BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't kid yourself, Lucas got his anti-gun digs in with that comment from Obi-Won.

Oh, come on. He was tying in with "Not as clumsy or random as a blaster" from ANH.

Let's not be like the Liberals and find a political underscore to this thing. It's a simple story. Enjoy it.

I actually chuckled at the points where the Libs claim there was some uber-prescient political point. If that's the best they can do, then they really ARE blinded by their hatred. I'm glad I have a life, unlike them.

What do you mean the lib's,
Its the Lib's that filled this film with subliminal anti Bush messages!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
They had "Attack of the Clones" on TV last night.  I quit watching it with 1/2 to go.  Piss poor acting and writing.

No Star Wars III for me.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What do you mean the lib's,
Its the Lib's that filled this film with subliminal anti Bush messages!

If you want to thinks so....

Frankly, if they DID do so on purpose, it was the WEAKEST attempt I've ever seen in my life...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They had "Attack of the Clones" on TV last night.  I quit watching it with 1/2 to go.  Piss poor acting and writing.

No Star Wars III for me.

I saw that, and almost puked, too.

Believe me, SWIII is MUCH better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw the movie and rather enjoyed it, but had my own issues as well:

* Poor Acting - The thing is, most of these actors have enough experience and have done good movies.  I've even seen Hayden in some movie they dredged up now that he's famous, and his acting there is at least "after school special" quality which is better than I can say for his acting in SW.  I'm inclined to believe the "poor acting" is the result of Lucas having too much control over dialog and just piss-poor editing.  My opinion is that Ewan McGregor carried the movie as far as acting goes.

* Special Weapons , er, Effects - If there's one thing Lucas does well, it's FX.  But I also think he doesn't know when to stop.  From the "every square inch packed with something" space battles to the "light sabers moving so fast it's almost a blur (but we'll zoom in real close so you can see the spittle coming out of their mouths)" saber duels.  He just doesn't know when to tone down the effects for the sake of the story.

* Chancellor whacks 3 Jedi in like 3 seconds - So we have 4 Jedi come to arrest the Chancellor, all armed with the saber at the ready and he manages to take out three without so much as a clash of sabers?  Too convenient for me.

* Anakin choose the darkside along with orange juice for breakfast - Anakins fall to the darkside felt so unconvincing it was no more thrilling than if he had to choose paper or plastic.

* Darth Vader's "Noooooooo" - Ugh!  I think I giggled when he did that.

However, all said and done, I still walked out with goosebumps.  It was a very good movie for what it's meant to be and tied everything up as well as it could.  I didn't go in expecting much from Lucas, so his failures didn't really detract from the overall movie.  I've loved the Star Wars series since I was a little kid when EP4 came out and even though these don't really measure up, I like them in their own cute way.  The funny thing was, the most powerful scene in the whole movie (to me anyway), was taken right out of EP4.  The very last scene when Owen and Beru are standing with the twin sunset in the background with the same music from EP4 was a beautiful touch.

LL
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Anakin used the "force" to help/compensate with his age difference .....

I'd like to use the "force" on Natalie Portman.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Revenge of the Shit, fuck for 113 miliion high school kids could come up with something a hell of a lot better. What a joke. The outfitting of vader was rofl,and I think in one fight scene in a chamber yoda and palpatine on the floor to the bottom left I swear i saw a cardboard cutout of a droid body part outlined in black, i shit you not i saw it twice.I was thinking wtf.Cheap ass lucas
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Err it was something like this as far as the age differences.

Amidala was 12 and Anakin was 8 in the first one, ten years later they were 18 and 22, by the third they were 20 and 24.

In Lucas Eyes Portman was semi convincing as twelve when she was 15, and semi convincing for 20 when she was 18.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think some of you forget that Lucas makes these movies for kids. They don't care about the dialog or the reality of the love scenes. They are there for the action. I thought episode 3 was better then 1 and 2, but my kids really liked them all. I think if we were kids again, like most of us were when we watched 4,5, and 6, we would of really like them too.

Bingo!

I daresay if we (thirty-somethings) were seeing IV, V, & VI now - for the first time - we'd probably be just as harsh as we've been on I & II, as well.

I really liked III - YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Geesh you people are hard to satisfy. I liked them all except Jar-Jar.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think some of you forget that Lucas makes these movies for kids. They don't care about the dialog or the reality of the love scenes. They are there for the action. I thought episode 3 was better then 1 and 2, but my kids really liked them all. I think if we were kids again, like most of us were when we watched 4,5, and 6, we would of really like them too.

Bingo!

I daresay if we (thirty-somethings) were seeing IV, V, & VI now - for the first time - we'd probably be just as harsh as we've been on I & II, as well.

I really liked III - YMMV.

This is key! Lucas loved those sci-fi serials from the 40's and those were FULL of cheese. Same thing here. He made these for the FUN of movies. You guys watch too much Private Ryan and Band of Brothers and you forgot how to relax and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#13]
A graphic, drawn-out, nasty, moisture-laden, sex scene between Anakin and Padme Armadillo(sp? ) would have brought me to the theaters.  Twice even.  Maybe three times if popcorn was free.      
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I think the difference is that the Episode IV cheese was not intentional, but the side effect of making the type of movie he did.  I don't think he tried to make it cheesy, but let it happen when it did.  To this day, this makes the originals "fun" in their own way.

Now, it just feels like it's forced on you.  Like they are trying to act badly.  I can just imagine Lucas behind the camera saying "No no no, less emotion, more cheese.  Don't be convincing, be cheesy!".  That crappy dialog and stiff acting doesn't make you think of your old Saturday morning matinees.  It makes you feel like he thinks you're an idiot that will drink up whatever piss he offers you.  I know that sounds harsh, but I do believe his style has changed.

He still makes a fun movie.  But I guess because I'm older, I sometimes feel like my intelligence is being insulted whereas my inner child could care less.  I say "How could he kill 3 Jedi that fast?", but my inner child says "Did you see how fast he killed those 3 Jedi?  Badass!!"

LL
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

* Poor Acting - The thing is, most of these actors have enough experience and have done good movies.  I've even seen Hayden in some movie they dredged up now that he's famous, and his acting there is at least "after school special" quality which is better than I can say for his acting in SW.  I'm inclined to believe the "poor acting" is the result of Lucas having too much control over dialog and just piss-poor editing.  My opinion is that Ewan McGregor carried the movie as far as acting goes.
The movie is not about the acting

* Special Weapons , er, Effects - If there's one thing Lucas does well, it's FX.  But I also think he doesn't know when to stop.  From the "every square inch packed with something" space battles to the "light sabers moving so fast it's almost a blur (but we'll zoom in real close so you can see the spittle coming out of their mouths)" saber duels.  He just doesn't know when to tone down the effects for the sake of the story.
No argument

* Chancellor whacks 3 Jedi in like 3 seconds - So we have 4 Jedi come to arrest the Chancellor, all armed with the saber at the ready and he manages to take out three without so much as a clash of sabers?  Too convenient for me.
This is because the chancellor is really Darth Siddeous the Dark Lord. Not to mention, in ROTJ, Luke - who is the baddest mutha fuckin jedi there ever was can't even defeat Darth Siddeous and his father has to save him. So when you think about that, then Palpatine taking out 3 jedi in one swoop is pretty beleivable. Also, Mace Windu? was it - Palpatine could have had him for breakfast, but he played annakin to get him to turn to the darkside and let himself almost get sabred. That part was pretty cool.

* Anakin choose the darkside along with orange juice for breakfast - Anakins fall to the darkside felt so unconvincing it was no more thrilling than if he had to choose paper or plastic.
There is much more to his turning than what is in the movie. But they did hint at alot of it, maybe you missed it

Ok, that was kind of lame, but then again the whole series is a rip off from 1930's serials

However, all said and done, I still walked out with goosebumps.  It was a very good movie for what it's meant to be and tied everything up as well as it could.  I didn't go in expecting much from Lucas, so his failures didn't really detract from the overall movie.  I've loved the Star Wars series since I was a little kid when EP4 came out and even though these don't really measure up, I like them in their own cute way.  The funny thing was, the most powerful scene in the whole movie (to me anyway), was taken right out of EP4.  The very last scene when Owen and Beru are standing with the twin sunset in the background with the same music from EP4 was a beautiful touch.

LL

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
To me the original movies were more believable (except for the darned ewoks).  Even though it was often campy, it worked.  The characters seemed so much more natural (in their own setting).

Episodes I, II, and III feel much more forced.  Hayden Christiansen is not believable.  I learned to just accept what happened as part of the plot, but he seemed too unnatural in his role, too forced.  Most of the actors seemed to suffer this same problem.  They felt too unnatural in their environment.

Even Yoda felt wrong in the most recent movies.  The muppet was a better actor.  The old Yoda was someone that could inspire both children and adults.  This new Yoda could only inspire children.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#17]

I don't want to start a s@#$storm, but did anyone else notice some particularly liberal-sounding undertones in some of the scenes, especially during the senate meeting?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

About the acting?  No, but acting is an integral part of the movie.  If the characters aren't believeable (in their setting), the movie will suffer for it.

No argument

This is because the chancellor is really Darth Siddeous the Dark Lord. Not to mention, in ROTJ, Luke - who is the baddest mutha fuckin jedi there ever was can't even defeat Darth Siddeous and his father has to save him. So when you think about that, then Palpatine taking out 3 jedi in one swoop is pretty beleivable. Also, Mace Windu? was it - Palpatine could have had him for breakfast, but he played annakin to get him to turn to the darkside and let himself almost get sabred. That part was pretty cool.

Luke was not the baddest jedi ever.  Palpatine got the better of Luke because Luke didn't know about the force-lightning thing and had already tossed aside his light saber.  It really had very little to do with how advanced Luke was in the Jedi arts.

There is much more to his turning than what is in the movie. But they did hint at alot of it, maybe you missed it
No, I think we got it.  It just suffered from poor screen-writing, scripting, and acting.

Ok, that was kind of lame, but then again the whole series is a rip off from 1930's serials
Again, the acting felt forced and unnatural, and the movie suffered for it.

LL

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't seen it yet...have to see if it is as good as ROTJ...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Anakin used the "force" to help/compensate with his age difference .....

I'd like to use the "force" on Natalie Portman.

You will have to be the ultimate lib to get in those pants.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Did anybody else pick up while watching SW3 that Anikan father is the Emperor?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Did anybody else pick up while watching SW3 that Anikan father is the Emperor?

What gave you that impression?  The whole "Midichlorian" thing may have been made up by Palpatine to manipulate Anakin.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#23]
If you were listening to the  movie as the Emperor was talking about his master that he killed in his sleep. He spoke of having learned everything that his master knew, including manipulating midicholrian to create life.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Not to mention, in ROTJ, Luke - who is the baddest mutha fuckin jedi there ever was can't even defeat Darth Siddeous and his father has to save him.

Luke was nowhere near the baddest Jedi ever. One of the most potentially powerful sure but he wasn't fully trained. I'd say Mace Windu was one of the best combatants ever, along with Yoda (and of course Anakin).

BTW, I'm talking about the movies - in the books, 25 years after ROTJ Luke is indeed a badass.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

LL

Some people wonder how Jackson's character was able to get the Emperor into a vulnerable position.  I believe the Emperor allowed it, since he knew Anakin was coming.  His dark force abilities allowed him to know Anakin's emotional state and location, as proven by a later scene where he leaves to go to the lava planet to help Anakin after Anakin's fight with Obi-Wan.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#26]
What I cant understand is when Yoda was winning, he hesitated to kill, and ennded up running away.

When Obi Wan had Anikan down. He didn't give him a shove into the lava.

You don't leave your enemies alive and injured and expect them to die, or run away and lick their wounds never seeing them again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

About the acting?  No, but acting is an integral part of the movie.  If the characters aren't believeable (in their setting), the movie will suffer for it.

No argument

Luke was not the baddest jedi ever.  Palpatine got the better of Luke because Luke didn't know about the force-lightning thing and had already tossed aside his light saber.  It really had very little to do with how advanced Luke was in the Jedi arts.

No, I think we got it.  It just suffered from poor screen-writing, scripting, and acting.

Again, the acting felt forced and unnatural, and the movie suffered for it.

LL

Yoda was the baddest of the Jedi and still almost got killed.  Darth Vader could have become the baddest of the Sith, had he not repented at the end of RoTJ.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top