Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2020 7:53:57 PM EDT
I am looking to purchase my first Rv. Requirements are 24-33ft, with a rear bedroom and bed over cab, and under $25k. What is everyone's thoughts on Ford E450/550 based with the 6.8l V10 vs GM C5500 based with the 8.1l V8? Long term reliability, power, cost of repairs?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Avoid the Ford e series with the 4 speed trans.

Of the 6 e450 chassis at work with that trans all are on there 3rd or 4th replacement in less than 200k miles. It's all stop and go city driving but doesn't give me good feelings about long term use in a personal vehicle.

The 6 speed seems to be holding up much better.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I have around 125 E series Ford buses in my fleet and just got rid of close to 20 C series GM buses.

The engines and transmissions have held up very well in all of them but the GM engines have a zero failure rate and about the same as the fords with the trans.

If you buy a ford make sure it is the v10 and not a v8. The 5.4 hates life in a big bus.

The GM buses I had all had solid front axles with king pins. PITA to change and didn't drive as well as the fords.

Probably 90% of the non maintenance repairs on these buses are wonky electrical and AC failures. Powertrain is pretty solid all the way around.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Convert the trans to quality synthetic fluid and add a cooler. I was in a Ford fleet with E chassis and when we did those two things we greatly reduced the amount of failures. Also Ford provides an add on filter for after a trans failure. Ford would prefer you replace the radiator due to the inability to completely remove all of the debris out of the old cooler due to the internal design of the cooler. I would drop the pan and service it as soon as you buy it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Have a f250 with the v10. I think it’s a great engine. I was even able to do the spark plugs without much issue. And it’s towed my 5,000lb camper all over.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If one comes up with a GM 6.0 Liter, I wouldn't be afraid of it.  The 6.0 liter GM gas engine is solid and close to the power of the 8.1.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have a f250 with the v10. I think it’s a great engine. I was even able to do the spark plugs without much issue. And it’s towed my 5,000lb camper all over.
View Quote

I haven’t had any problems with mine except for coil packs going bad I always keep two extras in the vehicle. They’re a quick swap except for the rear one on the passenger side
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I haven’t had any problems with mine except for coil packs going bad I always keep two extras in the vehicle. They’re a quick swap except for the rear one on the passenger side
View Quote

Had one go last fall, decided to just do all of them. Probably a good idea to carry spares.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Had one go last fall, decided to just do all of them. Probably a good idea to carry spares.
View Quote

I had one go bad so I just did that one. 4 months later had 3 go bad while towing my trailer. Now all replaced and the ones that were still good and the correct socket for the hold down bolt travel in the excursion with me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I love Fords but 496 cubic inches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top