Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2021 3:49:52 PM EDT
I'm running pfSense on my home network and I have IPv6 turned off.  Everything is working fine.  Just wondering if there's any advantage of turning it on.  I assume I'd still have NAT anyway since I'm still using IPv4?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Realistically, no. While there are a ton of services that are ALSO available on v6, I can’t think of anything that is exclusive to v6.

It’s fun to get your own /48 and set up a Hurricane Electric tunnel. But don’t do it on your primary networks - some like Netflix block them like VPN providers.

pfSense is pretty awesome. I have an HE tunnel on some networks and addresses from a dynamic block assigned by Spectrum on others.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
If I could have a static /48 assigned by my ISP, that would be wicked cool. I could have any number of servers in my house and connect to them from across the globe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Only time I ever used the ipv6 was when I set it up at my house and my mom's. I was able to print to her printer with just a firewall rule.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I was about to say that there's nothing a home network would benefit from on IPv6, but I've been enlightened. Assuming you can get it up on each endpoint network, it seems like a simpler way to get house to house file syncing / remote backup setup.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
No more NAT! IPv4 can't die soon enough!
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No more NAT! IPv4 can't die soon enough!
View Quote

I'm trying to figure out how to get CenturyLink to give me a /48. Hell, a /56 or /60 would work, too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, no.

Since very few of the North American networks support IPv6, its rather pointless to enable it in the home environment.  I've occasionally seen minor problems caused by having it turned on.

Maybe in 10-20 years that will change (the network support), but for now....
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]
No.  Rob Braxman has a good video on it.  It gives up your privacy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

That guy is the tech equivalent of some of the worst youtube gun channels - complete with a loyal troop of ignorant followers eating up every word.

I tried to watch his IPv6 video, but had to bail at this point:

Attachment Attached File

Running IPv6 in your home network might not be for everybody, but that guy is a fear mongering idiot playing to his public.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm typing responses as I watch.

2:57 - He has some something-or-other that doesn't work with IPv6; he's starting to sound like an old fudd.
3:12 - He is apparently going to tell me all about how SLAAC is dangerous.
3:27 - I'm not disabling IPv6 in my house; fuck you.
3:37 - People are being forced by their ISPs to use IPv6 routers, probably because 32-bit integers cap out at ~4B unique values, you colossal moron.
4:00 - You wanted to know from the tech why the ISP is v6 by default; see above, genius.
5:00 - Techies switched their routers over to IPv6 for no real gain? No, you clueless dumbshit, I did it so that I could have multiple, globally-addressable hosts inside my house. And I didn't switch to IPv6, I added it alongside IPv4. That's why it's called dual-stack, you fucking clueless shit-faced drunk-ass motherfucker.
5:10 - Fuck this idiot, I'm out of here. Kudos to the guy who lasted longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top