Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2020 6:34:31 PM EDT
Direct link

If you own a Harbor Freight jackstand that is RED or GREY cease using them immediately.  There's a safety recall on them.  See the above link.  Bring them back to the store and they'll give you a gift card for the amount you paid.

Urgent Recall Notice on Pittsburgh 3 Ton & 6 Ton Jack Stands!

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump and thanks, even though I don't have them.

I have had ratchet style jackstands fail spectacularly, Now I use the double pin style - there are too many fail-points on ratchets that are not obvious.

In my case, it was the cold steel roll pin that kept the tooth aligned on the post - it sheared and the tooth let go of the post and the center post shot straight down - and no, it wasn't over-weighted and was in good shape.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up. Need to return mine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Not all the gray ones need to be replaced. Just the ones affected. I have four 6 ton gray jack stands and two are affected and two are not.

Check the numbers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not all the gray ones need to be replaced. Just the ones affected. I have four 6 ton gray jack stands and two are affected and two are not.

Check the numbers.
View Quote

I know, hence why the numbers are in the title line.  Call it social engineering to get people to actually check the numbers on their stands if you'd like.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link.  I guess I need to return mine and pony up for some nicer stands.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple of these jack stands. Came here to post this after seeing it on reddit but found this thread. Bumping for visibility.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Turns out I've got a pair of the 3 ton ones called out by number that'll be returned today....no idea what I paid for them.
They were under my Son's Mazda and had been for a couple months...before I completely removed the floor jack, I'll jiggle the car to determine if anything isn't right before sliding my fat ass under there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Turns out I've got a pair of the 3 ton ones called out by number that'll be returned today....no idea what I paid for them.
They were under my Son's Mazda and had been for a couple months...before I completely removed the floor jack, I'll jiggle the car to determine if anything isn't right before sliding my fat ass under there.
View Quote
I'm super paranoid about getting under a vehicle.  I always put some wood under the wheel if it's still on.  If the wheel is off I try to minimize the amount of time I spend under the vehicle if at all possible.

On a side note, I'm considering getting a quickjack lift for my garage.  For the types of work I do on my own vehicles they would be perfect
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:49:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I came here to post this after seeing it on Facebook. I've got 3 pairs affected. One set still in box.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#10]
So all of the orange ones are safe?  I've never seen a red stand at harbor freight.  I know some color blind folks use red and orange interchangeably.  I have 6 of the 6 ton orange stands and 4 of the 3 ton orange stands.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So all of the orange ones are safe?  I've never seen a red stand at harbor freight.  I know some color blind folks use red and orange interchangeably.  I have 6 of the 6 ton orange stands and 4 of the 3 ton orange stands.
View Quote
@BlaineBug

Check the part numbers listed in the recall as well as in the title
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah these numbers aren't there.  My stand numbers begin with LETTERS.  The larger 6 ton stands are P38847 and the smaller 3 ton stands are P38846.  Just making sure.  Scary!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Just checked my 3 ton set... not on the list.

Anyone have a link to a good 3 ton set? Have not heard of double pin before but an always interested in better safety with jacks. I throw a couple of 4x12's under the corners when my rigs are up.

Thanks,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top