Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Floppy said:

I had this same problem a couple years ago:
by turns of various events, I ended up with several hundred rounds of 223,,, and no 223-cal gun to shoot them. No mil surp, all reloads (none I reloaded; some commercial, some from the local shop/range). And all of it over ten years old now.   snip

Sorry, Floppy, but that's definately the stupidest thing I've heard in '07 so far.

Yeah, can you say compontents.

I can say it, but it sounds silly.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Best ideas:

1. Shoot it.

2. Give it away.

3. Use a bullet puller. Remove the powder. Pour it out on dirt or grass.

4. Squirt WD-40 in case to deaden the primer.

5. Dump steel or brass case and bullets in trash.

Warning! Read the other day where some kid put a unspecified ammo round in a vise to hold it while he attempted to pull the bullet with pliars to get to the powder. Want to guess wht happened?? ......Give up?...... BOOM!...... Got Shot!

Gads! I can't believe some of the shit I'm reading on this thread on how to dispose of live ammo!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How's that funny...?

We have plenty of ammo here already.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
Taffy

Apparently.

To wit;  ( LINK )
http://www.guardian-series.co.uk

Bullet found in doorway
LIVE ammunition has been found lying in the doorway of a busy high street shop.

The .22 calibre short round bullet was found at the entrance of the 99p Stores in Walthamstow High Street on Wednesday morning, November 1.

Haroon Khan, who has a firearms licence and is a member of a local gun club, was alarmed to discover live ammunition in a Walthamstow doorway.

The bullet, of Swiss origin, was still in its brass casing, complete with enough gunpowder for it to fire itself.

Mr Khan said that if it had been struck hard enough or exposed to heat it could have gone off.

"This sort of thing should not be lying around. It was live, primed and active," he said. "But rather me pick it up than a little kid.

"How can you feel safe when you are finding things like this on the street?

"To get hold of one of these is not easy. You have to go through a scrutinised search, you need a licence and you have to belong to a club."

Ammunition of this kind would ordinarily be used in a small handgun or pistol, and both can be owned legally under licence.

But to leave strictly controlled goods out in the street would be enough for a firearms licence to be revoked.

The bullet has been examined at a Metropolitan Police laboratory and details about it kept for future reference.

A police spokesman said: "Recovering firearms and ammunition is a priority for the police. We take the same view of ammunition as we do of a gun.

"If it goes bang, it is still lethal."

Police are treating the unattended ammunition as a crime. Mr Khan alerted them at 10.16am, and they arrived at his shop to pick up the bullet at 11.32am.

7:00pm Thursday 9th November 2006

By David Williams

Back
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The thing about the bullets is that the shop told me that they wouldn't consider it reliable to use anymore, so they wouldn't take it for shooting purposes.

As for components, it's maybe three hundred rounds (now left), it's low-priced stuff and I don't know anyone that shoots much 223 at all. The few people I did know that reloaded only did so for pistols. And I don't know any of those people now.

....Around where I live there are no public outdoor rifle ranges within at least an hour's drive one-way, so there's very few people that get much into rifle shooting. Unless you own a farm, there's nowhere to do it.
~
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Mail it to Japan and they'll declare a national state of emergency!  

CJ
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The thing about the bullets is that the shop told me that they wouldn't consider it reliable to use anymore, so they wouldn't take it for shooting purposes.

As for components, it's maybe three hundred rounds (now left), it's low-priced stuff and I don't know anyone that shoots much 223 at all. The few people I did know that reloaded only did so for pistols. And I don't know any of those people now.

....Around where I live there are no public outdoor rifle ranges within at least an hour's drive one-way, so there's very few people that get much into rifle shooting. Unless you own a farm, there's nowhere to do it.
~

It does not matter that it is low priced stuff...

It will stay good for over 50 years...

Why not just hold onto it and give it away when you have the opportunity...
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Pull the bullet out without deforming the case neck too much.

Dump the powder.  Burn it.

Chamber the cases and fire the primers.  Clean the rifle.  

or

Put a few drops of oil in the empty case so it pools in the primer.  Let it sit for a few days then throw the cases away.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Take it to a Local gun shop (not walmart)  and give it to the clerk... Im sure it will be on the shelf pretty quick,..
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top