Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm with VTHOKIESHOOTER on this one, they are breaking the law, but smoking pot is on par with speeding as far as the law is concerned (typically a fine, not a huge deal).

In fact, underage drinking is usually punished more harshly. Pot, meet kettle.

I think you need to worry more about whether your roommates are douchebags in other aspects - if they pay their rent/bills on time, if they clean up after themselves, etc.

If it really bothers you that much, you might ask them to do it in their rooms instead of a common area - this would really be a pretty fair compromise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Everyone raise their hand who has had to share a dorm/apartment with someone they didn't like.

You never know, these guys may be alright dudes...........

I haven't. I could never imagine living with roomies. Fuck that noise.
I rent alone, or with my g/f at the time. Never with a bunch of random people or friends.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
what should i do about this. Im 100% sure my mother will be calling this afternoon to ask how my new roommate are. what should i say? Im pretty sure my sister and her will be comming down out here for a college campus tour (sister is a SR in high school). Better to tell her now or let her walk into weed smelling apt later?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If someone were committing a crime in my home, I'd be on the phone with the cops.
So if Junior Admiral_Crunch was burning one, instead of dealing with it as a parent you would call the cops instead?

No, I'd probably just beat him and take away everything he owns except his clothes and his toothbrush.  These are strangers.  Since I can't legally punish them, I'll call someone who can.
The OP is drinking underage and breaking the law. He should turn himself in.

Seriously, you all are acting as if they are hacking up murder victims.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I lived in a bad-room mate situation for a year.  had a guy get puking sick in my room one weekend while i was gone, they didn't bother to call me and tell me.  not a nice thing to come back on a sunday night ready for bed to find puke all over everything.  then they couldn't figure out why i was upset.

do you/they know anyone who could switch with you?  that might be more amenable to everyone than a lease cancellation.  i took my lease to a lawyer- it was bomb-proof and i wound up living it out.

i would talk to them first- just say "hey man, i'm just not comfortable with you smoking pot in the apartment- what can we do about it?"  maybe there's another apartment they can go to.  don't be a dick about it- just talk to them straight across and tell them that something has to change.  they can smoke somewhere else, or find a pot-smoking friend to trade rooms with you.

go civil first, then tell the apartment people that you'd like new room mates.

if you can trade the apartment people get paid, these guys don't go to jail, and nobody has to die/get a record.

talk to them sooner rather than later though.  if you don't let them know it's a problem they'll continue to own the place.

good luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what should i do about this. Im 100% sure my mother will be calling this afternoon to ask how my new roommate are. what should i say? Im pretty sure my sister and her will be comming down out here for a college campus tour (sister is a SR in high school). Better to tell her now or let her walk into weed smelling apt later?

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but how old are you? Is this your first year of college?

I just read through the first post again, you are 20 years old and have never had to deal with a situation at all similar to this before?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everyone raise their hand who has had to share a dorm/apartment with someone they didn't like.

I rent alone, or with my g/f at the time. Never with a bunch of random people or friends.
You are in the minority.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but how old are you? Is this your first year of college?

I just read through the first post again, you are 20 years old and have never had to deal with a situation at all similar to this before?

not really
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Tell mom things are fine.  Tell room mates that your family is going to be down on "x" date and to not smoke a few days before to air it out.

You are a grown up now.  This is something you are going to have to deal with on your own without involving a hall monitor or your mom.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are in the minority.  

My first apt. was next to a funeral home and in front of a cemetery. My landlord was the funeral director. I am surprised I could get my g/f to move in there with me.

Cheap though. 2 bedroom apt for $225 a month.

ETA:

I just had to help haul corpses and coffins  around sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Move.

I have already signed a year lease with this place, and paid first 2 months rent. I have heard apartment complexes are somwhat lax about this kind of shit becuase they dont want to loose paying renters

Tell the person you made the lease with exactly why you want to be let out.

If they don't let you out inform them that you'll get the police involved to intercede since the property owners/managers are facilitating drug use and likely the sale of drugs on their property.

It's either let you out of the contract or the police get involved to find out why the property owners are allowing criminal acts.

Yup, seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Find some boring engineering students who live for math and WoW and move in with them. They'll leave you alone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Dude, they'll eat all your food! Get out now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to them first, they may be OK guys. See if you can work it out with them to only smoke in their rooms so it doesn't stink up your stuff. Don't be a dick and see what happens. If you had your guns with you it would be a different story.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#14]
it could be worse....there could be a few n e g r o e s toking up below your window.

(anyone remember that thread?)
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#15]
When it come to the prizes in the great Cracker-Jack box that is life, sometimes you get the cool whistle ring, and sometimes you get the crappy lick-n-stick tattoos.

Suck it up, move ASAP.

As has been said before, you really don't need drugs and guns in the same house.

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are in the minority.  

My first apt. was next to a funeral home and in front of a cemetery. My landlord was the funeral director. I am surprised I could get my g/f to move in there with me.

Cheap though. 2 bedroom apt for $225 a month.

ETA:

I just had to help haul corpses and coffins  around sometimes.
You have a habit of living next to cemeteries don't you?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As has been said before, you really don't need drugs and guns in the same house.

He doesn't have his guns with him and his room mates are going to get stoned and start shooting.  Not like drunks don't do the same thing with guns.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Make friends with a cop... invite him over a lot...

Yeah that would do a lot of good.

Part of the college experience is learning to work through life's problems.  This is one of them.  Having cops over is like calling the hall monitor for help in dealing with bullies in HS.

yeah a lot of people here are acting like you walked in on some huge drug ring, its a couple collage guys smoking pot on Saturday. Fuck I used to go visit my friend at collage and get fucked up and play donkey conga all day.

I stand by my could be worse you could have douchebags for roommates.

I read this whole thread and all I want to know is what the hell is "Donkey Conga" I mean I have played "Donkey Kong" but to upgrade from "Kong" to "Conga" that must have been some good "Gonga"
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He doesn't have his guns with him and his room mates are going to get stoned and start shooting.  Not like drunks don't do the same thing with guns.

True enough, unfortunately. In fact, booze and guns are probable the worse of the 2.

In any case, I just figured an Arfcommer would have had his guns with him.

(Believe me, I'm not getting all "Mary Moral" here. His roommates sound like most of the friends I had in college.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You have a habit of living next to cemeteries don't you?

All but one of the four of the places I have lived in since being in VA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Run an ad to trade residence with someone in the opposite situation. There are probably more than a few of these roommate mismatches going on. You will have to be clever with the description of the dilemma though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Simple.........start smoking pot.

5sub

This, as long as you are smoking THEIR pot ....... dont ever buy weecd in college, there are enough smoking that you can smoke out of their bag.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I read this whole thread and Ill I want to know is what the hell is "Donkey Conga" I mean I have played "Donkey Kong" but to upgrade from "Kong" to "Conga" that must have been some good "Gonga"

Sort of like "Rock Band", but with bongos.

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#24]
The worst part is you can't keep any fucking groceries in the place!
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I read this whole thread and Ill I want to know is what the hell is "Donkey Conga" I mean I have played "Donkey Kong" but to upgrade from "Kong" to "Conga" that must have been some good "Gonga"

i188.photobucket.com/albums/z316/runcible22/DonkeyKonga.jpg

Sort of like "Rock Band", but with bongos.

but from "K' to "C" man your creeping me out......
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Simple.........start smoking pot.

5sub

This, as long as you are smoking THEIR pot ....... dont ever buy weecd in college, there are enough smoking that you can smoke out of their bag.

Now that really sounds like my friends in college!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:20:21 AM EDT
[#27]
You know what you need to do.

Just hide your dog.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about it.

no one is gonna do a smell test on your clothes.

besides you're at college good luck finding roommates who don't smoke at Texas Tech

fify
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I've heard so many roommate horror stories... a little weed? Who cares!  I knew a ton of people who smoked weed, often when I was around.  The only guy who ever got busted was a guy who was selling it(not a roommate of mine).  He got kicked off campus, but I think that was it.  You could have a lot bigger problems, I say just don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
He was a pretty decent guy and they all had an agreement that if he ever gets busted that he man up and say it was all him and no one else in the apartment was responsible.

If you can live with them, then you may want to do that, and even go one step further and have them sign something saying any and all drug stuff is theirs, then mail it to yourself and keep it unopened.. at least then you'll have something if you do get busted and they go back on their word.

Here's how that would play out

Officer to roommate "You're under arrest"
Officer, "If you tell us who else was dealing/smoking we can let you off easy"
Now desperate roommate "Well Dr D lit up with us some"
Officer to Dr D "You're under arrest"
Dr D "But I have this letter!!!!"
Officer "Ah conspiracy and aiding!  Hands behind your back"

Quoted:
I'm with VTHOKIESHOOTER on this one, they are breaking the law, but smoking pot is on par with speeding as far as the law is concerned (typically a fine, not a huge deal).

Quoted:
Seriously, you all are acting as if they are hacking up murder victims.

I agree with both these posts, in concept.  Speeding is about as wrong as pot smoking.  I like that comparison.  Pot is a silly crime and while I don't, won't and haven't used it, I fully support legalization.

Because of the exact paranoia exhibited here, cops do tend to treat a stupid bag of pot like a chopped up bag of murder victims.  You don't typically see doors kicked in and non-violent people terrorized by the state while being held at gunpoint for speeding tickets.  For weed, well that's another story.

Dr D might eventually get off the hook if the po-po's are ever involved, (might), but there's going to be a whole lot of pain in the mean time, some of it with long lasting repercussions.  I'd get out of that situation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He was a pretty decent guy and they all had an agreement that if he ever gets busted that he man up and say it was all him and no one else in the apartment was responsible.

If you can live with them, then you may want to do that, and even go one step further and have them sign something saying any and all drug stuff is theirs, then mail it to yourself and keep it unopened.. at least then you'll have something if you do get busted and they go back on their word.

Officer, I thought they were smoking tobacco.  You mean that was marijuana that they were smoking?
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#32]
1. MOVE

2. MOVE

3. see 1 and 2

If you don't move you stand a very good chance of ending up with a police record that will prevent you from owning a weapon of any kind. You may destroy your career before you even have one. Doesn't matter if you didn't smoke the stuff. You were in the same room and the only reason you didn't move out was you were also involved with their illegal activities.

Get out now or become a resident of the State of Texas hotel jail system.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Officer, I thought they were smoking tobacco.  You mean that was marijuana that they were smoking?

Officer "ORLY?  Explain this post we found when we were looking through your computer"  ;o)
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Stand up for your rights the arfcom way.

When the po po shows up just tell them (the arfcom way) that you don't smoke but BY GOD it should be legal so they can just go on their way and quit wasting the taxpayers money.  

Then you should load up your dog in your truck and speed away and dare them to stop you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
1. MOVE

2. MOVE

3. see 1 and 2

If you don't move you stand a very good chance of ending up with a police record that will prevent you from owning a weapon of any kind. You may destroy your career before you even have one. Doesn't matter if you didn't smoke the stuff. You were in the same room and the only reason you didn't move out was you were also involved with their illegal activities.

What at least 15% of college students have smoked pot?  At Virginia Tech that would be around 4,500 students.  Out of that pool, maybe 150 end up arrested.  I'd say chances are he will be busted for underage alcohol consumption before his room mates get busted for weed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Suck it up or move.
If you stay, you will have to live with the smell and any possible legal issues.

Welcome to the real world.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
it could be worse....there could be a few n e g r o e s toking up below your window.

Thanks for that trip in the wayback maching!

Who was the OP on that one, I can't think of it dammit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#38]
1)  If I had a dime for every time I walked in on someone with a bong in college, I'd retire.
2)  Being around it doesn't mean you dig it.  I don't touch the stuff.
3)  If it makes you uncomfortable, you can seek out a new residence.  I would not, however, consider it a situation in which you have to run for the hills.
4)  I would not keep guns in the same residence.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that trip in the wayback maching!

Who was the OP on that one, I can't think of it dammit.

someone in TX....went to a Christian College....might have had Texas or a variation thereof in his handle
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I didn't read all the posts, but this is what I think.  You could stay and hope nothing ever comes of this.  On the other hand if your like any other gun nut your eventually going to bring your guns.  I know I did.  If anything ever happens the one who is least responsible for events with the most to lose usually ends up getting fucked over the most.  Ask them to remove all pot and bongs for the property.  If they don't go to the landlord and ask to get out of the lease.  If he don't release you let him know the police will get involved and when the others are no longer living there you will be living there alone and he will only be collecting your amount for the rent because thats all your responsibility.  Provided thats how the lease was signed.

Anyway, don't risk the loss of your guns with a drug conviction.  And don't forget a drug conviction follows you around for the rest of your life.  Something to think about after school and your trying to start your career.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd like to find the link to the smoker's message board about "Aw shit, we got a new roommate that is NOT going to be cool and may try to get us busted, what can we do about this guy?"

Responses:
- Fuck him, pour bong water on his laundry.

- Get to know him, might end up being a cool guy.  Don't do anything until you know more about him

- Possible to smoke in another room and be cool w/ the guy?

- Paper towel roll and dryer sheets FTW!

- Will need pics of the HS sister to know for sure.

----------------------

My take is that you'll be better off finding out more about the people than their habits and then deciding what you want to do.  These guys may just be your ticket to the very best pie of your life, but if you want to fuck it up before you get to know them then that's up to you.

In the spirit of compromise, if they smoke out of a pipe or better a one-hitter instead of a bong there will be less smoke to smell up your place AND they'll waste less weed.  You may have the chance to be the very cool non-smoking roommate and make some friends in this deal, or follow some of the advice in this thread and be a real dick.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Not sure on TX law but if they ever start selling, even small amounts there is a very real possibility you could be charged as maintaining a drug house.  If any of the sales are being conducted in areas you have control over you could hold some liability.  That would be any of the common areas.

Its your behind.

My advice tell them no smoking in the house, no selling at all.  If they don't like it you can either move or move.  Tell them if they don't like the rules you will dime up five-O.

Joe

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Another thing.  Don't listen to the ones saying they did it while in collage or they know many who do and its not a big deal.  You don't know them.  I can't tell you how many times how drugs have lead to a home invasion, homes being robbed, a deal goes bad and some one is shot, or the user didn't have all the money to pay the seller for the drugs he was fronted and was killed.  Ask any cop on this board and they will say the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Eject.  Quickly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Welcome to college

Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1. MOVE

2. MOVE

3. see 1 and 2

What at least 15% of college students have smoked pot?  At Virginia Tech that would be around 4,500 students.  Out of that pool, maybe 150 end up arrested.  I'd say chances are he will be busted for underage alcohol consumption before his room mates get busted for weed.

I agree with you, but I must say 1 in 30 sounds like shitty odds.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Another thing.  Don't listen to the ones saying they did it while in collage or they know many who do and its not a big deal.  You don't know them.  I can't tell you how many times how drugs have lead to a home invasion, homes being robbed, a deal goes bad and some one is shot, or the user didn't have all the money to pay the seller for the drugs he was fronted and was killed.  Ask any cop on this board and they will say the same thing.
 Good grief.  The stuff college kids smoke is about $45 for a 1/4 ounce.  They will pay more for kegs of beer than they will pot.  Drug dealers do not kill people for not paying for a sack of weed.  No one is going to rob a bunch of broke, pot smoking college students.  They have nothing of value to steal?  Hell most of the furniture we had in college was stuff we picked up off the street.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#48]
You can't stay there.

I remember people having to deal with this when I was at school and it never works out.

Also, you have firearms? (I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if you talked about this).

Mix guns and controlled substances and nothing good will happen.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Guys, yesterday I moved out to lubbock to attend texas tech. Im a 20 year old sophomore. To cut a long story short the first thing i see when i walk in my new apartment is my roommates (who i have not yet met) smoking a water bong on the couch. The first thing they say to me is "hey dude whats up, you smoke?" I say no. They introduce themselves to me, and then quickly ask "dude your parents arent comming are they?" Anyways, I dont mind drinking but I am not a marajuana smoker and dont plan on ever starting. I dont give a shit if they smoke themselves stupid, but i dont want it affecting me. My concerns are:

1.) The apartment living room (or my room) and items in the apartment (mine or some of the furniture provided by the apartment complex) smelling like pot. I do not want my things smelling like pot, nor do i want to have to pay and fines because the apt smells like shit.
2.) From a legal standpoint, I do not want to be considered "in possission" of their marajuana

Move
And by the way you drink illegally (20 years old) but you take offense at them breaking the law ?
That is just a little hypocritical isn't it?

I also commend you for not doing drugs, keep it that way and you'll have a much more enjoyable life.
There should be someone at the school to help you figure a way out of this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2008 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I agree with you, but I must say 1 in 30 sounds like shitty odds.
Looking back at it, I wouldn't have played those odds, but I did. One of those life lessons........
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top