[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gas guzzler...
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking at one with 180K miles. Sadly is RWD, but its a smoking deal from a dealership
View Quote

Unless they are giving it away, with those specs I'd stay far away. With those kind of miles, and being its a gas motor the thing is a ticking time bomb, not to mention  it probably only get 8mpg. The 4wd diesels on the other hand are solid if you can get a decent deal on one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

All that work to shoehorn a 6.8 into there for only 310 HP/380 LBS at the rear wheels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheap V10 excursion you say?

http://youtu.be/_0f38_BxHcU

All that work to shoehorn a 6.8 into there for only 310 HP/380 LBS at the rear wheels.

He hasn't done anything to it yet other than install it, and it makes a metric fuck ton of torque right off of idle. If he can get it to hook up, he'll probably out run a stock 3V one without much issue.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We had one at a car svc co I used to work for.

Black, tan leather interior, RWD, v10.

I think it was an 02 or so, but it was mint, and the boss got a smoking deal on it.

Rode like shit compared to the Escalades and Navigators.

That truck might as well have had a pilot light.
View Quote

Well you see, the excursion was build on a f250 frame and includes a solid front axle and not IFS like your caddy

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one.  

MPG was bad. Engine was good.  

I liked it, but if I had to do it again, I would get the diesel
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen a few of them break exhaust studs.
And had a buddy from another shop that was quite skilled at changing broken exhaust studs in super duties.
Now I'm not gonna say it's a pattern, but it just might mean something.

Mileage sucks and power is uninspiring, atleast laden, our service truck managed 3-4mpg highway best I ever saw was nine, weighing in around 16k. Previous diesel felt like it had four times the power and got about four times the mileage, not that 12mpg is fantastic but compared to 4 it is, weights varied but they were within 2k of each other most the time. And if you run them at their max all the time the fuel pumps die about once a year, however it doesn't strand you like pumps of old, it just can't deliver the volume and pressure to make power, you'll notice it pulling hills and things.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a buddy that has over 600k on his its a daily drive and he works all over the state. tires, brakes and one alternator. he loves that truck. I have an 02 diesel with too many mods to list, its the first truck I have owned more than 2 years
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The V10 is a great motor, ignore those who don't know what they fuck they are talking about. It's done such a reliable job that they also only put it into F450's and up later in life. It's also been used in other heavier fleet type operations. Sure it doesn't make all the great HP/TQ numbers that the diesel fan boys measure themselves against. It also doesn't require modding to make it bullet proof either. The best thing to do is get a proper tune on it, other than there really isn't much you can do to it. Check out the V10 forum on Ford Truck Enthusiasts. You will get some solid information vs. the typical internet BS.

What it's not, is good with gas mileage especially in the Excursion format. I've had my 2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 since 03 with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to pull anything that the venerable 7.3 would. I know of course I will be getting 8mpg's though and am comfortable with that. 180K on the motor is no biggie if it's been cared for. I expect to see 300K with mine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

IM me if you see one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are still clean Ex's with the 7.3 if you're patient.
IM me if you see one.

Theres a few nice ones on CL in my area.

I had a 2002 with the 5.4 4x4. Wish I had never got rid of it.

Ed

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I only know of one, friend uses it to pull a 24' offshore boat.  He's had it for 10 years with no problems.   Very roomy and quiet on the highway.  Makes for a very long tow rig though in tight spaces.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Get ya a sticker for the back that reads "Passes everything on the road.......expect the gas station".
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was wondering if there's good power to be had on the V10 with big, flowing heads and a couple turbos (plus everything to make it all hold together).

Is the block as strong as Mopar's V10?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheap V10 excursion you say?

http://youtu.be/_0f38_BxHcU

LS[1,2,3,6,7,9,A] owners around the world are chuckling.

I was wondering if there's good power to be had on the V10 with big, flowing heads and a couple turbos (plus everything to make it all hold together).

Is the block as strong as Mopar's V10?

Granted, this is hearsay, but ... based on my esteemed Internet research it would appear the block is not prone to failure. I think it floundered because Ford never set it up to have a following; didn't put it in a car, and only put it in the Super Duty series where it was overshadowed by the diesel on one end and the dirt-cheap affordability of the 5.4L on the other.  If they brought back something to compete with the Corvette and dropped their Mod V10 into that (with better bolt-ons of course) I bet it would have done much better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Great family truckster

Hauls 7 people comfortably 8 if you have to.

V10 4x4 10-11 city 15-16 hwy (trick is to stay under 2k rpms)

Tows well. It's HEAVY though, so somewhat limited.

Have one now 10 yrs. Fuel pump and AC compressor. No other issues.

OP what's your need? Do the math mpg vs cost. Can you justify the diesel?

Fits in my garage just barely.

5.4L = run away as fast as you can
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I had an 03 f250 4x4 with the v10.

11 was the best I could get.  That said, I sold it with 175k miles.  I just changed the oil and tires.  I did not spend a dime on any repairs.  Should have kept it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#16]
why are they 2 to 3k more than the chevy suburban?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

why are they 2 to 3k more than the chevy suburban?
View Quote
There really is a loyal following and there are far fewer Ex's than Subs.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Skip the excursion and go for a 2500 suburban
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

8.1L

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:43:37 AM EDT
[#20]
by the time i called it was sold they where asking 3K for it
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:51:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good engine. Coil packs and spark plugs need replacement sometimes. Early models might spit plugs, later models won't. Transmission is the weaker point. Mileage is bad but not like a 454.
View Quote

Had a '91 2500 Suburban 454

11 mpg highway
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#22]
V10 in my 2000 F250 was a turd. Crap mileage, not much power, started using lots of oil at 80,000mi, and kept killing coil packs. Unloaded at 100,000mi thank god.

Oh and the doors and tail gate started rotting out at way to early of a time frame. Same as the 2001 F350 diesel I got to replace it. Doors and tailgate looked like shit by 100,000mi. And yes I wash my stuff over winter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

8.1L

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

8.1L

Here's the one I bought on Craigslist two years ago......2001 LT Auto ride....only had 30k miles on it and was in mint condition....Looked at the diesel excursions very closely and couldn't find one that wasn't beat to shit on the inside and they all steered like a German river barge....

8.1L big block
3:73 rear gear w/4L80e tranny
Towing 7k lb travel trailer getting 9 mpg
10-11 mpg unloaded

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I have an 04 V10 (2V) F250 single cab with the manual 6 speed (granny + 4 + OD), no shell and 86,000 miles on it.  Has never had a single repair on it so far, doesn't leak a drop of anything or burn oil.  I can tease it up to 15 around town if I work at it, 17+ on the highway.  Amazing amount of grunt in the mountains.  Good truck, but agree the mileage isn't great and it really doesn't like washboarded dirt roads.  If it had 4wd I'd keep it forever.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep, and I know I will get about 10-12MPG, ouch. They are asking way under KBB
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at one with 180K miles. Sadly is RWD, but its a smoking deal from a dealership

do you mean its 2wd and not 4wd?
you might be very right about that.

Yep, and I know I will get about 10-12MPG, ouch. They are asking way under KBB

Just how much are they asking?  What year?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a big, heavy, ugly truck that isn't really good at going off road or on.

Most by this point have been used up to hell, and haven't worn well at that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top