Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Screw Windows altogether and go Linux...
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A) Morrowind/Flashpoint guy:

First of all, Virtual Memory should allways be set to 2x physical memory... So yours should probably be (256-64)x2=384mb (assuming you have a typical Dell with on-motherboard video & 256MB RAM...

Dell is famous for selling the PC equivalent of a 'Yugo with a Chevy 350 motor'...

They put a blazing-fast P4 in a box of pure crap, so the user thinks they have a speedy box. You WILL have a 5400RPM hard drive, and unless you see 'GeForce' or 'Radeon' somewhere in your Device Manager, your video card (probably made by [puke] Intel) should be just barely able to manage Half Life 1 (vintage 1998)....

Unless properly 'optioned up', [b]no major brand box is resonably game-capable[/b]... They expect people to just buy based on Mhz, and so they offload their old inventory on people who think 300 more Mhz is worth more than a 7200RPM hard disk and a nVidia graphics board...

B) All you folks with old prehistoric PCs...

If anyone has an ATX-case PC and wants a faster system, I have an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with VIA KT400 motherboard (the board can take upto a 3000+, IIRC) that I no longer need... You'd need to buy new RAM ('DDR' memory is faster than (and incompatible with) SDRAM and RAMBUS memory), but it would work with your existing Case/PS/drives & cards... IM me if you want it, make a reasonable offer...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#3]
My kids PC is running 98...

An old Gateway.

PII 300 with 96 meg RAM
Plays her toddler games great!

Only have to reformat anually!

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#4]
i have it on an old laptop
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I do.  I'm afraid to upgrade...I'm sure I'll screw something up and render my PC useless!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Ah the joys of Mac....  honest to goodness, I was sitting here reading the thread topic, trying to recall what a Winchester '98 was. lmao
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get this for antiquated:

AMD K6III/450MHz
64MB EDO RAM
6GB HD
16x CD-ROM
ATI Rage w/8MB RAM
56K Modem but installed a USB 2.0 card so I can use the cablemodem:  The motherboard won't handle the 2.0, so I'm stuck with 1.1 data rate!
View Quote

Just get some more RAM, I am sure that motherboard supports at least 256 megs, get rid of the 56K modem, it just takes up ressources. connect your cable modem to a network card instead. With a 450Mhz CPU and 256 megs of RAM, you could comfortably run WXP. By all means, get rid of WME. Either up (XP) or down (98SE). Or sideways: Linux.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw this thread, and could not belive that enough guys had Winchester 98s to fill 3 pages.  It didn't even cross my mind that you were talking about a stupid computer program.
[img]http://www.thecannonstore.com/history/patent_side.gif[/img]
The 10 gauge, Winchester Model 98 Breech Loading Signal Cannon was designed and patented by Charles H. Griffith for the Winchester Repeating Arms Company in 1901. The cannon debuted for sale in the March 1903 Winchester Catalog. In addition to the Standard Black Model, Winchester added a Chrome Plated Model in the 1930's. The cannon was manufactured at Winchester's facility in New Haven, Connecticut until 1958.
View Quote

You can buy one [url=http://www.thecannonstore.com/products.asp?lineID=W98]here[/url].

Ya bunch of computer geeks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get this for antiquated:

AMD K6III/450MHz
64MB EDO RAM
6GB HD
16x CD-ROM
ATI Rage w/8MB RAM
56K Modem but installed a USB 2.0 card so I can use the cablemodem:  The motherboard won't handle the 2.0, so I'm stuck with 1.1 data rate!
View Quote

Just get some more RAM, I am sure that motherboard supports at least 256 megs, get rid of the 56K modem, it just takes up ressources. connect your cable modem to a network card instead. With a 450Mhz CPU and 256 megs of RAM, you could comfortably run WXP. By all means, get rid of WME. Either up (XP) or down (98SE). Or sideways: Linux.
View Quote

Correct, Kar, except for the WinXP part...

#1 rule of MS OS selection: NEVER run any OS on a PC that was made before the OS was released.

The only exception to this is situations like DOS -> Win95 where the hardware design is way ahead of the 'os-of-the-day'... This hasn't happened since Win95, though (MS has needed that annual-to semianual OS release fix, so the OS is usually ahead of the hardware)...

The 'newest' OS you should have on a K6-series is Win98SE or NT4... Definately not XP...

WinXP was designed for (regardless of what MS says) 1ghz & up systems... It will run on slower hardware, but the 'idea' behind the release was (a) get MS their 'release fix', and (b) toss a bone to the OEMs - people will inevitably upgrade to XP on slow-ass machines, and when they realize their system is SLOWER with the new OS, they finally go buy a new one...

Finally, the 'throw RAM at it' solution was fine for the period when hardware was lightyears ahead of software (1ghz... What ever will we use it for), but at the present it's not worth wasting money on RAM...

RAM for old machines (esp K6/PII) costs more than RAM for new machines, and the performance hike is minimal since it's the CPU & motherboar bus that are making the machine slow...

As for USB speeds, USB 1.1 is about 8-12x faster than your cablemodem. However, USB is the absolute WORST way to connect anything 'fancier' than a printer or scanner... As Kar said, get that cablemodem on a NIC pronto...

Also, when you do this, UN INSTALL ALL THE SOFTWARE THE CABLE CO GAVE YOU... And check for spyware/viruses, you probably have PLENTY (this stuff really ties up your PC... www.lavasoftusa.com (AdAware) and there's another program called 'SpyBot SD' that works real well too)...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Dave, I'm running WXP comfortably on a K6 II 450 with 192 megs of RAM in one room, and my own computer is built around a motherboard first offered in 1998, the Asus P2B. Sucks for games, especially the first one, but perfect for Web design and desktop publishing. Which is what I do on them mostly.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I do.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top