Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have the brains and work ethic for it, College + ROTC.  There is still something to be said for being an officer in the military.  But you really need to excel at both the academics and the ROTC training because you want to be a good officer, get promotions, etc. and being an officer should help you get a good civilian job too.  

You could also do a 2-year enlistment and then head into an ROTC program.  There are real trade-offs.  It sounds like you might not be mature enough to really buckle down on the academics.  It should be treated like a job, and a hard job.  College should be a huge step up from high school, and while there is a bit of partying I'd expect to spend late nights in the library at least 5 nights a week.  Two years in might give you the mental maturity you need.  Physically you are close to the strongest you will ever be at age 18.  It is so much easier to get injured or sick when you are older, even age 25, and healing takes a lot longer.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
What's your ASVAB score?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What's your ASVAB score?  Just curious.

have not taken it yet
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go to school now, and consider the military later.

I really wish I'd have done that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
CG isnt maken much of an effort really to get me with them. but im talkin to the Navy recruiter tomorrow.  but still tryin to explore all my options and figure things out. dont think ill be in school. but i dont know if i want to be in the CG or Navy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#6]
UPDATE:

ive made my mind up. i want to do the Navy. i talked to the guy, this is my 3rd time. i went with my parents. my dad is real excited for me now, my mom is still a little worried. but id never thought id get my dad to come around. im so excited about it. cant wait to do it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
UPDATE:

ive made my mind up. i want to do the Navy. i talked to the guy, this is my 3rd time. i went with my parents. my dad is real excited for me now, my mom is still a little worried. but id never thought id get my dad to come around. im so excited about it. cant wait to do it.

Good for you. What will you be doing. or have you decided?

Anyway, congrats to you for signing up when we are at war.

havent decided. ive been looking at boatswains mate, gunners mate, fire man, master at arms. but i havent taken my ASVAB yet. i have the book so i want to read it before i go to take the test.  but i really want to do VBSS (visit board search and seize). and eventually i honestly really want to try out for the SEAL Teams.

Thanks thou.

take it easy
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
warning warning WARNING

Boatswains Mates do deck and small boat seamanship, real sailor men but not overly high on the respect totem pole.  Many guys end up as BMs after not making it through schools or not knowing what they really want to do. However, can be one of the most exciting rates (Rate = Job,  rating = rank)  But you also do a lot of the grunt work.  Bosuns are also often responsible for the maintenance of the outside of the ship.  But mostly a no-tech job.

Gunners Mates, if you like guns this is the rate for you.  These are the pull the trigger guys. Get a could mechanical background.

Master -at-Arms = police and law enforcement work.

"fire man" is a choice you may not be wanting to make, and you definitely don't want to put it on a dream sheet if you aren't sure EXACTLY what it means.  Fireman Recruit, Fireman Apprentice and Fireman are the E-1, E-2 and E-3, the lowest ranking members of the ENGINEERING rates.  These are not firefighters as a primary job.  They do the grunt  work in the enginerooms, fire(boiler) rooms.  Depending on the ship and it's operating activities, may put more hours in on watch running the ships hot and sweat inducing machinery.  And they occasionally are allowed up to look at the sky.  The career path is up to Electricians Mates, Machinist Mates, Boiler Technicians, Hull Maintenance Technicians, etc.  In other words, putting Fireman on your dream sheet may be the first step on a path you don't want to take.  You want to learn welding, metal working, air conditioning, running generator sets, turbines, etc.  This is the way to go.  Pit Snipes are generally well respected in that they put in longer and harder hours than almost anybody else, but are not necessarily thought of as masterminds.  On a par with Bosuns.

Now if you want to be a Firefighter, get the right rate name.  The rates I listed above, HTs (Hull Maintenance Technicians) MRs - (Machinery Repairmen) have probably been consolidated into new rate families.  The Navy has been consolidating it's job families and it's been a while since I looked up what is what now.

Just don't want you to get a rude surprise.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
warning warning WARNING

Boatswains Mates do deck and small boat seamanship, real sailor men but not overly high on the respect totem pole.  Many guys end up as BMs after not making it through schools or not knowing what they really want to do. However, can be one of the most exciting rates (Rate = Job,  rating = rank)  But you also do a lot of the grunt work.  Bosuns are also often responsible for the maintenance of the outside of the ship.  But mostly a no-tech job.

Gunners Mates, if you like guns this is the rate for you.  These are the pull the trigger guys. Get a could mechanical background.

Master -at-Arms = police and law enforcement work.

"fire man" is a choice you may not be wanting to make, and you definitely don't want to put it on a dream sheet if you aren't sure EXACTLY what it means.  Fireman Recruit, Fireman Apprentice and Fireman are the E-1, E-2 and E-3, the lowest ranking members of the ENGINEERING rates.  These are not firefighters as a primary job.  They do the grunt  work in the enginerooms, fire(boiler) rooms.  Depending on the ship and it's operating activities, may put more hours in on watch running the ships hot and sweat inducing machinery.  And they occasionally are allowed up to look at the sky.  The career path is up to Electricians Mates, Machinist Mates, Boiler Technicians, Hull Maintenance Technicians, etc.  In other words, putting Fireman on your dream sheet may be the first step on a path you don't want to take.  You want to learn welding, metal working, air conditioning, running generator sets, turbines, etc.  This is the way to go.  Pit Snipes are generally well respected in that they put in longer and harder hours than almost anybody else, but are not necessarily thought of as masterminds.  On a par with Bosuns.

Now if you want to be a Firefighter, get the right rate name.  The rates I listed above, HTs (Hull Maintenance Technicians) MRs - (Machinery Repairmen) have probably been consolidated into new rate families.  The Navy has been consolidating it's job families and it's been a while since I looked up what is what now.

Just don't want you to get a rude surprise.

the master at arms is what i really want to do. but i want to be on a ship because i want to do VBSS. the recruiter said that they are on shore alot.

but im still figuring out on what i want to do.

i appreciate the help thou.

thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#11]
The Coast Guard does not have Master at Arms - this is a Navy only rate. In the Coast Guard, all rates can attend Boarding Officer or Boarding Team Member School. The Navy is not allowed to conduct civilian law enforcement. The US Coast Guard actively enforces US Customs Laws and all other Domestic US laws on the water. The Navy has an important role but it is FORBIDDEN to enforce domestic laws - which is why it is requires to have US Coast Guard TACLETS on board for many law enforcement missions - the presence of USCG (not under Posse Commitatus) allows law enforcement missions to be conducted. Master At Arms only  police up after themselves - that is to say Sailors and Marines. The only regular "law enforcement" they conduct is under martial law and subject to ROE,etc. They cannot lawfully arrest civilians. USCG Boarding Officers are empowered with Federal law enforcement powers and can act accordingly. Very important difference.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Choose an MOS that is as close to what you are interested in doing as a career. I joined the Marine corps, but only after my recruiter guaranteed me the MOS that I wanted. Research ALL available skills and choose the one that best suits what you would like to do when you go back to civilian life. Go to any and all schools offered to you by the military! They are free and will only help you to get promoted faster. I know of friends in high school that simply joined the Navy without choosing an MOS and wound up as "deck apes" on a ship for four years. While they were unhappy with their military experience, I capitalized on mine. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#13]
been looking up things. it seems like its either going to be between gunners mate, or boatswains mate.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
been looking up things. it seems like its either going to be between gunners mate, or boatswains mate.

Be careful dude.  Just because BM is a source rate for VBSS doesnt mean thats what you will get to do.  Depending on the "needs of the Navy", and you will hear that term a lot, you might be assigned to a CVN or whatever.  If VBSS is anything like Aircrew you will have to run a request chit and they might make you wait until your second or third tour before they release you to do that.  Same with GM.  I see so many kids that hate the navy because they thought they would be doing something else and USN needs them in their rate as opposed to a billet elsewhere outside their rate.

get whatever you want to do IN WRITING..
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be careful dude.  Just because BM is a source rate for VBSS doesnt mean thats what you will get to do.  Depending on the "needs of the Navy", and you will hear that term a lot, you might be assigned to a CVN or whatever.  If VBSS is anything like Aircrew you will have to run a request chit and they might make you wait until your second or third tour before they release you to do that.  Same with GM.  I see so many kids that hate the navy because they thought they would be doing something else and USN needs them in their rate as opposed to a billet elsewhere outside their rate.

get whatever you want to do IN WRITING..

From the recruiter
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#16]
just talked to my cousin who is in the Navy. he is a SAR swimmer, and is in aviation. he said that is the best way to go. so i think thats whats going to happen. i dont want to live on a ship 365. so we'll see what happens
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
just talked to my cousin who is in the Navy. he is a SAR swimmer, and is in aviation. he said that is the best way to go. so i think thats whats going to happen. i dont want to live on a ship 365. so we'll see what happens

If you dont want to live on a ship 365, join the airforce. Its reality time.....
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you dont want to live on a ship 365, join the airforce. Its reality time.....

i couldnt do that. not something id like. i love being out on the water.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You want to go aviation?  Well I can't say anything bad since there is only a select few that get to wear gold wings.  Dude you better get down with someone who is doing what you want to do and get the skinny.  I'm in the Navy, right now, active duty, Aircrew.  You say you want  to be a GM or BM butr not do long cruises at sea on a ship?  That aint gonna happen slim..  They will send your raw recruit ass to the boat.  MA and you are a cop and will stand guard at the gate for a while and the maybe get to drive a cruiser around the base.  Then you might get to go do the boarding thing..  Bujt if you go MA know that the USN will account for 35k of ground support roles in Iraq and the Stan by end of fiscal year 07.  Guess who most will be..  MA's providing security..

If you want Aircrew then you need to get into an Aircrew billet right at MEPS.  That means AW.  It's the only Aircrew guaranteed source rate.  All A-dubs are Aircrew.  And a lot are SAR swimmers, which by the way is some tough fucking training so you better be level headed in water and in great shape.  But you will go right to the boat unless you are lucky and end up in one of the dying P-3 squadrons.  take your time.  The Navy isnt going anywhere, get good info and go from there.  Just dont go on what one person says.  You will find that once you get outr to the fleet there are a ton of sandbaggers that hate the navy and will have nothing good to say other than their job is the worst.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well...as the E-7 and above crowd used to like to say.....Sailors are meant for ships, and ships are meant for sea. Join the Navy and you will more often than not, be spending ALOT of time out to sea. I was on a sub, and there were no GM/BM/MA etc....BUT when I did get on surface ships guess who was there.....MA.....you dont get to just play cops on land
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Dont sign up for ANY branch of the military based on some promise of special capabilites or a special unit. It could happen but recruiters routinely lie and bullshit prospective recruits. And if you consider Gunner's Mate as a career field, there is no guarantee that you will be handling small arms - especially in the Navy - where GM often entails missiles or larger weapons systems.

I still say go Coast Guard. We have at least 5 prior Navy guys at my unit - most veterans of Iraq or Kosovo/Bosnia ops. We also have 3 former Marines here and 4 prior Army.

If you go in the Navy - and don't like the ocean for extended periods of time you are a fool. Expect to be away for at least six month patrols at sea.  

Navy SEAL is a noble goal. Keeping in mind that if you do not make BUDS you will be back to a generic job quite possibly. I've met young "kids" who were MAA's in the Navy who tried out for BUDS but didnt make it. Consider ALL possibilities. As an MAA, your main "law enforcement" duty will likely be to pick up drunk sailors and Marines and take them back to the ship. If you want to conduct federal law enforcement and arrest criminals, your only real choice is the Coast Guard.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:48:53 AM EDT
[#22]
yesterday i went to talk to the CG recruiter in the bronx. about an hour away from my house. hartford still hasnt callin me back. but no big deal. after talking to both sides. i shouldnt of made my descion before i did. i havent signed anything yet. and right now im considering both options. school is out of the question. unless something that really catch's my eye. but right now. im going back and forth about the Navy and CG. so im back to where i started. trying to figure out the two. so ill give an update when i decide, and if anything else happens. but any input on either service id appreciate. J_smith thanks for all the help, as for everyone else.

Take Care
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#23]
anyone have anything else?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#24]
UPDATE:

im working with the recruiting station in the bronx. im going to take my ASVAB the 25 and my physical on the 26th. so im almost done with this. i cant wait to sign. i got a book to study for my test. so we'll see.

thanks for all the information and help.

take care.

Charlie
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top