Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/7/2021 10:37:04 PM EDT
I'll soon be setting up a new planted 10 gallon aquarium. I've been thinking of a few fun ideas like making a "mini koi pond" and having a sorority of female koi bettas.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I've also thought about doing a pair or trio of a wild type betta, most likely betta imbellis.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

If I go with betta imbellis I'll use a dither fish, some sort of boraras to make them more comfortable so they don't constantly hide.

Attachment Attached File

I'm open to any other suggestions on something fun that would work in a 10 gallon aquarium, I can post pictures and document the setup and plant growth if there is any interest in that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always been partial to a set of schooling Cardinal Tetras.  So beautiful.

Think about the "layers" the fish will hang out in and that'll help you maximize the space.

Definitely toss in a java fern or two!
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Think about the "layers" the fish will hang out in and that'll help you maximize the space.

View Quote

My next project will probably be a 30 gallon tank and I was thinking of doing some sort of tetra in that, plus Corys on the bottom and maybe some hatchet fish. If I go the tetra route I'd want a big school and I'm limited in a 10 gallon. My goal is to grow a wall of pearlweed in the back of the tank, I have a beautiful piece of driftwood that I ordered and I'll going to cover it in anubias. For the foreground and midground I'm trying to make a lush dwarf sag carpet, then mix in some scarlet temple that should really pop with color against the pearlweed wall.

Eta: Narrow leaf Java fern is absolutely gorgeous and my favorite variety of fern Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My next project will probably be a 30 gallon tank and I was thinking of doing some sort of tetra in that, plus Corys on the bottom and maybe some hatchet fish. If I go the tetra route I'd want a big school and I'm limited in a 10 gallon. My goal is to grow a wall of pearlweed in the back of the tank, I have a beautiful piece of driftwood that I ordered and I'll going to cover it in anubias. For the foreground and midground I'm trying to make a lush dwarf sag carpet, then mix in some scarlet temple that should really pop with color against the pearlweed wall.

Eta: Narrow leaf Java fern is absolutely gorgeous and my favorite variety of fern https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/530668/s-l1600_7__61012_1559654228_jpg-1856860.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta: Narrow leaf Java fern is absolutely gorgeous and my favorite variety of fern https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/530668/s-l1600_7__61012_1559654228_jpg-1856860.JPG

So, do people ever just grow aquatic plants like that narrow leaf Java fern in their aquarium without putting any fish in it to spoil the view of the plants?

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So, do people ever just grow aquatic plants like that narrow leaf Java fern in their aquarium without putting any fish in it to spoil the view of the plants?

View Quote

Yes, or sometimes people have very large aquariums that are very lightly stocked with small fish. The fish become more of an accent piece for the plants.

It can be a beautiful piece of art, I wish I had this kind of talent. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, or sometimes people have very large aquariums that are very lightly stocked with small fish. The fish become more of an accent piece for the plants.

It can be a beautiful piece of art, I wish I had this kind of talent. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/530668/Aquascape-Aquarium_jpg-1856964.JPG
View Quote

I lived in Japan for 10+ years and the aquarium stores usually had magnificent displays. I'd love to do something like this.......

2017 Planted Tank Contest
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I lived in Japan for 10+ years and the aquarium stores usually had magnificent displays. I'd love to do something like this.......

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can be a beautiful piece of art, I wish I had this kind of talent. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/530668/Aquascape-Aquarium_jpg-1856964.JPG

The awesomeness of some (actually ‘all’) of those entries is just, awesome...

(And of course I envy anyone who has had the good fortune to have lived in Japan for a while.)

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The nice people at The USPS delivered my driftwood today. I'm very pleased with how much character it has.

Eta a picture Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you'd like an awful suggestion, a Hamburg mattenfilter is a fantastic filter for a betta tank. They're very slow and gentle, and are something around 2x turnover per hour. I'm really like the corner filters for a display tank. Check out Swiss Tropicals website. They have some great kits. A corner filter takes a bit of work to install(it's permanent), but they look like a corner overflow on a saltwater tank. Paint the back of the tank black, and the filter sorta disappears.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you'd like an awful suggestion, a Hamburg mattenfilter is a fantastic filter for a betta tank. They're very slow and gentle, and are something around 2x turnover per hour. I'm really like the corner filters for a display tank. Check out Swiss Tropicals website. They have some great kits. A corner filter takes a bit of work to install(it's permanent), but they look like a corner overflow on a saltwater tank. Paint the back of the tank black, and the filter sorta disappears.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion, I've got some black chalkboard paint to blackout the back of the aquarium . I usually use adjustable hang on back filters or sponge filters for betta tanks. I've got an extra aquaclear 20 that's been sitting around, I'll probably use that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Some pictures of aquatic life I currently keep.

Emerald Eye RasboraAttachment Attached File

Bamboo Shrimp
Attachment Attached File

I've pieced together must the equipment I need for my new aquarium project, you can see some of the plants I'm going to use in plastic cups in the first picture.

Ember Tetras and a Female Half-moonAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Update. I've planted the tank, the dragonstone is temporarily holding the driftwood down until it becomes waterlogged. There is pearlweed planted against the back wall but it needs a few weeks before it will grow tall enough to be a background plant. Attachment Attached File

I added cycled filter material to the filter and I'll feed it with pure ammonia to keep the beneficial bacteria alive until I add some inhabitants.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Aquariums with only cherry shrimp are fun.

(They are incompatible with fish).
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Aquariums with only cherry shrimp are fun.

(They are incompatible with fish).
View Quote

Checkout endlers and chili rasbora, cherry shrimp are bigger than the chili rasbora
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top