Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2022 5:54:12 PM EDT
Recipe is from one of my culinary school chefs. I made this a few times in school and the other night for company and it is so perfectly delicious and pretty much foolproof. Enjoy!

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spaghetti carbonara does not have cream... ever.  

Panchetta, 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg per pound of pasta.
Parmasean Regianno or Locatelli
pancetta or bacon
salt/pepper
garlic
olive oil.  

If you want to add peas, prociutto or whatever, that is fine, but cream is a cheat and not real carbonara.
View Quote

I knew I'd get a lecture from someone lol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Guanciale.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife uses a bit of parsley and some red pepper flakes.

Getting the right heat mix is critical from what I have seen when she is making it. Oh and never cream

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I spent most of my youth and many years of my adulthood working for a chef from Florence Italy and a graduate from the Culinary Institute of Florence.  I’ve made so much carbonara I can do it in my sleep. Lol.

Making with cream is a cheat.

Instead, reserve a cup of pasta water.   Mix the egg, salt pepper and some Parmesan mixture slowly with the hot drained pasta slowly so the eggs don’t turn to scrambled eggs.  As
You stir, add a bit more Parmesan and add some of the hot past ma water and stir/fold.  The cheese will become creamy as if you added cream.   But the flavor will be 1000 times better.
View Quote

Of course it's a cheat, they are teaching us how to make money lol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Peas?

Cream?

Garlic?

That's not carbonara.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With the price of cream, my recipe is cheaper. Lol
View Quote

I put this up because its foolproof and anyone can get a good result, you getting triggered is the real dish. Thank you for meeting my expectations, Chef.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I was fortunate enough to live in Italy many years ago and had carbonara many times.  My Dad gathered recipes from our favorite places in Lazio. Carbonara was one of the best. No cream, no peas. Mine is good but not in same league. Plenty of pepper

Gennaro Contaldo's is authentic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsg5H2TEQXs

Fortyseven2n
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Ick.  No.  

No garlic.
Pancetta is fine, but guanciale is better.
No cream. ??
Wrong cheese.
No peas. ??

Authentic spaghetti carbonara is made with just egg yolks, black pepper, pecorino and guanciale.

Quoted:

I love guanciale, but it is hard to find as it won’t be in most stores.  Pancetta or bacon is a good substitute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guanciale.

I love guanciale, but it is hard to find as it won’t be in most stores.  Pancetta or bacon is a good substitute.

Guanciale is literally the simplest charcuterie that you can cure and dry at home.  Most decent butchers can get you some fresh hog jowls.

Equilibrium cure fresh hog jowls with salt, Cure #2, sugar, and pepper.  Hang to dry in kitchen for a couple months until ~25-30% weight loss. No need for a humidity/temperature-controlled drying chamber - hog jowls have such a high fat-to-lean ratio that over-drying or case-hardening is rarely an issue.

Simple ingredients (weigh in grams for easier math):
Fresh, trimmed hog jowls (remove the glands) = 100%
2.25 % salt
0.25 % Cure no. 2
1.5 % sugar
.05 % cracked pepper
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not triggered. Lol.  

You can make Americanized Tuscan cuisine like everyone else or you can make it right.  There are variations  sure, but the real way is fast and easy and delivers authentic flavors.  

Food for thought.
View Quote

Do you really think they didnt teach us the "right"way?

If adding cream costs more, what makes it a cheat? Go ahead and tell the class, Karen.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, it makes it a bit easier because it cuts out a step that generates the creamy effect without the cream.
View Quote

Well sounds like we understand each other then, fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I spent most of my youth and many years of my adulthood working for a chef from Florence Italy and a graduate from the Culinary Institute of Florence.  I've made so much carbonara I can do it in my sleep. Lol.

Instead, reserve a cup of pasta water.   Mix the egg, salt pepper and some Parmesan mixture slowly with the hot drained pasta slowly so the eggs don't turn to scrambled eggs.  As
You stir, add a bit more Parmesan and add some of the hot past ma water and stir/fold.  The cheese will become creamy as if you added cream.   But the flavor will be 1000 times better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spaghetti carbonara does not have cream... ever.  

Panchetta, 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg per pound of pasta.
Parmasean Regianno or Locatelli
pancetta or bacon
salt/pepper
garlic
olive oil.  

If you want to add peas, prociutto or whatever, that is fine, but cream is a cheat and not real carbonara.

I knew I'd get a lecture from someone lol.

I spent most of my youth and many years of my adulthood working for a chef from Florence Italy and a graduate from the Culinary Institute of Florence.  I've made so much carbonara I can do it in my sleep. Lol.

Instead, reserve a cup of pasta water.   Mix the egg, salt pepper and some Parmesan mixture slowly with the hot drained pasta slowly so the eggs don't turn to scrambled eggs.  As
this is the way. the starch in the pasta water helps to bind the sauce to the pasta.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:48:34 AM EDT
[#19]
That just reads like a fucked up Alfredo recipe. Peas?? WTF?

Carbonara doesn't have cream. Or peas. Pancetta or bacon are acceptable alternatives for guanciale. And I think garlic makes carbonara better, even if it does piss off the purists. But that recipe ain't Carbonara.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I put this up because its foolproof and anyone can get a good result, you getting triggered is the real dish. Thank you for meeting my expectations, Chef.
View Quote

I think the problem here is that you advertised the content of the thread as "100% authentic spaghetti carbonara" and it isn't. Had you said "100% non-authentic spaghetti carbonara" and went on to explain that it was a cheat you learned in culinary school nobody would have said a thing. But you supposedly learned this in culinary school but didn't learn that the above recipe isn't authentic?

It raises questions and criticism when people project something as authentic when it isn't.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I don’t know from carbonara, I’m a cacio e pepe man myself.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think the problem here is that you advertised the content of the thread as "100% authentic spaghetti carbonara" and it isn't. Had you said "100% non-authentic spaghetti carbonara" and went on to explain that it was a cheat you learned in culinary school nobody would have said a thing. But you supposedly learned this in culinary school but didn't learn that the above recipe isn't authentic?

It raises questions and criticism when people project something as authentic when it isn't.
View Quote

I just changed the title this morning to further irritate the pasta police lol. There is no problem. Try the recipe, it's delicious.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I just changed the title this morning to further irritate the pasta police lol. There is no problem. Try the recipe, it's delicious.
View Quote

Oh, my bad...

So by your own admission you're trolling?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty tame ragebait.

What culinary school, is this a published recipe?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guanciale.

late to this thread but you can scoop some at Enzo's in Matthews.  They sell slices vacuum sealed.

i'm also a no-cream guy but might try Maine's version.  As I recall he just graduated culinary school.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Carbonara is a dish that I frequently rotate into the schedule.

The only ingredients you need are
- spaghetti, cooked in salted pasta water
- Cup of reserved pasta water
- eggs
- black pepper
- guanciale (I usually don't use this, I prefer thick cut "uncured" bacon with the fat drained since you can get that everywhere)
- Pecorino Romano cheese (plus minus Parmigiano reggiano).

Technique has already been listed above. But it seems a lot of folks are defaulting to parmesan, when pecorino romano is what really makes the dish. You can cut the pecorino maybe 2:1 with parmesan if the taste is too strong. I don't ever add extra salt because the pork, pasta water and the cheeses are already quite salty. Mixing the eggs, cheese and a little hot water in a separate bowl before adding to the noodles makes it easier not to end up with scrambled egg noodles. Between the bacon, the pecorino and the egg yolks you get a very strong and hearty *pow* that's missing in cream-based recipies.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol, OP calling those who know better than he “triggered”.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top