BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'll give somebody a break if they've obviously been working hard all day.  Construction
workers,  people who do manual labor,   they get a pass later in the day.   I don't mind
fresh dirt or fresh sweat all that much.   But people who don't have that plausible reason
to explain why their stench is knocking buzzards off of garbage trucks will NOT be well
treated by me though I won't tell them straight out that they stink and need a bath.

I used to work as a laborer at a landfill. My work clothes went immediately into the wash when I came home and I hit the shower. I never smelled like landfill except at work.

There really is no excuse to stink.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
He proceeded to tell me how this was discrimination as he was MOOOOOORE than qualified for the position. I told him the resume was not all of the job requirments. we also have a requirement to present a professional image. He was not it.

Fixed for you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stinky people suck.  Lots of Indians don't wear deodorant, not sure if that's some kind of religious thing.  It is unpleasant to ride in an elevator with them.

Feather or dot?
dot.  Used to be pretty bad getting on buses that went around campus.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ok arfcomm here is your chance.

dingle berry just called me. He went home took a shower and changed clothes and wants another chance. <left on my voice mail>

my inclination is tell him to go pound sand.

What say YE!

this hippies fate rests in your hands! <i don't hire him or have to work with him so i really don't care>

mike

give him ONE more chance. maybe you knocked some sense into him

he screwed the pooch, see my post below...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Another chance? Hmmm....

MAYBE, but he did mutter something about "discrimination" when you pointed out the obvious. If this isn't an indication of how he will handle conflict, I don't know what is. He blew it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

dingle berry just called me. He went home took a shower and changed clothes and wants another chance. <left on my voice mail>

What say YE!

this hippies fate rests in your hands! <i don't hire him or have to work with him so i really don't care>

mike

Is he going to work in a dept that you don't like?? If so hire him!! Other wise tell him to pound sand!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What say YE!

mike

I would NOT give him another chance.

He has shown himself to be a slovenly and undisciplined person (in addition to being stupid) - the fact that he is willing to PRETEND not to be for an interview doesn't change his basic disposition.

Since I would not want a person like that working for my organization, I would not interview him.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Another chance? Hmmm....

MAYBE, but he did mutter something about "discrimination" when you pointed out the obvious. If this isn't an indication of how he will handle conflict, I don't know what is. He blew it.

good point SM. I forgot about that. bad move on his part.

revised my vote to match Jarhead22's
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sounds desperate. How can he come back and look you in the eye? Does he have no shame?

I used to do IT work in college. It requires a certain attention to detail because you can easily nuke a software package (if doing application IT) or fry a motherboard (if doing hardware IT). If it did not occur to him to wash up, why would you think that he'd remember to do ground himself before jamming his hands inside a machine (for example)?

It shows a terrible mindset. Count yourself lucky for noticing this fault up front and not after he cost the company money.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say YE!

mike

I would NOT give him another chance.

He has shown himself to be a slovenly and undisciplined person (in addition to being stupid) - the fact that he is willing to PRETEND not to be for an interview doesn't change his basic disposition.

Since I would not want a person like that working for my organization, I would not interview him.

My name is PAEBR332, and I endorse this message.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Young guy you said right?

After teaching High school for 7 years I've learned how poorly our parents are prepping their kids for real life.

I give the kid full marks for having the balls to man up admit his mistake and try to address the issue.

I want people working for me that admit they fuck up and fix it. Rather than the BS artists that try and CYA or blame in on somebody else.

Give the man a second chance. Sometimes people just need the wake up call to get on the right path.

But from the other posts to your question I'd say I'm a softy. I do remember when I was given a second chance years ago. Not even close to the same issue but I learned more that day than any day before that in my life.

Georgia.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i am considering it just to watch this guy squirm a bit. i'd really have ZERO interest in reccomending him for a full interview with management.

Tell him to feel free to reapply in 180 days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What say YE!

mike

No. Do not call him back. Giving him a chance after such a massive fuck up simply teaches him that it is ok to screw up like that and that your company isn't serious about things and that they sky is the limit for bad behavior. Don't teach him that. This ain't beanbag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#18]
call him back for interveiw, then dont hire him. olololololololol
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#19]
This isn't your future SIL is it?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I gotta say no.  Anyone stupid enough to claim discrimination based on smell is too stupid to work for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#21]
In a company I was in we had this dude who was just heaving. Had a sour milk/Nacho Cheese Dorito smell coming off of him. In Iraq, this asshat's roommates would take photos of his towel and shower stuff, in the same spot for days. Anyway, what a nasty fucker.

TBS, good on you for kicking that nasty prick out of your office.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice job.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#23]

this hippies fate rests in your hands!

mike

Death by Booga Booga!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i am considering it just to watch this guy squirm a bit. i'd really have ZERO interest in reccomending him for a full interview with management.

Don't jerk him around just for fun.  He knows he screwed up, no need to rub his face in it.  Message sent, message received.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What say YE!

mike

I know a lot of other people said "NO"... but you know what, it took balls to do that, so I say bring him back in.  

Then watch him squirm.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you

Signs, sings, everywhere a sign!

Do this, don't do that.
Can't you read the sings?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stinky people suck.  Lots of Indians don't wear deodorant, not sure if that's some kind of religious thing.  It is unpleasant to ride in an elevator with them.

Feather or dot?

Dot.

Only the married women wear dots. And even that, not all clans do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't waste your time - he obviously didn't take it seriously enough the first time around. The lack of professionalism is unacceptable, plain and simple. And as if that wasn't enough, he then tries blaming you for his laziness by throwing accusations of "discrimination" around.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#31]
You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

I wouldn't hire him, nor would I allow him back for a second interview. If he couldn't muster the respect for the first interview, where it would have been genuine, then fuck him in the eye with a sharp stick.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Alot of times the co used to ask me to take a "ride along" with me on my day these are prospective new employees who want to find out what our day to day goes like.Not any more. One or two have smelled so bad I wouldnt let them in the van. one stole $300.00 in cash from my days invoices and was gone before I caught the missing cash
one "borrowed" $20 bucks as he had been unemployed for a while and was taking the job --he did--worked two days, stole from a customer and quit and I never saw the $20 of course. A few tried to get in with lit ciggarette--WRONG-- I give em a few mins to finish a cig before leaving out in the am and after each job or stop but when I am ready to go--put it out and get in.
Some of these whack jobs I cant believe they hire and put out on the street but they need the bodies I guess. I get a written warning for a spot CINTAS failed to get out of a work shirt. Cleatus shows up late for the interview with six green stubbs for teeth an he's thier boy!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#33]
If you had to tell the applicant to clean up and then he got belligerent,  there is absolutely no WAY that I would grant his request for a second chance.

I guarantee that if you hired him,  he'd be unclean and stinky more days than he was clean,
because personal grooming habits are just that...HABITS.   If he doesn't have them NOW, he won't have them after he gets hired.    

There are qualified applicants out there who take baths every day and have clean clothing.
I'm sure you will be able to find one soon,  so let Mr. Stinky go search for other jobs.  

Maybe what you said to him might help him to get the idea about cleaning up and maybe
it'll help him to find another job,  but  I would recommend against YOU hiring him.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Well, my wife is very helpfull and suggested perhaps it would help if I shaved my arm pits.  

I've found that I don't go through anti-perspirant/deodorant nearly as fast when my armpit hair is trimmed short.  It takes less and it's more effective, in my experience.  I thought it was "gay" too, but my wife has made me a believer too.

If a person showers/bathes daily and uses anti-persirant/deodorant, they really shouldn't have a problem with BO.  I used to be a concrete construction laborer and I'd end the day covered in form oil and sweat.  As long as I showered daily and wore freshly-washed work clothes every day, I didn't have any problem with BO.  I also grew up on a ranch, but that's a different story; there's just no way to avoid coming home from that job smelling like cow $#!&.

As for letting the guy come back for a second chance, I say go for it.  That actually took some humility and respect to take your criticism and fix what you said was wrong.  It shows that he's willing to admit he's wrong, accept constructive criticism, and not give up at the first sign of rejection.  Those aren't bad qualities to have in an employee.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Ya know I would say bring the kid back in, let him interview, DO NOT hire him, BUT Explain why, Because he showed you in the first interview attempt what he is made of "First Impression" and that is the lesson he needs, I agree that many kids these days tend to raise themselves, My parents would never have allowed me to leave the house looking like that or smelling like that! But he needs to understand the lesson....
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I might have considered it if he got his shit together immediately and without complaint the first time you mentioned it. But he goes on a tirade about how he's a victim being discriminated against? No thanks, he's outta there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said.

sadly the lingering stench of his first impression is still here.

Febreeze, baby.
Or Fire...you choose!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#41]
hippies...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm gonna have to agree and say negative on the second chance.  If any applicant does not take the time or put forth the effort when they know they have time to prepare for an interview, what does that say about their work habits or ethics.  It would be one thing if it was a stain on the shirt caused by a spilled drink a few minutes prior to the interview (shit happens).  

Along with what others have stated, I too,  have worked construction and jobs where sweat is a common occurance.  Regualar bathing takes care of it in my experience.  I usually cut those guys a break as I have done it as well.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

oh man have i got some ride along stories.

i had to babysit one tech that wasn't getting his work done. guy was a loon. would use a public restroom. he carried a urinal under his car seat. as were are stopped a traffic light he whipped it out and took a whiz right in front of me.

Hey man I couldn't hold it!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
i was asked to prescreen a new tech we were looking to hire.

this kid shows up <early 20 something> wearing a pair of dress slacks that were covered in some form of aminal hair and crumbs from breakfast. A white button down shirt that was faintly off white from lack of washing and so wrinkled i am not sure it had been ironed since the day it was purchased. black Wingtip shoes with toes so scuffed i could see patches of brown leather.

And he smelled.

i sent him home without even dicussing the job. He ask why and i told him exactly why. He disrepected me as an interviewer and my company by showing up looking like a welfare case. his interview was done in under 15 seconds.

He proceeded to tell me how this was discrimination as he was MOOOOOORE than qualified for the position. I told him the resume was not all of the job requirments. we also have a requirement to present a proffesional image. He was not it.

If you want a job..... take a damn bath, cut your hair, and wear clean clothes. If you can't afford a suit, no problem do your best to look your best. your first impression is the one that gets your foot in the door. Blow that, and you don't have a chance.

mike

ps.... have i mentioned how much i hate hippies.

Man, you are tough.
Most people just say "Thanks for your interest. We are interviewing other candidates also. We'll contact you if we are interested." to avoid any kind of lawsuit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#47]
How much does the job pay?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Here's a hint:

Dark grey or Navy Blue single breasted suit -conservative cut, nothing trendy.
White shirt.
Uninteresting tie.
Black oxford shoes with leather soles (please, no square toes).
Black leather belt.

Suit and shirt cleaned and pressed.

Shave.

Do not have noticeable hair product. Hair should be neat, freshly cut.

How hard is that?

I have to put some kind of gel in my hair otherwise it looks like crap. Some people have hair that looks good when they get out of the shower, I'm not one of them :)  I do keep it short and tidy and get it cut either the day of or day before interviews.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you

Sign, sign, Everywhere a Sign...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top