Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I met a geneticist a few years back that said he had the answer to the pig problem. He had made a boar that would only father boars. It was bigger, meaner, and stronger. All the offspring of said boar would be boars that are infertile but will run off other boars.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"They're tearing my land up! They're destroying my crops! We've already lost thousands of dollars this year because of them, please help !  "

"Hey, I'll come hunt them if you want ???  "

"Sure . Pay me a 500.00 per hunter, come kill all you want"
View Quote

Most farmers do not charge for hunts.  They allow trusted outfitters to use their property.  It's the outfitter charging you.  You know, for access and equipment and shit.   Around here it's mostly helicopter hunting.

Letting unknown fucktards with no respect for property trample around your land isn't appealing to most.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Challenge Accepted!
View Quote

Finally, a worthy opponent
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh great.  Another Amy Schumer thread.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Where do you live?
View Quote

@redfish86

It is illegal to hunt, trap, or take Eurasian boars or their hybrids
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Finally, REAL Canadian bacon!
View Quote

First thing I thought
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s just ignorant

I figured it was NY, MA, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Thermal.  You want thermal.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thermal.  You want thermal.

View All Quotes

I have an MH25 on my helmet. Just dragging my feet on NV.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice!  I have rifle mounted thermal and a PVS 14, looking to add an MH25 to my helmet rig this year.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bring 'em on... I'm ready.
View Quote

Yes, I'll be happy to stop buying my meat from the store.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
More importantly, what round for Super Pigs? I'm thinking something unnecessarily big .30 cal or .40 cal rifles?
View Quote

A .58 should do it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
when will they get into NH and Maine so I can hunt them.
View Quote

And Oregon.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You don’t want em.
View Quote

Wrong. We want them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Just picked up a Sabatti double rifle in 45-70. Should be good for them if they ever show up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Make it difficult for for the People to harvest them, then complain about ‘em taking over.

Sounds about right.

Open up night hunting, and vehicle access, and they’ll start disappearing.

Ain’t dragging one of them out of the woods on a cart or hiking 15K acres on foot for a pig.
Fuck that, hire some biologists to fix the problem.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Bring on the super pigs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The pigs survive extreme weather by tunneling up to 2m under snow, Brook said, creating a snow cave.

"They'll use their razor-sharp tusks to cut down cattails [a native plant], and line the bottom of the cave with cattails as a nice warm insulating layer.

"And in fact, they're so warm inside that one of the ways we use to find these pigs is to fly first thing in the morning when it's really cold, colder than -30, and you will actually see steam just pouring out the top of the snow."

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#20]
There aren’t many problems that can’t be fixed with $700 and a .30-06.

This sounds like one of them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That’s just ignorant

I figured it was NY, MA, etc.
View Quote

yeah... welcome to NY    this is their logic btw (it only makes sense if they are doing a rapid response):

What are the regulations on Eurasian boar in New York State?
To prevent Eurasian boar from entering or becoming permanently established throughout the state, the following regulations have been put into place:
• As of October 2013, it is illegal to import, breed, or release Eurasian boars in NYS.
• As of April 2014, it is illegal to hunt or trap free-ranging Eurasian boar in NYS.
• As of September 2015, it is illegal to possess, sell, distribute, trade, or transport Eurasian boar within NYS.
Why is it illegal to hunt them?
The most efficient way to manage Eurasian boar is to trap the entire sounder (group of pigs) at one time and eliminate them then. Research and management
experience has shown that hunting wild boar disperses them into smaller groups, costing more time and money to track down each individual. Eurasian boar are extremely intelligent, highly adaptable animals. Many never return to areas where they’ve been shot at and those that do are more suspicious, making them
harder to trap in subsequent attempts. Hunting is also an inefficient and ineffective eradication option due to the boars’ high survival and reproductive rates. Hunters would have to take 70-75% of the population each year just to stabilize their numbers. Prohibiting hunting of Eurasian boar also eliminates the incentive to
illegally introduce new populations for sport hunting.

What if Eurasian boar are destroying my crops or private property?
If Eurasian boar are damaging your property, provisions in the regulations would allow you to shoot these animals with
proper prior approval. Any landowner whose property is damaged by free-ranging boar should contact a DEC regional
wildlife office to determine whether a permit is needed to shoot boar on their property.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/eurasianboarfact.pdf
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wrong. We want them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don’t want em.

Wrong. We want them.

Everyone says that.

Then it happens.

Then you realize you didn’t want them to begin with.

Context:

We have just under 2000AC.  We kill a lot of hogs.  We have someone there pretty much every day of the year.  Sometimes there are 6 of us with thermal, etc.

You CANNOT keep up with killing them.  It is impossible, even with traps (at one point we had 15+ traps going). They are horribly destructive.  They fuck everything up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice!  I have rifle mounted thermal and a PVS 14, looking to add an MH25 to my helmet rig this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m extremely happy with mine. I might order a PVS-14 eyepiece for it though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#24]
My Ruger Gunsite Scout and DD MK12 are ready
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#25]
We already have a "Super Pig" here, in fact several:

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#26]
So how exactly are they hunting these giant pigs if castro’s bastard is banning all guns?  Hopefully that fucker gets gored by a wild one soon.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone know if a wolf will take them on?
View Quote

Maybe a super wolf or a super dire wolf!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For decades, wild pigs have been antagonizing flora and fauna in the US: gobbling up crops, spreading disease, and even killing deer and elk.

Now, as fears over the potential of the pig impact in the US grow, North America is also facing a new swine-related threat, as a Canadian "super pig", a giant, "incredibly intelligent, highly elusive" beast capable of surviving cold climates by tunneling under snow, is poised to infiltrate the north of the country.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/thumb/1200.633.https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/feral-super-pig.jpg

The emergence of the so-called super pig, a result of cross-breeding domestic pigs with wild boars, only adds to the problems the US faces from the swine invasion.

Pigs are not native to the US, but have wrought havoc in recent decades: the government estimates the country's approximately 6m wild, or feral, pigs cause $1.5bn of damage each year.

In parts of the country, the pigs' prevalence has sparked a whole hog hunting industry, where people pay thousands of dollars to mow down boar and sow with machine guns. But overall, the impact of the pigs, first introduced to the US in the 16th century, has very much been a negative, as the undiscerning swine has chomped its way across the country.

"We see direct competition for our native species for food," said Michael Marlow, assistant program manager for the Department of Agriculture's National feral swine damage management program.

In Canada, like in the US, wild pigs are a relatively recent problem. Up until 2002 there were barely any wild pigs in the country, but Brook said the population has exploded in the past eight years. The animals are now spread across 1 million sq km of Canada, predominantly in Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

"Wild pigs are easily the worst invasive large mammal on the planet," said Ryan Brook.

"They're incredibly intelligent. They're highly elusive, and also when there's any pressure on them, especially if people start hunting them, they become almost completely nocturnal, and they become very elusive   hiding in heavy forest cover, and they disappear into wetlands and they can be very hard to locate."

Brook and others are particularly troubled by the emergence of a "super pig", created by farmers cross-breeding wild boar and domestic pigs in the 1980s. The result was a larger swine, which produced more meat, and was easier for people to shoot in Canadian hunting reserves.

These pigs escaped captivity and swiftly spread across Canada, with the super pig proving to be an incredibly proficient breeder, Brook said, while its giant size   one pig has been clocked at more than 300kg (661lbs)   makes it able to survive the frigid western Canada winters, where the wind chill can be -50C.

"All the experts said at that time: 'Well, no worries. If a wild pig or a wild boar ever escaped from a farm, there's no way it would survive a western Canadian winter. It would just freeze to death.'

"Well, it turns out that being big is a huge advantage to surviving in the cold."

The pigs survive extreme weather by tunneling up to 2m under snow, Brook said, creating a snow cave.

"They'll use their razor-sharp tusks to cut down cattails [a native plant], and line the bottom of the cave with cattails as a nice warm insulating layer.

"And in fact, they're so warm inside that one of the ways we use to find these pigs is to fly first thing in the morning when it's really cold, colder than -30, and you will actually see steam just pouring out the top of the snow."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/20/us-threat-canada-super-pig-boar
View Quote

Did you know that what you are claiming to be a "domesticated" pig is a wild pig inside.
If a domesticated pig escapes and lives on its own long enough. The features we associate with the wild version start to come through. When no longer cared for by people. They will physically change toward what we consider "wild’. They physically manifest back to those wild traits. Long hair, cutters, etc.
One of the reasons they are so incredibly adaptable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

NH F&G needs to reclassify the wild pigs already in NH.

They are currently considered escaped private property and not a game animal.

IMO, enough of them have escaped from Corbin Park that they're living wild in small numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO, enough of them have escaped from Corbin Park that they're living wild in small numbers.

Any that get out get wiped out by the locals and trappers pretty fast. There isn't any sustained population outside the park that I've heard of.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Annual hog dog buggy hunt at my hunt lease on Saturday.
They Bayed up 40+, cut 10, killed 3. Largest killed was 293lbs.

One member kills 45+ every year. I might shoot 3.
No shortage.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I hunt them 2-3 times a month. It’s fun getting into a group and knocking down 3 or more at a time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bring 'em on... I'm ready.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Make it difficult for for the People to harvest them, then complain about ‘em taking over.

Sounds about right.

Open up night hunting, and vehicle access, and they’ll start disappearing.

Ain’t dragging one of them out of the woods on a cart or hiking 15K acres on foot for a pig.
Fuck that, hire some biologists to fix the problem.
View Quote

Man has hunted wolves, whales, buffaloes to the verge of extinction given the desire.

Pigs are no different.  It’s just regulation that keeps them around.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#34]
"Wild pigs are easily the worst invasive large mammal on the planet," said Ryan Brook.

No Mr. Brook, that title belongs to humanity.  The pigs are in a distant second place.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Feral-pig-tests-positive-for-virus-potential-threat-to-livestock-509714051.html

This one had a virus that supposed %100 fatal in young/baby pigs. Probably not something anyone would want to consume. Article is a few years old.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm down to hunt Canadian Bacon pigs with thermals & NODS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Finally, REAL Canadian bacon!

I'm down to hunt Canadian Bacon pigs with thermals & NODS.

Me too. Let's get a hunting party together.

If we happen to drive the super pigs back across the norther border then we could just annex Albert and Saskatchewan and set up Arfcomistan to keep hunting. It would be a hell of a weekend.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No Mr. Brook, that title belongs to humanity.  The pigs are in a distant second place.
View Quote

DU --->
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I, for one, am already drooling for super-bacon!

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Good I am hungry
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Everyone says that.

Then it happens.

Context:

We have just under 2000AC.  We kill a lot of hogs.  We have someone there pretty much every day of the year.  Sometimes there are 6 of us with thermal, etc.

You CANNOT keep up with killing them.  It is impossible, even with traps (at one point we had 15+ traps going). They are horribly destructive.  They fuck everything up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don’t want em.

Wrong. We want them.

Everyone says that.

Then it happens.

Context:

I heard an interview of the state DNR chief a few months ago, he said there are wild pigs in every county in GA now. I used to never see them but recently saw a group of 7-8 just a few miles from my house.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Everyone says that.

Then it happens.

Context:

View Quote

Similar sized property.  We went out the other night and on the first go round saw over 100 pigs in a 20 minute window. We hammer them every year and every year there are more.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The PETA forum is that way.
<-------

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet that sounded better read out loud at your Allies of Feminism Book Club meeting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I have yet to meet one that can outsmart bullet.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Highly elusive, that's every commie politician in Canada and the US.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#47]
A million square kilometers - that's like what, 3 acres?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Any that get out get wiped out by the locals and trappers pretty fast. There isn't any sustained population outside the park that I've heard of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bold is likely, although I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few lone pigs floating around and surviving.  That might become a problem if a pregnant sow gets out and hides.

Anyone know if this one got tracked down this year?  https://www.wmur.com/article/upper-valley-new-hampshire-feral-hog-10622/41548757
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I was always surprised there weren't any in Alaska running around or at least you never hear about them if there are. I always figured if they could survive remote areas of Russia they could basically survive anywhere with vegetation.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like a pig crossed with a buffalo.

Pigalo?
Boaralo?
Buffapig?
Buffaboar?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top