Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2022 1:08:46 PM EDT
so, I changed the job late last year... transferred all my 401K from my previous employer to the IRA and reinvested most of it in stocks, but left about 100K in cash for future dip buys.... no bonds at this time... I am thinking that the biggest dip is about a year ahead and wonder how can I protect this cash from inflation but have it liquid enough if possible... I am currently in tech and S&P indexes.... was thinking of getting some high dividend stocks when it tanks completely

any advice?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Ibonds

At least set up a treasury account now in case they deny access like they did mine.  Now I have to get some special stamp (not notary) for signature guarantee to access my account.  Fucking government bullshit.  They denied my access/account without saying why.

After the stamp, they will drag their feet at least two weeks before they allow access.

I am in the same boat, I cashed in company stonks before this dip and have cash sitting for a buy opportunity.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ibonds

At least set up a treasury account now in case they deny access like they did mine.  Now I have to get some special stamp (not notary) for signature guarantee to access my account.  Fucking government bullshit.  They denied my access/account without saying why.  

After the stamp, they will drag their feet at least two weeks before they allow access.

I am in the same boat, I cashed in company stonks before this dip and have cash sitting for a buy opportunity.
View Quote
doesn't look like liquid enough - have to wait for 1 year to sell.... and penalties for 5 years... anything a bit more liquid?  
Bond ETFs?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The discussion above is moot as you cannot purchase i bonds in an IRA.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
so, I changed the job late last year... transferred all my 401K from my previous employer to the IRA and reinvested most of it in stocks, but left about 100K in cash for future dip buys.... no bonds at this time... I am thinking that the biggest dip is about a year ahead and wonder how can I protect this cash from inflation but have it liquid enough if possible... I am currently in tech and S&P indexes.... was thinking of getting some high dividend stocks when it tanks completely

any advice?
View Quote

Lump sum $100,000 today into a total US stock, total international stock, and total bond market fund in your desired asset allocation. Hold until retirement. Profit.

The best way to beat inflation is to own stuff. The best way to own stuff is to buy shares of companies that own stuff.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The discussion above is moot as you cannot purchase i bonds in an IRA.
View Quote
Cash in a retirement account isn't the same as cash.  

I see what is going on now.

I usually buy Vanguard with the cash auto deposited in my IRA.  Chase also allow you to buy stonks now, so I have done a little of that too, along with Oxford Lane Capital stuff.  It pays a dividend.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lump sum $100,000 today into a total US stock, total international stock, and total bond market fund in your desired asset allocation. Hold until retirement. Profit.

The best way to beat inflation is to own stuff. The best way to own stuff is to buy shares of companies that own stuff.
View Quote

in general , yes, but current situation is an interesting one.  - I expect the market to crash more than the inflation rate within a year :)  even with 15% effective inflation rate, stocks might easily tank 30% in next year... so maybe not owning them now and having funds to pick them at a discount makes more sense....but would love to last least offset some inflation losses using some very conservative return and minimal risk while being able to cash out of that investment and go for stocks when time is right

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
You cannot come close to beating inflation without a significant amount of risk.

If you could, everyone would be talking about it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd split it between the index funds you already have.  Let prices return to ATH, however long that takes, then readjust.  The bottom may not be in, but I believe there are tons of discounts now.  If you don't think the bottom is in, take $10k nibbles you're chances of still having cash are good if it really dips.  I don't have the patience that you have, I would have already spent it if it were me, but I have horrible timing.  I spent all my cash on the February "dip".

Also, don't take my advice.  That's just what I would do.  No idea how old you are or how much you need that stable money.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ibonds

View Quote

A medallion? That should be pretty available to you. I do them as manager of a consumer bank branch. Our investment guys do them for their customers as well. It boils down to being a protection for them and you against unauthorized distributions.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd split it between the index funds you already have.  Let prices return to ATH, however long that takes, then readjust.  The bottom may not be in, but I believe there are tons of discounts now.  If you don't think the bottom is in, take $10k nibbles you're chances of still having cash are good if it really dips.  I don't have the patience that you have, I would have already spent it if it were me, but I have horrible timing.  I spent all my cash on the February "dip".

Also, don't take my advice.  That's just what I would do.  No idea how old you are or how much you need that stable money.
View Quote
I did spend some money in Feb... I am 51, and still have at least 10 years to go before retirement... yeah.  I might have to do the "nibble" approach or just wait for 3rd quarter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top