Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Mercedes gets my vote, second is BMW.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They were tanks compared to Jeeps, they held up VERY well in the real world and T/A's. Deep X fer cases are a bragging right and not much else UNLESS you rock crawl, a 2.72 to 1  is better then a 4 to 1 for almost everything else. They should have had a front locker option like the Rubi did, [and only the rubi] same for much of everything else, all the good stuff came on the Rubi [which I freely admit was a home run for jeep], not so for the rest of the jeep line to include the D44 axles.

FJC's had some teething issues but by the end, were pretty damn good.

I will 100% give Jeep one thing and that is an incredible accessory market and aftermarket. That and the fact they brought out the 4 door makes them pretty much untouchable. Sales were dropping on the two doors [which were 1000 times worse then the FJ 2 1/2 door setup]  but the 4 door model really made sales explode and saved the lineup.

I will say I liked ALL my FJ40s better then my FJC, they were crude, rude tanks and claimed to be nothing else then that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could've, should've,would've.

Didn't.

You mean a coil sprung SFA like a Wrangler? Maybe add lockers, dis connectable sway bars and deep transfer case like a Rubicon and they would have sold?

Sales were poor, 2nd row access was poor making the door pointless, too heavy, expensive to repair when they broke, minimal aftermarket support.  A Rubicon will go places that you will only get an FJC with a winch.

I like Toyota, I have had 3 and currently have one. I think the Rav4 is the best value in a small cross over on the market, the rest of the product line relies heavily on reputation and not real performance. The Tundra is a very nice 1/2 ton, but fuel mileage is dismal at best. The Tacoma has had more than it's share of problems aside from being suitable only to your average sized Jap they are decent trucks. The FRS is cool, grossly under powered but cool. Toyota largely rests on reputation and that only lasts so long.
They were tanks compared to Jeeps, they held up VERY well in the real world and T/A's. Deep X fer cases are a bragging right and not much else UNLESS you rock crawl, a 2.72 to 1  is better then a 4 to 1 for almost everything else. They should have had a front locker option like the Rubi did, [and only the rubi] same for much of everything else, all the good stuff came on the Rubi [which I freely admit was a home run for jeep], not so for the rest of the jeep line to include the D44 axles.

FJC's had some teething issues but by the end, were pretty damn good.

I will 100% give Jeep one thing and that is an incredible accessory market and aftermarket. That and the fact they brought out the 4 door makes them pretty much untouchable. Sales were dropping on the two doors [which were 1000 times worse then the FJ 2 1/2 door setup]  but the 4 door model really made sales explode and saved the lineup.

I will say I liked ALL my FJ40s better then my FJC, they were crude, rude tanks and claimed to be nothing else then that.
Yep, well at this point in the game it is moot because the FJC is toast.

And to return to the original point, the poster named "Jeep" as a value loss leader. A Wrangler exemplifies the Jeep brand and as such he is as wrong as he could possibly be. Even the Wranglers that are mall equipped hold their value, and the Rubicons certainly do. Everything else that FCA sells under the "Jeep" badge relies entirely on the reputation and real world performance of the Wrangler, not unlike Toyota relying on their historically strong performers.

In all honesty I have always liked the FJC styling, and was disappointed when they discontinued it. Maybe they will update it and improve off road capabilities , but I fear that if they did it would be unrealistically priced for use by the normal schmoe.

ETA: In challenging terrain there is no such thing as too deep a transfer case rock or no rock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Could've, should've,would've.

Didn't.

You mean a coil sprung SFA like a Wrangler? Maybe add lockers, dis connectable sway bars and deep transfer case like a Rubicon and they would have sold?

Sales were poor, 2nd row access was poor making the door pointless, too heavy, expensive to repair when they broke, minimal aftermarket support.  A Rubicon will go places that you will only get an FJC with a winch.

I like Toyota, I have had 3 and currently have one. I think the Rav4 is the best value in a small cross over on the market, the rest of the product line relies heavily on reputation and not real performance. The Tundra is a very nice 1/2 ton, but fuel mileage is dismal at best. The Tacoma has had more than it's share of problems aside from being suitable only to your average sized Jap they are decent trucks. The FRS is cool, grossly under powered but cool. Toyota largely rests on reputation and that only lasts so long.
View Quote
Toyota rests on reputation? Are you kidding me? The Wranger doesn't even have a good reputation. It lives solely on "'Murica! Fuck Yeah!". Toyota sold as many Tacomas in the US last year as Jeep sold Wranglers and people supposedly hate the new Tacoma. Then they have the Tundra. The 4Runner. The Highlander. The Rav4. The Camry. The Corolla. And that's just America. Worldwide they have the Land Cruiser in all it's beautiful forms. The Hilux. The Prado. And...the FJ Cruiser.

ETA: Oh, and let's not forget Lexus.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes and jaguar it seems. I wanted a Ghibi SQ4 and after one to two years it seems like it looses about 60%. Sad. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is true and it is the ONLY Chrysler product that holds its value.

Remember that the big 3 pay you to buy their cars (insane rebates for up to $10k and sometimes more). It's always cheaper to buy new and that kills resale on anything the big 3 make. I buy Toyota and it's very rare to get any rebates if any.
View Quote
Not the only Chrysler product.  My Power Wagon is 7 years old and books for what I paid for it when it was 2 years old.  It is holding its value very well.  The Challengers/Charges with the upgraded engine options seem to be holding their value, and the pickups with Cummins of course hold Their value.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Diesel yes, gassers nope.

FCA pickups leave the lot at prices ~15-20% cheaper than comparably equipped Fords and GMs, and their value slides from there.

They are cheaper for a reason.
View Quote
I did notice this.  When I was looking at new trucks years ago, it seemed RAM was the only one offering the features I wanted under $30k.

Ended up with a 2 year old F150, though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lamborghini?
View Quote
Not if you keep the miles low.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Aston Martins can be had surprisingly affordably,then the value plateaus where suckers who can't really afford to maintain them park them in hopes of reaching collector status

Kias losing a huge chunk isn't that big of a deal considering that a decade ago even nobody would expect a 5 year old one to be running,let alone have much value. On the other hand,Mercedes used to have rock solid resale but then again an old 300 or even 190 was still a great car at 5-10 years old. Now you're a little nuts to take on that awesome coupé that dropped $100k in 10 years.
View Quote
M's and AMG's depreciate like mad on account of the maintenance costs. I'll probably need to either move mine next year, or keep it forever.

I test drove an Aston Martin the other day. My M4 is more fun to drive, but there was a moment that will forever stick with me. I pulled up to a stoplight in the Aston with the smokin' hot blonde salesperson in the passenger seat. I looked to my right, and there was a guy in a minivan looking back at me. I realized that I was, for a brief, superficial snapshot in time, Living The Dream. It was kind of surreal. The light turned green, I gave him a nod, dropped a gear and disappeared.  
Then I went home and cried myself to sleep because I'm not trading off my M4 before I even get the damn title in mail, and the only reason the smokin' hot blonde was in the passenger seat was because she was trying to sell me the car. But for a moment, I was a god among men, and an inspiration to Minivan Guy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The more the vehicle is known for luxury (BMW, Mercedes, etc) the faster they tank in value due to other manufacturers catching up in luxury and amenities.

The more the vehicle is known for utility (pickup), the more they hold their value because the vehicle never really loses its ability to perform it's utilitarian function.

There are exceptions to the rule.  Lexus for example has such a high reliability ranking they really hold their value.  And on the inverse the RAM trucks tank in value faster than the Exxon Valdez for the exact same reason Lexus holds their value.  RAM is the definition of unreliable hot mess.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I did notice this.  When I was looking at new trucks years ago, it seemed RAM was the only one offering the features I wanted under $30k.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Diesel yes, gassers nope.

FCA pickups leave the lot at prices ~15-20% cheaper than comparably equipped Fords and GMs, and their value slides from there.

They are cheaper for a reason.

I went through this in the spring.

I was somewhat tempted by the incentives and pricing on the Ram, but there were just too many red flags...

So I bought a 3 year old F-150.

(There was a difference in options as well.)
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Italian cars have always been a labor of love.
There is nothing, like zero.point.zero, to love about Maserati. It's ironic that Ferrari kept them afloat when they were about to go down like the Titanic. 
It was Luca di Montezemolo's big practical joke on the auto world.
View Quote
I did some reading on Maserati because I don't know anything about them.

Apparently before 2007 they had a duo select transmission that required frequent clutch replacement (could be as little as 12k miles or so) and was like a $4-5k job?  Holy. Shit.

No wonder the didn't sell and are next to nothing now
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mercedes

Get rekt, AMG owners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vO306Vh1w
View Quote
lol

I watched that and was thinking dude better be a Mercedes Tech if he's gonna buy it
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]
No one will argue about the ability of the Italians to make beautiful machinery.

Prohibitively expensive, fragile, finicky, beautiful machinery.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
As I used to be a parts manager at a combined Jaguar/ Infiniti stealership... Nothing depreciates faster than a Jag....Was looking at a 2001 Jag XK silverstone edition.... nearly 400 HP and almost 1 g of grip... proclaimed by Car and Driver magazine at that moment to be "the best handling car in the world"...LOL it had lotsa grip, that's for sure... but best handling? That car was a pig, but weirdly, very reliable, in almost all of it's iterations.... just normal maintenance for almost all of them from 97 to 2002.. big failures just didn't happen.. and even even electrics taking did fine... shit just didn't happen. Saw maybe 75 of them in my 4 years there, and no real problems at all... But getting back to the main point, yes their resale was shit due to the reputation... that 2001 silverstone XK convertable that went for 105K new?... Maybe $15 k now in practically brand new shape, and regular XK coupes an convertibles of that era... LOL, they are like 3 grand...what a waste of money...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
In high end motorcycles, a K bike BMW loose 50% in 2 years (Like a KT1600), wish it worked on the GS models, lol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I did some reading on Maserati because I don't know anything about them.

Apparently before 2007 they had a duo select transmission that required frequent clutch replacement (could be as little as 12k miles or so) and was like a $4-5k job?  Holy. Shit.

No wonder the didn't sell and are next to nothing now
View Quote
It also really only works well when driven hard. Under normal driving conditions it's a clunky piece of shit.

What it looks like from the bottom

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No one will argue about the ability of the Italians to make beautiful machinery.

Prohibitively expensive, fragile, finicky, beautiful machinery.
View Quote
Looks great until it's in your stall and your problem.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Land Rover
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't forget the flat and wide seats that do nothing to hold you in.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've been doing a lot of research, so I'll give you the Best:

Toyota Taco-   Some poor bastard will pay you more for it after 9 years and 120,000 hard miles, than you paid for it today.

Jeep Wrangler- Same thing.  God knows why.   Jeeps have always had a following, but the fad has reached Beenie Babies proportions.
View Quote
4x4 convertible
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top