Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2020 5:45:28 PM EDT
A question that came up that I can't find an answer to. This is T-6 related in my case, but I'm guessing that the answer is not aircraft specific.

In .mil traffic pattern, when you are at the perch point and you roll into the turn to final to practice an overshooting final turn stall, do you initially increase power at all, or maintain the same torque setting that you had when you got to the perch point?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
The army t6 way says use the power setting for the chosen flap setting, the idea being that you overshoot final and are correcting back while focused outside and lose airspeed/aoa awareness.  At the first indication of stall you apply power and go around.  Been a while and I don't recall the Navy way but it's likely similar.  No idea what the Air Force does.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The army t6 way says use the power setting for the chosen flap setting, the idea being that you overshoot final and are correcting back while focused outside and lose airspeed/aoa awareness.  At the first indication of stall you apply power and go around.  Been a while and I don't recall the Navy way but it's likely similar.  No idea what the Air Force does.
View Quote
The videos I've watched and looking through documentation don't imply any advance of torque, just a lingering question I've had. Thanks for confirming!
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
T-6 instructor pilot here with about 2000 hours instructing in the T-6.

Are you asking about flying the traffic pattern and not stalling due to overshooting winds, or are you asking about setting up a traffic pattern stall for practicing stall recovery?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're practicing a stall recovery (usually in the MOA), you'll set up at straight and level flight like you're on the downwind, set your power for the final turn (based on flap setting), initiate your final turn then power to idle (to facilitate the stall) and usually an overbank for a simulated overshooting wind.  With the airspeed decreasing and the AOA increasing, the aircraft will give you the first indications of a stall.  Usually down lower you'll get the stick shaker and up higher you'll get an airframe buffet...usually.  The students recover at first indication.  Instructors or anyone rated in the aircraft (like on a checkride) will go to a full stall before recovering.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you're practicing a stall recovery (usually in the MOA), you'll set up at straight and level flight like you're on the downwind, set your power for the final turn (based on flap setting), initiate your final turn then power to idle (to facilitate the stall) and usually an overbank for a simulated overshooting wind.  With the airspeed decreasing and the AOA increasing, the aircraft will give you the first indications of a stall.  Usually down lower you'll get the stick shaker and up higher you'll get an airframe buffet...usually.  The students recover at first indication.  Instructors or anyone rated in the aircraft (like on a checkride) will go to a full stall before recovering.
View Quote
That’s exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for describing it so clearly. The manuals I’ve seen are not so clear..
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
How much altitude do you lose in a full stall in the aircraft that you intentionally stall?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Just as an added note - As ARAMP1 stated, you'll generally be in a MOA when doing these stalls.  The regulations on operating the aircraft will list minimum altitudes for various maneuvers.  In this case, AFI 11-2T-6 vol 3 lists a minimum altitude of 6,000 above ground level for intentional stalls.  You will never be intentionally stalling your aircraft in the traffic pattern.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How much altitude do you lose in a full stall in the aircraft that you intentionally stall?
View Quote
You need to show that you can recover within 300ft.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for describing it so clearly. The manuals I’ve seen are not so clear..
View Quote
What service are you?  There are specific manuals for each the AF and the Navy that explain exactly what you need to do and how to do it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What service are you?  There are specific manuals for each the AF and the Navy that explain exactly what you need to do and how to do it.
View Quote
I’m not in. I’m doing initial work with a sim to maybe make life easier for you. I need to press to get my hands on the manuals. What I have is an add on to the manual, cliff notes it seems. Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I’m not in. I’m doing initial work with a sim to maybe make life easier for you. I need to press to get my hands on the manuals. What I have is an add on to the manual, cliff notes it seems. Thanks again for the info.
View Quote
Well, if you think you can make my life easier, I'm all for it!  

Here's the exact flight training instruction for the Navy.  The AF equivalent isn't as accessible over the internet, but aside from some very minor details, it's essentially the same.

Attachment Attached File

EDIT:  It appears my image was shrank from 900Kb to 47Kb when I uploaded it.  I'll try IMing you a copy that is legible if you'd like.  Or here's the link.  Just look under "Primary Contact".
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A question that came up that I can't find an answer to. This is T-6 related in my case, but I'm guessing that the answer is not aircraft specific.

In .mil traffic pattern, when you are at the perch point and you roll into the turn to final to practice an overshooting final turn stall, do you initially increase power at all, or maintain the same torque setting that you had when you got to the perch point?

Thanks in advance!
View Quote
I haven’t flown the T-6 since 2012, so my memory may be a bit rusty.

First, we didn’t practice traffic pattern stalls in the traffic pattern, only in the MOA. But from what I remember, you brought the PCL back to “idle” when setting up both overshooting and undershooting stalls. And you initiated recovery upon first “approach of stall” indication, which was normally the stick shaker but sometimes airframe buffet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, if you think you can make my life easier, I'm all for it!  

Here's the exact flight training instruction for the Navy.  The AF equivalent isn't as accessible over the internet, but aside from some very minor details, it's essentially the same.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181032/Navy_Procedures_jpg-1278266.JPG

EDIT:  It appears my image was shrank from 900Kb to 47Kb when I uploaded it.  I'll try IMing you a copy that is legible if you'd like.  Or here's the link.  Just look under "Primary Contact".
View Quote
The link will work perfect. Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top