Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2021 12:36:50 PM EDT
I am going through a phase in my life where I am seriously considering simplifying things, guns, watches, etc. My list of watches that personally, I must have:

- Dive/tool watch, For me it the Seiko Turtle on a rubber strap.
- Dress watch. I don’t really have one but I am liking the Hamilton Jazzmaster  quartz for formal occasions.
- A “do anything watch” - Ideally an Explorer II, but I am poor so my CW Sealander (currently my favorite watch).
- Digital beater for PT & yard work whatever, Timex Ironman.

Yep, could certainly have more, but this short list scratches all my basic needs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Must haves? I've got several watches. But they all are divers I've worn in the past. Each served as my watch for that time period whether 5 years or 10, I wore the same watch every waking hour. My newest

The others going back 30 years or more

Eta- I consider any diver either on a bracelet, rubber band, or NATO strap to be suitable for wearing with a suit and tie.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Sort of the same here. I could be moderately happy with a two watch collection.

I MUST have a SHTF watch. For me it's a solar + multiband 6 G-shock.
I 'sort of' must have a durable dive watch.  I have a bunch I plan to keep, but I could live with the Seamaster as the only one if needed.

After that it's niche stuff I could easily live without:
-Simple field watch
-Unbreakable beater solar diver
-Chronograph
-GMT
-Bronze watch

I don't happen to need a dress watch at this point in my life.

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of my current collection?

Omega Seamaster Professional - the first nice watch I ever bought myself and a timeless classic
Seiko Samurai - amazing tool watch, damn near indestructible
Bulova Lunar Pilot - need a chrono and I trust the durability of a quartz chrono over the Valjoux 7750 in my Glycine and whatever the auto chrono is in my Tissots
Ball Standard dress watch - forget the reference number. Pure sex with the radiant silver dial, tritium indices and the handset

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
1.  Rolex sub
1.  Rolex sub
1.  Rolex sub
1.  Rolex sub

I have a boat load of other high end watches and some beaters but the above four has been my go to for over 20 years for EVERY occasion.  On boat, flying, at work, at gym, running, at beach, casual dinners, fancy dinners and events, and yes diving.

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am going through a phase in my life where I am seriously considering simplifying things, guns, watches, etc. me too. every time I clean out one pile of gun parts I have heart burn and wanna throw it away. My list of watches that personally, I must have:

- Dive/tool watch, For me it the Seiko Turtle on a rubber strap. Omega Seamaster on Steel band. been wearing it for 11 years
- Dress watch. I don’t really have one but I am liking the Hamilton Jazzmaster  quartz for formal occasions. Omega Seamaster. I wore it to my wedding. what could be more formal than that?
- A “do anything watch” - Ideally an Explorer II, but I am poor so my CW Sealander (currently my favorite watch).  Seamaster on Nato straps. Wearing it to time my kid's little league game later.
- Digital beater for PT & yard work whatever, Timex Ironman.   no. if I can't wear something nice I don't need a watch that badly.

Yep, could certainly have more, but this short list scratches all my basic needs.
View Quote

really wanting to collect and get into watches more as I get older, but the cost of entry is higher than with guns, more fake shit out there, and I really don't want to get burned.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]

If I had to pick just 4?

124060 / CWC / MKII Vantage / GW-5000
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]
One and done: All you need is a SeaDweller.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Dress, diver, chrono and beater would be my four.  Out of my current collection it would be these:

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I only have one must have. The rest are just entertainment.

It’s one of these two. Guess which.

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I only have one must have. The rest are just entertainment.

It’s one of these two. Guess which.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83325/5080B1DA-C755-408F-AEE8-5B97274509E1-2012106.jpg
View Quote

I vote Explorer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I could get by with one watch pretty easily. The rest are justified by reasons that I keep telling myself are valid.

1. Casio Pathfinder PAW-2000. I can read it without my glasses. Has all the bells and whistles, 10 years old and hasn't needed a battery. It was my only watch for years before I decided I wanted to mess around with analog watches.

2. BN0000. Bulletproof solar dive watch. Had the mineral crystal replaced with sapphire years ago. It's my general beater, and I wear it more than any other watch.  

3. Marathon Navigator. I just like having a tritium watch in the collection for wearing at night. I can read it all night without making my brain focus on the alarm clock across the room.

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I am partal to Rolexes. To me, they look the best, quality etc.

I grew up in Europe and Submariners were also the fad back then (1970s-1980s)

One o' mine is this old Daytona

Stuff by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

really wanting to collect and get into watches more as I get older, but the cost of entry is higher than with guns, more fake shit out there, and I really don't want to get burned.
View Quote

What appeals to you?

Lots of fantastic options out there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am partal to Rolexes. To me, they look the best, quality etc.

I grew up in Europe and Submariners were also the fad back then (1970s-1980s)

One o' mine is this old Daytona

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50916648402_04abd67c3f_k.jpgStuff by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote

Wow is that a 6263?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Two more additions to make. Replace the 16710 Coke I recently sold with black insert 1675 or 16750 and a medium sized (tiny wrists!) Reverso. Like guns, I don’t need many. Just a few decent ones.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Bare minimum for me is an auto diver.  I spent about six years like that.
Preferable is an auto diver  and a dual display diver so I have an alarm and stop watch.  I spent about ten years like that.

I would say a multifunction digital, and did start trying some unit purchased off the shelf ones like that in the late 90s and was issued some, but I found if I really needed that stuff a wrist GPS was not really much bigger than some of the hockey pucks, and could tell me all the same stuff.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#17]
If I had to pick an absolute minimum I could settle for three watches.

A diver as an every day, do anything watch. Something to wear at work, at home, or doing anything recreationally. Currently its my Tudor BB58.

A dress watch for the rare occasions I'm wearing my dress uniform or a suit. I could probably get away with the Tudor here but I prefer a thinner, simpler watch for dressing up. I have a 1950s Omega Seamaster for this role.

The third is my Garmin Fenix 3HR for tracking physical activity and for the times I need GPS on my wrist. The thing is huge and ugly but it has a lot of capabilities. I'll eventually replace it with a newer Garmin that's smaller and does the same things.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#18]
If I only get four…the Speedy looks dressy enough on leather.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I vote Explorer.
View Quote

You guessed correctly you win one internets today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You guessed correctly you win one internets today.
View Quote

Damn.  I guessed wrong.  I have spent over 35 years - with some leeway for digital only dive/altimeter/stopwatch/etc. watches-
With a watch just not being a watch to me without a bezel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Damn.  I guessed wrong.  I have spent over 35 years - with some leeway for digital only dive/altimeter/stopwatch/etc. watches-
With a watch just not being a watch to me without a bezel.
View Quote

Except for Snuba and snorkel, my dive days are over.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What appeals to you?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What appeals to you?

@finslayer83

there's a bunch of cool stuff I like, but I end up seeing to always like the seamaster/sub/tudor versions of dive watches. I don't know enough about modding to be able to dive in there. I like some microbrands but don't really trust they hold value or that I won't get burned. I just don't know the market like I do with guns currently.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Won't get any cheaper than today for discontinued Rolex and Omega models.

Rising tide floats all boats.

Lot's of good micro's out there - I personally enjoy MKII and Yao's offerings. The Nassau and Vantage models are fantastic, have to source second hand. The Project 300 is also a nice SMP300 homage.

ETA movements and build detail that rivals the big brands, if not exceeding many. Also this which MKII/Yao is doing, very excited about these.

Link Posted: 8/26/2021 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could probably get down to two, but no way one. I still believe that a man needs a classic and true dress watch, even if rarely worn. As awesome as the SeaDweller is, it is not a dress watch. For everything else, I agree it suffices.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I could probably get down to two, but no way one. I still believe that a man needs a classic and true dress watch, even if rarely worn. As awesome as the SeaDweller is, it is not a dress watch. For everything else, I agree it suffices.
View Quote

I’m not heeled enough to go anywhere a SD is out of place.

Wife: “don’t wear that watch with tails”

Me: takes off watch to show watch tan line...

Wife: “put it back on”
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#27]
@5thLegion

Care to post up any pics of thoughts on your CW?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@5thLegion

Care to post up any pics of thoughts on your CW?
View Quote

Great watch! I am traveling today but I’ll post a few thoughts tonight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#29]
@Gigantor24 here are my thoughts on the CW.

I believe it’s a solid candidate for the one watch does it all, much like the Explorer. Similarities between the watches are obvious. The Rolex is out of reach for me in the near future (other priorities for my $). I would argue the CW is a pretty damn good substitute while retaining the quality of a good Swiss watch. The size is perfect for me at 39mm. Wears great with a suit or jeans and a tee-shirt. It’s understated yet really sharp. I have worn a lot of watches in the last 10 years - this is one of the few anyone has commented on ie “nice watch”.  Part of me wishes I got the GMT. That is about the only negative thing I can say. Also, I do wish CW would simplify their branding on the dial to the two cross designs.
I am re-thinking my four watch idea. I do think I could do three. The CW, a Seiko Turtle diver, and a digital sports watch, for me it’s the Ironman. If I had only one watch I could make it work with the CW.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Thx legion, really appreciate the reply..

Yea the white gmt has really caught my eye. I'm glad to see all the positive feedback
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I will also say the CW C65 Trident GMT is really tempting as well. The retro one with the Pepsi bezel. Gives the Tudor GMT a run for it’s money IMO. But yeah that white dial C63 Sealander GMT on the bracelet is really a sharp watch.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I will also say the CW C65 Trident GMT is really tempting as well. The retro one with the Pepsi bezel. Gives the Tudor GMT a run for it’s money IMO. But yeah that white dial C63 Sealander GMT on the bracelet is really a sharp watch.
View Quote

The C65 is badass.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#33]
@Finslayer83

Not to get too off topic, can I ask which MKii's you've had?

I think I remember you still have your vantage?

Looking at the used market of milsubs/kingston/Nassau's

Any wisdom to share with pros/cons? Different variants that are more rare/desirable

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@Finslayer83

Not to get too off topic, can I ask which MKii's you've had?

I think I remember you still have your vantage?

Looking at the used market of milsubs/kingston/Nassau's

Any wisdom to share with pros/cons? Different variants that are more rare/desirable

Thanks!
View Quote

I've got the Vantage, it's one I'll never part with. Fantastic watch.

I've had two of the LRRP MilSubs, one with HEV and one without. Also a Blackwater and a Yao Seiko mod.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I've always liked nice watches but never been a real collector. I tend to keep watches forever, Im 61 now and still have:

1. Tudor Submariner, I bought new in 1985 and it has been my daily wear since. It is a 76100.
2. Ralf-Tech Diver. I had a French military friend show me his years ago. I love it, Tough true diver.
3. Doxa 300T Professional, nice watch with history but I rarely wear it.

Those are the only 3 in my "rotation" but I do have my older watches from before 1985 but no longer wear them:

4. Hamilton mechanical military issue watch. It still runs but I've not worn it in decades.
5. Roamer military issue watch. circa 1978. I rarely have worn this since the 80s, very similar to the Hamilton.
6. My dad's Seiko SS automatic watch. He bought it in the Danaang PX in 1966 I believe.

I could easily get by with any one of the first 3 although the Ralf Tech is a bit large for a do it all watch.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 1:31:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am going through a phase in my life where I am seriously considering simplifying things, guns, watches, etc. My list of watches that personally, I must have:

- Dive/tool watch, For me it the Seiko Turtle on a rubber strap.
- Dress watch. I don’t really have one but I am liking the Hamilton Jazzmaster  quartz for formal occasions.
- A “do anything watch” - Ideally an Explorer II, but I am poor so my CW Sealander (currently my favorite watch).
- Digital beater for PT & yard work whatever, Timex Ironman.

View Quote

Nice list.  I too prefer to keep a smaller collection of guns, watches, etc that all get use rather than a larger collection that gets admired.  

- Dive/tool watch - Rolex Submariner Date 41mm (own)
- Dress watch - JLC Reverso Steel (on wishlist)
- A “do anything watch” - Hamilton Khaki Field (own)
- Digital beater - Casio GShock Square (own)

Need to add another category
- Fitness Watch/Computer - Garmin Fenix (own)

Bonus
-Just because - Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch or Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi (wishlists)
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Can I just make up a list without actually owning any of these watches:

#1 - Daily Wear / Office Watch - Rolex Explorer 39mm
#2 - Weekend Warrior / Diver - Tudor Black Bay Date w/ Stainless Bezel
#3 - Date Night / Dress Watch - Nomos Ludwig 38
#4 – Mountain Biking / Active Watch - Casio 5600

I might be able to knock away the Tudor and only have 3, but it would be difficult. I like having a diver in the midst.

I plan to buy each one of them along with a few more, but if I could come up with an 'essentials' list this would be it for me. I really wish I could find a place for a Speedmaster to be essential, but I don't really think it is. I really prefer my list above over having a Speedmaster.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#38]
I could go almost anywhere, do almost anything with my Tudor Pelagos.

My current 4 watch rotation is Pelagos (daily), Deep Blue NATO Diver (weekend beater), Glycine Combat (dressy enough depending on strap) and Seiko solar (work).

Seriously, if my life goes right I'll get down to one watch and not care (Pelagos every day, all day).
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting to see Tudors frequently in the mix on these lists, the Black Bay has always interested me, as has their GMT.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Interesting to see Tudors frequently in the mix on these lists, the Black Bay has always interested me, as has their GMT.
View Quote

The Tudor BB series is truly the "sport / tool" watch from Rolex S.A.

For $3k you will be hard pressed to find a better deal on what you actually get.

If there was a non gilt BB58, I'd probably have one less Sub.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Just a GShock and a fancier looking Citizen Eco do whatever I need. GShock is what I wear 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#42]
The more I look hard at my first nice auto, the more I'm inclined to go Black bay 58..

My local AD has/can get the blue and or OG black/gilt,

Are the new bb58 bronze the new additions for next year, or is there the potential for some fresh 58's in the next few months??
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ this guy gets it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Upon reflection I can get to three:

Explorer type watch. My CW Sealander fits the bill. I have aspirations for a Tudor BB 36 or Explorer. Probably the BB, I am having trouble rationalizing the Explorer.

A Seiko dive watch. Must have one it’s my first love. For me it’s the Blumo. All around awesome beater and weekend watch. Flawed but I love it. Considered the Willard as well but the Sumo is more versatile IMO.

Field/PT watch - I plan to buy a G-shock GW-5000U-1JF. Currently use an Ironman Shock for this.

Everything else I plan to sell or give to my boys.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Upon reflection I can get to three:

Explorer type watch. My CW Sealander fits the bill. I have aspirations for a Tudor BB 36 or Explorer. Probably the BB, I am having trouble rationalizing the Explorer.

A Seiko dive watch. Must have one it’s my first love. For me it’s the Blumo. All around awesome beater and weekend watch. Flawed but I love it. Considered the Willard as well but the Sumo is more versatile IMO.

Field/PT watch - I plan to buy a G-shock GW-5000U-1JF. Currently use an Ironman Shock for this.

Everything else I plan to sell or give to my boys.
View Quote

The cost of the Explorer is irrelevant from a “spend” aspect (assuming it’s not financially a bad decision) when you look at it a year from now. What I mean is that it’s hard to rationalize $7k on a watch.

Sounds wild but each day you wear and enjoy it, the “cost” becomes lower and lower. A year later you will say “why didn’t I do this earlier”. Quality is remembered long after cost is forgotten. Cliche but IMO actually applies here.

Took me 10 years to get to that point and in the first 24 hours of ownership you will have all kinds of thoughts: excitement, regret, admiration, etc... once the honeymoon passes - you get to really enjoying it.

If you get a new Explorer (supreme Badass) and don’t mesh with it - you can always sell it and make money.

You are buying something that will rarely come off your wrist.  It becomes a companion vs a watch.

I’m sure many here can vouch for that as well.

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I could make it pretty well with three:

Dress/everyday:  Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra.  This gets it done in anything from jeans to tails.  Amazing watch.
Diver:  Sinn U1.  Damn near indestructible, go-anywhere, do-anything watch.
Chrono:  Currently, a Longines Master Collection Auto, but eventually I'd like a Heuer Monaco.

I've got others I really love (Hamilton Khaki Auto, Glycine Combat Sub, Damasko DA353) but those are more for fun to put in the rotation.  I also have a couple of Orients and an old Luminox, but could easily live without them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top