Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2022 10:19:31 PM EDT
Y’all see this? Didn’t check GD….

“Flipped while waiting to depart”

182 flips at McCarran

Sparse on details, anybody know what kind of jet blasted him? Although it’s been very gusty…
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Very strong tail wind—whether natural or from jet exhaust—and stupid pilot not pushing yoke all the way forward. It could happen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like it was all wind!

Live video here in the Instagram story.

https://instagram.com/stories/vegasthinblueline/2821570113593236461?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If they have been getting hammered like we have in the northern part of the state I believe it. It's been crazy the last couple weeks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Certainly a cautionary tale.  The first minute of this video shows the incident.  You hear the controller announce that the wind was gusting to 30 kts.

Cessna 182 airplane FLIPS OVER at Las Vegas airport (full length video including airplane removal)

ETA: Right before the airplane flips you hear the tower tell someone else that the winds were 160 at 26 gusting to 30.  The pilot was turning to take off on runway 19.  From the orientation of the airplane when it upset, it seems like he would have had a quartering headwind.  30 kts gusts in a 182 are no joke, but I don't think I understand the mechanics of what happened.  Perhaps someone more knowledgable can enlighten me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It's actually easy to see what happened if you play the video full screen.

There's a honking right crosswind as the aircraft taxis up to the runway. The wind gets under the right wingtip and lifts the aircraft up so that now the left wingtip is scraping along the ground. The left wingtip dragging on the ground starts the aircraft around to the left, the wind gets under the tail and probably no amount of down elevator would save it at this point because the tail is substantially lifted up into the air with the aircraft over on its left wingtip. As the aircraft with its empennage high in the air comes more fully around to the left the ensuing tailwind finishes the job, and that's all she wrote!

It's a bit hard to tell from the video, but if I had to make a judgement it would appear that the controls are all neutralized, ailerons and elevator in a neutral position. This is wrong, of course. I don't know what they teach nowadays, but this dinosaur was taught "When taxiing, climb into the wind and dive away from the wind".

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top