BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
how did the slide feel when it hit the shooter in the face?

it did'nt, it hit my shoulder ... and it was like a weak punch from a girl .. did'nt even leave a bruise

Erase this post you just lost your lawsuit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]
pot metal gun. nice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not so much a KAboom, but the front did fall off.

I've heard about these problems with the P22, I haven't shot it  much in the last few years because of it,.

actually the front of the slide stayed on, due to the threaded adapter, the rest of the slide came flying off

So its uncommon for the front to fall off?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not a KB.

Slides failing at the front is common with P22s, especially when there is some sort of shoulder in front of the slide (hence why it is most common with the longer-barrel variants that feature the "barrel weight" at the end of the slide).

ETA - It is considered an inevitability by a good number of individuals, including myself. P22s are NOT made to last; they are made to be cheap and to work well during their relatively short lifespan.

This,

It's my understanding the slides on the P22 is cast and tend to break easily.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]
that happened to mine also, somewhere between 20-25k rounds. new slide assembly cost $45 from S&W.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#6]
My friend had a p22 kaboom on him also. No squib, no blocked barrel, remington ammo.......S&W told him to get bent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Just send it back, they will take care of you.    I had an older one (2004?) that developed cracks in the slide in '08.     I sent it in and they replaced the slide and some other parts at no cost.

it's in a box, waiting on monday

That's good.    You'll have it back pretty quickly.     I think mine was about a week.

You'll put alot more rounds through it if you just got your suppressor

yes the form 4 (my first) came back from the ATF, i picked it up from the dealer yesterday, and hit the range .. lucky for me i also brought a 10/22 and finished off the day

Quoted:
Saw the break, then saw the "First Edition" scroll on the slide and thought, "Well there's your problem."  I've seen a few early ones do that after installing the 5" barrel and shroud, or in this case, a thread adapter that is larger diameter than the hole in the front of the slide.  I don't think that ever was decided to to be reason, but every one that I've seen broken that way had something that would possibly impact the front of the slide as it cycled.

the thread adapter was only on the firearm for those < 30 rounds. i often shoot it in the 5" flavor though

Quoted:
I have seen M16's explode and put upper receiver shrapnal in the operators face.

ya, we had a guy 2 bays over from me kaboom one ... he did'nt get hurt that bad, but was holding the upper in 1 hand, and the lower in the other. it blew the mag out, springs and ammo went everywhere .. we found parts and AL 20 feet away

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
my p22 hammer cracked on the right side at the pivot, it woudl still shoot but i woldnt shoot it any more, I sent it back to smith(after it found out it was actually a smith not a walther) and they replaced the whole slide and hammer. it made things right for me.
\
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My friend had a p22 kaboom on him also. No squib, no blocked barrel, remington ammo.......S&W told him to get bent.

i don't see why they wouldn't at least fix it ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This,

Not only the P22, but also the SIG Mosquito:

Interesting how the break happened in just about exactly the same location.

That was from a thread some months back, no longer available.

CZ Kadet, on the other hand . . . no pot metal.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I have owned two of them. Both were sent back to the factory and replaced for broken springs and slide.  Sold the last one as soon as it came back from the factory.

I will never again own one of them, and most likely never own any walther pistol again, at least anything made in the last 20 years!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me guess...reloads

LOL... who the hell reloads .22 ?

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard about these problems with the P22, I haven't shot it  much in the last few years because of it,.

actually the front of the slide stayed on, due to the threaded adapter, the rest of the slide came flying off

Well some of them are designed so the front doesn't fall off at all!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice pot metal slide you have there!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This,

Not only the P22, but also the SIG Mosquito:

http://i27.tinypic.com/ilgm0h.jpg

Interesting how the break happened in just about exactly the same location.

That was from a thread some months back, no longer available.

CZ Kadet, on the other hand . . . no pot metal.

Fully agreed on the CZ. I don't think a .22LR will ever break a Kadet slide. I was just about to pull one of mine out now for a little action.

Is that the tailgate of a Toyota Tacoma?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#17]
oh my!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#18]
made out of the same material as this

but not as awesome
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#19]
So how much money did it save to use Pot metal instead of something much stronger...?

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one was not quite as safe as the other ones.  The ones where the front doesn't fall off.  Can't be made of cardboard, or cardboard derrivitaves.  No paper. No cellotape.  No string.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one was not quite as safe as the other ones.  The ones where the front doesn't fall off.  Can't be made of cardboard, or cardboard derrivitaves.  No paper. No cellotape.  No string.

So what happened in this case?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Of course pot-metal guns go ka-boom.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#23]
you guys and your plastic guns
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#24]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=11&t=301203

A lot of history on this. I own one, and still ok. I did however e-mail walther asking if there was a recall of any sorts because getting hit in the face with a slide would not make my day. They responded with a polite "no" keep shooting. mah
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#25]
damn I hope you at least get a new one for free, Does Walther have an american manufacturing plant it could be sent to?

I diden't know it was possable to KB a .22
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That sucks.  The p22 is a fun little gun to shoot.

For a little while anyway....
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Does my Sig P226 9mm have this "pot metal" in it ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll stick with the ruger MKIII.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I cant wait till my glock does that!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=11&t=301203

A lot of history on this. I own one, and still ok. I did however e-mail walther asking if there was a recall of any sorts because getting hit in the face with a slide would not make my day. They responded with a polite "no" keep shooting. mah

I've got a pic saved somewhere from someone else showing serious "peening" of the face of the slide when one of the longer target barrels is installed, and I imagine the same thing happens with a silence and thread extension.

Like any metal structure, cycles of directly opposing force produce more fatigue than simply applying the force in one direction.   My theory is that the slide does OK smacking back against a plastic stopper during recoil, but that if you combine that with the stresses of metal on metal compressive hammering when there'es and extension or silence installed, it just can't hack it.   At the very least, it should cut the MTBF more than in half.

Of all the stories I've seen on the 'net of P22s failing with cracked slide and breaking near the front as here, all have been in situations with the long barrel and extension or silencer installed.  

Just a theory, but then again:  I've got many thousands of rounds though a P22, with regular barrel ––  including stingers and velocitors, but mostly remington golds and it keeps going and going and going.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Making bullets out of .22lr cases  
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So how much money did it save to use Pot metal instead of something much stronger...?

The P22 and Sig cost more than low end Browning or Ruger. I can't justify buying a P22 or Sig when Browning and Ruger cost less and isn't made out of pot metal.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what happened in this case?

Well the front fell off in this case by all means, but its very unusual.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a cracked slide? ... chance in a million.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Zinc, it's whats for dinner.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone who now fears their P22 can send it to me for proper disposal. PK380s being accepted as well
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Was it outside the environment?

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Fully agreed on the CZ. I don't think a .22LR will ever break a Kadet slide. I was just about to pull one of mine out now for a little action.

Is that the tailgate of a Toyota Tacoma?

Yep, Kadet = all steel! I have yet to find a bullet type or profile it doesn't like. Also, some of the best sights around.

About the tailgate in the pic; I don't know about that. That photo was from an Arfcom thread, in the Suppressors forum I think, so maybe the owner will see it and chime in.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:19:04 AM EDT
[#39]
thanks for all of your replys even the ones which say "nice pot metal gun" or you should have bought a  "xyz" .... well at least I didn't get a "cool story bro / interesting tale chap" or the other typical interweb crap. I did find it interesting that this seems to be a common issue with both the p22 and the sig, neither of which i had a clue about. so again guys ..... thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#40]
just proof if you use to much muscle  to sling shot a slide you'll tear your gun apart
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:45:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me guess...reloads  

[Foghorn Leghorn] That's a joke son, that's a joke. [/Foghorn Leghorn]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
thanks for all of your replys even the ones which say "nice pot metal gun" or you should have bought a  "xyz" .... well at least I didn't get a "cool story bro / interesting tale chap" or the other typical interweb crap. I did find it interesting that this seems to be a common issue with both the p22 and the sig, neither of which i had a clue about. so again guys ..... thanks

I thought that they had re-engineered the slide on newer models to correct this problem.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Walther sure has gone down hill since the P-88 days.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#44]
lead bullets would be my guess
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is one of the reasons I don't have a P22. They're simply cheaply made.

I have two. They're fun. However, I won't be surprised if/when this happens to mine. It is (was? Don't know if they've fix it) a common problem on the target models. I assume that it happened on this one due to the slide constantly hitting the suppressor mount.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that they had re-engineered the slide on newer models to correct this problem.

they may have, but this was a "first edtion" ... serial # is in the 500's

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looks like I will be staying away from guns with MIM parts.

MIM isn't the problem.  It's pot metal that's the issue.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF happened?

+P .22

+P22

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#50]
I'll stick with my Buckmark.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top