockup on its own. Some people dismiss the importance of this, but this is condition that gets progressively worse with more shooting. It WILL eventually need to be fixed, so it is better to catch it early and know what you are getting into.

EDIT: I see that someone else brought this up, but it was buried on page 5 of this thread. I really do think this information needs to be in the first post, not 80+ posts in.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In regard to:

Quoted:

............If you do decide to spring some serious $$$ for one of these, PLEASE have someone who knows what they're doing look the gun over first before you part with your hard-earned $$. Some sellers will not mention mechanical defects to a buyer that doesn't know what to look for........

Begin:

Downloadable PDF:

Now it won't die.

By Jim March

Cylinder play

Cylinder gap

Timing

Bore

Trigger

In perspective:

Replies:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
boots

xxxxxxxxxxxx

jim

Hope this helps.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jim

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim

OK?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
old fur

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

zinj

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some good info but some so so also.

Between the big 3, the only one that will lock up solid is the Colt. If you are expecting a S&W to do it, you'll never buy one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#32]
That is one hell of a gun.

Congrats OP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I picked-up this decent 1974 6" S&W 17-3 today in a trade deal. Target stocks, hammer, and trigger.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/17_004__2__JPG-1788064.JPG

LOL.....It looks a lot better than my well worn 17 no-dash that was the "community revolver" in a South American embassy.

Still and all the old 17 shoots very well but it just has the normal hammer/trigger. The OEM stocks were so worn I had to replace them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/17a_001__2__JPG-1788077.JPG
View Quote

How old is the community model?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

1960s
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

1960s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1960s

The 60's was a great time for revolvers. Better materials but also we still had a lot of skilled machinists and factory workers and the economics of the 70's hadn't reared it's ugly head yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I traded a spare Model 36 square-butt for it.
View Quote

I’ve been of the opinion that maintaining two currency streams, one each of classic S&W’s and one of Glocks, will allow you to trade into nearly anything. I need to get back to that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top