Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 3:30:09 PM EDT
120 K

Looks clean, price is right. I see the 04 had some issues with plugs and stuff.

Any known issues in the 2002 model yr. ?

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
V8 triton is a crap motor, i had 2 blow up within 2 weeks, oil filter needs to be a non backflow or they starve for oil on starts, mine wasnt because of this, cam cap went bad and it sent a rod through the block. Cam phasers are also a no go on these, do not buy! There is a reason its the cheapest you found.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
5.4's are fucking trash.

Dog shit power and poor reliability.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
V8 triton is a crap motor, i had 2 blow up within 2 weeks, oil filter needs to be a non backflow or they starve for oil on starts, mine wasnt because of this, cam cap went bad and it sent a rod through the block. Cam phasers are also a no go on these, do not buy! There is a reason its the cheapest you found.
View Quote

Thks,
What yr. was yours?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It really is a shitty engine and it’s a snail in the Super Duty with the gas mileage of a carbureted big block.

*former Ford tech for fleet vehicles largely comprised of the afor mentioned vehicle*
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My 2001 F150 with the 5.4 Triton ejected 2 plugs in two days while I was driving across the US.
Had 128k on it.

I bought a hail-damaged 2020 the next day for a deep discount.  Coyote makes me smile.

In fairness...that engine had had ZERO problems until those 2 days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Still have some 01 and 02s in fleet.
No power, poor gas mileage, but just keep going.
Had some go 250k.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thks,
What yr. was yours?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thks,
What yr. was yours?

'01 f250 extended cab 8' bed, 5.4 triton.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I'll be the outlier here. My workplace has a fleet of f250s, and most of them are 5.4 liters.

They pull 7-10k lbs all summer, and push snow all winter. They are far from babied, most are rusting to pieces, but the engines keep on going. Moat have had to get the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced, but they don't die.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
2002 was before the stupid plugs that break when you try to remove them. Also before the crappy cam phasers. That being said, it won’t win any races. It will do truck stuff and if you actually take care of it, should last a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all for the opinions, keep em coming.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had two F250s with 5.4s in them now.  A '99 and the '08 I currently own with 155k on it.  I like them fine and have never had any of the issues that are reported as endemic.  I do change the oil religiously at 3k due to the cam phaser issue that can result from poor oiling.  I don't tow with them, I just push snow and haul stuff in the bed.

They're slow, but that has never bothered me.  I have a 700hp Mustang to go fast in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a bunch of 5.4 powered e and f trucks. There are 2 over 300,000 miles and still running. The only one that blew up was driver neglected. He averaged 12,000 miles on oil changes and often ran it low of oil until it died . He seemed surprised. He is a moron.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
2002 was before the stupid plugs that break when you try to remove them. Also before the crappy cam phasers. That being said, it won’t win any races. It will do truck stuff and if you actually take care of it, should last a while.
View Quote

Thanks, just need to be able tow a camper & sled trailer and do truck stuff. Not a speed guy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Gasoline?  In a super-doody?  Are you crazy?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
5.4's are fucking trash.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks, just need to be able tow a camper & sled trailer and do truck stuff. Not a speed guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2002 was before the stupid plugs that break when you try to remove them. Also before the crappy cam phasers. That being said, it won't win any races. It will do truck stuff and if you actually take care of it, should last a while.

Towing?  lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#17]
A Ford 5.4l truck is like a Nissan.

Friends don't let friends buy them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Towing?  lol
View Quote

Why u laf?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Towing?  lol
View Quote

Lot of miles towing with a 5.4.
3-7 k
Did ok, but always went for the diesels first, 6.0 Chevy's second, then the 5.4.

We had a E350, 5.4,  that hit almost 300k, and at least half that was towing 3-6k.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks again all.

Holding pattern for now, pretty clean for a 19 yo northeast truck. normal rust on rockers bottom of doors, frame looks surpisingly ok.
Manual lockers, small leak from rear seal maybe. Ran & shifted good.
Bottom dollar of $5200.

One thing I couldn't find was a transmission cooler ?,  Perhaps integral with the engine radiator ?

Pics of subject Ford.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#21]
2v 5.4 good.

3v 5.4 bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This year model, and the one you said you owned below, do not even HAVE cam phasers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
2v 5.4 good.

3v 5.4 bad.
View Quote

Don't follow..
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#24]
OP - the 5.4 2V is a very reliable engine.  Their biggest issue is blowing spark plugs, the cylinder heads don't have enough threads.  Lots of people put 300k miles on these without the issue, but its important to know.  Its not a big deal.

The later 3V 5.4 were a bit more problematic, because of variable cam timing (VCT) with phasers.  I own a 3V 5.4 with 170k on it, and even it is a very reliable engine once you know what to go through.

Get to know this guy.  Arfcom GD mechanics are a crapshoot.  

Ford 4.6L 5.4L 6.8L 2v Engines Blown Out Spark Plug Repair: Permanently Fixed in About 15 Minutes!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Don't follow..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2v 5.4 good.

3v 5.4 bad.

Don't follow..

2 valves per cylinder are the early 5.4's up to 2004.  Some 2004's still had the 2V.... but thats when the 3V 5.4 was introduced into the F series line.  People love to hate on the 3V because the spark plugs went from blowing out to impossible to remove due to a cylinder head redesign.  Also, the cam phasers in the 3V only last around 100k miles if you follow manufacturer oil change intervals or longer, they had a defect in timing chain tensioner seals, and these engines typically need the timing system (cam phasers, chain, tensioners, sometimes roller followers as well) replaced around 150k miles.

An F250 with a 5.4 2V ain't gonna win any races, but it will last a long time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#26]
How much is the truck?
How much might one expect to pay for a 6.2 gas engine from a junkyard/totaled truck?
Is this a reasonable swap?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

2 valves per cylinder are the early 5.4's up to 2004.  Some 2004's still had the 2V.... but thats when the 3V 5.4 was introduced into the F series line.  People love to hate on the 3V because the spark plugs went from blowing out to impossible to remove due to a cylinder head redesign.  Also, the cam phasers in the 3V only last around 100k miles if you follow manufacturer oil change intervals or longer, they had a defect in timing chain tensioner seals, and these engines typically need the timing system (cam phasers, chain, tensioners, sometimes roller followers as well) replaced around 150k miles.

An F250 with a 5.4 2V ain't gonna win any races, but it will last a long time.
View Quote

TY
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why u laf?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Towing?  lol

Why u laf?
I don't mean to be flippant, well yes I do.  But those engines have a hard enough time carrying the truck itself around.  They're weak and unreliable with groceries in the back, I can only imagine that towing anything more than a lawn mower would accelerate the issues.  

It's a roll of the dice like any used vehicle, but the odds are markedly worse with a 5.4
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big a camper trailer?  They are not a good towing truck
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a 2003 F250 with the 5.4. Drove that thing all over the country. The only issue it ever had was it burned a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Dealer said that was in spec. Otber than that it was flawless.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#31]
The 2 valve 5.4 is much better than the 3 valves that came in 04 and after.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks again all.

Holding pattern for now, pretty clean for a 19 yo northeast truck. normal rust on rockers bottom of doors, frame looks surpisingly ok.
Manual lockers, small leak from rear seal maybe. Ran & shifted good.
Bottom dollar of $5200.

One thing I couldn't find was a transmission cooler ?,  Perhaps integral with the engine radiator ?

Pics of subject Ford.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341059/sooperdooty_jpg-1790207.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341059/sooperdutycab_jpg-1790210.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341059/sooperdootytg_jpg-1790211.JPG
View Quote

How are the truck bed rails?  Look underneath the bed from the wheel wells, use a flashlight to look down them
Exhaust looks to be replaced?  Did it rust out?

Look at the bottom of the doors and tailgate, the seams will collect salt and rust out

It isn’t a bad deal, but if you can, stretch to a higher mile southern 6.2l superduty. Much better
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't mean to be flippant, well yes I do.  But those engines have a hard enough time carrying the truck itself around.  They're weak and unreliable with groceries in the back, I can only imagine that towing anything more than a lawn mower would accelerate the issues.  

It's a roll of the dice like any used vehicle, but the odds are markedly worse with a 5.4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Towing?  lol

Why u laf?

All the while I tow a 6500lb camper all over with the 5.4.  Gearing matters, and I would not want to pull it through the rocky mountains, it will not yank it around like a diesel will.... but you act like its impossible.  It isn't.  Though I am sure if all you ever drive is a turbocharged diesel, you might feel this way.  But then, you could not pay me to own a Ford 6.0 or 6.4 POS.  He'd spend more than he paid for the truck in maintenance.  Now, if you argued to try and find a V10 gasser in that same year range, I'd agree, that steps you up from 260hp/350lbft to 310hp/425lbft.

The 6.2L gasser didn't enter the F250 until 2011, and a similar (crew cab, short bed, similar miles) 2011 model F250 with the 6.2 around here will be well over $20,000.  I know because I tried to find one, gave up, and kept my F150 with the 5.4.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Very reliable in my experience.

Only thing to worry about it it spitting a plug out but there is a fix for that. If they are torqued correctly and you check them if you ever start hearing a exhaust leak sound coming from the engine bay, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How are the truck bed rails?  Look underneath the bed from the wheel wells, use a flashlight to look down them
Exhaust looks to be replaced?  Did it rust out?

Look at the bottom of the doors and tailgate, the seams will collect salt and rust out

It isn’t a bad deal, but if you can, stretch to a higher mile southern 6.2l superduty. Much better
View Quote

The flares are hiding rust.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#36]
The rust is 100% worse than you think.  I repair about 3 of these per year because people bought the trucks a year or two ago and now it wont pass inspection.

Inner/outer rockers both sides is the common repair.  Average ticket is around $4500.  The aftermarket no longer supports certain cabs(supercab?), so must buy OEM uniside to get the rockers.

Bed crossmembers are usually rotted to the point beds are only 50% attached to the truck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd rock that. Those are ok engines. The turning radius is about like an oil tanker. Rust is the biggest problem on those. The exhaust studs rust or break off and it's pretty annoying to hear and fix. Don't worry about the plug thing, it doesn't strand the truck and if you fix them all stops forever.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Great way to spend your vacation.
broke down waiting for a tow.
been there, done that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This year model, and the one you said you owned below, do not even HAVE cam phasers.
View Quote

This is GD.  

Expect the mentally handicapped.

I have 280k on a 5.4 2v before it got tired.  Still use it as a beater
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All the while I tow a 6500lb camper all over with the 5.4.  Gearing matters, and I would not want to pull it through the rocky mountains, it will not yank it around like a diesel will.... but you act like its impossible.  It isn't.  Though I am sure if all you ever drive is a turbocharged diesel, you might feel this way.  But then, you could not pay me to own a Ford 6.0 or 6.4 POS.  He'd spend more than he paid for the truck in maintenance.  Now, if you argued to try and find a V10 gasser in that same year range, I'd agree, that steps you up from 260hp/350lbft to 310hp/425lbft.

The 6.2L gasser didn't enter the F250 until 2011, and a similar (crew cab, short bed, similar miles) 2011 model F250 with the 6.2 around here will be well over $20,000.  I know because I tried to find one, gave up, and kept my F150 with the 5.4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Towing?  lol

Why u laf?

I towed a 1000lb enclosed uhaul trailer with a 750 lb motorcycle in it through the WV mountains (I77) 1200 miles round trip...with a Honda Fit with a CVT.  I was told at the time the towing capacity of the Fit with the CVT was zero lbs (although I think the European standard allows for 1500lbs).  Just because something works once or twice doesn't make it a good idea.  I'm not saying the truck physically can't tow anything, I'm saying those engines are unreliable dogs.  Because they are.  No way will towing make matters better.

I have an IO AK that's 100% reliable.  I ran 11.04 on bias ply slicks with a factory T-5 in a foxbody (in case you're unfamiliar most people break those on street tires with a 13 second car).  It's all statistics, some stuff breaks some stuff doesn't.  The odds on a 5.4 are lower than I would accept if I was spending thousands of dollars though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I guess I'll be the outlier here. My workplace has a fleet of f250s, and most of them are 5.4 liters.

They pull 7-10k lbs all summer, and push snow all winter. They are far from babied, most are rusting to pieces, but the engines keep on going. Moat have had to get the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced, but they don't die.
View Quote

The 2V motors weren't powerhouses but were pretty solid otherwise.  The 4.6 in particular was a tank.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OP - the 5.4 2V is a very reliable engine.  Their biggest issue is blowing spark plugs, the cylinder heads don't have enough threads.  Lots of people put 300k miles on these without the issue, but its important to know.  Its not a big deal.

The later 3V 5.4 were a bit more problematic, because of variable cam timing (VCT) with phasers.  I own a 3V 5.4 with 170k on it, and even it is a very reliable engine once you know what to go through.

Get to know this guy.  Arfcom GD mechanics are a crapshoot.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_HQcZZEpM
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#43]
So to summarize all of the replies: Spend more money. If your truck didn’t cost as much as a house, you are doomed.

Ignore that crap. Every vehicle will break at some point. Visit the Toyota dealer, they have mechanics fixing broken trucks too. Don’t tell GD that. They all live in fantasy land.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So to summarize all of the replies: Spend more money. If your truck didn't cost as much as a house, you are doomed.

Ignore that crap. Every vehicle will break at some point. Visit the Toyota dealer, they have mechanics fixing broken trucks too. Don't tell GD that. They all live in fantasy land.
View Quote
Or spend the same money on a truck with an engine that isn't a pile of fuck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
5.4's are fucking trash.

View Quote

Had one for a few months. One plug blew out and it was sold soon after. Fuck Ford in their fucking face.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#46]
We have an 05 5.4 l 3v with 221000 miles. I love the damn thing. I replaced all plugs when I bought it with 108k miles. I did replace cam phasers, timing chain, tensioners and oil pump when it hit 165k and started the "diesel sound". I run 5w-30 with only ford oil filters. One of the best suv's I have owned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top