Link Posted: 1/19/2013 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll need a good floor guy.

I can do floors.

I can also hang drywall.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 12:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Good thing your grandpa is rich, because you apparently have as much business acumen as my 7 year old daughter......there are so many things to say but the fact that the thing that worries you the most is "how much will I have to pay a machinist", underlines how fucked you will be.

Seems his business acumen matches your tact.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Want to know how to make a million dollars in the gun business?  Start with $2 million.

State Business Registration/Corporation:  $300-500

State Business License:  $200-350

Liability Insurance Policy: $8000-$12000 per year

BATFE Type 07 FFL Initial Fee: $200

Facility Inspection

Environmental Compliance

4-6 Months Later, 07 FFL approved

State Dept ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations)  Annual Registration Fee: $1750

Commercial Property Lease:

Machinery:

Tooling:  End Mills: $200

Mag Well Broach $3000-5000

1 3/16" Tap: $75

Labor:

Unemployment Insurance/Workmen's Comp Insurance:

7075 T6 Lower Forgings: 2yr Backlog at $22each

Beadblast Cabinet, 2 stage air compressor 230v 3phase:  $1500

Anodizing Tank Setup:  $2500

Anodizing Acids, EPA Compliance, $500

Anodizing Dye: $100

Anodizing Acetate Sealer: $100
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
<–– Journeyman Toolmaker, not a business owner

I have no experience personally running a business, but here is my opinion formed by seeing others taking a shot at it. I wouldn't start into firearms right off. I would start small, making parts for other companies. Maybe a CNC bridgeport, lathe, surface grinder, O.D. grinder, welders, etc. A lot of the small machine shops have gone out of business in the last 5 years (at least in my area) and there might be a gap to fill in your area. Once your small shop is making a profit, then start expanding a little at a time. Once the shop is self supporting then start looking into getting FFL and manufacturing parts. This is just how I might do it if so inclined....

On a side note, if you need to machine really big parts I can hook you up with a machine that will put a Mazak to shame, if you have 875k + fixturing and tooling
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 2:31:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you really want to incur hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs, FFL fees, labor, time, real estate, and construction just to crank out a few ARs for a little bit?

You're going to be a new player. You'll have to market to distributors and dealers in order to sell your product. You'll have to innovate some.

Do you REALLY want to do this in a time like this? Your lead time will suck. Honestly, it will probably be to the point that when demand falls off the cliff is when you crank out your first rifle. Why? Gotta build the facility, get the licenses, hire people, train people on the machines, and market the product before you can even think about recouping your investment.

We've seen this before. Manufacturers hired more and expanded their capacity when it happened last time. By the time they got the extra capacity going, demand had ceased to exist. Colts were going for sub $1k.

The market is close to saturation. When it reaches that point, the bubble will pop, and you'll be out a fuck ton of money, most of which you won't be able to get back.
Im no fool .  Just looking into it.  I have read you can find decent machines in the 25k range.  industrial commercial property is cheap right now.   the main thing would be figuring out the time it would take to get a product out as I would have to float a machinists salary and would have to get in before demand dropped to be able to make a name worth buying.

I think advertising and marketing would be the easy part nowdays with the demand out there.      It's high risk I know but I am still young so SOME risk is worth taking.  I certainly wouldn't pull the trigger on anything until we find out whether or not we will win the gun battle.  They are giving it their last shot now and if they can't ban the EBR now they wont be able to in the near future.

You are about a year late...we have about 6 months of this left. There will be over saturation of the market. By the time you get your FFL, this will be over one way, or another. It took around 4 months to gt my 07/02 FFL SOT.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 3:10:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What about an coached DIY shop?  You want an AR, you go to the shop and their highly skilled team of expert assistants show you how to put the metal bits in the right place, and which button to push, and how to load the CNC program...     too clever?  Serious suggestion.

KT Ordinance did that once.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 3:11:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here is my gut reaction and my immediate thoughts.

I do not know the firearm industry at all (on a business level) or even the machining industry. My only qualifications are as a businessman and financial manager (CFO type) for a large wood products manufacturer a la mom and pop (75-100 employees, privately owned, 'niche' company).

The first thing I think of is setup and tooling time. I imagine if you said 'go' tomorrow it may take you a year to get running. Maybe six months but I am not sure. Have to find a place to setup, find machinery (new or used), get the machinery here (assuming you paid cash and did not finance which takes it to a whole 'nother level), and get it set up which can include, and almost certainly will, modifications to your plant space. Then you have to calibrate it in some way I am sure and get your production methods setup. So, you could use up to half of your immediate two year window to get it going, per se. And you may not be producing anything yet, you just have the capacity too. You might pop them out left and right. You might run into some engineering difficulties that can take a while to sort out.

While I don't know anything about metals and the market for them I wonder if you'll have to buy a lot of raw material to get started too. Anything less and you could be paying a hefty premium which you have to figure into your margin. Okay, so you figure you can pay that premium and still do it. Now you have carrying costs and that raw metal sitting there waiting to be used for however long, assuming you can put a time on turnover. For instance, in the hard wood industry (I know it isn't metal but all I have for reference), anything less than a semi truck load of wood at 20K-40K (depending on the species) is considered small beans and we pay considerably more for small shipments.

Marketing and getting into the industry can be done during the same time as above, I guess. That isn't really my area but in my experience, it really just takes a go getter who is a people person and knows how to move in the right circles.

For instance, we decided to expand our market. We bought a new machine, bought a lot of raw material, and spent a good bit of money getting it setup. Hiring the right person to sell it and get the orders. Even then, using the ample experience of employees and the owner it took nearly 18 months before we could sit down to measure it. "Okay, how much did it end up costing? What are we getting out of it? What does the future look like?" Questions like that.

I think it sounds like a fabulous idea, personally, OP. I've wondered the same thing aloud over the last month. Somebody who knows what they are doing and has the capital and capacity can really stand to profit right now. I'm just ultra conservative. I play the devil's advocate a lot (it's what I get paid to do) so I always sound like a pessimist and, by God, I can see the worst in anything.

whats your niche markt if i may ask?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 3:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Good thing your grandpa is rich, because you apparently have as much business acumen as my 7 year old daughter......there are so many things to say but the fact that the thing that worries you the most is "how much will I have to pay a machinist", underlines how fucked you will be.

i was going to buy everything else up front. all of it could be resold without much loss. other than missing the demand surge a machinist an proprty lease are the two major costs i would be concerned about if it took a long time to turn out a product.   thanks for the constructive input though.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:49:43 AM EDT
[#11]
By the time you spend a ton of money the panic buying will have ended and you'll have a terrible return on investment.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#12]
it's probably easier to set up a shop to mfg ak47 receivers.  and you could import all the parts to make complete rifles .
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:54:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Your 4 years too late, this "panic" will be over soon, there are 4 things driving this panic.

A. The apocalypse "doomsday peepers"

B. the AWB is motivating people to buy

C. Flippers who want to make a profit

D. Enthusiasts wanting to fill holes in there want list.

A didnt happen, B in the next few weeks either will pass or not, either way it will no longer be motivating buyers, C goes hand in hand with B once the AWB goes either way C will stop buying and start selling, D is normal demand and will always be there.

If the AWB does not go into effect A, B and C wil open there closets and say "holy shit why did I buy all this stuff" and we will see a flood of parts on eBay, Craigslist and the EE.

which is only a fad.  it will soon pass.  the modern American, is too lazy, and too ADD to continue a "peepers" lifestyle

the Ammo plant idea is golden.   and Im betting would be less expensive than 200grand in CNC centers

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Want to know how to make a million dollars in the gun business?  Start with $2 million.

State Business Registration/Corporation:  $300-500

State Business License:  $200-350

Liability Insurance Policy: $8000-$12000 per year

BATFE Type 07 FFL Initial Fee: $200

Facility Inspection
    Environmental Compliance

4-6 Months Later, 07 FFL approved

State Dept ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations)  Annual Registration Fee: $1750

Commercial Property Lease:

Machinery:

Tooling:  End Mills: $200
            Mag Well Broach $3000-5000
            1 3/16" Tap: $75

Labor:

Unemployment Insurance/Workmen's Comp Insurance:

7075 T6 Lower Forgings: 2yr Backlog at $22each

Beadblast Cabinet, 2 stage air compressor 230v 3phase:  $1500

Anodizing Tank Setup:  $2500

Anodizing Acids, EPA Compliance, $500

Anodizing Dye: $100

Anodizing Acetate Sealer: $100

Security system
Storage system for the parts with serial numbers
Finding good manufacturing help is a big one
computers an software for inventory, finances, mastercam
Quality control program
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:08:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you really want to incur hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs, FFL fees, labor, time, real estate, and construction just to crank out a few ARs for a little bit?

You're going to be a new player. You'll have to market to distributors and dealers in order to sell your product. You'll have to innovate some.

Do you REALLY want to do this in a time like this? Your lead time will suck. Honestly, it will probably be to the point that when demand falls off the cliff is when you crank out your first rifle. Why? Gotta build the facility, get the licenses, hire people, train people on the machines, and market the product before you can even think about recouping your investment.

We've seen this before. Manufacturers hired more and expanded their capacity when it happened last time. By the time they got the extra capacity going, demand had ceased to exist. Colts were going for sub $1k.

The market is close to saturation. When it reaches that point, the bubble will pop, and you'll be out a fuck ton of money, most of which you won't be able to get back.
Im no fool .  Just looking into it.  I have read you can find decent machines in the 25k range.  industrial commercial property is cheap right now.   the main thing would be figuring out the time it would take to get a product out as I would have to float a machinists salary and would have to get in before demand dropped to be able to make a name worth buying.

I think advertising and marketing would be the easy part nowdays with the demand out there.      It's high risk I know but I am still young so SOME risk is worth taking.  I certainly wouldn't pull the trigger on anything until we find out whether or not we will win the gun battle.  They are giving it their last shot now and if they can't ban the EBR now they wont be able to in the near future.

I'm a toolmaker with my own business. I rent space from a larger shop who aquired their ffl, manufacturerer's and class 3 liscense last year but have been in business for 15 or so years. The liscensing is not a big deal. Took 3 or 4 months, iirc. They just want their tax money. Liscenses were something like a grand for everything, maybe less, I'd have to ask.

Being unfamiliar with the business, you would be trusting a ram rod to know what he's doing both from manufacture, business, marketing, firearms manufacture in particular (not the same as hack and wack general machining). Then there's building relationships with FFL coating businesses.

Of all machining operations, firearms are one of the more competitive. You'd be much better off getting into contracts with auto, aero, medical fields. When you've got folks selling lowers for 90 bucks (pre panic), I honestly don't see how they can make money at that.

Lowest price machine that would be usable is Haas VF2 or 3. They start at about 55k, last I checked, plus tooling and then fixturing. You'd need at least two per operator, to be efficient.

A person qualified to actually oversee what you're talking about is gonna be 150k / year or more depending on local COL. You could get someone cheaper and they will likely cost you everything. There's just one hell of a lot to know and that means experience which costs money. I could do it. I wouldn't want to or recomend it. (as far as becoming soley a firearms manufacturer)

Happy to entertain your specific questions.

ETA: Just asked and the liscenses totaled closer to 2k.

Plus dealing with local government, liability insurance and several other things. The endeavor just has very many and very high hurdles between start up and profit/success.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can get a used bridgeport or clone - then convert it to CNC. The CAD/ CAM files are all over the place that will allow you to mill billet 80% lowers while you get a feel for the business. No need for FFL and your startup costs are reasonable... this is the route I am exploring presently.

This is piddleing. You'll never make money unless you can sell your lowers for about 1000 bucks a piece. With no liscense, you cannot sell any, and you're limited to how many you can make for your personal use per year, but the number is not written anywhere....typical ATF.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is going to be interesting.

<-- machinist

what do you cost mr machinist?  Anything more helpful to add?   Rough guess on equipment costs maybe ?

I'm cheap.

How many lowers a week do you want to broach?

Maybe we could wire edm them?

What's your plan?

Production doesn't happen on some bullshit grizzly mill.

Wiring a lower would exceed even the most expensive lowers on the market in wire cost alone.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in a family full of small businesses. Everyone agrees on one thing: If you can't do every aspect of the job yourself, you shouldn't be in the business. Someone will leave you high and dry, and you'll be scrambling to find someone that can get you back on track.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#19]
How about just making good magazines and flooding the market??
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#20]
find another niche in the survival patriot market that is not filled.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#21]
You want to open a machine shop and make money?  I think it's a good idea and probably an excellent way to make money.  But I highly doubt that it's a get rich quick scheme.  I'm guessing that it's a highly competitive business that will take a full time effort for many many years in order to make it profitable.  But, if you have the desire and the capital, there is no doubt in my mind that the world could use another machine shop.    

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How about just making good magazines and flooding the market??

That would be good.

Anyone here know how much easier/cheaper (if they are) it would be to do magazines vs ARs?

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I would think it would be easier to buy an existing machine shop w/ machinists already working and some contracts in place, then try to add and market these AR products.

If you missed the boom or whatever, you'd still own a (hopefully) profitable business
Speed

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:02:31 AM EDT
[#24]
You'll be better off buying an existing machine shop rather than trying to start from scratch.  I doubt your grandpa got rich by making bad decisions... just saying.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:08:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i was going to buy everything else up front. all of it could be resold without much loss. other than missing the demand surge a machinist an proprty lease are the two major costs i would be concerned about if it took a long time to turn out a product.   thanks for the constructive input though.  

I believe that's what's driving most of this current AR-15 market... in a few months those who bought $3000 AR's are in for the shock of their life when their flip is now worth $1200.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My grandfather is rich and I have some money saved up and we got to talking because we like making money.

Curious what exactly it would cost to get an FFL and a machine shop up and running?  If there is no ban passed and the cost is reasonable I am pondering getting a firearms business going.  If all manufacturers are facing two years of back order then that means I can probably profit 24/7 for at least two years and if it dies down much after that I can just cash out and sell the equipment if unable to carve a spot in against the competition.

Not really looking to get into barrel making since I have heard it is a completely different monster or complete guns.  Probably just machine receivers and BCGs .

Anyone know what kind of cost I am looking at for this with used or new equipment?  Also what does a machinist run for salary? Im not going to pretend I know how to run one of these things so Ill need to hire someone that does.  Might make them partner in the business in exchange for lower initial salary if machinist rates are extremely high.

Bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#27]
So yeah,

1) Get C/S corp and FFL done (30 days)

2) Set up bank accounts (1 week)

3) Find location with adequate floor/electric (concurrent to the above)

4) Get quotes and order machines (about a month)

5) Wait for machines to come (another couple of months)

6) Level floor/machines, run network and get office set up (1 week)

7) Hire qualified people (good fucking luck - maybe another month or two)

8) Get forging orders in (start that while you are getting the machine quotes in and it may still take another month)

9) run test batch - note that the CAD files floating around aren't quite perfect (another month or two of tweaking)

10) Run intro batch (one week)

11) Send them off to be anodized (you want to do that yourself HAHAHAHAAHAHA! - another month)

12) Send out samples to distributors and gun writers (maybe generate some interest if you have a really excellent product - another couple weeks)

(You are a year in at this point... the ban will have passed or you'll be selling into a glut with some thin margins)

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't let all the neg. comments stop you.

Do your research, check the cost of equipment, supplies ect.
You don't have to own the building, and it doesn't have to be top of the line.
Check on insurance, Should have no issues opening up in any town.
Check with a CPA on payroll and payroll tax's, and don't forget OBAMA CARE.
Every business starts somewhere, if serious, drive on, make money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#29]
It could probably be done for under $500,000.  

~$150,000 for a HAAS Vertical Mill and tooling.  I doubt you can get more than 10-20 parts an hour off that machine.   The parts will still need to be broached, serialized, and anodized.
~$5000 for someone to write the program and get it working.
Magwell broach????  
$50,000 for miscellaneous shop equipment
$20,000 for lawyers and accountants.  That number is probably low.
Lease for your building?  
Non-retarded employees to run the machine?  $20/hr + benefits
You better have a rock fucking solid recorded keeping system in place.  I wouldn't risk my liberty on this one.  You will probably want to hire an expert to get something set up.  $20,000??  

Waiting around for the ATF to approve your shit will probably take at least 6 months to a year

Consider what happens once this panic subsides.  You will be another no-name AR manufacture making a commodity part.  

Normal market price for a no-name stripped lower is around $80.  
Wholesale is probably $65.  
The forging cost around $25
That leaves you with $40 to pay all the bills and hopefully profit.

I will put it to you like this.  I have plenty of room, plenty of machining experience, and most of the equipment needed to mass produce lowers.  Its not worth dealing with all the ATF regulations.  One of the biggest problems is that you can't sub-contract work on the lowers to someone who doesn't have a FFL.  That means I have to find an FFL to anodize and dye the lowers or do the work myself.  If I do the work myself, then I open myself up to a bunch of EPA bullshit.

If I thought I could sell a steady 1000 lowers a month(in normal market conditions), I would give it some more thought.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Who is going to do the reverse engineering/design work so that the machinist has something to program/make?

The files are out there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is going to do the reverse engineering/design work so that the machinist has something to program/make?

The files are out there.

Even if they weren't out there.  Its not difficult to make a solid from a blueprint.   It would only take a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#32]
A broach like the one KiethJ posted is about 100K for the machine , 10K per tool(should have 2, one spare), and 35K in training setup and accessories, so almost 160K to do one operation.

However the cycle time for a lower under 30secs, so you could do a lot of them.

About a million a year if you pushed it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

True, but the successful ones start out with the owner having some idea of how that business works and knowledge of every step of the production.  How many mechanics have opened a successful restaurant and vice-versa?  Just because you have the capitol to purchase and hire everything needed, if you think you can deal with each step as it happens it's going to be a rough first couple of years.  To hire experienced individuals to run your business is going to eat up your profits.  I think the OP was thinking he'll just throw money into a manufacturing company and sit in the front office counting money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So yeah,

1) Get C/S corp and FFL done (30 days) Corps take 5 minutes in some places, like here. FFLs run about 2 months.
2) Set up bank accounts (1 week)  About an hour, maybe 2.
8) Get forging orders in (start that while you are getting the machine quotes in and it may still take another month)
9) run test batch - note that the CAD files floating around aren't quite perfect (another month or two of tweaking)
11) Send them off to be anodized (you want to do that yourself HAHAHAHAAHAHA! - another month)
12) Send out samples to distributors and gun writers (maybe generate some interest if you have a really excellent product - another couple weeks)

(You are a year in at this point... the ban will have passed or you'll be selling into a glut with some thin margins)

fify
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The files are out there.

Even if they weren't out there.  Its not difficult to make a solid from a blueprint.   It would only take a couple of hours.

For a knowledgeable person, absolutely.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A broach like the one KiethJ posted is about 100K for the machine , 10K per tool(should have 2, one spare), and 35K in training setup and accessories, so almost 160K to do one operation.

I would do the broaching by hand.  All you need is a hydraulic press(cheap), a custom jig to hold the part(cheap, you make it yourself), and a custom broach.  The broach can be home brewed.  Then sent out for heat treating and sharpening.

For those who don't know what we are talking about.  Picture a stack of rectangles with sharp corners, with each piece in the stack getting slightly longer.  You jam that down into the magwell to make the corners square.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Quoted:

So yeah,
1) Get C/S corp and FFL done (30 days) Corps take 5 minutes in some places, like here. FFLs run about 2 months.

fify
Hell, that's pretty far from fixed.

As others have pointed out, forgings may take a couple of years at this point.

Then there's the fact that there's like 10 FFL carrying "finishing shops" and they are probably backed up badly.  

... a good guesstimate from start to finished product is like a year

Oh, and I can tell you from experience that C/S corp FFL processing does not take quite as long as you might think.

(but getting your location has to happen first... project management is a bitch)

<EDIT>

and the bank account thing... even if you are "straight cash," you need a line of credit.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

We've seen this before. Manufacturers hired more and expanded their capacity when it happened last time. By the time they got the extra capacity going, demand had ceased to exist. Colts were going for sub $1k. They lost their asses on that investment.

As a manufacturing engineer with a major military subcontractor I recommend you read this 20 times.  You're too late to profit on this wave.  Guns will either be banned or then rush will be over by the time you're ready to go.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be worried about being late to the party.  There are already established shops that could expand to meet demand.  The demand that is there, even the two year backlog, might not be there is six months.  If nothing comes of the recent ban push, then I would imagine that people are going to cancel orders and the market is going to be flooded guns from those who have buyers remorse.  It seems to me that if you already had an established shop then you could make a lot of money right now, but if you don't have one already then you risk having the market disappear while you establish your business.

that would be my main concern is canceled orders once the panic is gone .   The other side of that coin though is there will be hundreds of thousands of new AR owners with Black Rifle disease. I see the platform becoming more popular in the future if they don't manage to ban it.  The AR is the next 870 or 700.  My line of thinking is that the current demand might be enough to get a business through the first year or two.  There is no better time to get something started than when supply is nowhere near demand.  

Start a shop, there has to be room in AZ for a local grown AR15 shop. Pick a site where electricity is already in. If you need 3 phase juice and it is not in the building it can cost hundreds of thousands to get it. I have some AR ideas I need to patent, maybe I should move back to AZ.

edit: If you are thinking of doing bolts I suggest you look up the costs of the special steel, you have to buy it in quantity. Also there are only a couple of companies who supply 80% forgings, that would be problem number 1
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

More like drive on and go broke  
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#41]
buy out mark larue, i'm sure he'll take $100 million since you're gramps is rich
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#42]
There a local guy down the street from my house that open his own shop a few years back and he's rolling in the cash and has been for a while. Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
So yeah,

fify
Hell, that's pretty far from fixed.
As others have pointed out, forgings may take a couple of years at this point.
Then there's the fact that there's like 10 FFL carrying "finishing shops" and they are probably backed up badly.  
... a good guesstimate from start to finished product is like a year

Oh, and I can tell you from experience that C/S corp FFL processing does not take quite as long as you might think.
(but getting your location has to happen first... project management is a bitch)

<EDIT>
and the bank account thing... even if you are "straight cash," you need a line of credit.

I'm waiting on my FFL right now so I can officially open my coating shop. I'm doing mine with no debt. Over a long period of time, I saved and bought one piece of machinery, or one spray gun, or 50 feet of pvc for air lines, etc. I built it all up with no debt or credit. I've set up relationships with 07 FFLs and gun shops and got a pretty big set of customers lined up and waiting for that ffl to arrive.  BUT, I needed $10,000 worth of equipment, the OP needs many times that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can get a used bridgeport or clone - then convert it to CNC. The CAD/ CAM files are all over the place that will allow you to mill billet 80% lowers while you get a feel for the business. No need for FFL and your startup costs are reasonable... this is the route I am exploring presently.

This sounds like a sensible test-the-waters type approach to me.

Is it legal to manufacture 80% lowers with no FFL?? I though they had to approve your design. I ask because I have a Haas CNC on its way now for my automotive business, but these would be a nice way to make some extra cash. I had also considered an FFL, but unlike the OP I am already set up with building and most equipment.

Here is another question I have been wondering, If you make lowers with an FFL do you need to do the anodizing in house or can it be outsources even though they are complete lowers?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I am a toolmaker for a large plastic molding company and have my own small shop. All I can say is you will never just start off right from the gitgo machining parts just because you have a CNC mill or lathe and some cutters. You need a good seat of CAM/CAD softwaer, some one that knows how to use it and run the machines. It's nothing like a woodshop man. All the luck to you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This sounds like a sensible test-the-waters type approach to me.

Is it legal to manufacture 80% lowers with no FFL?? I though they had to approve your design. I ask because I have a Haas CNC on its way now for my automotive business, but these would be a nice way to make some extra cash. I had also considered an FFL, but unlike the OP I am already set up with building and most equipment.

Here is another question I have been wondering, If you make lowers with an FFL do you need to do the anodizing in house or can it be outsources even though they are complete lowers?

They can be outsourced. Many outsource them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#47]
To be honest, I believe your best bet would be to build a shop and contract out to the various manu's out to help them meet their production.  

Do 99/100 steps and let them do that last step and serialize it.  Speeds up their orders, gives you money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Good luck getting AR forgings.

BCGs, parts kits, and items like that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
To be honest, I believe your best bet would be to build a shop and contract out to the various manu's out to help them meet their production.  

Do 99/100 steps and let them do that last step and serialize it.  Speeds up their orders, gives you money.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you want to open a machine shop you need to manufacture products for the oil and gas industry.  Not gun parts.
BTW, we machinist are expensive and very high maintenance

Yep
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top