Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2020 10:02:45 AM EDT
We are creating a new database on a Windows 2019 datacenter server and they suggested getting Software Assurance.
This seems like a shit ton of money to spend on SQL. Our database it too big for going the free route but not sure Software Assurance is needed as we dont really need to upgrade for another four years I would think.

Anyone have any info on this?

1Microsoft SQL Server Standard Edition - License & Software Assurance - 1 Server - 1 Year Acquired Year 1, Additional Product - Microsoft Open Value - English - PC$500.72$500.72
90Microsoft SQL Server - License & Software Assurance - 1 User CAL - 1 Year Acquired Year 1, Additional Product - Microsoft Open Value - English - PC$116.51$10,485.90
SubTotal:$10,986.62
Sales Tax:$878.93
Total:$11,865.55
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

database it too big for going the free route
View Quote

Are you stating that your data load is too big for PostgreSQL to handle?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wswartzendruber:

Are you stating that your data load is too big for PostgreSQL to handle?
View Quote

The engineers installing our ERP use Microsoft products.

I am wondering why software assurance is so much and what are the benefits of it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Gotyour06:

The engineers installing our ERP use Microsoft products.
View Quote

Ah, so that's why you're picking Microsoft. Not because the data set is "too large" for something like PostgreSQL. (HINT: I very much doubt it is.)

As for software assurance, Microsoft is in the business these days of selling services. And that sounds like a service. Maybe it replaces something that used to exist but has been replaced.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably means its too large for the free SQL express version.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you getting that price from a webstore page?  I think if you called to discuss you would get some sort of volume discount.  Or find a local sales guy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Local guy and we said screw it and bought it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Hold on, are they charging you for 90 seats a year to... SQL Server?  That doesn't sound right.  What ERP are you using, and us that $11k reoccurring?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wswartzendruber:
As for software assurance, Microsoft is in the business these days of selling services. And that sounds like a service. Maybe it replaces something that used to exist but has been replaced.
View Quote

Software assurance allows you to upgrade to a new version if one is released during your three year term.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:
Hold on, are they charging you for 90 seats a year to... SQL Server?  That doesn't sound right.  What ERP are you using, and us that $11k reoccurring?
View Quote

Nope. That is right. You have to pay per socket for the server and then per authenticated user or for an anonymous connector.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Only 90 seats and buying a socket license I'd get a second opinion.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By gsiebrecht:
Only 90 seats and buying a socket license I'd get a second opinion.
View Quote

Maybe a third. Microsoft licenses are so crazy that everyone will have a different opinion of what you need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top