Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/20/2021 12:25:28 AM EDT

Yellen said pandemic relief would take priority over tax increases, but corporations and the wealthy, which both benefited from 2017 Republican tax cuts "need to pay their fair share."

She raised eyebrows of some senators and Wall Street when she said that Treasury would consider the possibility of taxing unrealized capital gains - through a "mark-to-market" mechanism - as well as other approaches to boost revenues.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-biden-yellen/act-big-now-to-save-economy-worry-about-debt-later-yellen-says-in-treasury-testimony-idUSKBN29O1WX
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Right behind what the IMF was saying the other day about "Go ahead, spend, spend, spend. We'll worry about it later..."
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#3]
how about open the economy and it takes care of itself shitlord
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#4]
What is wrong with the economy other than politicians trying to ruin small business?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Haven't we been "acting big" for decades?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

View Quote

That is fucking terrifying.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

View Quote

That will certainly spur investment in our economy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]
WTF?

And today they only send me 145.90 for a stimulus check?!

I want free money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too late for that. Nine million more people are unemployed compared to a year ago. Do you know how long it takes to get nine million people back into productive employment? Just those nine million require trillions in capital expenditures to be productive workers again. Where will that capital come from?

Millions of people have left the workforce and a million businesses have closed. The Dems destroyed the economy to get the presidency, but the economy doesn't come back to normal with some magic switch that the government can turn on.

Let me ask you: would you put your personal capital at risk starting a business after seeing how the governments behaved this past year? Would you work harder for more money if it's just going to get taxed away? Would you hire someone when you will be required to pay them more than they are worth?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#10]
How many will regret their vote after this comes to fruition?

I have my doubts only because this will be painful for d donors.
Biden’s still old school and won’t go completely there
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WTF?

And today they only send me 145.90 for a stimulus check?!

I want free money.
View Quote

Once your inflationary gains are recognized, you'll have to pay back the $145.90 too. Sorry bro.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is called CONFISCATION.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:52:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

No shit!!!  What in the fuck does that even mean???  We are living in fucking clown world.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh come on, you can't seriously believe that old demented fuck us actually calling the shots.

Quoted:

Too late for that. Nine million more people are unemployed compared to a year ago. Do you know how long it takes to get nine million people back into productive employment? Just those nine million require trillions in capital expenditures to be productive workers again. Where will that capital come from?

Millions of people have left the workforce and a million businesses have closed. The Dems destroyed the economy to get the presidency, but the economy doesn't come back to normal with some magic switch that the government can turn on.

Let me ask you: would you put your personal capital at risk starting a business after seeing how the governments behaved this past year? Would you work harder for more money if it's just going to get taxed away? Would you hire someone when you will be required to pay them more than they are worth?

Well said. Frighteningly so.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No shit!!!  What in the fuck does that even mean???  We are living in fucking clown world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

To me it sounds like they might be taxing the increase of your portfolio when you haven't sold anything yet, am I wrong ?

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#16]
1st there was Pre-Crime now there will be Pre-Profit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#17]
What about losses?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

That would kill equity liquidity and send the value of securities into the toilet. I'd say fuck it and dump all my holdings into a money market fund or maybe some kind of fixed income/dividend fund.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this, plus the intent to not o ly give amnesty and citizenship to the 15-20 million illegal immigrants but open H1b back up even wider and less protections against extra waves of incoming illegal immigration. Less wages for Americans and more benefits to illegals and unneeded foreign nationals.

Taxing unearned gains. At what point is it just literal robbery  with no pretenses? Federal property tax rate mandates will be coming soon. It’s 1917 Russia now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Uh, we've been on life support since 2008.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

What the FUCK
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Within 6 months, the media will be harping non-stop about how fantastic the economic recovery has been under Biden, despite the absolute disaster he inherited from Trump.  They'll say it's a miracle that Biden has been able to bring us back from the brink of total collapse.

People will wonder why they aren't personally benefitting from any of it, but they'll believe it's true because the media and all the Democrats say so.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#24]
She's over 9000!

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All of this, plus the intent to not o ly give amnesty and citizenship to the 15-20 million illegal immigrants but open H1b back up even wider and less protections against extra waves of incoming illegal immigration. Less wages for Americans and more benefits to illegals and unneeded foreign nationals.

Taxing unearned gains. At what point is it just literal robbery  with no pretenses? Federal property tax rate mandates will be coming soon. It’s 1917 Russia now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, lets bring them all in... since no one has a job.. right?

good idea!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:21:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you look at a holding and compare the loss of holding it to the loss of exporting it...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:25:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

If I'm interpreting that correctly... taxing gains that haven't even been made yet?  YEAH. That shit is fucking frightening.

I've said it a few times today... I think we're going to see the Law of Unintended Consequences kicking in a lot over the next few years!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#29]

I'm glad I enjoyed the circus when I was a kid.

Clown world ain't as much fun as an adult.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

View Quote

WTF is an unrealized gain?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

View Quote

I guess that means reach into the traditional IRAs and 401k's and ...

"Well, let's just take some now.  It's ours anyway.  Thank you for your patriotic support."
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Look I know the left are uneducated and only have degree mill byproducts but this shit is amateur leadership.  Every single one of their ideas are lessons learned several times over.  You have to lose yourself in mental gymnastics to even think their ideas are not catastrophic.  

Ruins of an empire I guess.  Trying to keep the sharade up long enough for them to sack the palace before the rest of the folks know what happened.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You buy a stock for 5 bucks.  Its now 20.  You have 15 in unrealized gains.  Pay taxes when you sell it.

Now imagine you're taxed at 20 bucks a share and pay 5 bucks to the government and the stock then goes below 5 bucks.

You never realized any profit but are still paying taxes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:34:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Look I know the left are uneducated and only have degree mill byproducts but this shit is amateur leadership.  Every single one of their ideas are lessons learned several times over.  You have to lose yourself in mental gymnastics to even think their ideas are not catastrophic.  

Ruins of an empire I guess.  Trying to keep the sharade up long enough for them to sack the palace before the rest of the folks know what happened.
View Quote

Ironic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

You bought $300 gold-one ounce. It’s in your safe. You could sell it for $1800. You don’t, so it is an “unrealized gain.” They want you to pay a tax on the gold. Say, 2% of current value. So you have to cut the government a check for $36. Each year. And you can bet whatever the rate is it will increase every year and it’s ok because you’re rich and must be made to pay your fair share.

Edit to add:

That rate might be actually closer to the capital gains rate because now they’re just not going to wait for you to sell, probably closer to %10. And “mark to market” means they decide what market is.

So that $36 could just as easily be $180 each year. They know they can just take whatever they want and they are going to.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:38:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure thing. Get ready for mountains and mountains of new regulation. Fucked now with a capital F.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

It's sorta like the "unsecured property tax" that I pay annually for my boat. Fuckers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:54:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You bought $300 gold-one ounce. It’s in your safe. You could sell it for $1800. You don’t, so it is an “unrealized gain.” They want you to pay a tax on the gold. Say, 2% of current value. So you have to cut the government a check for $36. Each year. And you can bet whatever the rate is it will increase every year and it’s ok because you’re rich and must be made to pay your fair share.

Edit to add:

That rate might be actually closer to the capital gains rate because now they’re just not going to wait for you to sell, probably closer to %10. And “mark to market” means they decide what market is.

So that $36 could just as easily be $180 each year. They know they can just take whatever they want and they are going to.
View Quote

That's why I hold physical and not paper.  The gov doesn't know how much gold, guns, or ammo I have, and they're not going to know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:03:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Basically a way to tax people that have valuable items, financial instruments, stocks etc. that they aren't selling/trading right now. People may want to hold on to them for a number of reasons; the government wants to extract as much money as they can.

For instance, lets say you bought 100 shares of AMD stock at $2 a share and you hold all of it until present day (currently 89.45 a share). You could make a lot of money if you sold it and it's currently worth way more than the $2 you bought it for, but that gain isn't realized yet because you haven't sold it yet. The government would tax that unrealized gain whether you sold the stock or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:05:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Within 6 months, the media will be harping non-stop about how fantastic the economic recovery has been under Biden, despite the absolute disaster he inherited from Trump.  They'll say it's a miracle that Biden has been able to bring us back from the brink of total collapse.

People will wonder why they aren't personally benefitting from any of it, but they'll believe it's true because the media and all the Democrats say so.
View Quote

Absolutely. If not six months then within a year. Fuck these vile loathsome motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I think it's safe to say at some point in the future interest rates will rise above 0%. And when they do that massive debt overhang we're foolishly racking up will go from being a lifeline to a massive ball and chain that will wreck the economy and force the government into austerity or complete collapse... Or the Fed holds them down and we're all billionaires.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:12:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Basically a way to tax people that have valuable items, financial instruments, stocks etc. that they aren't selling/trading right now. People may want to hold on to them for a number of reasons; the government wants to extract as much money as they can.

For instance, lets say you bought 100 shares of AMD stock at $2 a share and you hold all of it until present day (currently 89.45 a share). You could make a lot of money if you sold it and it's currently worth way more than the $2 you bought it for, but that gain isn't realized yet because you haven't sold it yet. The government would tax that unrealized gain whether you sold the stock or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Similar to real estate? Yeah, we can bet on seeing this coming to fruition.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

View Quote

That won’t completely tank the stock market.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:43:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes but it depends on the business.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

View Quote
I didn't think a compelling case would ever be made to renounce citizenship, but that's a solid one, lol.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think it's safe to say at some point in the future interest rates will rise above 0%. And when they do that massive debt overhang we're foolishly racking up will go from being a lifeline to a massive ball and chain that will wreck the economy and force the government into austerity or complete collapse... Or the Fed holds them down and we're all billionaires.
View Quote

The government will never choose austerity, that's been clear since 2002.

The functional collapse of the monetary system will be seen as a social justice opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Biden's controllers will.  And so will Harris.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:36:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Taxing unrealized gains

it means as they print trillions of dollars to give to the elite it will cause massive inflation. As asset worth rises due to inflation the govt is going to tax you on that new inflation produced value every year even when you dont sell said asset.

TLDR: theft till you have nothing left
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Look on the bright side though, no more tweets
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top