Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
no!! he should be shot for being a fucking coward for not ascending the stairs when the Jew guy got stuck fighting his Nazi friend..

It wasn't Steamboat WIllie that killed Melesch (sp?), that was a SS guy. But it was Steamboat Willie who shot Capt. Miller.

Exactly, I had a guy swear up and down it was the same guy.  I could not convince him.  One was Wehrmacht(MG42/Tom Hanks shooter) and one was SS(Hand to hand fight/bayonet stabbing).  I guess the confusion was with all the shaved heads which I could not understand.  Germans often had notoriously long hair with low or medium white walls.

if this is the case, that German spared Uham's life. Shooting him is completely unacceptable.

ETA: Wait, so the SS guy spared Upham?

Yes, it was an SS guy and not the Wehrmacht 42 gunner.  This must be a common misconception.

Ok... so SS guy in the house spared Upham (and he's out of the movie after that.)

Upham then shoots Steamboat Willie in the line up? That's entirely unacceptable then. I thought he shot Steamboat for killing his friend (which at least would have an obvious justification.)
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no!! he should be shot for being a fucking coward for not ascending the stairs when the Jew guy got stuck fighting his Nazi friend..

It wasn't Steamboat WIllie that killed Melesch (sp?), that was a SS guy. But it was Steamboat Willie who shot Capt. Miller.

Exactly, I had a guy swear up and down it was the same guy.  I could not convince him.  One was Wehrmacht(MG42/Tom Hanks shooter) and one was SS(Hand to hand fight/bayonet stabbing).  I guess the confusion was with all the shaved heads which I could not understand.  Germans often had notoriously long hair with low or medium white walls.

if this is the case, that German spared Uham's life. Shooting him is completely unacceptable.

Yes, it was an SS guy and not the Wehrmacht 42 gunner.  This must be a common misconception.

It really is, I can't tell you how many times I have had to explain that the wehrmacht soldier is not the the one who killed Melish.

ETA:

Originally
Posted By Kstanton:

Originally
Posted By Citadel-SC:

Quoted:

Originally Posted
By Citadel-SC:

Quoted:

Originally Posted
By Cowboy1967:

no!! he should be shot for being a fucking
coward for not ascending the stairs when the Jew guy got stuck fighting
his Nazi friend..

It wasn't Steamboat WIllie that killed
Melesch (sp?), that was a SS guy. But it was Steamboat Willie who shot
Capt. Miller.

Exactly, I had a guy swear up and down it was
the same guy.  I could not convince him.  One was Wehrmacht(MG42/Tom
Hanks shooter) and one was SS(Hand to hand fight/bayonet stabbing).  I
guess the confusion was with all the shaved heads which I could not
understand.  Germans often had notoriously long hair with low or medium
white walls.

if this is the case, that German spared Uham's
life. Shooting him is completely unacceptable.

ETA: Wait, so the
SS guy spared Upham?

Yes, it was an SS guy and not the
Wehrmacht 42 gunner.  This must be a common misconception.

Ok...
so SS guy in the house spared Upham (and he's out of the movie after
that.)

Upham then shoots Steamboat Willie in the line up? That's
entirely unacceptable then. I thought he shot Steamboat for killing his
friend (which at least would have an obvious justification.)

You got it right, although the way they portrayed it, it was steamboat willie who shot Miller in the chest.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#3]

5:00min mark.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought he shot Steamboat for killing his friend (which at least would have an obvious justification.)

Upham did watch him shoot the Capt.

http://www.sproe.com/s/steamboat-comparison.html

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Ahhh steamboat willie says "I know this soldier, I know this man." Upham says "Hold up your snout" to which SW says "Upham" and then SW is shot.

Edit for quoting.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused. Big ass argument, credits, rewinding the tape (yeah, pre IMDB VHS days) to figure out that the stabber guy wasn't Steamboat Willie. And the whole time he was the dude Upham shot.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Those Nazis weren't surrendering, they were just taking a rest before reloading.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No!  That jackass told them he loved America, then when they let him go to turn himself in, he fought for the Germans again.

He lied.

They're different characters, actually.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably been said already but he should have been lined up and shot by a firing squad for cowardnice!I hate the fucker.Fuck Opam.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Technically yes.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that some things are best left in the field.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#12]
It's Upham.

Quoted:

Its Cpl. Timothy P. Upham

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is why war is hell.

Of which I know next to nothing.

So I don't know the answer.

So true, but in seeing real war films there have been scenes of germans surrendering and getting shot by americans.Are they wrong for doing so?I sure the hell cant judge them because I didnt have to walk in their boots and go thru the hell that they did. Do I fault them,hell no.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#14]
One other minor thing,the BAR gunner,I have his jacket that says BROOKLYN,NY, fuckin great jacket.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I always thought that the SW guy was never seen again after being released, and that the guy Upham shot was the guy from inside the house. No other scenario had ever occurred to me, so now I have something new to look for the next time I watch it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Guess back then,when some guy that was just shooting at you tries to surrender, shooting one more won't make a difference.In the begining landing scene,when they capture the bunkers,they shoot 2 germans trying to surrender. Capt. Miller just looks and rolls his eyes.

It is,what it is.

Those weren't Germans.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]
War is hell.  Put it this way if you were caught by a bunch of germans and asked to be let go, and they let you go as long as you promised to turn yourself into a german patrol are you going to?  My guess is you aren't and you would just go back to the nearest base and start fighting the germans again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#18]
No.

War.  Shit happens.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess back then,when some guy that was just shooting at you tries to surrender, shooting one more won't make a difference.In the begining landing scene,when they capture the bunkers,they shoot 2 germans trying to surrender. Capt. Miller just looks and rolls his eyes.

It is,what it is.

Those weren't Germans.

Then what were they? One even had a Hitler Youth Knife.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It is,what it is.

They were actually Poles trying to tell them that they were being forced to fight for the Germans and wanted to surrender.

In Uphams case though I got the vibe that German was trying to sweet talk his way close enought to Uphams M1

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I always hated that scene. It would have been better if the Germans recognized that Upham was not going to shoot them, and shot him instead. Not that I was rooting for the Germans. We can't all be HSLD operators, and Upham made it clear in the staircase scene that he was useful as a translator but useless in a fight. I don't know where he got the gumption to go all Rambo on the Germans, but the change rang false with me.

I say this in full recognition of the fact that Upham is the character I most resemble in that movie. It's just that I respect that badassery is not something that visits itself upon hapless geeks but instead is something both inherent and earned.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, I had a guy swear up and down it was the same guy.  I could not convince him.  One was Wehrmacht and one was SS.  I guess the confusion was with all the shaved heads which I could not understand.  Germans had often had notoriously long hair with low or medium white walls.

Hollywood thought you couldn't hate them enough if they weren't skinheads. That said, shooting prisoners is counter productive. Surrendering en masse because they know they will be fairly treated is better than them fighting to the last man and taking as many of you with them.
it is interesting you guys mentioned that

my grandfather only killed one man he was aware of (I'm sure his 105mm battery killed a few more ) in WWII and he said he still remembers the pile of blond hair that flopped out of his helmet

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, we don't know why. Maybe he doesn't shoot pussies.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
No!  That jackass told them he loved America, then when they let him go to turn himself in, he fought for the Germans again.

He lied.

eta
Upham shot "steamboat Willie" and not Melishs killer?

Damn, I need to watch it again.

Ya he shot the guy that they previously captured, who actually was the one in the movie who shot Miller. The soldier who killed Melish was SS trooper not a wehrmacht soldier like steam boat willy was.

Quoted:
NO WAY!

I heard him say he's coming right for me in german before he pulled the trigger.

Actually, he said "Upham, I know you" or something to that affect, I can't really remember as it has been a while since I last saw it.

This ... he called Upham by fucking name!!!!! some random SS guy just fucking guesses his name??

No...THAT was Steamboat Willie, but he isn't the same guy who killed Mellesch.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok... so SS guy in the house spared Upham (and he's out of the movie after that.)

Upham then shoots Steamboat Willie in the line up? That's entirely unacceptable then. I thought he shot Steamboat for killing his friend (which at least would have an obvious justification.)

Now you got it EXCEPT Steamboat Willie DID shoot Captain Miller.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Sometimes justice isn't handed out by a tribunal.   Not to mention he wasn't a POW until taken into custody.  He was still an enemy combatant.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

He lied.

Holy shit, I never made that connection!

I just knew he was the guy who killed the the Jewish guy and the dude from The Unit upstairs, and left it at that.

But Upham shouldn't be tried for that. But for being a fucking coward...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I always hated that scene. It would have been better if the Germans recognized that Upham was not going to shoot them, and shot him instead. Not that I was rooting for the Germans. We can't all be HSLD operators, and Upham made it clear in the staircase scene that he was useful as a translator but useless in a fight. I don't know where he got the gumption to go all Rambo on the Germans, but the change rang false with me.

I say this in full recognition of the fact that Upham is the character I most resemble in that movie. It's just that I respect that badassery is not something that visits itself upon hapless geeks but instead is something both inherent and earned.

No way can I truly judge Upham. That's a scenario I've never even been close too. It's easy to say one thing from our couches but there are many factors that might be mitigating. Upham was never a combat soldier, probably had little training as such. Soldiers were drafted then too or maybe were not the type to regularly join the Army. He just may not have had the correct mindset in general. And lastly, who can say how much sleep he had. Maybe he had 2 hours in the last 40. That can fuck you up pretty bad.

That scene is obviously meant to be thought provoking and it worked for me.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is,what it is.

Those weren't Germans.

Then what were they? One even had a Hitler Youth Knife.

IIRC some were Polish "volunteers".
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way can I truly judge Upham. That's a scenario I've never even been close too. It's easy to say one thing from our couches but there are many factors that might be mitigating. Upham was never a combat soldier, probably had little training as such. Soldiers were drafted then too or maybe were not the type to regularly join the Army. He just may not have had the correct mindset in general. And lastly, who can say how much sleep he had. Maybe he had 2 hours in the last 40. That can fuck you up pretty bad.

Yes, that's my point. The other members of the squad had fought their way across Africa and Italy, and gotten through D-Day. They were the survivors. This should mean something.

Maybe it's because I think there should be more tragedy and sacrifice in serious stories. It seems more fitting to me that Upham should have been doomed the moment Captain Miller forced him to join the squad. He would be useful as a translator until he got killed, being completely out of his element. Nothing against him, just more true to his character. I don't like the movie cliche of geek-turned-warrior, and in this case I don't see any basis for the transformation. Upham was completely broken by that point, but through the magic of Hollywood he somehow got his shit together in a couple of minutes.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, that's my point. The other members of the squad had fought their way across Africa and Italy, and gotten through D-Day. They were the survivors. This should mean something.

Maybe it's because I think there should be more tragedy and sacrifice in serious stories. It seems more fitting to me that Upham should have been doomed the moment Captain Miller forced him to join the squad. He would be useful as a translator until he got killed, being completely out of his element. Nothing against him, just more true to his character. I don't like the movie cliche of geek-turned-warrior, and in this case I don't see any basis for the transformation. Upham was completely broken by that point, but through the magic of Hollywood he somehow got his shit together in a couple of minutes.

I quoted your post rather than other because we agreed on that point

I like that Upham survived though. It added to the unpredictability.  I also liked his change. He had time for the death being his fault to sink in and he saw the guy shoot Captain Miller. Upham liked Captain Miller so that pissed him off. I don't think he transformed into a badass, he just learned to be a soldier. I figure a transformation like that was hardly unique in WWII. Maybe less common and certainly not as poignant and dramatic most of the time. But turning from frigthened guy into a soldier happened to millions.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He lied.

He had to have been found by other germans before hand, what could he have done? Told them "Sorry, these nice Americans let me go, so I can't fight anymore." They would have executed him, and rightly so. Even if he WANTED to no longer fight, and tried to find an American patrol to turn himself in to, what choice would he have if found by the germans 1st? Maybe the entire battle he was trying not to hit anyone.

What Auphem did was no different than if I just executed someone who tried to mug me, and surrendered when his gun jammed or something.

Of course, for all we know, that guy just got done doing a tour on the eastern front raping and murdering his way across half of russia.

If I was on your jury I couldn't vote to convict.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#33]
"What was he saying?"

"Look Ma. I washed for supper!"
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I quoted your post rather than other because we agreed on that point

I like that Upham survived though. It added to the unpredictability. I also liked his change. He had time for the death being his fault to sink in and he saw the guy shoot Captain Miller. Upham liked Captain Miller so that pissed him off. I don't think he transformed into a badass, he just learned to be a soldier. I figure a transformation like that was hardly unique in WWII. Maybe less common and certainly not as poignant and dramatic most of the time. But turning from frigthened guy into a soldier happened to millions.

I see your point. A lot of guys made that transition.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He lied.

eta

Ya he shot the guy that they previously captured, who actually was the one in the movie who shot Miller. The soldier who killed Melish was SS trooper not a wehrmacht soldier like steam boat willy was.

Quoted:
NO WAY!

I heard him say he's coming right for me in german before he pulled the trigger.

Actually, he said "Upham, I know you" or something to that affect, I can't really remember as it has been a while since I last saw it.

This ... he called Upham by fucking name!!!!! some random SS guy just fucking guesses his name??

The American was calling his name first, so he copied him. IT IS TWO DIFFERENT CHARACTERS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

Yes....the Americans were all SCREAMING his name for more ammo...the German overheard.
eta Now that I think about it. The AMericans were calling down the stairwell to him, but it wasnt upham it was the German, so now he knew who Upham was.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Jesus guys.  

The german machine gunner who surrendered, was let go to "turn himself in", came back at the end with the group of 8 or so others at the other side of the bridge. Upham noticed him at this point as the guy he fought to let go, then saw him shooting down US soldiers, including the captain.

The SS guy who stabbed Melish not only was a different guy entirely, but he didn't say one fucking word to Upham on the staircase.  Whether or not he heard Uphams name called is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:11:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lied.

FAIL!!!!!!!! Same fucking guy!!

ETA stealth edit^^

Not so stealthy if you point it out.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#38]
The correct answer was posted earlier:after taking out the MG-42 nest, the squad had no reasonable way to enforce "Steamboat Willie"s"surrender.
Ergo,Capt. Miller should have restored order,and told his ranking NCO to have the prisoner executed in a military manner.
Ugly,but there it is.
War is Hell.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes if Eric Holder was in charge back then.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Should we hand out speeding tickets at the Indy 500?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Hell no. Look what happened to the German they let go.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lied.

eta

I think they were one and the same.  Steamboat willie also shot several others on the bridge.

He deserved no second chance.  Incidentally, it's a shame Upham wasn't killed by friendly fire when the fighters arrived.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lied.

eta

I think they were one and the same.  Steamboat willie also shot several others on the bridge.

He deserved no second chance.  Incidentally, it's a shame Upham wasn't killed by friendly fire when the fighters arrived.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He should be charged for being a faggot-ass pussy.

Yup, no one loves a Buddy Fucker.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The correct answer was posted earlier:after taking out the MG-42 nest, the squad had no reasonable way to enforce "Steamboat Willie"s"surrender.
Ergo,Capt. Miller should have restored order,and told his ranking NCO to have the prisoner executed in a military manner.
Ugly,but there it is.
War is Hell.

Not sure where you leaned Law of War or leadership.

In regards to number 1, the ONLY legal thing to do was to let him go (or leave him tied up if you have reason to believe he will be found (which they did))
In regards to number 2, you don't delegate murder.  If the ranking dude wants to execute a prisoner, he does it himself.  that way only he will be held criminally liable.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Just finished a good book on WW2 regarding the mop up and collapse of Germany.

According to the auther it was pretty common for Nazi SS or paratroop POW's to try and "escape" and not make it back to the staging area.  The Allies had experienced so many atrocities and murderous lack of respect for human life they wouldn't waste their time or risk their life with these guys.

He would not have been charged.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#48]
those are the types of actions, that are the reason why imbedded reporters are a bad idea for combat units.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Yup.

Court martialed, found guilty, fined a dollar and been given a carton of cigarettes.

Of course the board would be guilty of a proceedural error and the whole thing would be overturned by higher authority.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
those are the types of actions, that are the reason why imbedded reporters are a bad idea for combat units.

Yup.

(Unless the reporter is someone like Ernie Pyle)

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top