Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/13/2022 5:09:42 PM EDT
Adam Carolla has a show segment where you share stories about something you witnessed as being incredibly cheap. In his favorite example was a guy he knows replaced a car’s rusted out floorboard with a highway sign.

The cheapest thing I recall ever witnessing was a buddy of mine’s grandpa would dry out his used dip on the fireplace mantle and then roll it up into smokes.

Got any tightwad stories?
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 63 vw with a plywood passenger floor
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Washing aluminum foil, ziplock bags, Styrofoam to go containers to be reused
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Adam Carolla has a show segment where you share stories about something you witnessed as being incredibly cheap. In his favorite example was a guy he know replaced a car’s rusted out floorboard with a highway sign.

The cheapest thing I recall ever witnessing was a buddy my mine’s grandpa would dry out his used dip on the fireplace mantle and then roll it up into smokes.

View Quote

I dip

Thats fucking disgusting
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Smoking used chew, damn...
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve been known to do that. Aluminum pans have quite a lifespan around these parts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Many years ago a buddy of mine would hold together a pair of sneakers with Shoe Goo to the point that there was pretty much more Shoe Goo than shoe left.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah that’s it. OP wins.

Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. And this is back when a pack was less than $1. The Great Depression must have left a lasting impression.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#9]
"Those toothpicks are still good! They're not broken."

I really thought he was making a weird joke. Disgusting fucker.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The thing that probably gets me the most that Ive encountered is fuckin hippies not flushing the goddamn toilet

Im not sure if its a cheap thing or a save the planet thing but its gross and disgusting
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My mother in law dish washes sour cream containers instead of getting Tupperware
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I grew up on a farm.....I had no idea about things like regular maintenance until I got older.

I thought it was normal for something to break every single day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Smoking used chew is LOL. Wow.

Not sure if mine would qualify as cheap, smart or whatever but....

Had a Nissan Sentra I bought as a road warrior 'drive into the city' car due to it getting really good gas mileage and me not wanting to give a shit about all the stuff that happens on the highway or in the city on the route to work. I also noticed that when I would begin to merge into you with this thing, 95% of people would stop and let me cut in as opposed to literally no one letting me in with my BMW because they knew I didn'
t want to fuck it up.

Anyways....was at a stop and got rear ended by this 110lb chick in a lifted F250 that couldn't see me over the hood. Nothing major, but it fucked up the rear bumper, pushed in the trunk slightly and the bumper cover was torn off in multiple places. She freaks out about insurance and how she just had an accident (surprise there) and she wants to have my car fixed and she'd pay me cash for it. We exchange info, take some pics and within a few days I have an estimate and all. She meets up and brings literally cash for the estimate - was like $1700 or something around there.

I go home, buy a $3 can of black spraypaint (car was black) and spray the entire bare bumper and any area where there was damage and call it good. Drove it like that for another year until the engine blew up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Many years ago a buddy of mine would hold together a pair of sneakers with Shoe Goo to the point that there was pretty much more Shoe Goo than shoe left.
View Quote

Yeah, guilty of that too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#15]
My stepmom was ultra cheap.  One time she was going to make oatmeal raisin cookies but discovered that sugar ants had gotten into the oatmeal.  So she spread out the oatmeal onto a a cookie sheet and baked it at a low temp for a while to kill the ants.  Then did her best to filter the dead ants out before making the cookies.  No, I did not eat any cookies.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Microwave checks before you mail them out.

The microwave scrambles the magnetic ink so the bank has to manually code them. You get an extra day of float.

Doesn't work anymore since the banks visually scan them.

(Make sure to have a cup of water in your microwave or you'll mess it up.)
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The thing that probably gets me the most that Ive encountered is fuckin hippies not flushing the goddamn toilet

Im not sure if its a cheap thing or a save the planet thing but its gross and disgusting
View Quote

You know, I gotta admit.  To save water here at the ranch I'll generally pee outside during the daytime  unless it's pouring rain or freezing cold.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#18]
My grandma would wash out and repurpose Cool Whip containers as tupperware
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I have underpants that are more in line with a loin cloth that are worn daily.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, I have a few cheap ass stories from when I hung out with the stoners in high school.

I’ve seen a few of them desperate enough that they would scape the resin off the bowl, roll it into a ball, and smoke it when there was no weed.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This, I have a few cheap ass stories from when I hung out with the stoners in high school.

I’ve seen a few of them desperate enough that they would scape the resin off the bowl, roll it into a ball, and smoke it when there was no weed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wasn't being cheap with my friends, it was weekly equipment cleaning.

Teenagers are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Roofed with a guy who would save coworkers cigarette butts for the filters for his own cigarettes. Would have a Tupperware full of cigarette butts.

Great aunt used to save ice. If you came over with a drink from the store and finished it she would want the ice so put in the freezer.

When she died and they moved her out of the house the bottoms of the freezers were full of zip lock baggies of money she had hidden. 10-12 bags. Every denomination. Several thousand in the freezer. Hundreds of dollars in change in sour cream and butter containers in the closets, above the bathroom cupboard, stuffed behind stuff in the attic. The Great Depression did a number on people.

I never realized everyone didn't transport food to and from their relatives house all her time in butter and other plastic containers. Grandmas got cookies, moms bringing her beef tips, so on and so forth.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#23]
My Mom used to reuse ricotta containers to freeze spaghetti sauce.

She'd make a cauldron of sauce with meatballs, sausage and a pork shoulder. Slow simmer on the stove all day. Then she'd line up 20 or so containers on the kitchen counter and fill them with meat and sauce. They'd get labeled with the contents on a strip of masking tape and get put in the freezer.

Some of those containers were over 20 years old. They only got retired when the lids cracked beyond repair. I still have a few!
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You know, I gotta admit.  To save water here at the ranch I'll generally pee outside during the daytime  unless it's pouring rain or freezing cold.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/calvin_pissing_on_jpg-2525123.JPG
View Quote

Outside is one thing

Pissing in the pot and leaving to let it brew is another

Its like when your own piss mixes with anothers stale piss it creates this vortex of disgusting piss smell. So bad you can nearly taste it

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/calvin_pissing_on_jpg-2525123.JPG
View Quote

“If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown, flush it down”.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Guy that I used to work with would put used dip back in the can, mix in with the new, and reuse it. Nobody bummed dip from him though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Teenagers are stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Teenagers are stupid.

Clean equipment?

LOL shit was nasty, maybe once every few months
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know if this qualifies but I learned when my lathe went down you can thread barrels for flash hiders or muzzle brakes (not cans) just fine with a cheap annular cutter, thread alignment tool and drill. You can also use an annular cutter the thread bolt handles if you jig it up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I’ve been known to do that. Aluminum pans have quite a lifespan around these parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife does this, along with drying out and reusing paper towels that were only used to wipe water from the counter. She grew up poor.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, now.

I'm currently doing that with my last pair of German army boots.  The old Herman Munster type.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Not the boxes or styrofoam but I reuse the Chinese plastic containers with lids.

If the ziplock bag is not punctured I stuff smelly garbage in them so they don't stink up the house.

I save all twist ties

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My mother in law dish washes sour cream containers instead of getting Tupperware
View Quote
Granny did that. You never knew which country crock container actually held margarine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My wife does this, along with drying out and reusing paper towels that were only used to wipe water from the counter. She grew up poor.
View Quote

Damn, so many examples I can relate to. I’ll hang up paper towels to dry out too. Only once though, I have some class.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve washed and reused freezer bags for non-food stuff.

I’ve got a Marie Callendars’ aluminum pie pan from the ‘80s that I use in the toaster oven.

I’ve fought bums for cans to stretch the beer find.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I save glass jars sometimes. I dump bacon grease in them or use them in my shop for some things. It's more so since everything is going plastic and not glass.

My grandmother also saved cool whip containers and other things like that. They lived through the depression, she also saved all of her little bars of soap that we throw away.

I'll keep building materials and scrap wood for years and then finally say fuck it and throw them out.... Then I need that part the next week.....this has happened to many times
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

The story of my youth.  MD PhD parents who shuddered over spending a penny.

Mom grew up during the depression, without a father (died of stomach cancer when she was 12), and dad was a 1938 immigrant from Germany (fleeing Hitler's pogroms).
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Granny did that. You never knew which country crock container actually held margarine.
View Quote

The one behind the butter door, duh.  Just like my house now.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I save glass jars sometimes. I dump bacon grease in them or use them in my shop for some things. It's more so since everything is going plastic and not glass.

My grandmother also saved cool whip containers and other things like that. They lived through the depression, she also saved all of her little bars of soap that we throw away.

I'll keep building materials and scrap wood for years and then finally say fuck it and throw them out.... Then I need that part the next week.....this has happened to many times
View Quote

I try to graft the old slivers onto the new bar.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Knew a guy that would drink the bong piss to get high when he ran out of weed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow

Thats worse than the dudes gramps smoking his used dip

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Adam Carolla has a show segment where you share stories about something you witnessed as being incredibly cheap. In his favorite example was a guy he knows replaced a car’s rusted out floorboard with a highway sign.

The cheapest thing I recall ever witnessing was a buddy of mine’s grandpa would dry out his used dip on the fireplace mantle and then roll it up into smokes.

View Quote

Buddy's grandpa survive the Great Depression?  I go to the comestology school for my haircuts.  $5 tip is all I give (haircut is free).
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

That reminds me of one.

A guy I knew swore that if you had an empty whiskey bottle and you heated it carefully a certain way you could leech enough whiskey out of the pores in the bottle glass that you could  usually squeeze one more shot glass worth out of that empty bottle.  He said he used to do that as a magic trick at parties.  I never tried it, so I don't know if it's bullshit or not.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck no
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I took my $50 Chevy beretta from MI to FL. I paid $50 for that car.  That should give you an idea how it looked.  

Anyways. I’m shooting down 75 when a landscape truck dumps a rake onto the road.  It shoots up near my legs and pierces the rusty floor.  It’s sticking out about 2 feet through the floor.  I stop and bust it loose.

I’m left with a 4x8 hole where the heel of my right foot rests.  With no cruise control I am not going to enjoy that ride.
I took a bunch of tools with me in case I had mechanical issues.  

I ended up taking my license plate off and screwing it to the floor.  

It worked wonderfully.

I got stopped in TN, GA, and Florida for no plate.

The GA state cop laughed his ass off.  

I still have the rake.
When I got home I made a proper patch.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used to laugh at my ultra-cheap grandfather for this, but I'm sure there are some blue shop towels drying in my garage at this very moment.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

She'd make a cauldron of sauce with meatballs, sausage and a pork shoulder. Slow simmer on the stove all day. Then she'd line up 20 or so containers on the kitchen counter and fill them with meat and sauce. They'd get labeled with the contents on a strip of masking tape and get put in the freezer.

Some of those containers were over 20 years old. They only got retired when the lids cracked beyond repair. I still have a few!
View Quote

@FatMan is this still acceptable?  I still do it. Bitchin’ Sauce containers are about the perfect size to hold 2 bowels of chili.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hillbilly hash!

Lmao at smoking old dip.   Holy fuck
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

2 bowels of chili.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 bowels of chili.

Damn, reusing chili? Shut it down boys, we got a winner.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#49]
You can buy a glue called “bisch’s tear mender” at tractor supply. It glues patches onto jeans perfectly. I have never bought any new jeans. I buy them from goodwill, sometimes very used already, and then I glue them back together as needed. I have Levis I bought when I was 18 from goodwill that I still wear. They have probably 15 patches glued around them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Different times.  My father told me he was about 12 before he got a set of store bought underwear.  Before that it was home made from flour sacks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top