Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Aum Shinrikyo isn't actually Buddhist. They are one of the many fairly odd sects of Japanese religion collectively known as "New Religions". These religions have a LOT of different varieties, but most borrow liberally from Shinto, Taoism, Christianity, Hinduism, and other, stranger things. But calling Aum Shinrykyo a Buddhist sect is incorrect.

View Quote

Demonstrating once again that the wealth of knowledge represented on this board is ASTOUNDING.

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
From the website:

"The Landover Baptist Church® is a satirical newsletter/website published by Americhrist Ltd.

landoverbaptist.com/.org enjoy an average of 215,000 unique sessions, 1.3 million unique pageviews, and over 24 million hits per month.

The Landover Baptist Church® uses invented names in every article, except in cases when public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental. "

You know, this is what irks me about some "true believers"- they can mock and be sarcastic when it suits them, and object to it when it doesn't.  This website is a masterful use of satire.  ALL of us have used satire and sarcasm here, some *much* more often than others.

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.  And if you do dish it out, realize that a sanctimonious tone in your responses makes you  look sorta idiotic.

And this really is my last post on the subject.  Really really.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#3]
That's strange, [b]Spearweasel[/b], they claim to be!

See discussion in [url]http://www.uni-marburg.de/religionswissenschaft/journal/mjr/rev2_3_98.html[/url]

[url]http://www.uni-marburg.de/religionswissenschaft/journal/mjr/rev2_3_98.html[/url]

Eric The(Gone!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You know, this is what irks me about some "true believers"- they can mock and be sarcastic when it suits them, and object to it when it doesn't.  .
View Quote

Ahhh, once again, the shadowy, unnamed, mysterious,  hypocritical Christian boogeyman. Let's just call him "Myron" for convenience sake.

That Myron - I can't stand him either. I just someone would tell me who he is, and where he lives. I'd give him "what for."

[rolleyes]

Ya know, DScott-

Your responsibility before God has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what "Myron" is doing. It has EVERYTHING to do with what YOU are doing.

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[rolleyes]

Small things easily entertain small minds.

[}:D]

View Quote

How un -christian of you to say that oh holy one. I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting thread

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=87377[/url]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How un -christian of you to say that oh holy one. I'm shocked.
View Quote

Feel free to dispute the truth of my statement.

Nowhere did Christ say to ONLY speak the truth when it was flattering of others.

Oh, and don't call me "holy." There is One alone who is holy. And I ain't He.

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Eric -

I'm merely making sure my identification with Christ is clear.[img]jesusoftheweek.com/art/j2k1-16.gif[/img]

View Quote

That's great news for all of us. We've wondered for so long what you relationship with christ actually was. Now I can finally get some sleep. No more tossing and turning wondering what garandmans position on christ actually is. Wheeeeeew!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a nice story about Buddhism in Sri Lanka, gee, I sure hope that this Buddhism in Sri Lanka is the same as Buddhism elsewhere, I guess I'll find out soon, eh?

"The most common religion in Sri Lanka is Buddhism, the religion of the Sinhalese. Renowned for its doctrines of peace and nonviolence, it teaches respect for all life and even tolerance of other religious traditions. Yet the Buddhist majority in Sri Lanka has tolerated and even participated in violence and civil war spanning more than a decade. The use of Buddhism as a vehicle to promote nationalism, and indeed to justify violence, is perhaps one of the strangest aspects of the conflict. This seeming contradiction stems from the relationship of Buddhism with politics—a relationship rooted in history, but transformed with the addition of modern nationalism into a potent force for political extremism. The result is a popular religion that no longer represents the teachings of its founder, but instead promotes the particular interests of the Sinhalese ethnicity to the exclusion of all other groups.

http://people.we.mediaone.net/maitree/thesis/ap-3budd.htm[/url]

See how the Tamil people enjoy the Buddhists of Sri Lanka:
[url]http://members.tripod.com/FionaCampbell/theravada_buddism_in_the_civil_war.htm[/url]

Eric The(SoundsLikeABunchOfBaptistsToMe)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eric -

I'm merely making sure my identification with Christ is clear.

View Quote

That's great news for all of us. We've wondered for so long what you relationship with christ actually was. Now I can finally get some sleep. No more tossing and turning wondering what garandmans position on christ actually is. Wheeeeeew!!!
View Quote

That's me - ALWAYS thinking of the other guy!!!

[:D]

You don't have to thank me - I woulda done it fer anybody!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ is God..and God will not be mocked..do so at your own peril.
We will all have to face Him at the end of our lives...and He will either have taken on our sin or we will...Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess Jesus as Lord...That is a Fact!it is not fiction..enjoy your pleasure at mocking Him for season..for pleasure has its season..All that mocks God amuses satan
View Quote

Ummm...Im not sure I understand. Could you explain it once again, I was under the impression that.....
[img]jesusoftheweek.com/art/j2k1-5.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#12]
EricTheHun,

Why should I have no problem finding where Muslims criticize Buddha?  I neither read not understand Arabic, Mandarin or many of the other languages that would probably be used in this.  Nor do I frequent Muslim or Buddhist sites.   I do know that the Taliban destroyed every statue of Buddha it could get its hand upon during its rein in the name of Islam.  That is a pretty good sign of hate.  BTW lets get back to your original quote:

[I]Does anyone, anywhere, bear such a grudge against Mohammad? Against Buddha? Against Zarathustra? Against any other founder of any other religion? Or any religious leader?[I]
View Quote

I think destroying every Buddha you can get your hands on is a pretty big grudge.  

By the same token if God is everywhere you should be able to prove God exists.  

You know a lot of Muslims.  Do they insult your religion?  Do you insult theirs?  Do either of you insult Buddha? Your points just help me prove mine.  Do you know what they say in private when no Christians are around?

Of course Muslims do not have a problem with Jesus since he is considered a profit in Islam.

Are you “Holier than thou”?  Maybe that whole “I work with Muslims, I talk with Muslims, Heck I even lower myself to eat with Muslims” thing was a holier than thou play….

What I am saying is that you are in this country and thus most of what you are exposed to is what happens in this country and more specifically around you.  I am just pointing out the obvious that you may just PERCIEVE that Jesus is bashed more because of where you live and what sites you visit.  Most Muslims do not write in English so I am sure you are not exposed to much of what a divers population of Muslims think.  Do you think that your experiences are just like everyone else’s in the world?

I am just trying to get you to think globally.

What you say has an effect on those around you. I know you discuss your religion so I can assume that in your discussions people may speak to you about your religion.  When others speak of your religion you may interpret what they say as hate when they just do not agree with you.  

I think it is impossible for a Buddhist to murder.  It would be like someone saying they are straight (ie: Not gay) when they have a cock in their mouth.  It is just so ingrained in the religion that I would find it hard to believe a Buddhist could kill someone beside himself in protest.  

Well all I did was ask you some questions and make some points.  Glad to see you came back at me with some of that “turn the other cheek” Christian wholesomeness in the form of personal insults.  

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]

I think it is impossible for a Buddhist to murder.  It would be like someone saying they are straight (ie: Not gay) when they have a cock in their mouth.  It is just so ingrained in the religion that I would find it hard to believe a Buddhist could kill someone beside himself in protest.
View Quote

-Velveeta
View Quote

Were any of the Japanese soldiers in WWII Buddhists?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think it is impossible for a Buddhist to murder.  It would be like someone saying they are straight (ie: Not gay) when they have a cock in their mouth.  
-Velveeta
View Quote

GREAT illustration.

Yeah - that's pretty much the first thought that comes to my mind when I'm trying to illustrate the concept of "paradox." [rolleyes]

[}:D]

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's strange, [b]Spearweasel[/b], they claim to be!

See discussion in [url]http://www.uni-marburg.de/religionswissenschaft/journal/mjr/rev2_3_98.html[/url]

[url]http://www.uni-marburg.de/religionswissenschaft/journal/mjr/rev2_3_98.html[/url]

Eric The(Gone!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Indeed they do. They base some of their beliefs on end-time theology, drawn from Mahayana Buddhist eschatology. The Buddhists call their End Time "mappo", and many of the Japanese New Religions and most Japanese Buddhist sects incorporate a belief in Mappo, but Aum Shinrikyo also incorporates a lot of other things into a hideous mishmash that gives theologians and comp-religion students indigestion.

A platypus has a bill and webbed feet and lives in the water, but it's not a duck.

A Jackalope (Tx myth) has antlers, but it's not a deer.

Aum Shinrikyo has Mappo and a few other Buddhist bits, but it isn't Buddhism.

I can dig up some links if you are interested... I did my Master's thesis on this kinda crap. :)
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Post from Velveeta -
Are you “Holier than thou”? Maybe that whole “I work with Muslims, I talk with Muslims, Heck I even lower myself to eat with Muslims” thing was a holier than thou play….
View Quote

Why? I never said it was 'lowering' myself to eat with anyone.
Do you think that your experiences are just like everyone else’s in the world?
View Quote

Pretty much, love, hate, disappointment, joy, relief, stuff like that, and we all seem to watch the same channels nowadays, listen to the same people, read the same newspapers, surf the same internet. And it's not just because I'm fluent in Farsi, Mandarin Chinese, Hindi, Pashtun, or any other foreign language. They have all pretty much been translated into English. You know, the universal language.
View Quote

Of that, you can be assured, my cheesiness.
When others speak of your religion you may interpret what they say as hate when they just do not agree with you.
View Quote

Maybe so, maybe so. But my Leader told me to be as wise as serpents and not to be misled by the World. I believe I know when His Name is being abused and when it is mentioned in enlightened discussion of religion.
I think it is impossible for a Buddhist to murder.
View Quote

Just as it is for a Christian to murder, because when they murder they are no longer a Christian. If that's what you mean when you say 'no Buddhist can murder' then I will agree!

If it's not, then you will have to explain a lot to some Tamil widows and orphans whose loved ones have been murdered by Sinhalese Buddhists!

But I doubt that's what you meant, so surely a Christian can murder just as easily as a Buddhist!

There is even a line from one of their vedas, that says it is 'right to kill one in order to save two.'
Glad to see you came back at me with some of that “turn the other cheek” Christian wholesomeness in the form of personal insults.
View Quote

Forgive me, but I was under the impression that the name 'Velveeta' was one that you chose for yourself for humorous reasons. I had no idea it was your given or family name! I am so sorry. Please forgive me.

Eric The(TurningTheOther'Cheese'MightBeBetter)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus Christ is God..and God will not be mocked..do so at your own peril.
We will all have to face Him at the end of our lives...and He will either have taken on our sin or we will...Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess Jesus as Lord...That is a Fact!it is not fiction..enjoy your pleasure at mocking Him for season..for pleasure has its season..All that mocks God amuses satan
View Quote

Ummm...Im not sure I understand. Could you explain it once again, I was under the impression that.....
[img]jesusoftheweek.com/art/j2k1-5.gif[/img]
View Quote

Seriously, will someone explain this to me?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, this is what irks me about some "true believers"- they can mock and be sarcastic when it suits them, and object to it when it doesn't.  .
View Quote

Ahhh, once again, the shadowy, unnamed, mysterious,  hypocritical Christian boogeyman. Let's just call him "Myron" for convenience sake.

That Myron - I can't stand him either. I just someone would tell me who he is, and where he lives. I'd give him "what for."

[rolleyes]

Ya know, DScott-

Your responsibility before God has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what "Myron" is doing. It has EVERYTHING to do with what YOU are doing.

View Quote

If what you mean is that nothing we say here really matters, I do believe you're right.  Except that "Myron" seems to think it's his responsibility to constantly point out when EVERYTHING that OTHERS are doing is WRONG in the eyes of Jesus and God, rather than keeping his spiritual relationships PERSONAL and PRIVATE.  As a matter of fact, poor little "Myron" seems to NEED to CHALLENGE and BELITTLE, nay, actually MOCK the ideas and beliefs of others, often in a SARCASTIC and at times SATIRICAL manner.  Yet, poor "Myron" objects when he believes he is on the RECEIVING end of such mockery.  

Perhaps "Myron" could use a little more face time with Betty Bowers...

[img]http://www.bettybowers.com/graphics/bettyindexnew2.gif[/img]

[url]http://www.bettybowers.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Post from Velveeta -
Are you “Holier than thou”? Maybe that whole “I work with Muslims, I talk with Muslims, Heck I even lower myself to eat with Muslims” thing was a holier than thou play….
View Quote

Why? I never said it was 'lowering' myself to eat with anyone.
View Quote

Well then why even mention that you are eating with them?  Does it matter what they are if they are your friends?  Do you think I am impressed?  I work wit, eat with and socialize with Muslims as well.  Are you unique?  
Do you think that your experiences are just like everyone else’s in the world?
View Quote

Pretty much, love, hate, disappointment, joy, relief, stuff like that,
View Quote

You mention, love, hate, disappointment, relief…..  But do you love and hate the same things as everyone else?  You also leave out FEAR, HUNGER and GRIEF.  The American experience is not the average experience.  We have no idea what the average person’s life is like.  
and we all seem to watch the same channels nowadays, listen to the same people, read the same newspapers, surf the same internet. And it's not just because I'm fluent in Farsi, Mandarin Chinese, Hindi, Pashtun, or any other foreign language. They have all pretty much been translated into English. You know, the universal language.
View Quote

Again this is what I disagree with you about. You are very American centric and do not seem to realize that there are many people in the world that are not like us.  Most people do not have their own TV.  The majority of Muslims for one are illiterate.  The majority of people do not read the papers you read.  The majority of people do not have their own computer let alone the Internet.  They may watch some of the same shows and some of the same movies but they come away with different thoughts.  Lots of non-Americans that have seen Jerry Springer think all Americans are like they see there.  And Baywatch too!  MTV is not the same in every country. They have their own versions in most regions.  English is not the Universal language and in the next century when I believe China most probably takes its role as the major world power its use will wane.    
View Quote

Of that, you can be assured, my cheesiness.
View Quote

But you think you have the same experiences as the average person.  This is untrue.  We are Americans and pretty much pampered.  We do not have the best of everything but we have on e of the best standards of living in the world, and much of that standard of living is at the expense of other people and some people hate us for that and other perceived “wrongs”.  
(continued below)
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]
(continued from above)
When others speak of your religion you may interpret what they say as hate when they just do not agree with you.
View Quote

Maybe so, maybe so. But my Leader told me to be as wise as serpents and not to be misled by the World. I believe I know when His Name is being abused and when it is mentioned in enlightened discussion of religion.
View Quote

Yeah, how many people died because someone believed God meant this or God meant that.  
I think it is impossible for a Buddhist to murder.
View Quote

Just as it is for a Christian to murder, because when they murder they are no longer a Christian. If that's what you mean when you say 'no Buddhist can murder' then I will agree!
View Quote

I am not a Buddhist and I have never studied Buddhism.  Selflessness and peace just seem to be a peaceful part of Buddhism that you would have to be very warped to commit murder as a Buddhist.  We know that Christians and Muslims can kill, but the BASIC tenets of Buddhism seem to be peaceful.   Though I cannot be sure if it positively cannot be twisted into violence.  It just seems a lot harder to me.  

If it's not, then you will have to explain a lot to some Tamil widows and orphans whose loved ones have been murdered by Sinhalese Buddhists!
View Quote

Yeah, I am not sure of the deal here but to me it seems like an extreme for Buddhists to try to set up a “pure Buddhist state”. I think they are to supposed to free themselves from materialism not get more involved in it.  

But I doubt that's what you meant, so surely a Christian can murder just as easily as a Buddhist!
View Quote

No, I did not.  Some Christians have killed like it is going out of style and still preach to others it is wrong to kill.  I have even heard a new translation of “Thou shalt not kill” to “Thou shalt not murder”, I presume so Christians can kill more.

There is even a line from one of their vedas, that says it is 'right to kill one in order to save two.'
View Quote

Sounds logical to me.  
Glad to see you came back at me with some of that “turn the other cheek” Christian wholesomeness in the form of personal insults.
View Quote

Forgive me, but I was under the impression that the name 'Velveeta' was one that you chose for yourself for humorous reasons. I had no idea it was your given or family name! I am so sorry. Please forgive me.
View Quote

It is not my surname, but as a Christian and a moderator should you really be insulting people?
Eric The(TurningTheOther'Cheese'MightBeBetter)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Post from Velveeta -
Well then why even mention that you are eating with them? Does it matter what they are if they are your friends? Do you think I am impressed? I work wit, eat with and socialize with Muslims as well. Are you unique?
View Quote

I'm unique, but not because of that! Who cares if you're impressed or not, you asked me how many Muslims, etc...I told you.
You mention, love, hate, disappointment, relief….. But do you love and hate the same things as everyone else? You also leave out FEAR, HUNGER and GRIEF. The American experience is not the average experience. We have no idea what the average person’s life is like.
View Quote

Pardon me, Velveeta, but just how do you know whether I've experienced fear, hunger, or grief? Is there NO fear, hunger and grief in America? I believe that I've experienced all of those matters, quite frankly, and that is simply something you can't deny.
Again this is what I disagree with you about. You are very American centric and do not seem to realize that there are many people in the world that are not like us. Most people do not have their own TV. The majority of Muslims for one are illiterate.
View Quote

Ooops, this is not a good thread for you. How are most people in the world 'not like us'? They are, in fact, amazingly like us! They may speak different languages, worship other gods, have different standards of living, but, by and large their lives are not so different from ours! Hey, who's the ethnocentric here, me or you? Most Americans believe their lives are extremely different that others. Only in the details, but not in the larger matters.

The majority of Moslems in the world [u]are[/u] literate. You may check this out at the CIA's website that breaks down each nation's information. I will try and get the url address for this website.
English is not the Universal language and in the next century when I believe China most probably takes its role as the major world power its use will wane.
View Quote

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! You cannot mean that! You simply cannot mean what you just said! The English language is well on its way to becoming the Latin of the next millenia!

The very idea that you believe that Chinese will be the next major language is so absurd as to defy comprehension! Which of the 300 dialects of Chinese will European schoolchildren learn?

Have you ever even seen a Chinese typewriter?Have you seen a computer keyboard in Mandarin Chinese!

My God, Velveeta, the language has almost 4,000 characters! How can they possibly be learned as a second language by anyone during  
their lifetime?

English is used today in China as an official commercial language, it is a mandatory subject in Chinese schools, not in just one or two levels, but in every level! In their colleges!

Jet aircraft are piloted by captains who must speak and understand English all over the globe, ships at sea are routinely given shipping directives and emergency warnings in English, and you think that all this is going to change to accomodate the Chinese? Get real!
It is not my surname, but as a Christian and a moderator should you really be insulting people?
View Quote

Insulting? Insulting you by giving you a few jibes over your chosen Board name? Did I not ask your pardon? If you are worried about being joked with over your Board name, please choose another name that does not lend itself to a little bit of clean humor!

Eric The(AreYouFunningMe?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How many Buddhists do you see in this country trying to tell everyone else how to live?
View Quote

The Dali Lama constantly proselytizes his philosophy before the UN and any other Gov't group who will listen - to the praise of the media. But let the Pope get up before the UN and proselytize and he's picketted and protested outside by anti-Catholic, anti-Christian atheistic lunatics - all to the delight of the media. Double standard?

Have you ever heard of a Buddhist who started a cult and killed all of his followers?
-Velveeta
View Quote

No, buddhists just set THEMSELVES on fire. Now THAT'S a real peace-loving religion [whacko]

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#23]
My little experimental theory proved to be correct. Many zealot Christians do not understand that sometimes THEY are the butt of the joke. Not God.

I posted this link knowing full well that a bunch of people would automatically assume that this website was making fun of Christ. Not the case. Nor would I advocate such a potentially blasphemous act.

My point to it all is that if you want to witness the gospel to people, you have to live it. Living it is the most powerful sales technique of all. Running it into the ground by harranguing people about it is a poor way to witness.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My little experimental theory proved to be correct.

View Quote

My little experimental theory proved to be correct.  Huns and Cheese do not play well together.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm unique, but not because of that! Who cares if you're impressed or not, you asked me how many Muslims, etc...I told you.
View Quote

Yup and you gave me the answer.  Not many.  

Pardon me, Velveeta, but just how do you know whether I've experienced fear, hunger, or grief? Is there NO fear, hunger and grief in America? I believe that I've experienced all of those matters, quite frankly, and that is simply something you can't deny.

View Quote

The point being you do not experience them enough to put them in your list.  They just are not that important to you.  And I can deny anything you say if I wish.

Ooops, this is not a good thread for you. How are most people in the world 'not like us'? They are, in fact, amazingly like us!
View Quote

Yes, in many ways.  But they are amazingly different from us as well!  We are a nation unlike any other.  I was speaking with a friend of mine from Australia the other day.  She said that America is amazing because she can go into the grocery store and go to the salad dressing AISLE and look for the exact kind of salad dressing she wishes. If she finds nothing she likes she can get back in her car and drive 10 minutes to another store and check their salad dressing aisle in that store.  If she still does not find what she wishes she might be able to go to a store that specializes in salad dressings.  She says that it just is not like that in Australia though she still loves Australia and plans to move back there. I do not consider Australia third world and I think their experiences are quite different from ours.

They may speak different languages, worship other gods, have different standards of living, but, by and large their lives are not so different from ours!
View Quote

But no so like ours either!

Hey, who's the ethnocentric here, me or you? Most Americans believe their lives are extremely different that others. Only in the details, but not in the larger matters.
View Quote

It is the details that matter though.  In some countries they do not have freedom of religion.  Just a small detail right Eric?  In some countries they do not have a stable economy, like Argentina for instance.  Just a small detail right Eric? Other countries have the US bossing them around where we have no perceived bully bossing us around.  Just a small detail Eric?  

The majority of Moslems in the world are literate. You may check this out at the CIA's website that breaks down each nation's information. I will try and get the url address for this website.
View Quote

See if you can get me the details on the literacy rate of the Muslim religion.  

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! You cannot mean that! You simply cannot mean what you just said! The English language is well on its way to becoming the Latin of the next millenia!
View Quote

You mean dead?  How many people do you know that converse exclusively in Latin? Thanks for helping prove my point.  

The very idea that you believe that Chinese will be the next major language is so absurd as to defy comprehension! Which of the 300 dialects of Chinese will European schoolchildren learn?
View Quote

Maybe Mandarin or Cantonese?
(continued below)
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#26]
(continued from above)

Have you ever even seen a Chinese typewriter?Have you seen a computer keyboard in Mandarin Chinese!

My God, Velveeta, the language has almost 4,000 characters! How can they possibly be learned as a second language by anyone during their lifetime?
View Quote

WOW!  You are anchored in the past! What makes you think that they will even need keyboards?  Why do you think that they will be unable to overcome any obstacle to becoming a technological power?  They have already announced plans for a moon mission I believe.  

English is used today in China as an official commercial language, it is a mandatory subject in Chinese schools, not in just one or two levels, but in every level! In their colleges!
View Quote

Many countries learn English because we are THE major consumer.  Once there is a larger consumer (Think China or possibly India) they will learn that language.  It has all happened before.    

Jet aircraft are piloted by captains who must speak and understand English all over the globe, ships at sea are routinely given shipping directives and emergency warnings in English, and you think that all this is going to change to accomodate the Chinese? Get real!
View Quote

What do those have to do with anything?  Pilots could still retain speaking in English as a trade convenience while businessmen learn the language of their biggest customer.  Things have changed in the past and will continue to change.  

Insulting? Insulting you by giving you a few jibes over your chosen Board name? Did I not ask your pardon? If you are worried about being joked with over your Board name, please choose another name that does not lend itself to a little bit of clean humor!

Eric The(AreYouFunningMe?)Hun
View Quote

The same could be said of your Jesus.  Change his name to something that does not lend itself to a little bit of clean humor.[;)]

-Velveeta
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
(continued from above)

My God, Velveeta, the language has almost 4,000 characters! How can they possibly be learned as a second language by anyone during their lifetime?
View Quote

WOW!  You are anchored in the past! What makes you think that they will even need keyboards?  Why do you think that they will be unable to overcome any obstacle to becoming a technological power?  They have already announced plans for a moon mission I believe.  

View Quote

Many countries learn English because we are THE major consumer.  Once there is a larger consumer (Think China or possibly India) they will learn that language.  It has all happened before.    

View Quote

I believe the number of character is close to ten thousand - not that it matters.

What does matter to the United States is last numbers I saw reported that we have more people studying "LATIN" than we do Chinese.

Sorry for the interuption and   "Now back to the Saturday afternoon fights."

[smoke]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top