Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2021 10:51:10 AM EDT
My goofy little project. Mostly to build my soldering, scratch building and kit bashing chops and experiment at low cost.

Attachment Attached File

Wargame ships are usually compressed representations of ships. Primarily game pieces as opposed to replicas.

This ship is based, loosely, on USS Bennington.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

What order are scratch built ships usually put together?

Should planking the decks be done after superstructures are completed but not glued down? Masts last?

I'm bad about, "Dang, wish I'd have done that first."

Any Ship Architects (even Holiday Inn experts) welcome
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry I don't have advice, but this is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to cover the hull and bulkheads with styrene. Then use wooden stirrer sticks for deck planking.

Just not sure if I should put completed superstructure on top of the planking or plank around. I m thinking the latter, more work but better result.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd put planking around the superstructure, not under. Doesn't look like it'll be that much work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I decided too. I think I can cover any minor gaps between styrene sheet outer hull and Styrofoam base.

One thing I've learned. Every glue in the world melts foam except PVA. That means long wait times until it dries. Very frustrating, but it gives me plenty of time to plan ahead.

I m working on the forward superstructure outer bulkheads now. Hopefully some update pics soon.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Got some superstructure done.

I think I figured a workaround to my glue problem. I bought some gift wrap tissue paper. If I glue that over the Styrofoam it seems to keep CA glue from melting it. At least on my test piece it did.

I love $.99 problem solvers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Took a break on the ship while I banged out some Maxims, Hotchkiss 6 pdr QF and St. Chamoud 75mm gun.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Managed to get a little more done. Planked the poop deck. I worked the planks on a thin styrene template, then glued it to the ship. Learned a lot in the process.

Stuck the stack on and a structure, just aft, I call the "dog house". Not sure the nautical name but it has ported hatches for light and ventilation below.

Had to do some putty work on a few joints.

Next the fo'csle get decked, styrene added to the hull and a couple of gun sponsons amidships.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Planking-planking-planking-planking
Up and down the deck.

I wish I could say it was Zen and therapeutic.

Outer hull next. I think I'll put the sponsons on after. Still thinking on the anchor hawsepipes and mounts (billboards). Anchor Billboard pics are a rarity on Google so I may have to best guess it.

Then a few details. Dress up the flying bridge, add removable masts. USS Yorktown,below, was the class namesake. That drawing has the best overhead view to work with.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Got some more done. Had trouble with the top blocks. They kept splitting as I mortised them. Finally figured it out and got a couple done.

Tapered the Top & Main masts, made some cheeks and got a jib mounted on the Sternmast. Still working on the Foremast.

Stained them mahogany but I dont like the look. I'll see if I can paint them black or yellow ochre.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My anchors and wheel arrived today. Ive been holding off on the outer hull until the anchors arrived. Now I can start working on how they are stowed.

Attachment Attached File

Hopefully it will look better finished and painted. Right now it's kinda
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Finished a bit more. First coat of ochre on the superstructure. Repainted masts also.

Attachment Attached File

Working on possibly making some gunshields like below

Attachment Attached File

I don't like the look of them. I prefer the more modern trapezoidal type, but there they are.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Took a little break. Had some family stuff to deal with and had a rethink about the boat.

I tore up the planking and redid the masts. They looked out of scale and a bit stodgy. I thought o could do better.

Attachment Attached File

New decks are styrene corrugated roofing sheets.

Attachment Attached File

Masts are thinner and shorter. More simplified as the newer masts appear to be. Still need to attach the jib yards to finish them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#13]
About 90% done. Touch up and detail painting. A little putty sanding here and there.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close up of Bridge and anchors. Still need to paint the compass, engine telegraph and search light.

All made from bits of brass, copper, or styrene tubing. Washers for bases and wooden turned or carved bits. Except the wheel. Bought that with the anchors.

Attachment Attached File

Anchors were a little bit hard to figure out mounting. I need something that looked semi accurate but allowed room for figures and guns.

I made the bollards out of turned down dowels and scrap styrene. The chains were found at Hobby Lobby in the clearance section as a necklace ($.69).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Besides the guns I can mount Maxims if called for.

Attachment Attached File

I also need to do the gun shields. I made one out of brass but think ill use styrene for the actual mounts.

I learned a lot on this first attempt. My main goal.

Using a process and having it fail again and again was very frustrating but mental gaming it until I got the result I needed/wanted was great. Sometimes I'd be watching TV and jump up and go to the shop. Tinker with another brainstorm until it failed. Rethink the process and jump up again and hope for success.

Having put a lot of time into some stages (masts and decking) just to bin them was agonizing but I think it made for a better result.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Really nice work!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top