Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
More to this story, unless your the dumbest MF in the world or you have some mental illness you just don't unintentionally forget about a ticket. I suppose a cop could have wrote down a wrong SSN number for a different person but the odds of that are like winning the lottery.

I currently have a misdemeanor warrant out of Texas.  It was issued in June 2003.  Want to know how I found out about it?  I was coming home from Cancun in 2009 with my wife.  When I went through customs in Miami I was pulled aside for it.  They let me go, but I never had any idea I had it.  I moved from TX to AZ in January '03 and they didn't issue the warrant until June '03.  6 years before I found out about it.

I guess I'll start another thread on it.  Don't want to hijack this one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cop never read me my rights in the arrest.  maybe he forgot. my wife just pointed that out. maybe he was distracted or something but im still not going to use it to try to get out of anything. I have a clean history with the law so im doubting a judge will really hammer me over this.

Why, why God do people believe that everyone that gets arrested must be "read their rights"? WHY?

what we are all lead to believe by tv shows i guess?  apparently i didn't pay one of my tickets ad i am a stand up citizen ottherwise so im not really looking for a loop hole. I just thought they had to do that.  maybe not.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cop never read me my rights in the arrest.  maybe he forgot. my wife just pointed that out. maybe he was distracted or something but im still not going to use it to try to get out of anything. I have a clean history with the law so im doubting a judge will really hammer me over this.

Why, why God do people believe that everyone that gets arrested must be "read their rights"? WHY?

TV.

Victor - glad that you are OK.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what we are all lead to believe by tv shows i guess?  apparently i didn't pay one of my tickets ad i am a stand up citizen ottherwise so im not really looking for a loop hole. I just thought they had to do that.  maybe not.

no they dont have too, you had a warrant so all they had to do was arrest you. no need to question you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He only has to read you your rights if he is going to question you after you were taken into custody.

If he did question you after he cuffed, then it is all inadmissible. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
More to this story, unless your the dumbest MF in the world or you have some mental illness you just don't unintentionally forget about a ticket. I suppose a cop could have wrote down a wrong SSN number for a different person but the odds of that are like winning the lottery.

Wouldnt be Arfcom unless some jackass know it all showed up. Well done.

Surly you can't be that naive you believe what everyone says or types. Just because you might think that afcom is full of good ole buddies and people that are of the utmost moral character doesn't always make it so.

But the OP's explanation doesn't leave doubt, dumb yes but it seems like something that could happen.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldnt be Arfcom unless some jackass know it all showed up. Well done.

Surly you can't be that naive you believe what everyone says or types on the Internet. Just because you might think that afcom is full of good ole buddies and people that are of the utmost moral character doesn't always make it so.

But the OP's explanation doesn't leave doubt, dumb yes but it seems like something that could happen.
yeah id call bullshit if it wasn't me that it happened to. but it was.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#8]
i think the worst thing about it is i was coming back from a scouting mission from a hometown arfcomer of a good dove hunting spot. I was gonna head back out to bag some birds and that got ruined.  place was prime hunting too. dove everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't worry too much about it, these things are easy to take care of.

It happens A LOT.

I know one shitbag who has been picked up on driving while suspended multiple times, and is still able to somehow avoid any real charges, etc.

You'll be able to get it taken care of.  It will be a pain in the ass, but it won't have any long term detrimental effects.

Glad everyone is okay, and I'm glad the cop was a good one.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, you dropped 33.333% in my estimation.  

Driving on a suspended license, and the Miranda rights thing.  Give us a break.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, hate it for you, but I have to ask:

Why were you driving around on a suspended license?  That's just crazy stupid.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's because driving without a license is a slam dunk charge, he doesn't need anything you say to get a conviction in fact it could only hurt his case. You were in the car and driving, he has witnesses to prove that and DMV records will show your suspended.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IMO the only people that should be in jail are those that are a danger to society or have a proven track record of violent crime.

Those with unpaid tickets or bench warrants, or any other crime which is not an act against a persons life and liberty don't need to be sitting in jail and deprived of rights and liberties. That includes those that must stay in jail awaiting trial because they cannot afford an amount of cash bail or bond - especially when they aren't being tried for violent crimes.

But that's just my opinion

The problem with that is that those bench warrants for "unpaid tickets" is actually a "Failure to Appear" as PROMISED. So they're supposed to take them at their word again?

Part of the OP's problem is that here in AZ, driver's licenses don't have to be renewed until you turn age 65. So if you don't update the DL when you move, they can really lose you!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you been driving on a suspended operators license for four years?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Man, hate it for you, but I have to ask:

Why were you driving around on a suspended license?  That's just crazy stupid.

Hell, the same thing happened to my Dad.  He got a photo radar ticket, sent in the "card" saying it wasn't him and never heard anything else.  Thought it was all good until he got in a wreck.  That's when he found out his license was suspended.  Very similar to the OP, except he'd lived at the same place for 15 years.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
You know how you could have avoided this whole thing? By not breaking the law driving with a suspended license.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear that, brother. We all do stupid stuff when we're young. I know I had tickets and stuff, even a warrant for FTA for a trespassing charge (booked and released, then the property owner decided to press charges a couple months later and I never got the notice because I moved). Folks around here try to act as though you're a total dirtbag if you get a speeding ticket, but nowdays it's pretty hard to get through a week without breaking some law and if you screw one thing up a domino effect jacks you up on a bunch of other things. I'm glad you're all okay and I hope everything works out well for you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#18]
are you a moron?  i can't tell yet

Quoted:

You know how you could have avoided this whole thing? By not breaking the law driving with a suspended license.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Criminal

See, this is what happens when we have so many laws; _A criminal is made.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't know the OP's situation and neither do you. I seriously doubt that he woke up one day and decided it would be a great idea to drive on a suspended license, but shit happens, and bills pile up, and when you have to choose between putting food in your childrens' belly or paying off court fines and the like, you do what you have to do and pray you get things resolved before things like this happen.

Our legal system is a fucked up, revenue-generating, governmental abortion that is less about correcting it's subjects behavior than paying it's salary.

Three years ago I got notice from the DOT that they were yanking my license because I had fallen behind on my child support while unemployed. It's kind of hard to find and keep a job so you can pay what you owe, without a license, but that doesn't matter. Did I drive on a suspended until I could repay the back support? Yup. Do I loose sleep that I did that? Nope.

I will never blame anyone for my problems, and the OP is not doing that either. But to act like he doesn't live up to your expectations of a good citizen or is a garden variety puke because he had a suspended license is fucking retarded. You should get out of your glass house more often.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Criminal

You're just pissed you didn't get to cuff him!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, sounds like a pretty shitty day to me. Hopefully tomorrow is better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Criminal

You're just pissed you didn't get to cuff him!

Hardy har harr
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#24]
"I hurt everywhere, and I cant make any statements, officer."  

will help you out if its the judges daughter that rear ends you, or a cops buddy or something.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because most people don't have a law degree.

Also, it's one of those things that everybody "knows", they "have" to read you your rights.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm glad no one was hurt and your kids were not in the car.

Man up and handle your business.

I've had a driver's license for 44 years and it was never suspended.

Not a lot of sympathy here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#27]
to all the people thinking i was driving suspended knowingl... kiss my ass. I am the most law abiding citizen you know of.  the original charge the cop showed me was failure to yeild. I remember the ticket but don't remember paying it. I have no excuse for not paying it.

never got shit in the mail about it. turned into a ench warrant and suspended license. haven't gotten pulled over since then. got in an accident. caught a case for it.

not looking for smpathy on the charge or blaming anyone else or the system for it. I broke the law and i gotta pay for it.  Just sharing my shitty day to vent.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
to all the people thinking i was driving suspended knowingl... kiss my ass. I am the most law abiding citizen you know of.  the original charge the cop showed me was failure to yeild. I remember the ticket but don't remember paying it. I have no excuse for not paying it.

never got shit in the mail about it. turned into a ench warrant and suspended license. haven't gotten pulled over since then. got in an accident. caught a case for it.

not looking for smpathy on the charge or blaming anyone else or the system for it. I broke the law and i gotta pay for it.  Just sharing my shitty day to vent.

There are some fucking dicks on here tonight Victor.

It's a shitty situation but I hope that everything works out for you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are some fucking dicks on here tonight Victor.

It's a shitty situation but I hope that everything works out for you and your family.

it will. everyone is health just a few scrapes and worst case scenario is i getthe most dickhead judge on the planet and spend a few days in the tents.  all i know is that i am a different driver than i was so this kinda thing wont happen again in the future. haven't got a ticket in over four years and this will all just be a thing of the past when it is done with.  i will miss m honda though. 225 thousand miles of awesome bumper stickers gone. then again i have alwas wanted a truck. mabe this is a sign to get one.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Did the cop question you about your citizenship?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

you are a fucking moron.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are a fucking moron.

Local LE have no reason to be asking this question but you guys do stuff different in Arizona, I thought I would ask.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

you are a fucking moron.

Local LE have no reason to be asking this question but you guys do stuff different in Arizona, I thought I would ask.  

why don't you stay the fuck in the ca forum and out of arizona's business since you don't live here.

and while you are at it, why don't you check up on the illegal immigration laws in california.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

nope i have a state drivers license. makes it illegal to do so.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:42:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You know how you can avoid sounding like an idiot? Keeping unwarranted, retard comments to yourself...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the honest answer instead of calling me a moron.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

you are a fucking moron.

why don't you stay the fuck in the ca forum and out of arizona's business since you don't live here.

and while you are at it, why don't you check up on the illegal immigration laws in california.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i was being honest also.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Should have told them you was an illegal alien.

They would have given you a ride home and no charges.

THIS. Only Taxpayers are sucker enough for paying. Why do you think tickets and jail cost so much? Passing on the costs to the ones who will pay. The same thing happens in hospitals, insurance companies, and any other business forced into higher costs since so many don't obey the rules and our government and media help them do it. Income redistribution - just another form.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was the driver at fault insured?

Were they legal?

Quoted:

THIS

With a name like Gonzales you speak some Spanish, right?

driver was a woman who wasn't paying attention. i was listening from the back of the cop car before we went to jail as the cop told her she was full of shit because the lines had fluid and the breaks were working and she was at fault.

im sure the car will be payed for but a 94 civic blue books around 1500 and i doubt the insurance company will pay the difference in the new motor i put in it so ill probably take a loss on that one. no big deal.

If you have the paperwork for the new motor the insurance company should take that into account- at least allstate did with one of my family's cars. They said if we found the paperwork for the trans. rebuild they would tack on more money (i honestly can't remember how much it was- but at least a few hundred as it was very recently rebult)- thankfully we found the work bill. Good luck.

This isn't your insurance company paying for your car, this is theirs. This is a whole different ball game. Any car with a new motor and working A/C is worth way more than $1500 in this economy. Esp a Honda. Send them some comparables and add value to it for the new motor plus 10% cause they suck and will try to low ball you. Submit the offer and don't budge.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was the driver at fault insured?

Were they legal?

Quoted:

THIS

With a name like Gonzales you speak some Spanish, right?

driver was a woman who wasn't paying attention. i was listening from the back of the cop car before we went to jail as the cop told her she was full of shit because the lines had fluid and the breaks were working and she was at fault.

im sure the car will be payed for but a 94 civic blue books around 1500 and i doubt the insurance company will pay the difference in the new motor i put in it so ill probably take a loss on that one. no big deal.

If you have the paperwork for the new motor the insurance company should take that into account- at least allstate did with one of my family's cars. They said if we found the paperwork for the trans. rebuild they would tack on more money (i honestly can't remember how much it was- but at least a few hundred as it was very recently rebult)- thankfully we found the work bill. Good luck.

This isn't your insurance company paying for your car, this is theirs. This is a whole different ball game. Any car with a new motor and working A/C is worth way more than $1500 in this economy. Esp a Honda. Send them some comparables and add value to it for the new motor plus 10% cause they suck and will try to low ball you. Submit the offer and don't budge.

how do you not budge?  can i demand the car be fixed if they don't pay me what it is worth to replace it new motor and all? I paint at a body shop and the repair is probably 4-5 thousand dollars by quick estimate and the car isn't worth that much.  can't they tell me to pound sand?

also my wife says her neck is hurting and her arm  seatbelt left a wicked mark on her and she got hit by the door pretty hard.  does their insurance cover a chiropractor if she doesn't feel better tomorrow?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're the self proclaimed expert on SB1070.  Since you asked the question and didn't know the answer, what does that say about your "expert" status on SB1070?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

also my wife says her neck is hurting and her arm  seatbelt left a wicked mark on her and she got hit by the door pretty hard.  does their insurance cover a chiropractor if she doesn't feel better tomorrow?

Yeah, I'll get flamed for saying it, but you might want to think about talking to an attorney.  Not one of the TV guys, but a reputable local attorney.  Yes, it will cost you ~1/3 of what you get, but you'll probably get more than if you tried this on your own.  

DON'T SIGN ANYTHING from the other guys insurance co. and be careful what you say on the phone.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Back in the early 2000's, I was a state corrections officer in Jersey.  After having a fun day at the range, I was heading home a little to fast.  Got pulled over by a municipal police officer.  After he found out that I was a state C.O., he was gonna let me go.....until it came back over the radio that I had a warrant for my arrest  When he said those words..it scared the shit out of me.

Anyways, the cop was cool about it and told me to drive to the P.D. about two blocks away and he would follow me...even though I had a Glock 22, Ruger M-77 30.06 and a Colt HBAR in my truck
After arriving, he walked me in the station and said he had to cuff me to a chair since he was the only cop on duty.  At that point I still didn't have a fucking clue what this was all about.  It turns out that I got a parking ticket a few months back and I forgot to pay for it.  I was working nights and was pulling a lot of OT and simply forgot.  It was for $25.00 which was now $65.00 and a warrant.  He contacted my home town P.D. and they told him to let me go and just wanted for me to come pay it.  I couldn't get there fast enough to pay it!  

That whole situation fucking haunted me since I wanted to get into police work and I had to reveal that in my background check.  I felt like such a dick but shit happens.  I got hired on with a P.D. and was just released from F.T.O.

Pete
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'll get flamed for saying it, but you might want to think about talking to an attorney.  Not one of the TV guys, but a reputable local attorney.  Yes, it will cost you ~1/3 of what you get, but you'll probably get more than if you tried this on your own.  

DON'T SIGN ANYTHING from the other guys insurance co. and be careful what you say on the phone.
im not looking for a payout. that kinda crap just contributes to higher car insurance rates. just want the expenses paid that deserve to be payed through liability.  if that requires a lawyer then so be it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're the self proclaimed expert on SB1070.  Since you asked the question and didn't know the answer, what does that say about your "expert" status on SB1070?

I want to make sure no one is getting cute over there and violating the judge's orders.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to make sure no one is getting cute over there and violating the judge's orders.  

well if ou are an illegal immigrant you alread get hauled in for it. we just have to give them to ice who lets em walk most of the time. until the scotus case anways.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#49]
YES, if you can, write down what you remember, exactly as you remember it.

i was t-boned by a man in a truck as i was turning into a private drive from a public street. the man made the stop at the stop sign as he was preparing to stop and then enter the public street that i was turning off of. he saw me, as i was halfway through the turn, he decides to turn into me.

he had a fake insurance card, and OMG here on a registration card.

my insurance company ate the bill, but don't think they did not try to pin it on me.

they put in the claim record as the accident being "questionable".

so make sure you write down what happened, exactly as you remember it. light colors, traffic, yada yada and make sure you don't leave them an opportunity to make it your fault.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

OP, you dropped 33.333% in my estimation.  

Driving on a suspended license, and the Miranda rights thing.  Give us a break.

didn't know it was suspended and didn't mean anything y the miranda thing. I have never been charged with a crime so i honestly didn't know that cops didn't have to read you your rights.

give me my 33 % back damnit. internet is serious business and i want it back.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top