Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 9:21:51 PM EDT
So here is the story.  A friend of mine's dad passed away and he knew I was a guitar player.  Said he had his dad's Fender amp and wondered what I thought.  At this point I had no idea what he had so he said he would send me some pics.  Lo and behold it appears to be a 1966 Super in museum condition.  I haven't seen it in person yet but his pics show a mint Super with all original tubes, transformers, footswitch and even the original cover.  Wow!  Looks like original CTS speakers from the pictures.  I want to help him move it as he doesn't have any use for it.  I would love to have it but don't think I want to shell out the money it is probably worth.  My question is this.  Should he have it re-capped to sell so it is in good to go condition or should he leave it as totally original and leave that up to a prospective buyer.  I am sure the caps are probably shot.  Not to mention the death cap. He is a good friend and I want him to get the best price possible for this prime piece.  Just not sure how to approach this one.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any idea of the value, but I'd sell it as all original (with full disclosure about it likely needing new caps), and let the new owner worry about it.

Some people want all original, and will shy away from any modifications, even if they are necessary.

Edit:  Of course, I could be wrong.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 1966 Super Reverb I kept 100% original wrapped in plastic for over 25 years. Long story short I never wanted to use it with the original caps.

Had all new power caps and some of the filter caps replaced. New TAD German power tubes and rectifier, had the amp biased. Kept original preamp tubes in it that tested good.

OMG it’s the most amazing sounding amp I own, zero hum or crackling knobs. Just 3D sounding, beautiful sounding, and worth every penny spent on tech work.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have any idea of the value, but I'd sell it as all original (with full disclosure about it likely needing new caps), and let the new owner worry about it.

Some people want all original, and will shy away from any modifications, even if they are necessary.

Edit:  Of course, I could be wrong.....
View Quote

Hey.  Thanks for the reply.  That is the way I am leaning.  I think anyone who would be willing to pony up the money for this would completely understand what might be involved.  Of course we would provide full disclosure.  I think if I was a prospective buyer I would be more comfortable buying an unmolested original and having the tech of my choice do the work as needed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a 1966 Super Reverb I kept 100% original wrapped in plastic for over 25 years. Long story short I never wanted to use it with the original caps.

Had all new power caps and some of the filter caps replaced. New TAD German power tubes and rectifier, had the amp biased. Kept original preamp tubes in it that tested good.

OMG it’s the most amazing sounding amp I own, zero hum or crackling knobs. Just 3D sounding, beautiful sounding, and worth every penny spent on tech work.
https://i.imgur.com/kAs42W8.jpg

View Quote

Very, very nice!  I am in awe of your room.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If he turns it on with original electrolytic caps, a good chance that he will let the smoke out.
 And at that point, smoked transformers mean no longer original.
Caps are like tires, they need replacement. Keep original caps to sell with the amp.

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If he turns it on with original electrolytic caps, a good chance that he will let the smoke out.
 And at that point, smoked transformers mean no longer original.
Caps are like tires, they need replacement. Keep original caps to sell with the amp.
View Quote

Absolutely.  It's a catch 22.....keep it all original, but then the potential buyer doesn't get to try it out.  But, people in the know, will hopefully understand the situation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]
You can replace the filter caps and keep the old ones in a bag for the next owner.

If they want to, it's no hard task to put them back in, provided the person doing the job doesn't cut the leads.

Alternatively, you can bring the amp up slowly on a variac and re-form the originals. That could extend the life of them a bit.

There are plenty of 50's tweeds out there still using the original filter caps.

I don't think it's a good idea to go that route, but...
If it were me, I change the filters, and install a 3 prong cord and clip the death cap. Bare minimum for a vintage amp.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Now that I think about it if I were the prospective buyer I would prefer to buy it as it is and have my preferred tech do the work.  I think I would feel better knowing who did the work.  Now if for some reason I end up with the amp I would immediately have the caps replaced along with a 3 prong and the elimination of the death cap.  If I end up with it it is going to be used.  Not kept as a museum piece.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a June '66 Super Reverb, great amp.
Have a good tech go through it, save any original parts that get replaced. Are the CTS speakers alnico?
Not many better sounds in this world than a good Strat through a blackface Super Reverb!
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a June '66 Super Reverb, great amp.
Have a good tech go through it, save any original parts that get replaced. Are the CTS speakers alnico?
Not many better sounds in this world than a good Strat through a blackface Super Reverb!
View Quote

Not much of a speaker expert.  From the limited pics I have so far they are square magnets with what appears to be the blue Fender labels. They might not even be CTS.  That was my guess based on what I saw but again, I am no expert in that area.  Thoughts on what they might be?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not much of a speaker expert.  From the limited pics I have so far they are square magnets with what appears to be the blue Fender labels. They might not even be CTS.  That was my guess based on what I saw but again, I am no expert in that area.  Thoughts on what they might be?
View Quote

They do sound like CTS alnicos. Those are THE speakers for that amp IMHO, they sound great together.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone that plays vintage tube amps know caps go bad.  My old Marshalls have been recapped.  They are incredible

I would sell as is or recap it at a reputable amp repair place.  Save the originals.  Also....make sure any replacement caps are high quality.  

Your ears will appreciate it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#13]
It's only original once .
Find a serious buyer , and profit
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They do sound like CTS alnicos. Those are THE speakers for that amp IMHO, they sound great together.
View Quote

Just did a little research.  Looks like they are definitely CTS Alnicos in this Super based upon what I have seen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone that plays vintage tube amps know caps go bad.  My old Marshalls have been recapped.  They are incredible

I would sell as is or recap it at a reputable amp repair place.  Save the originals.  Also....make sure any replacement caps are high quality.  

Your ears will appreciate it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56774/5729C493-ABE2-4807-AB8C-198CAFC56BF9_jpe-1883526.JPG
View Quote

Yep.  I have had several older Marshalls re-capped.  My tech always gives me back the originals.  Nice looking Marshalls there in the right side of your photo.  I also spy an MV mod on the lower one.  What you got there?  I am a Marshall guy at heart.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just did a little research.  Looks like they are definitely CTS Alnicos in this Super based upon what I have seen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most from that era had them, and like I said, they're a great pairing!
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
don't recap sell as is (original)
nice amp
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I will try and get the few pics up that I have to this point.  Never posted pics on AR15com.  Never really had anything interesting to share.  Sit tight and I will see what I can figure out.  They were texted to me by the current owner.  I would like you guys to take a look.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#20]

That rectifier tube is a Mullard.  I didn't know Fender used any Mullards?  Owner pretty much assures me that these are original tubes.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#21]

That looks to be in great shape. There was one for sale at a local shop I was looking at last year and it was nowhere near that clean. I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That looks to be in great shape. There was one for sale at a local shop I was looking at last year and it was nowhere near that clean. I'm jealous.
View Quote

It's not mine.  It belongs to a friend of mine.  It was his late father's and I am trying to help him get rid of it.  He is not a guitar player and has no use for it.  I will try and help him move it for a fair price but I might buy it myself if we can come to terms.  I will not lowball him.  He is a good friend.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I would buy it to keep it close to family.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks to be in great shape. Any pics of the tube chart?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet.  Those were the owners pics.  I have to go over and see it for myself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me grab some cash, I'll go with you!
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#27]
(1) Do I understand that you're not going to turn it on and try it out?

(2) What is the ask? You can IM if you like.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
(1) Do I understand that you're not going to turn it on and try it out?

(2) What is the ask? You can IM if you like.
View Quote

I am not going to turn it on.  If I end up with it I will have my tech look it over first.  It has been sitting for some time and I don't want to take any chances.  If it ends up being sold I was just pondering whether to have it re-capped and ready to go or sell it completely unmolested.  If it is listed for sale I think I will advise my buddy to list "as is".  I think it would be worth more to a true collector.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#29]
You should have it serviced. Every serious buyer knows that caps are only good for about 15 years before being replaced. Knowing it hasn't been serviced would actually lower the value.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You should have it serviced. Every serious buyer knows that caps are only good for about 15 years before being replaced. Knowing it hasn't been serviced would actually lower the value.
View Quote

I agree.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top