Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beer_Slayer, what version of windows are you upgrading from?

vista.

so far it's been running about 40 min. still gathering data on installed programs. it's only about 40% done with this step. on the brightside the upgrade runs like an application and i could be websurfing or working during the upgrade right now.

mike

My in place upgrade took me 3hrs and I have a pretty beefy machine.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
how does it compare to XP?

do i need to reformat my drive to install W7?

Do you have to? No.  Why wouldn't you though?

Do you guys even hear yourselves?

<posted from an iMac>

ETA:  What does "reformat" mean?

i swear you are nothing but a trolling mac douche. go play with your gay toy and leave the adults and people who actually know how to use a REAL computer alone.

if I wanted to pay a grand to use a computer designed by a norcal homo running a bastardized version of BSD I'd buy a mac!

+1.

Danner130, you need to watch this.

"Tell him to go out and buy and iMac, it's a computer specially built for id........ mommies and daddies."

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Beer_Slayer, what version of windows are you upgrading from?

vista.

so far it's been running about 40 min. still gathering data on installed programs. it's only about 40% done with this step. on the brightside the upgrade runs like an application and i could be websurfing or working during the upgrade right now.

mike

My in place upgrade took me 3hrs and I have a pretty beefy machine.

I spent nearly two hours on line, on hold, talking to my credit card co., and being hung up on. And I don't even have the software yet!

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
What did you upgrade from? I have 2 xp machines and one vista machine to do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
i was having internet issues with 7.... but.. I havent noticed the past couple of days.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations and keep us posted on how it is running as time goes on.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
just finished. i let it run a bit before i checked it.

start to finish about 5.5 hours on a p4 3ghz machine with 2gb ram. most of the time was spent importing software settings from what i can tell.

Upgrade was completely painless and worked perfectly. every setting captured and no lost data.

even a bonus IE8 actually appears to work. On vista it was almost useless.

mike

Glad to hear it went smoothly.  I was hesitant to upgrade because I've never experienced a Windows upgrade that went well, perhaps they got it right this time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 1:34:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I get my full version today. I will be doing a clean reformated  install.

I have a 64bit based computer, and 32 bit XP is driving me nuts. Im installing the 64 bit version this weekend.

I have got all my drivers downloaded and need to burn to disc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 1:42:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Waiting for my free (pay shipping) copy of WIN 7 and the two 8 gig chips so i can run 64-bit...I've heard good things....
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:34:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I replaced Vista Ultimate 64-bit with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit last week on my home machine.  It was a fairly straight-forward migration, but I did a new install on a new hard drive and copied over my documents afterward.

I've been using Windows 7 in a virtual environment for about 9 months and I've been quite pleased with it.  The only thing I don't like is the lack of a classic Start Menu, but I guess everyone needs to move along sooner or later.

-James
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:41:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Your going to love it!!

I have it on 5 computers in the house.

I just put the 32 bit version on this little Acer netbook and it runs great. However it did not want to recognize the battery. Had to do a BIOS update to correct that. Had to install everything from a thumb drive of course.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I am dual booting vista/64, win7 RC. And to be perfectly honest with my hardware setup I see no difference in performance. A few cosmetic feature, but that's about it for me. I've had no trouble with either OS's.

So I see no reason at this time to upgrade fully to win7.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am dual booting vista/64, win7 RC. And to be perfectly honest with my hardware setup I see no difference in performance. A few cosmetic feature, but that's about it for me. I've had no trouble with either OS's.

i pretty munch agree with this. i NEVER had an issue with vista. i upgraded because i got the education price.

I do think it offers some performance over xp, especially with multiple applications running and virtualization.  the benefits i read over vista were kinda non issues to me.

I'll upgrade to win7/64 when I get a new DX11 video card sometime around the first/second quarter of next year. Waiting to see what nvidia, is going to come out with to challenge the ATI 5870. OEM copy of win7 is about $90.  No EDU discount for me
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:10:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been running it since it came out to VLS in September. (insert neener smiley here).

I did a fresh 64-bit install on to my 2 core laptop with 4GB. It runs very well but I haven't loaded it up with Office and all the other performance anchors.

I have noticed that replying to large threads causes the display to go apeshit here on ARFCOM. It may be my Lenovo driver or something inherent to IE8 but I don't post from any other W7/IE8 computers so fair warning.

Same here.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:10:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i pretty munch agree with this. i NEVER had an issue with vista. i upgraded because i got the education price.

I do think it offers some performance over xp, especially with multiple applications running and virtualization.  the benefits i read over vista were kinda non issues to me.

Pretty much the same here. Never had a problem with Vista (32-bit Ultimate). Upgraded to Win7 Home Premium just because I could get it for $40, and I should take the time to learn the new OS for career reasons.

I've only been running the final release of Win7 for a couple days now, but I actually found Vista to be more stable. I've noticed a few odd pauses and significantly more browser crashes since upgrading to Win7. The built-in wallpaper slideshow and improvements to the Media Center make up for that though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been running the retail version of Windows 7 Home 64 bit for less than a week but it's a great upgrade over XP Home.

The only "problem" I've encountered was a hardware one, and so it had nothing to do with Windows 7.

I've also encountered some programs that will not work in 64bit mode so I am going to partition and dual boot to XP Home.

I'm happy with my purchase, especially as it lets me use my full 6 GB of RAM!
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:15:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Your going to love it!!

I have it on 5 computers in the house.

I just put the 32 bit version on this little Acer netbook and it runs great. However it did not want to recognize the battery. Had to do a BIOS update to correct that. Had to install everything from a thumb drive of course.

Agreed. I have 4 machines that I am running it on - including a Dell netbook. Even went through the upgrade from Vista to 7 on my g/f's laptop - so far so good on all machines.

Now to get my Dad (fellow Arfcommer) to 7..... Probably wont happen

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been running the retail version of Windows 7 Home 64 bit for less than a week but it's a great upgrade over XP Home.

The only "problem" I've encountered was a hardware one, and so it had nothing to do with Windows 7.

I've also encountered some programs that will not work in 64bit mode so I am going to partition and dual boot to XP Home.

I'm happy with my purchase, especially as it lets me use my full 6 GB of RAM!

Why not dual boot to Win7 32 instead?

I'm not sure I can do that.  Isn't the license for one copy of Windows 7?  If I install the 32 bit Windows 7 version on the same system as my 64 bit Windows 7 system aren't I violating the EULA?  I have a full retail copy of Windows Home XP so I don't think I'd be running afoul of the EULA if I went that route.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

<posted from an iMac>

i swear you are nothing but a trolling mac douche. go play with your gay toy and leave the adults and people who actually know how to use a REAL computer alone.

if I wanted to pay a grand to use a computer designed by a norcal homo running a bastardized version of BSD I'd buy a mac!

M,kay.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#25]
nvmd
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I still run XP Pro x64 on all of my machines and have NO plans to upgrade EVER.

I have more than enough time using new versions of windows in my current job as a computer tech.

It just isn't something that I want to put up with at home! Good luck with your new software though TBS.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I love how people cry about the price. If I use my $99 copy for 4 years that is around $2.00 a month. Many people have a computer hobby but never want to spend a dime to enjoy it. I have a friend who makes $70,000 a year but it so cheap when it comes to his computer hobby he won't even buy a new power supply for his desktop. His power supply is so loud it sounds like a jet plane and some times a garbage truck. He rather suffer then spend the money on a new one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Regardless of what version you bought you can easily make it bootable, even if it's a digitalriver.com download, then it doesn't matter what you're running.

I downloaded the .exe to my desktop ran it, then copied the contents to a DVD using Imgburn(er) 2.5. You just have to set it to bootable and point it to the file named etfboot in the boot folder.

Burn, boot, and install.

64 bit Windows 7 Pro installed for $30, with a homemade "Backup Disc."

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pray for me

Good luck.

I've already gone through some aggravation trying to upgrade 32-bit Vista Business to 64-bit 7 Pro using the student discount.

It's been about 20 times the effort that I put in upgrading to Snow Leopard, and I still don't have 7 running.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<posted from an iMac>

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When do you intend to upgrade from Windows 7 to Linux?

i run 2 linux machines as well as an aix machine as well. I am far beyond tron guy

Even though I'm a Linux fanboy, I'll admit that W7 is a major improvement over Vista and XP. I've been running it for a few months on a HTPC. Hopefully it'll make it's way into the business world quickly as I loathe using XP.

I am rolling it out in the next few weeks. Fuck XP. I have been waiting for this for years.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tagged for ensuing frustration and hilarity.

<posted from an iMac>

Actually it's real simple, at least the clean install was.

Took about a half an hour and she was done (not including the time i used last night backing up pics/music/documents/etc)

oh good! Microsoft finally got the reverse-engineered version of OSX to work!
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<posted from an iMac>

Took about a half an hour and she was done (not including the time i used last night backing up pics/music/documents/etc)

Dear sweet Jesus does the SMUG ever stop?

Hey, go log into your guest account...

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Bought a copy today (first version of windows that I've actually paid for!) and will be installing it on a brand new PC when the rest of my parts arrive this thursday
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#35]
So far I'm really enjoying Windows 7.  That'll probably change once I have to start supporting it for faculty/staff/students.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
4 hrs and still running........

Is that how long it took you to install, or how long it's been running AFTER you installed it?

I think my average uptime was around a month on my vista machine once it was initially configured.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Installing the Win 7 RC (64-bit) a few months ago was the easiest and smoothest Windows install experience I've ever had in my life.

It was also the first time EVER that my video hardware, along with other hardware, was correctly supported on the first boot to desktop, without having to install the Nvidia drivers.  

I did install manufacturer-provided drivers for all my stuff later anyway, to ensure tip-top performance.  But the point is, I didn't have to.  I wasn't presented with the ugly, flickery, 640x480 default desktop I have grown used to from years of Win 95, 98, and XP reinstalls.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the Win 7 bootloader did NOT eat my Win XP install, instead offering me the option to put Win 7 on a separate partition & dual-boot.  I even found a way to make booting XP the default, as I wasn't ready to go to Win 7 full time just yet.

It feels weird to type all these nice things about an MS OS, and I was ready to be disappointed again, but it hasn't happened yet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<posted from an iMac>

Dear sweet Jesus does the SMUG ever stop?

Hey, go log into your guest account...

No, the smug doesn't stop.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

or just saying to hell with it and running firefox <which i hate by the way>

a) Why do you hate Firefox?

b) Have you tried Google Chrome?

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#42]
My wifes laptop is foing within a couple of days.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I have XP on my desktop and Vista on My laptop.  I'm not buying another OS for either.  my next new machine will be a mac.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#46]
In for Mac rage.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#47]
whats the cheapest LEGAL way for me to get Windows 7?
My XP box is on its last legs and I need a new GPU and OS.
thx
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
whats the cheapest LEGAL way for me to get Windows 7?
My XP box is on its last legs and I need a new GPU and OS.
thx

Either the OEM route as dave said, or if you are a legitimate student with an *.edu email address they have a student purchase plan for $30.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Man, the Mac fanboys really refuse to face reality, huh?

I put 64 bit W7 on the wifey's laptop (up from 32 bit Vista), and she actually uses it now. Runs smoother, everything does what it should and no snags. Wow.... imagine that.

My desktop will have it some time later this week, after my new 1TB HDD shows up. It's currently running XP 32 bit and I'm looking forward to finally using my 4th GB of ram.

Regarding the people having such great difficulties installing it...... I'm most willing to bet that they're the same folks that relentlessly push on doors labeled "PULL".

R.I.F.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top