Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 7:00:35 PM EDT
i've got a few things to list on the exchange, but since i've never used it i'm at a 0 feedback rating. any tips to keep potential buyers from getting scared off? or what to look for to not get scammed myself? and generally speaking, what's the best way for one get paid through the EE? i would think paypal, but i know paypal isn't very gun friendly so i'm not sure about getting paid for uppers with it.

i don't feel like dealing with interstate arms sales, or transfers of any kind, so no worries, i won't be bothering with lowers before anyone mentions it. thanks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest USPS money orders and cash them Before you send product.
If you have feedback from somewhere else list that as a refrence (Ebay, Gunbroker, etc)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You seem honest...just be yourself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Offer to ship before payment(I would only do that with a longtime poster with good feedback). Not getting scammed, if it sounds too good to be true...it is. When I buy or sell I only use USPS money orders.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If the buyer has a good rating you might consider shipping before buyer pays. Always an issue of trust, one side or the other has to have it.

No payment method I have seen requires disclosure of what is being paid for.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
lesser feedback ships first regardless of buyer or seller.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Read the rules twice. Start by buying small things and get feedback from those. Be polite and patient. PayPal works in most cases, money orders as well. The chance of getting scammed is part of the game. I have had no issues with any trade so far (except the ass that gave me neutral feedback for no reason, w/e).
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The EE is simple to use.  Generally speaking without pictures your ad will not be looked at much.  

You can click HERE and see an example of an ad for a badger EFR rail.  

It is important you accurately list your item and put it in the correct section for the most exposure.  A price should be clearly listed as well as any trades you might like.  If you have a preference of contact by email or PM only please state that clearly.  

As far as payment paypal is anti gun but if you are selling components and not actual firearms it is difficult to determine what is right.  If you simply don't want to use them because they are 'anti gun' that is fine but remember most banks are as well and the secondary method most use as a USPS money order is a facility with massive jail terms for carrying your gun in.  If you are ok with waiting for the mail get a check or money order sent from USPS.  If you get a check wait for it to completely clear your bank.  Many banks will allow you access to the funds before it actually clears and scammers use that to cancel the check leaving you high and dry.  Money orders can be forged so take it in and have it cashed or verified before you ship anything.

you should buy my badger efr.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Buying a membership helps. Tells others you're here to stay.Roots
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Here are my rules.

With buyers:
If I get payed with PayPal I send same day.
Money order or check, I wait for check to clear before I send out and I make this clear before any transaction occurs.

Buying: I only buy from people with good feedback that have been members for several years, 20+ feedback preferably.

If I were you I'd sell a few things first get your feedback up then go from there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buying a membership helps. Tells others you're here to stay.
View Quote

I don't look at membership status at all when buying or selling at the EE.  I also don't generally care about join date or post count.  I care about presentation of what they have and clear honest communication.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here are my rules.

With buyers:
Money order or check, I wait for check to clear before I send out and I make this clear before any transaction occurs.

Buying: I only buy from people with good feedback that have been members for several years, 20+ feedback preferably.

If I were you I'd sell a few things first get your feedback up then go from there.
View Quote

problem is I only have a few things to sell, all of which are mid-high end pieces.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i've got a few things to list on the exchange, but since i've never used it i'm at a 0 feedback rating. any tips to keep potential buyers from getting scared off? or what to look for to not get scammed myself? and generally speaking, what's the best way for one get paid through the EE? i would think paypal, but i know paypal isn't very gun friendly so i'm not sure about getting paid for uppers with it.

i don't feel like dealing with interstate arms sales, or transfers of any kind, so no worries, i won't be bothering with lowers before anyone mentions it. thanks.
View Quote

Couple no brainers you probably already know;

-provide very detailed descriptions of what you're selling complete with pictures
-state payment terms clearly (pay by this date, via Money Order, etc)
-If you have feedback from another reputable site (Ebay or a local gun forum) it may be worth mentioning

Probably all there is to it. I generally shy away from CRAZY good deals when the seller is a newer member with no feedback but I've also had some successes with it.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

problem is I only have a few things to sell, all of which are mid-high end pieces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here are my rules.

With buyers:

I've sold high end stuff on here, if its priced right it will sell.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here are my rules.

With buyers:

price it well and it will sell.  some people don't care about join dates/feedback.

people will send 1000 bucks to someone with 3 posts and a join date of that day if they think they can save a nickel
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Post photos of everything including damages.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Communicate clearly and quickly, totally ignore crazy lowballs, and show pictures, especially if there are any questions about the item.

If a new member posted a $2000 gun I would be leery... some $50 stuff, especially with 600 posts? I wouldn't even think twice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been a few members first times.

As other have said, sell small low priced items to get good feedback.
Ship fast upon payment.

First few sales maybe offer to pay for shipping. Do not bump your price up to include shipping.

Buy somethings from the EE to get feedback showing you pay fast and have good communications.

Do not lie about what you are selling or change your sale post.

I have bought way more then I have sold. Like 7:1 I think.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
another question is about paypal chargebacks, http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1772059_Craigslist_Scam___Question_for_the_younger_crowd___I_m_old_as_dirt_.html

this has me thinking. i usually like to send an item as soon as i receive payment, should i not be doing that? i've sold a few things through ebay, and 2 rails through armslist, everything went fine. the only experience i have with paypal disputes was when i ordered a sling through botach (against everyones advice) and never got it. when the dispute period was nearing it's end,and botach was like talking to a brick wall, i escalated it, and paypal  instantly closed the case as soon as they provided shipping information, so i always figured it was fairly safe from a seller's perspective.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Would Venmo work for payments?  My friends and I constantly use it to pay eachother back for things.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

another question is about paypal chargebacks, http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1772059_Craigslist_Scam___Question_for_the_younger_crowd___I_m_old_as_dirt_.html

this has me thinking. i usually like to send an item as soon as i receive payment, should i not be doing that? i've sold a few things through ebay, and 2 rails through armslist, everything went fine. the only experience i have with paypal disputes was when i ordered a sling through botach (against everyones advice) and never got it. when the dispute period was nearing it's end,and botach was like talking to a brick wall, i escalated it, and paypal  instantly closed the case as soon as they provided shipping information, so i always figured it was fairly safe from a seller's perspective.
View Quote
you can choose who you do business with as well

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Would Venmo work for payments?  My friends and I constantly use it to pay eachother back for things.
View Quote

never heard of it. just looked it up and i feel like it's not really meant for sending 700-800 at a time. their site didn't really have very much information either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#24]
And just make sure the item you are buying will work for your weapon

I pulled a bonehead move the other day, but in the process the seller was very nice and helped me understand the Safariland holster systems a little better.  They have so many options it is worse then the new math.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Squareup would be awesome for credit card payments (for small time dudes), but...like everybody else that's otherwise cool and innovative, they prohibit transactions that involve firearms, parts, accessories or ammo.

You could always send a "discreet" invoice and allow the buyer to click a link to be taken to the credit card entry page, but if somebody ever does a chargeback you're fuuuuucked. They'll realize you're selling prohibited items during the dispute resolution process. And now your money is locked up for months.

The only way I know to take credit card payments online for gun stuff, is with a gun-friendly merchant account. And you ain't getting one as a non-business. At least, not that I know of.

I would LOVE to be able to sell something on the EE, and let the buyers know that I can take a credit card - avoiding the "discreet" PayPal nonsense, money orders, cashiers checks, or what the fuck ever. Click here, pay up, and yer shit's on the way. Done and done. But I have no idea how to do this without a full blown merchant account - which is WAY too much trouble for an individual who just wants to sell a few things on the EE, and isn't running a business.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Detailed description, detailed photos, prompt communication, become a team member.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I like paypal personally.....

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like paypal personally.....

View Quote

I've done it, but I don't like the gamble. I hate having to break their ToS, leaving my money in the hands of somebody who can easily fuck me over.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never had an issue but yeah I don't like buying from a member with 0 feedback.but I have done it several times.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#30]
You know I was just thinking that Bitcoin is actually the perfect solution, but I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people who buy and sell on the EE aren't savvy enough to do this.

Next time I sell something (whenever that is...), I'll accept payment in BTC as an option, but I'll be shocked if somebody actually does it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#31]
As some others said, start small. Buy and sell some small parts, you'll get the hang of it.

I started in 2007 when I was looking for an Aimpoint mount. Before I knew it I was buying and selling on what felt like a daily basis for a while. And transfers, interstate transactions, they become old hat in no time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Communicate clearly and quickly, totally ignore crazy lowballs, and show pictures, especially if there are any questions about the item.

If a new member posted a $2000 gun I would be leery... some $50 stuff, especially with 600 posts? I wouldn't even think twice.
View Quote

Well said. Would I buy a PVS-14? No. 10pack of PMAGs? Sure. $500? Probably.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I would look at member age first, number of good feedback second. Work all the details out by im,txt or a phone call if it's a $1200 Nightforce scope.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn dude, how did you get a Nov 2000 join date?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL....no.

If I am selling I am not shipping until I get paid.  In what world would anyone in their right mind ship something before getting paid for it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

LOL....no.

If I am selling I am not shipping until I get paid.  In what world would anyone in their right mind ship something before getting paid for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL....no.

This.  I don't care, unless I know you personally in not sending anything without payment first.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Detailed description, detailed photos, prompt communication, become a team member.
View Quote

this pretty much sums it up,  we all started at zero,  I purchased a few things before I sold anything,  not to get feedback just the way it worked out,  youll be fine,  just ref this thread if anyone asks

youll be fine.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#38]
OP, my first post on this board ever was an "i'll take it" regarding an EE purchase. No team purchase necessary but if youre like me, eventually, you will want to give back to the site that setup a such great way to give to yourself.

As you can see my transaction feedback has gone up since then and as you'll learn the posted feedback is much much lower than the amount of actual transactions

Be honest, be upfront. On either end. Those are values that the EE strives on or punishes for. Read the rules, follow them, and youll be okay. The EE here is highly regarded and BS is absolutely NOT acceptable nor tolerated. Its the only way, and we do it right here.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's crazy talk
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  

Some have said feedback isn't a consideration for them, but you need to understand it is for some people.  I won't buy anything that costs more money than I'm willing to write off as a loss from someone without feedback.  But that's just me.  I'm sure it may have cost me some deals, but with years of buying/selling on various forums I've never had to post a "I think I got ripped off" thread.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That's crazy talk
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's crazy talk
I did a trade with crowboy that way, non issue to me.  Just depends on the member

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I have bought some items from members with 0 feedback-- no problems-- everybody has to start somewhere. Last year I ordered a used DSA upper from the EE for not much over what the company would sell one for, to give as a Christmas gift. Seller was a member for many years, had good feedback--- slam disappeared on me and others in same ad. There is boatloads of decent, honest folks everywhere, and some asshats, luck of the draw.

E.T.A.--- lots here-- myself included--- have done many more transactions and feedback was not left for us. I read a thread on this a few years back, mine should be lots more, some just will not take the time to leave good feedback for you. When you buy or sell--- subscribe to the thread and leave feedback...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I've done over 700 transactions and have had a problem 3 times.  I had to eat the loss on two of those (they were locked) and a fellow Arfcomer step in a covered the other.

Follow the rules, communicate at every stage and leave feedback!  Leaving feedback is important but many here (well over half in my experience) just don't have the courtesy (for the whole sites sake) to leave the feedback.

I had one member write 3 IMs begging me to leave feedback.  The only problem was that I had not received the barrel that I bought from him. I IMed him (once I received the product) and let him know that I had left feedback and ask him to do the same for me.  He never did!
I found some great deals on EE and love being able to look for those deals!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Bottom line is. There is a chance you could get ripped off so don't spend more than you are willing to loose.  Sounds bad but that's the reality.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I did a trade with crowboy that way, non issue to me.  Just depends on the member  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's crazy talk

Yep I've done it once also. He was a known member and a stand up guy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've never had a problem on the EE. most people like their memberships here, and don't play games.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's crazy talk
LMAO, your avatar is funny as fuck man.      Anyways, buy a membership OP.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be old.
Be interested in ARs.
Lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.  I don't care, unless I know you personally in not sending anything without payment first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL....no.

I've seen people get a good amount of positive feedback through selling piddly shit like $10 slings.  Yeah, I'll send you a $1000 rifle before I receive payment.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top