Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing will happen. Legal or not.

All Executive Orders need to come with a built-in expiration date and need to be either made law by congress or die.

Retroactively enforced, as in all previous EO's need to be either made law or expire. Get pointers from Frank Lautenburg on this, he's the king of retroactive law making.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Impeach.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
i know a number of liberals who are actually quite upset about this––even they realize the danger that it poses.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Recess appointments are nothing new.

Bush did the exact same thing with John Bolton.

This. Jesus ARFCOMers have short memories.

Do you understand how recess appts have worked for the last 50 or so years?  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"But when Congress refuses to act in a way that hurts our economy and puts people at risk, I have an obligation as President to do what I can without them."

I'm glad at least one branch of the .gov is refusing to act in a way that hurts our economy! Did he actually say this, or is it a typo? Either way, it's hiliarious :)

He said it, I heard the quote.

that is funny. I need to see the video.

It seems as if this is what the quote is being released as

When Congress refuses to act, and as a result, hurts our economy and puts ourpeople at risk, then I have an obligation as President to do what I can without them

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Jesus ARFCOMers have short memories.

Do you understand how recess appts have worked for the last 50 or so years?  

Since 1787.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
In before Obama appoints himself king,and the Republican congress just goes along with it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

"But when Congress refuses to act in a way that hurts our economy and puts people at risk, I have an obligation as President to do what I can without them."

I'm glad at least one branch of the .gov is refusing to act in a way that hurts our economy! Did he actually say this, or is it a typo? Either way, it's hiliarious :)

He said it, I heard the quote.

that is funny. I need to see the video.  

It seems as if this is what the quote is being released as

When Congress refuses to act, and as a result, hurts our economy and puts ourpeople at risk, then I have an obligation as President to do what I can without them

It looks like it is the one with "as a result" at least from this speech it is at the ~13:00 mark

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It should go to court.

And by the time it does, it will be time to make a change anyway.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
SOUNDS LIEK SOMETHING THAT ROMNEY OR SANTORIUM OR GRINGRICH WOULD DO. RON PAUL WOULD NOT DO THIS !!!

http://i.qkme.me/35ezfj.jpg

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I just read the entire article –– Congress IS using a bullshit system to claim that they aren't in recess when they clearly are.  Of course Harry Reid is going to claim they're in recess –– he knows there's going to be a Republican in office eventually and wants to be able to block the (R) appointments in much the same way.

I actually commend Obama for doing this.  I don't know who this guy he appointed is but if the other branch of government was using a bullshit technicality definitely not intended by the founders –– I'd ignore their ass too and let them take it to court.  If I was on that Court - as a strict constructionist - I'd tell Congress to get fucked and quit trying to avert the Constitution's intent.

Now that I've said all that –– Fuck Obama.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except the Senate has to be in recess for 3 days, and it was not.

Where in the Constitution does it say anything about 3 days? I mean if this board is all about following the Constitution, and ignoring unconstitutional laws, then this isn't an issue right?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I just read the entire article –– Congress IS using a bullshit system to claim that they aren't in recess when they clearly are.  Of course Harry Reid is going to claim they're in recess –– he knows there's going to be a Republican in office eventually and wants to be able to block the (R) appointments in much the same way.

I actually commend Obama for doing this.  I don't know who this guy he appointed is but if the other branch of government was using a bullshit technicality definitely not intended by the founders –– I'd ignore their ass too and let them take it to court.  If I was on that Court - as a strict constructionist - I'd tell Congress to get fucked and quit trying to avert the Constitution's intent.

Now that I've said all that –– Fuck Obama.

Then you'll actually look at the part of the Constitution that specifies recess appointments are for vacancies that occur DURING A RECESS of Congress.  You know, back when it was expected that members of the House and Senate would work a few months a year and be productive members of society the rest of the year, so it was very likely that an ambassador, department head, or other high level person could die or resign while Congress wasn't in session and it might be necessary to find a replacement before the next time Congress was in session?  Not that the President couldn't get a nomination approved while Congress was in session so waited until they took a recess to appoint someone to fill an existing vacancy.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top